FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» TIME TO CALL SLT ?
by sureshot Today at 7:42 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Yesterday at 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by blindhog Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:44 am

» ASPI: Undoing GR/Covid19!
by DeepFreakingValue Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 am

» Learn CSE Rules and Regulations with the help of AI Assistant
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:47 am

» Top AI tools in Sri Lanka
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:21 am

» HDFC- Best ever profit reported in 2023
by ApolloCSE Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:43 pm

» WAPO 200% UP
by LAMDA Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:41 pm

» KEGALLE PLANTATIONS PLC (KGAL.N0000)
by DeepFreakingValue Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:04 pm

» ARPICO INSURANCE PLC - Reports LKR 625mn loss for the FY2023
by DeepFreakingValue Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:58 pm

» EXTERMINATORS PLC (EXT.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:59 am

» ALLIANCE FINANCE COMPANY PLC (ALLI.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:29 am

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by Anushka Perz Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:50 pm

» PINS (People's Insurance) will be another UAL
by sakuni Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:22 pm

» A New Record Price for One Tonne of Cocoa on the International Market
by ResearchMan Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:03 pm

» Access Engineering awarded two more contract packages at Colombo Port
by samansilva Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:05 pm

» FMCG Sector LMF, MEL and DIST
by buwr Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:35 am

» CEYLON GUARDIAN INVESTMENT TRUST PLC (GUAR)
by soileconomy Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:00 am

» RWSL - WATCH
by sureshot Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:39 am

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

One SECRET revealed: bending time to earn money

+10
smallville
arrowms
pitbull
tanzanite
pathum
suja
Roboticfx
Slstock
stumpy
hunter
14 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

hunter

hunter

This is supposed to be a sequence to an earlier thread and related posts;

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t9873-untold-secrets-of-the-stock-market-how-to-turn-losses-into-profits#66319

The objective of these discussions is to identify how we can improve our chances of making profits in the stock market.

So far, we have discussed the following:

* If we trade randomly, our winning chances are less than 30%
* A biased (bent) coin can demonstrate the importance of using probability to win in the long run.
* Stock market is made up of 4 variables: shares, prices, volumes and time

Now, let's look at the variable - time.

Usual perception of most of us about time is something like; it always moves forward; it is not reversible; it goes in a straight line etc.

Does time ravel in a straight line always?
Can't we bend it?

If you monitor the stock market or shares over a period of time, you will see non of them (their prices or volumes) move in a straight line. There are always ups, downs sideways etc.

Suppose we knew exactly when a share would start moving up and exactly when it would stop moving.....
That is enough to make a living out of; isn't it?

Now, if you monitor them slowly and more closely, you might suspect, there could possible be a pattern to these movements, or there could be an external pattern of events affecting their movement.

Sounds too technical?

OK, let's make it easier;

There are two type of patterns in the market (with respect to time)

1. Irregular patterns
2. Regular patterns (or cyclic patterns)

OK?

I will take regular patterns or cycles to our discussion first. Let's look at 4 such possible cycles.

1. Time of the year cycle:

There are some shares (please note not all shares only some shares) goes through an annual cycle. For example; there could be shares drop in price during December and rise in price during January, or there could be shares with bottoms in April and peaks in September and so on.

2. Time of the Month.

Likewise, some shares (not all only some) may behave according to a monthly pattern.
For example, their prices may drop during the last week of the month and peak during the mid week etc.

3. Time of the week.

Similarly, we might identify some patterns within a week as well. There could exit shares which go up on Mondays and drop on Fridays etc.

4. Time of the day pattern.

Sometimes, we may see intra-day patterns as well. For example, may be some shares peak between 10~11 am and drop during 12.30~1.30 pm.

In addition to the above, we might see irregular patterns as well. For example, if there has been exceptional drought periods in the country, some of the plantation sector shares may have taken the same pattern of dry period and wet period.

Do I make any sense here?

To make things more significant, we can try combining some of these patterns together. Say, you have identified all 4 cyclic patterns of one share. Then you can wait for buying (in reverse, selling as well) your share until the right month comes and wait further until the right week comes and wait further until the right day comes and finally press the trigger at the right time.

Combination of multiple such cycles can create a powerful-enough standalone tool to bring you consistent profits. Believe me; there could exist some investors just do that and earn regular profits.

Anyway, let's not go into extremes. Let's just attribute a fair percentage of our winning probability to this (bent) nature of time. I would assign 10% to it. Fair enough?

[An additional word here: I am not an expert in identifying all such cycles in time. But there must be experts out there (even in this forum) mastered this subject matter. For example, there could be people who (follow some macroeconomic trends) can say what is the best time to enter (or exit) banking sector shares; there could be experts who can point out the perfect Month to buy (or sell) hotel sector shares. The objective of this discussion is to enable us to identify such patterns ourselves or take expert views with an understanding of their effect on our profit making probability. (time bending) EXPERTS, we want you to help us here!].

OK!

Earlier, our chance of winning was 30%.
Now, with making use of these 'bents' in time, our winning probability becomes 30%+10% = 40%.

But, still 40% is not good enough to make consistent profits.
Therefore, we need to move forward in our quest for more 'bent coins'.

If you find this discussion useful and there are no questions, we can take another 'variable' in to our discussion.

To be contd........

stumpy

stumpy
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Dude! Great content!

Keep it up brother! Very Happy

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics

Hunter,

I appreciate and admire the effort you are putting here. I specially admire an erudite constructive article as I too am an Educator ( University Lecturer by profession).

I also like your style of explaining and approach.

Keep going and All the very best.

Last edited by slstock on Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Roboticfx

Roboticfx
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

I think with these methods( further need more)
we can gain 90%. Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

Hunter, your post is very convenient for all kinds of stock traders.
Thank You! Very Happy

yea! pattern is the base of share movements. I have also experienced it.
I hope more things related to this topic Sir! Very Happy

Wish you all the best! Very Happy

I'm very fond of your's explanation pattern such as explaining difficult things very simply. I'm not very good in English. So, this is very useful!

Thank You again! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

suja

Please also try and grab the book trend followers. Its a very good one to assist us with the above post. As per the text written by a person after researching successful traders during the 2008 crash has identified trends in any market situation. This is beyond technical and also beyond gambling when HNWI push some stocks and retailers enter and make losses. What are the trends in our market. I feel that consumer goods and also clothing has a trend in December and January ,, can we highlight a few taking ayearly trend in to consideration. Daily , monthly will be good but too tough to predict?

pathum

pathum
Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

Excellent Read! Hats off Sir!!!!

tanzanite

tanzanite
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Hunter, cant put down in words how much your time and effort is appreciated. we dont belong to the HNW catogery, so your sacrificial effort will surely bring you rewards for this good deed done. At the end of the day, even though we dont personally know each other, you must know that there are people in society who know there is an unselfish friend living in a corner of the world by the name of 'hunter'!!! A million thanks dear friend.... Laughing

pitbull

pitbull
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

@ HUNTER ur explaining methodology is truly awesome !! n keep up ur good work im following you !i learnt lot of things from you !!
btw thanx alot for ur valuable lessons Smile

arrowms

Manager - Equity Analytics

I also noted the banking sector starts Oct to Dec every year and most of my investments are in this period. As a banker having no of years service i know it is because the unpublished third quarter results.
So so.... master go on

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

Nice one in deed.. What we want is more and more these kinda articles.. Wink
Thanks and keep it up.

yoyo

yoyo

Nice Structure and simple style of explaining things Bro..Keep it up. I learnt lot from your post. This is becoming a very interesting conversation. Eager to read your next step.

wiki

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Thanks a lot ..Keep your good work going...
It put more value to this forum

dilshan

dilshan
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

~ Great!!! Smile ~

pushpakumara

Dear Hunter

I use this forum to gain some knowledge on stock trading and quite a lot of seniors have cleared most of my queries. Contents of Your post is something new to me although I have heard about time cycles. Because you have now made it clear. Now the challenge is to identify such cylces against each stock or each sector and I am sure that some of us have such details as if some one try to do it on his own it will be a time consuming task. So dear keep up your good work and look forward to your next session.

hunter

hunter

Friends, thanks a lot for your appreciation of our efforts. To some extent, I am surprised to learn that we have lot of talents in this forum: professionals, industry experience veterans; young enthusiasts etc etc. It is a great feeling to have a chance to associate myself with you and try to help each other.

For a moment, I though there were some guys pretending as women, but @tanzanite, now I know you are genuinely 'female' because no 'man' on Earth can imitate that 'flattery' so effectively.
Ha ha haaa Laughing Laughing Laughing
Just kidding sister!

In fact you were one of the people who asked me to start this thread. Therefore, if ever, someone find this useful, a big portion of the credit should directly go to you.

I thought of starting a new thread to continue our discussion so that we have room in this thread to discuss anything related to cycles and patterns.

The URL of the new thread is;

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t10022-secret-of-harnessing-the-intrinsic-value-to-gain-profits#67431

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum