FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» McDonald’s අපේ නෙමෙයි අපේ බෝස්ගේ – අබාන්ස් කියයි
by ChooBoy Today at 10:19 am

» AI Assistance for Stock Market Research and Analysis
by ChatGPT Today at 7:12 am

» Comparative Analysis of the Insurance Sector
by God Father Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:46 pm

» Sri Lanka: Why Pay Exorbitant Taxes?
by ChatGPT Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:52 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by K.R Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:15 pm

» CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC (CIND.N0000)
by D.G.Dayaratne Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:11 am

» SIYAPATHA FINANACE PLC (SLFL.N0000)
by ChatGPT Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:58 am

» FINANCE AND LEASING SECTOR
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:45 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:36 am

» CIC HOLDINGS PLC (CIC.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:18 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:15 am

» First Capital Holdings PLC: Current Financial performance and future outlook
by God Father Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:58 pm

» LankaBizz: Sri Lanka's First ever Artificially Intelligent (AI) Business and Research Assistant
by God Father Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:27 am

» HOTEL AND TRAVEL SECTOR
by ErangaDS Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:22 am

» CIC Holdings Good Times Ahead
by ashan silva Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 am

» EPF Fund keep eye on low P/E Shares
by K.R Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:45 am

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Hawk Eye Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:37 am

» Ceylon cold stores
by Hawk Eye Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:25 am

» Asha securities Provide buy signal for CIC
by ddrperera Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:10 am

» CSE ready for another Downtrend?
by D.G.Dayaratne Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:24 am

» LankaLAW Forum : Sri Lanka’s #1 Discussion Platform for Legal Questions and Answers
by blindhog Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:14 am

» Sri Lanka poised to benefit from demand surge for ‘non-China origin’ graphite
by samaritan Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:31 pm

» LOLC hotels
by Maharaja Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:34 pm

» AEL target price ?
by suku502 Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:26 am

» WAPO 200% UP
by LAMDA Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:33 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Use Sri Lankan banks for credit cards and savings

+14
amilaela
smallville
Liber Abaci
Kumar
TortoizePlus
bakapandithaya
dumindasn
Rajitha
insidertrader
hirankb
ccsentha
rjeranimo
Kithsiri
duke
18 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

duke

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

I'm pretty sure majority of you here have credit cards from international banks and many must have very special-advanced-gold-platinum-diamond accounts.

Wouldn't it be great if you go for credit cards from the local banks? There are lots of choices. And the offers are just the same or much better. You won't have a security guard greeting good morning with a fake smile or bank assistants who sometimes bend too much but the service will be the same and you won't be charged for every single thing. (I'm not sure but may be that good morning smile must have charged somewhere)

If you do that you're helping your banks to grow. Why pay your fees, interest to foreign banks?

Just the same, use savings accounts of local banks? More deposits mean they don't have to go for loans. This will help your banks either private or government.

Remember the hedging deal fiasco? Two or three of those international banks and one of the international banks which some of you may have savings accounts or credit cards sued your government. Sri Lankan banks withdrew. Why give those international banks more profits?

Cancel your international bank credit cards. Get a Sri Lankan one. Move your money to Sri Lankan banks. Someday these banks will be operating all over the world not just one or 2 countries, just like those international banks are.

Kithsiri

Kithsiri
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Not a bad thought but where people trying to break down walls around them, should we try to erect more? Very Happy

rjeranimo

rjeranimo
Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

OK...That's good.But...... i have 3 Credit cards on different banks, 2 banks are local and 1 is foreign. foreign bank is increasing my Credit limit according to my purchasing capacity. i never ask them to increase my limit. but they do it according to my transaction capacity. That's better. I'm very happy with them.but local banks never do that. if i ask them to do that they ask my pay slip and a letter to do so...and blah...blah...So why i go after local banks?

ccsentha

Vice President - Equity Analytics

In foreign banks, bank assistants may bend, but in local banks, if u need to do some thing u have to bend too much.

hirankb

hirankb
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Actually the best thing to do is use foreign banks credit cards for all purchases and pay full amount on time. so no interest and charges but your are using the banks money interest free for 1 month. if you really really have to it is better to draw cash from your credit card of local bank and pay the foreign credit card.When it comes to local banks I am a customer of CB and SB for the past 20+ years. I am yet to experience any issues what so ever with them though the bank staff of both these banks do not bend for you.An occational newbe acts up and a good brotherly blasting straightens them up and get the job done most effieicently and if they screw up the manager himself apologizes and takes corrective action. what more can you ask from a bank. On several urgent occation they even conducted buisness for me even after banking hours and I am no multimillionair businesmen. As for updrading credit limit.... please do not request credit more than your payment capacity.... Just like stocks .

if your request is genuine and legitamate these two banks will get it done with no issues or hazzle.

Please note I am no promoter of these two banks.

insidertrader

Manager - Equity Analytics

Good comments and I agree. Lankan credit card market is dominated by international banks and looks like it won't change.

Although stock traders are very optimistic about massive profits and massive growth in 'undervalued banks' in their view, these comments show that in reality it's a different story.

Rajitha

Rajitha
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

BOC here ! Every dam account except where i get paid my monthly salary! ( Peoples bank another local)

dumindasn

Stock Analytic
Stock Analytic

rjeranimo wrote:OK...That's good.But...... i have 3 Credit cards on different banks, 2 banks are local and 1 is foreign. foreign bank is increasing my Credit limit according to my purchasing capacity. i never ask them to increase my limit. but they do it according to my transaction capacity. That's better. I'm very happy with them.but local banks never do that. if i ask them to do that they ask my pay slip and a letter to do so...and blah...blah...So why i go after local banks?

I think the reason is, foreign banks are using AI systems (Artificial Intelligent) to monitor credit cards. so the system automatically check your all transaction, on time payment, purchasing items and many more. Based on many of those small things the systems decide whether to increase the limit or add any other facility to you. unfortunately local banks are still not in that level so that's why they are asking for pay slips and letter to increase the limit.

bakapandithaya

bakapandithaya

Agree with duke. We should use local banks Credit cards

TortoizePlus

TortoizePlus

Good point.. if we all can think about our country whenever we can then then this country should be better than this.

I cancelled my HSBC card and got SAMPATH one year ago.. because I got better service.. even less intrest..

I never go to IOC for pump Petral even they sell for the same price.. why we should increse profit of a foreign company..

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

Hope soon some will not participate in the Forum because the Data base is held somewhere in a Foreign Cloud lol!

Kumar

Kumar

Be srilankan and use all the srilankan amenities are good principal.
But most of the stuffs what we are eating,drinking,using etc are importing from abroad no?
Due to globalisation,now a days these patriotic desires won't work.
Even the government in third world countries need the WB and others to support their day to day running.

Liber Abaci

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

duke wrote:
............Wouldn't it be great if you go for credit cards from the local banks? There are lots of choices. And the offers are just the same or much better.
No one should do it for “greatness”.
Evaluate the rate of interest , charges . Even service vise, compare and see which service is beneficial cost-wise. Minimum interest/charges ( including the cost of services ) should be the only criteria , when you decide on a credit card provider. Why should you consider any other criteria in financial transactions ?

If you do that you're helping your banks to grow. Why pay your fees, interest to foreign banks? Just the same, use savings accounts of local banks? More deposits mean they don't have to go for loans. This will help your banks either private or government.

Why should you HELP local BANKS ?
Whether local or foreign , the fundamental objective of every BANK is to maximize the return to shareholders. Shareholders appoint directors to do that, and compensate them accordingly. Directors appoint CEO and other employees to do that and remunerate them with salaries bonuses, share options etc.
Your decision in banking transactions should be return on your investment and the lower cost ( including services ). Nothing else.
Banks, whether local or foreign , don’t need your HELP. They only need your money ....... to make more bonuses to employees, more dividends /capital gains to shareholders. That’s all.
If you really want to HELP some “Institutions “, there are enough LOCAL charities . Most of you read, quote, follow ( yet some worship ) a person called Warren Buffett . Why don’t you follow him in charitable work also ?

Remember the hedging deal fiasco? Two or three of those international banks and one of the international banks which some of you may have savings accounts or credit cards sued your government. Sri Lankan banks withdrew. Why give those international banks more profits?
International banks did not sue the Government. They sue Ceylon petroleum corporation, because CPC entered into a legally enforceable contract with them and CPC failed to honor the contract . Shouldn't rule of law prevail ? .
Sri Lankan banks withdrew because of political pressure, not for any other reason.

Yes, we clearly remember the role of politicians including cabinet of ministers ( with head of state at chair ), cabinet sub committee, minister in charge of CPC. Also we are clearly aware the role of Central Bank Governor, Treasurer Secretary, Attorney General, CPC -chairman, finance director. Do I have to mention who appointed those beaurocrats to those positions, ( and the education qualifications of chairman CPC) ?
Forgetting all these, should we withdraw savings accounts from international banks, just because they sue OUR government ?.

................ Move your money to Sri Lankan banks. Someday these banks will be operating all over the world not just one or 2 countries, just like those international banks are.

This is interesting.
As you have predicted suppose someday Sri Lankan Banks set up operations in countries all over the world. Whenever that day,“ truly patriotic “ people will be there in every country, ( they won’t disappear) and suppose they decide to act as you suggest , (ie withdraw savings and credit cards). Then these international /Sri Lankan banks will suffer and the share prices of those banks ( at CSE) will drastically come down.
Forum members......those who hold Bank shares for long term ......be aware !!!!!

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

I was in the same view and blaming these guys for lethargic reactive work.
But if you give good thought on this, what the foreign bank does is taking you to hell with more and more credit.. Too much- no controlled credit destroyed CSE even so what guarantee you have that you can stay away from using it..

when we know we can buy something on credit, regardless of our repayment abilities we do jump in and buy it..
Then when the CC bill comes, weep on the payments..
No stopping there.. we cannot pay their monthly sum but we keep buyin till the credit runs out..
Then they keep increasing the limits.. so we buy more and more..
when we cant pay the huge bills anymore they start calling us Wink

See the unnecessary hassles we're putting ourselves into?

Local banks request a slip to make sure u have the capacity to pay back the full amount within a certain time period..

So Don't be stupid..

amilaela

amilaela

thnaks for info

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001851586843

Hawk Eye

Hawk Eye
Expert
Expert

Smallville is correct.

You will help the local banks by holding a debit card. First cancell all the debit cards in foreign banks and shift to local banks.

Flashmark

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

Yes I partially agree with you duke. Because foreign bank providing credit cards with higher credit limit. But local banks credit limit too low.
Local banks annual fee, other charges(stamp duty?) and interest rate lower than foreign bank credit cards.

taking about loans, Foreign bank well ahead than local banks. Low interest rate,higher loan amout(sometime 5 times or more than local banks), friendly and quick service (they come to our office or home to collect all the details.No need to go there and waste our time)...etc.

Our local banks should need to improve there are services as foriegn banks.I hope it will happen soon.

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

Whether it is locally issued or otherwise, fools spend beyond their means & weep.
So the Foreign bank is at fault is very ludicrous.

Gaja

Well friend i have equal number of local and foreign credit cards, here i will say in my opinion why local banks are behind foreign banks on the credit card market.

01) Most of us used to travel to overseas for several reasons, so when you try to use the local card in the foreign country they look card with suspect, even one time i told the cashier at world known hotel that your requirement is VISA or MasterCard connection and that logo was there on the card, so why you worry about the issuing bank.

02) Up to recent time Annual Fees was lower on the local cards but recently one International Bank gave 2 type of cards free for life.

03) when you call for customer service line GENERALLY you have wait for long time to get the respond you wanted in local banks

04) Its true that issuing credit cards have issues to the banks, but sometimes local banks tend to asked for more documents and other proof before issuing the cards to even there long term customers

I personally feel if the local banks sort out some of this practical issues i hope they will get more share on this market as well

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya

We should divert to local banks but at the sametime local banks should improve their service which can be done with attitude change of employees.

Kumar

Kumar

Talking about ethics won't work.
First we need to follow.
BTW the following points not directly related to this subject, but I hope they got some sort of influence.

In our country most of the public as well as private sector employee's behaviour towards customers need to be uplift.
Particularly most of the govt organisation are corrupted.
Red tape mania still in the govt sector.
Eradicate bribe is the most wanted thing.

Liber Abaci

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

smallville wrote: .......................................
when we know we can buy something on credit, regardless of our repayment abilities we do jump in and buy it..
Then when the CC bill comes, weep on the payments..
No stopping there.. we cannot pay their monthly sum but we keep buyin till the credit runs out..
Then they keep increasing the limits.. so we buy more and more..
when we cant pay the huge bills anymore they start calling us Wink
See the unnecessary hassles we're putting ourselves into? ..............................
This is interesting !!!
# when someone can’t manage his /her personal finance ( with a credit card facility ) , blame the creditor (and ..... if they are a foreign party , chase them out of the Country )
Similarly, I suggest
# when we purchase shares from the market , and if the price declines , blame the seller, call him manipulator (and ...... let’s try to put him in the jail )
# when we buy shares from an IPO , and if the price declines in the first day of trading , blame the Issuer (and..... let’s try to hang him in the open Court )

( Can someone tell me the meaning of ......” crybabies “)

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

Liber Abaci wrote:
This is interesting !!!
( Can someone tell me the meaning of ......” crybabies “)
You have already defined it nicely. Very Happy
Blame others and take no responsibility is a Sri Lankan (endemic) trait. Shocked

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum