Sri Lanka Equity Forum
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka Equity Forum would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
Sri Lanka Equity Forum

Discussion Forum for Stock Market Investors in Sri Lanka

සිංහල පරිවර්තනය
Submit Post
Submit Post
Market Place

Add an ad

View all ads

Latest topics

» ACME AND LDEV
by Ahcha Today at 5:27 am

» RENUKA CAPITAL PLC KZOO.N0000@2.80
by Teller Today at 4:53 am

» Time for BFN -ACME - LDEV -BALA
by Teller Today at 4:45 am

» CBSL to reduce lending rates further to help SMEs
by Teller Today at 4:42 am

» Guys Look for DPL@5.20
by fireshelter Yesterday at 10:53 pm

» LLUB Pattern reversed. Good buy @60, target +20%
by EquityChamp Yesterday at 8:37 pm

» Why AAIC Should trade above RS.50/-
by wisdom79 Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» Look APLA its trending to 98LKR
by EquityChamp Yesterday at 11:56 am

» SLTL should touch 30/-
by Teller Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:29 pm

» Sri Lanka Dialog Axiata net profits up 21-pct in June quarter
by EquityChamp Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:14 pm

» RCL.N0000 - Trading at a discounted prcice.
by EquityChamp Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:07 pm

» Will ACME touch the peak in this week.?
by wisdom79 Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:21 am

» SFIN.N will hit Rs 15.50 today
by Teller Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:15 am

» CSE BULLISH MODE TO CONTINUE
by Yahapalanaya Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:34 pm

» AEL lovers good news..Rusi again back on the track to AEL....
by samansilva Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:25 pm

» TKYO.X0000 will it move furthur?
by MarketRambo Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:24 am

» Softlogic Eyes Asia, Africa For Expansion
by Capton KIng Cool Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:02 am

» Tommorow's winning encounters
by Winner123 Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:19 pm

» lOFC definitely will hit 6/-
by fireshelter Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:29 pm

» BFN BFN BFN ගොන් කම අත ඇරල ටික කාලයක් අල්ලන් හිටියනම් ඔක්කොමලා ගොඩ BFN BFN BUY AND HOLD -
by sanjulanka Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:38 pm

» Market will test 4700
by Promoney Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:38 am

» NEXT RUN People's leasing and Finance WAIT AND WATCH ENJOY RIDE..
by karuna2 Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:07 am

» SFIN.N will be the next bull run
by Bakka1988 Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:33 pm

» Next super star SINGER FINANCE..
by samansilva Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:49 am

» LOFC -XR big transaction
by Promoney Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:03 am

» Momentum will begin after 5400
by prabath Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:12 am

» WATA future looks good
by Teller Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:36 am

» RICH is not bad @ 9/-
by Teller Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:33 am

» Look PAP Amazing company
by Teller Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:03 am

» NEXT GEM.. HNB Non voting (HNB X)..
by samansilva Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:20 pm

» LIOC upward curve
by samansilva Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:17 pm

» IDL IDL IDL
by samansilva Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:15 am

» No Confidance motion against the Government was defeted by 119 and 92 against. 13 Absent
by Capton KIng Cool Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:28 am

» Contact us for your bank instruments such as SBLC/BG/LC/MTN 100% Protected
by summitplc Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:04 pm

» Contact us for your bank instruments such as SBLC/BG/LC/MTN 100% Protected
by summitplc Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:00 pm

» PAN ASIA POWER
by Nuwan Samarawickrama Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:58 pm

» Today JVP's No confidance motation in the Parliment is Very cruicial .WHY?
by Yahapalanaya Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:33 pm

» Sri Lanka’s Royal Ceramics group expands contract manufacture in India
by shameen Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:53 am

» CIND , 10% guaranteed return
by Teller Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:45 am

» BUY AEL Few crossings on the way..
by rukshan1234 Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:51 pm

» Unisyst Engineering Known as(Alufab) have annouced a right issue
by Capton KIng Cool Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:43 pm

» what is the future of KHL (JOHN KEELES HOTELS)
by shameen Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:48 pm

» 10 Deadly Trading Mistakes!
by ipo Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:15 am

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sri Lanka Equity Forum » Stock Market Talk » Sumal Suggests Dhammika Perera be Next Presidential Candidate

Sumal Suggests Dhammika Perera be Next Presidential Candidate

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

DS Wijesinghe

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
http://www.ft.lk/front-page/Sumal-suggests-Dhammika-be-next-presidential-candidate/44-661956

(Daily FT) Top entrepreneur Access Group Chairman Sumal Perera on Wednesday suggested that his fellow business leader  Vallibel One Group Chairman Dhammika Perera should consider becoming the next presidential candidate prompted by a scintillating discussion on politics and the economy.  

The duo got entangled in debate along with four other business leaders at the packed ‘Fireside Chat’ organised by the International Chamber of Commerce Sri Lanka (ICCSL), the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) Sri Lanka Division and the Daily FT. 

The event featured Access Group Founder and Chairman Sumal Perera, Hirdaramani Group Director and former Chairman Janak Hirdaramani, Vallibel One Group Founder, Chairman and Managing Director Dhammika Perera, Stassen Group Chairman and Managing Director Harry Jayawardena, MJF Group Founder and Chairman Merrill J. Fernando, and Softlogic Holdings PLC Founder, Chairman and CEO Ashok Pathirage.

During the lengthy discussion that spanned many different topics, the business leaders highlighted the challenges of doing business in an environment riddled with policy inconsistencies and called for stronger engagement with policymakers.   

Despite largely agreeing with his compatriots, Dhammika Perera had a slightly different view, offering to provide extensive expertise to the Government to assist policymakers to understand a range of issues from flood mitigation to debt management. 

His lengthy explanations were received with multiple rounds of enthusiastic applause, and Perera even included sage advice to participants on not becoming depressed over the country’s current political and economic situation. Instead, he advocated for professionals to focus on their work, assuring that Sri Lanka’s economic woes were not as serious as they appeared. His insightful analysis delivered with a sprinkling of humorous comments delighted all participants.     

“Any government asks for technical assistance, and I’m happy to put my time because it is my passion. Even today you can ask how to restructure 40 ministries and I can answer. You can ask me how to restructure total debt, I can answer. I have solutions. I have done the research as part of my business and because I’m not involved in day-to-day operations, I have enough time to do the analysis. It is because I have this knowledge that politicians sometimes seek my assistance and I can put my time into any government. I have no issue. But implementation is the biggest problem,” he said.  

Having heard out Perera on several topics, Sumal Perera suggested that Dhammika Perera toss his hat into the ring to contest the next presidential election. The recommendation of sorts sparked laughter and applause from the audience who appeared to support Sumal Perera’s view. The sprightly discussion also took a slightly contentious turn when the discussions revolved around Government inefficiency, mismanagement and wastage, with Sumal Perera insisting that the taxpaying private sector should have access to better services and support from the public sector. 

“If the private sector is going to be the engine of growth, then you can’t take money from that and give it to an inefficient public sector. It is as simple as that. You can’t take from an efficient sector and give to an inefficient sector. It’s like us having a group of companies and from all our profitable companies we take the profit and keep alive some unprofitable subsidiary. If the private sector is the engine of growth, then you must support that,” said Sumal Perera, giving an example of challenges he faced when taxes for the construction industry were increased under the Inland Revenue Act and Nation Building Tax revisions. 

Dammika Perera responded by pointing out that the Government had to increase its earnings to provide essential services, run the public sector and manage macroeconomic needs such as debt payments.   

“The private sector has to grow, but the Government must also balance their cash flow because otherwise, the country cannot run. I was involved as a policymaker under the previous Government, so I can understand, as both a businessman and a policymaker, how to run the country. We have to balance both. I know that the private sector is unhappy,” he noted. 

At this point, Sumal Perera remarked: “I think you should run for president. I would support you fully.”  

However, Dhammika Perera emphasised that he has no political aspirations and was only keen to extend expertise if requested by the Government.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum