Sri Lanka Equity Forum
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka Equity Forum would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
Sri Lanka Equity Forum

Discussion Forum for Stock Market Investors in Sri Lanka

සිංහල පරිවර්තනය
Submit Post
Submit Post
Market Place

Add an ad

View all ads

Latest topics

» AAIC - Profit over one billion!!!!!
by wisdom79 Today at 7:36 pm

» Positive News
by Promoney Today at 7:24 pm

» Bansei Royal Resorts BRR up 23%
by Invest-Wise Today at 4:52 pm

» BIL පුපුරා යාමට ආසන්නයි
by Winner123 Today at 4:30 pm

» Market again heading to 4800? :D
by Ahcha Today at 3:38 pm

» RAL....RAL, Renuka Agri
by nirowat Today at 3:33 pm

» Massive Fraud At AEL subsidiry
by ThilinaM Today at 2:30 pm

» Just About Prima Glass – GLAS
by KOLAA Today at 1:18 pm

» LOOKOUT FOR SIRA
by Eugine Fernando Today at 12:51 pm

» SEMB.N predictions
by 4Corners Today at 10:14 am

» FORUM POLITICIANS
by CITIZEN Today at 10:10 am

» After Advanced level what is
by lankaspeaker Today at 9:57 am

» LOTUS TOWER economy
by CITIZEN Today at 9:55 am

» PRESIDENT ELECTION
by Ahcha Today at 7:21 am

» GOOD SHARES TO BUY
by Teller Yesterday at 11:23 pm

» Why AAIC Should trade above RS.50/-
by wisdom79 Yesterday at 7:56 pm

» Stupid fucking UNP and ranils ass hole economics
by samaritan Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» KAPI (MDT Walkers PLc)
by samaritan Yesterday at 7:12 pm

» Learn To Invest Yourself.
by Asoka Samarakone Yesterday at 5:56 pm

» DIVIDEND UPDATES Link
by Beta1 Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» lOFC definitely will hit 6/-
by Teller Yesterday at 1:04 am

» Renuka managemnt Treat SH as Trash
by Sanju121 Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:36 pm

» Blue Diamonds Voting & Non Voting
by Ahcha Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:35 am

» MULL trade up possibilities
by crs Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:22 pm

» MARA marai
by SECsux Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:22 pm

» SLTL REVALUATION OF ASSETS IS ON............
by Eng Krishantha Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:06 pm

» LIOC shares
by lakmal Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:47 pm

» JKH will touch 175 very soon
by Rare Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:10 am

» ඇවන්ගාඩ් අල්ලස් නඩුවෙන් ගෝඨාභය නිදහස්
by samansilva Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:25 am

» Invest AEL and TKYO return more than 30%...
by samaritan Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:15 pm

» Watch Out for MAL.X
by Cricketman Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:56 pm

» LOOKOUT FOR GLASS
by Sanju121 Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:02 pm

» NEXT RUN LDEV
by Sanju121 Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:28 pm

» BIL. N mandatory offer at Rs 6.80
by Equityinvestor Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:05 pm

» PAP vs RAL
by Teller Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:04 am

» RAL AND KZOO
by Ahcha Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:40 am

» Look PAP Amazing company
by reyaz Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:21 am

» RENUKA CAPITAL PLC KZOO.N0000@2.80
by ThilinaM Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:56 am

» PIRAMAL GLASS (GLAS)
by Sanju121 Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:45 am

» AEL CAPITAL TRUST 24.50?
by samaritan Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:39 am

» Kzoo vs onal
by fireshelter Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:56 pm

» Still you can Enter to CFVF.N0000 :
by Trader321 Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:55 pm

» Only equity stocks are discussed here!
by reyaz Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:36 pm


You are not connected. Please login or register

Sri Lanka Equity Forum » Stock Market Talk » Buy When There's Blood in the Streets

Buy When There's Blood in the Streets

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Buy When There's Blood in the Streets Empty Buy When There's Blood in the Streets on Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:51 am

God Father


Stock Analytic
Stock Analytic
The worse things seem in the market, the better the opportunities are for profit is contrarian investing at its heart.

Baron Rothschild, an 18th century British nobleman and member of the Rothschild banking family, is credited with saying that "the time to buy is when there's blood in the streets."

He should know. Rothschild made a fortune buying in the panic that followed the Battle of Waterloo against Napoleon. But that's not the whole story. The original quote is believed to be "Buy when there's blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own."

Most people only want winners in their portfolios, but as Warren Buffett warned "You pay a very high price in the stock market for a cheery consensus." In other words, if everyone agrees with your investment decision, then it's probably not a good one.


Going Against the Crowd 

Contrarians, as the name implies, try to do the opposite of the crowd. They get excited when an otherwise good company has a sharp, but undeserved drop in share price. They swim against the current, and assume the market is usually wrong at both its extreme lows and highs. The more prices swing, the more misguided they believe the rest of the market to be.

A contrarian investor believes the people who say the market is going up do so only when they are fully invested and have no further purchasing power. At this point, the market is at a peak; when people predict a downturn, they have already sold out, at which point the market can only go up.


Bad Times Make for Good Buys 

Contrarian investors have historically made their best investments during times of market turmoil. During the crash of 1987 (also known as "Black Monday"), the Dow dropped 22% in one day in the U.S. In the 1973-74 bear market, the market lost 45% in about 22 months. The September 11, 2001, attacks also resulted in a sizable market drop. The list goes on and on, but those are times when contrarians found their best investments.

The 1973-74 bear market gave Warren Buffett the opportunity to purchase a stake in the Washington Post Company – an investment that has subsequently increased by more than 100-times the purchase price – that's before dividendsare included. At the time, Buffett said he was buying shares in the company at a deep discount, as evidenced by the fact that the company could have "sold the (Post's) assets to any one of 10 buyers for not less than $400 million, probably appreciably more." Meanwhile, the Washington Post Company had only an $80 million market cap at the time. In 2013, the company was sold to Amazon's billionaire CEO & founder Jeff Bezos for $250 million in cash.

After the September 11 terrorist attacks, the world stopped flying for awhile. Suppose that at this time, you had made an investment in Boeing (BA), one of the world's largest builders of commercial aircraft. Boeing's stock didn't bottom until about a year after September 11, but from there, it rose more than four-times in value over the next five years. Clearly, although September 11th soured market sentiment about the airline industry for quite some time, those who did their research and were willing to bet that Boeing would survive were well rewarded.

Also during that time, Marty Whitman, manager of the Third Avenue Value Fund, purchased bonds of K-Mart both before and after it filed for bankruptcyprotection in 2002. He only paid about 20 cents on the dollar for the bonds. Even though for awhile it looked like the company would shut its doors for good, Whitman was vindicated when the company emerged from bankruptcy and his bonds were exchanged for stock in the new K-Mart. The shares jumped much higher in the years following the reorganization before being taken over by Sears (SHLD), with a nice profit for Whitman. 

Sir John Templeton ran the Templeton Growth Fund from 1954 to 1992, when he sold it. Each $10,000 invested in the fund's Class A shares in 1954 would have grown to $2 million by 1992, with dividends reinvested, or an annualized return of about 14.5%. Templeton pioneered international investing. He was also a serious contrarian investor, buying into countries and companies when, according to his principle, they hit the "point of maximum pessimism."

As an example of this strategy, Templeton bought shares of every public European company at the outset of World War II in 1939, including many that were in bankruptcy. He did this with borrowed money to boot. After four years, he sold the shares for a very large profit.


The Risks of Contrarian Investing 

While the most famous contrarian investors put big money on the line, swam against the current of common opinion and came out on top, they also did some serious research to ensure that the crowd was indeed wrong. So, when a stock takes a nosedive, this doesn't prompt a contrarian investor to put in an immediate buy order, but to find out what has driven the stock down, and whether the drop in price is justified.

Figuring out which distressed stocks to buy and selling them once the company recovers is the major play for contrarian investors. This can lead to securities returning gains much higher than usual. However, being too optimistic on hyped stocks can have the opposite effect.

The Bottom Line 

While each of these successful contrarian investors has their own strategy for valuing potential investments, they all have the one strategy in common – they let the market bring the deals to them, rather than chasing after them.

2Buy When There's Blood in the Streets Empty Re: Buy When There's Blood in the Streets on Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:37 pm

Yahapalanaya

Yahapalanaya
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Basketball Basketball Basketball
"the time to buy is when there's blood in the streets."

3Buy When There's Blood in the Streets Empty Re: Buy When There's Blood in the Streets on Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:20 pm

Uaecoindubai

Uaecoindubai
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
My advise is dont buy any share ATM except 6 companies are ok in PV inners innovative positive trendz PF

4Buy When There's Blood in the Streets Empty Re: Buy When There's Blood in the Streets on Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:33 pm

Soilconomy


Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
@Uaecoindubai wrote:My advise is dont buy any share ATM  except 6 companies are ok in PV inners innovative positive trendz PF
Normally investors dont get advise from Kids  Razz Razz

5Buy When There's Blood in the Streets Empty Re: Buy When There's Blood in the Streets on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:00 pm

sanjulanka


Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
@Soilconomy wrote:
@Uaecoindubai wrote:My advise is dont buy any share ATM  except 6 companies are ok in PV inners innovative positive trendz PF
Normally investors dont get advise from Kids  Razz Razz
Huta... Shocked Shocked Shocked Sad Sad Sad

6Buy When There's Blood in the Streets Empty Re: Buy When There's Blood in the Streets on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:48 pm

hammurabi

hammurabi
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
A very good article. Much appreciated 

@God Father wrote:The worse things seem in the market, the better the opportunities are for profit is contrarian investing at its heart.

Baron Rothschild, an 18th century British nobleman and member of the Rothschild banking family, is credited with saying that "the time to buy is when there's blood in the streets."

He should know. Rothschild made a fortune buying in the panic that followed the Battle of Waterloo against Napoleon. But that's not the whole story. The original quote is believed to be "Buy when there's blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own."

Most people only want winners in their portfolios, but as Warren Buffett warned "You pay a very high price in the stock market for a cheery consensus." In other words, if everyone agrees with your investment decision, then it's probably not a good one.


Going Against the Crowd 



Contrarians, as the name implies, try to do the opposite of the crowd. They get excited when an otherwise good company has a sharp, but undeserved drop in share price. They swim against the current, and assume the market is usually wrong at both its extreme lows and highs. The more prices swing, the more misguided they believe the rest of the market to be.

A contrarian investor believes the people who say the market is going up do so only when they are fully invested and have no further purchasing power. At this point, the market is at a peak; when people predict a downturn, they have already sold out, at which point the market can only go up.


Bad Times Make for Good Buys 



Contrarian investors have historically made their best investments during times of market turmoil. During the crash of 1987 (also known as "Black Monday"), the Dow dropped 22% in one day in the U.S. In the 1973-74 bear market, the market lost 45% in about 22 months. The September 11, 2001, attacks also resulted in a sizable market drop. The list goes on and on, but those are times when contrarians found their best investments.

The 1973-74 bear market gave Warren Buffett the opportunity to purchase a stake in the Washington Post Company – an investment that has subsequently increased by more than 100-times the purchase price – that's before dividendsare included. At the time, Buffett said he was buying shares in the company at a deep discount, as evidenced by the fact that the company could have "sold the (Post's) assets to any one of 10 buyers for not less than $400 million, probably appreciably more." Meanwhile, the Washington Post Company had only an $80 million market cap at the time. In 2013, the company was sold to Amazon's billionaire CEO & founder Jeff Bezos for $250 million in cash.

After the September 11 terrorist attacks, the world stopped flying for awhile. Suppose that at this time, you had made an investment in Boeing (BA), one of the world's largest builders of commercial aircraft. Boeing's stock didn't bottom until about a year after September 11, but from there, it rose more than four-times in value over the next five years. Clearly, although September 11th soured market sentiment about the airline industry for quite some time, those who did their research and were willing to bet that Boeing would survive were well rewarded.

Also during that time, Marty Whitman, manager of the Third Avenue Value Fund, purchased bonds of K-Mart both before and after it filed for bankruptcyprotection in 2002. He only paid about 20 cents on the dollar for the bonds. Even though for awhile it looked like the company would shut its doors for good, Whitman was vindicated when the company emerged from bankruptcy and his bonds were exchanged for stock in the new K-Mart. The shares jumped much higher in the years following the reorganization before being taken over by Sears (SHLD), with a nice profit for Whitman. 

Sir John Templeton ran the Templeton Growth Fund from 1954 to 1992, when he sold it. Each $10,000 invested in the fund's Class A shares in 1954 would have grown to $2 million by 1992, with dividends reinvested, or an annualized return of about 14.5%. Templeton pioneered international investing. He was also a serious contrarian investor, buying into countries and companies when, according to his principle, they hit the "point of maximum pessimism."

As an example of this strategy, Templeton bought shares of every public European company at the outset of World War II in 1939, including many that were in bankruptcy. He did this with borrowed money to boot. After four years, he sold the shares for a very large profit.


The Risks of Contrarian Investing 



While the most famous contrarian investors put big money on the line, swam against the current of common opinion and came out on top, they also did some serious research to ensure that the crowd was indeed wrong. So, when a stock takes a nosedive, this doesn't prompt a contrarian investor to put in an immediate buy order, but to find out what has driven the stock down, and whether the drop in price is justified.

Figuring out which distressed stocks to buy and selling them once the company recovers is the major play for contrarian investors. This can lead to securities returning gains much higher than usual. However, being too optimistic on hyped stocks can have the opposite effect.

The Bottom Line 



While each of these successful contrarian investors has their own strategy for valuing potential investments, they all have the one strategy in common – they let the market bring the deals to them, rather than chasing after them.

7Buy When There's Blood in the Streets Empty Re: Buy When There's Blood in the Streets on Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:46 pm

Yahapalanaya

Yahapalanaya
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
@Yahapalanaya wrote:Basketball Basketball Basketball
"the time to buy is when there's blood in the streets."
Now get ready to sell the stockes to Maharajah and his coolies.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum