FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post

Poll

Can there be another Covid-19 wave in Sri Lanka?

Sri Lankan maid Rizana Nafeek beheaded in Saudi Arabia  Vote_lcap68%Sri Lankan maid Rizana Nafeek beheaded in Saudi Arabia  Vote_rcap 68% [ 178 ]
Sri Lankan maid Rizana Nafeek beheaded in Saudi Arabia  Vote_lcap18%Sri Lankan maid Rizana Nafeek beheaded in Saudi Arabia  Vote_rcap 18% [ 47 ]
Sri Lankan maid Rizana Nafeek beheaded in Saudi Arabia  Vote_lcap13%Sri Lankan maid Rizana Nafeek beheaded in Saudi Arabia  Vote_rcap 13% [ 35 ]

Total Votes : 260

STOCK MARKET TRAINING
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

Latest topics

» LMF target price+++++
by buddikasmart Today at 1:04 am

» CLC - Bull & Bear LOCKED HORNS - can blast at any time.
by Sunimal Today at 12:18 am

» BUY and HOLD CLC Possible to trade above 300/- [CLC= NIFL]
by Peris.G Yesterday at 11:58 pm

» LOFC Direction
by RAVI1980 Yesterday at 11:38 pm

» CLC - worth the Investment
by jaya Yesterday at 11:08 pm

» SCAP just about to run
by Chithi Yesterday at 10:40 pm

» is KCAB going for a split?
by dimi Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» LMF vs LAMP
by C.THARANGA Yesterday at 8:16 pm

» NP Rumored to enter SCAP
by Swissinvest Yesterday at 7:18 pm

» COCR can be attractive
by chandike73 Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» SOFTLOGIC CAPITAL PLC (SCAP.N0000)
by nish84 Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» LLUB comparison between 2016- 2021 Same EPS Trading at Huge discount
by samansilva Yesterday at 3:46 pm

» Shares to Buy
by PhilT Yesterday at 3:29 pm

» CLC placed on a Slingshot . . . !!!
by Elite_SGX Yesterday at 1:18 pm

» CLC – the Pinnacle of LOCH
by Elite_SGX Yesterday at 1:18 pm

» CLC getting ready for Singapore
by Elite_SGX Yesterday at 1:17 pm

» NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT BANK PLC (NDB.N0000)
by ADAD Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AGAL - Long way to go !
by Nimal hemantha perera Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» East West ltd
by chandike73 Yesterday at 1:10 pm

» BAIRAHA FARMS PLC (BFL.N0000)
by hotstock Yesterday at 1:02 pm

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

MARKET CHAT

CHRONICLE™ ANALYTICS

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

LATEST TWEETS

You are not connected. Please login or register

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » DAILY CHRONICLE™ » Sri Lankan maid Rizana Nafeek beheaded in Saudi Arabia

Sri Lankan maid Rizana Nafeek beheaded in Saudi Arabia

+23
Marketinvest
pathfinder
smallville
bullrun
D.G.Dayaratne
wiki
Sana
UKboy
Kithsiri
Antonym
Monster
Redbulls
Malika1990
Chinwi
VISA
Hanoifortune
gamaya
zenobia
raviqp
Whitebull
Jiggysaurus
traderathome
Jeremy
27 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Jeremy

Jeremy
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Saudi Arabia has beheaded a Sri Lankan domestic worker for killing a baby in her care in 2005 in a case that has been widely condemned by rights groups.

The maid, Rizana Nafeek, had denied killing the four-month-old boy.

Her supporters say she was only 17 at the time of the killing. They say her execution is a breach of international child rights.

The Sri Lankan government condemned the execution, which it said took place despite numerous clemency pleas.

The Saudi interior ministry said on Wednesday that Ms Nafeek was executed for smothering the infant after an argument with the child's mother in the town of al-Dwadmi.

Translation problems
The Sri Lankan parliament held a minute's silence on Wednesday in honour of Ms Nafeek.

News of the execution came on the same day that the International Labour Organization (ILO) said that laws were needed "urgently" to give greater protection to domestic workers.

The ILO report estimates that only about 10% of all domestic workers - about 5.3 million people - are covered by labour laws to the same degree as other workers.

In Sri Lanka itself, the execution has rekindled debate about the safety of expatriate workers in the Middle East and about the poverty which drives people including Ms Nafeek to seek work abroad.

In a statement, the Sri Lankan foreign ministry said that President Rajapakse and the government deplored the execution "despite all efforts at the highest level of the government and the outcry of the people locally and internationally".

A Sri Lankan MP who campaigns for Sri Lankan workers abroad, Ranjan Ramanayake, described the Saudi government as "dictators" who would never execute Europeans or Americans, only Asians and Africans.

The parents of Ms Nafeek had repeatedly appealed to King Abdullah to pardon her. Her father is currently in hospital, officials, say, and her mother is too distressed to talk about the execution.

Correspondents say that it appears that employment agents falsified Rizana Nafeek's age so that she could work in Saudi Arabia. Ms Nafeek was convicted in 2007 of murdering four-month-old baby Naif al-Quthaibi, whom she was caring for in 2005.

She said that an initial confession was made under duress and without linguistic assistance. Supporters say that she also had no access to lawyers before her conviction.

Human rights groups including Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch (HRW) have criticised the Saudi authorities for their handling of the case, as have campaigners in Sri Lanka, who argue that there were also serious translation problems at the time she confessed to the crime.

They argue that her reported execution breaches the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child which Saudi Arabia has ratified.

"Saudi Arabia is one of just three countries that executes people for crimes they committed as children," said senior HRW women's rights researcher Nisha Varia,

"Rizana Nafeek is yet another victim of the deep flaws in Saudi Arabia's judicial system."

The BBC's Charles Haviland in Sri Lanka visited Ms Nafeek's home village in 2010, where he saw a school register and a birth certificate confirming her date of birth.

Our correspondent says that if the documents are genuine, she was a minor when the alleged offence was committed. It also appears that employment agents falsified her age in order for her to get work in Saudi Arabia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20959228

traderathome

traderathome
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

very sad day.....

Jiggysaurus

Jiggysaurus

When organized religions/cults/sects/clubs are allowed to get out of hand it leads to the oppression/subjugation/abuse/death of those without power.

In this particular case, a barbaric "diyabariya law" designed by a bronze age cult is used to control women and children.

Another innocent life sacrificed on the alter of the mullahs/monks/priests/rabbis/holymen.....

Whitebull

Saudi Arabia is western gang friendly country.So nothing will happen...but if this happens in Iran what would be the scenario ?

raviqp

Stock Trader

All Muslims in Sri Lanka must do a protest march after Friday prayers and declare Jihad on Saudi Arabia. Like they do on other matters.
If this occurred in a Non Muslim country What would you Muslims do?

zenobia

Manager - Equity Analytics

the sadest thing is our people still have to go and work for these monsters who has enough money for everything.

gamaya

Only another bout of Colombo Night Races will cheer me up from this tradegy..

Last edited by gamaya on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total

traderathome

traderathome

we should hold special prayers for her in all our mosques islandwide.....on friday...

And what arrangements have they (muslim affairs) made to bring the body back to our country ?

If her parents wishes is to be buried in saudi arabia ...then let it be......

But if the father wishes to bury in her birthplace so it should be ....

we are watching justice minister..and all the muslim ministers in the opposition and government .....your next step..or will let it go.....

Those who gather around the mosques to show displeasure on america .......

will those people line up on friday and walk towards the saudi embassy.....not for the photographs and publicity....but with respect and dignity to this innocent girl.

i have worked for more than 6 years ...and i know very well majority of them are hard minded. In that there handful of good people as well who are very kind.

The other worrying issue to me as muslim ...we are only protesting to take what we or our community lost and dont participate on major issues that affect /concerns of the majority..... this is very wrong....and narrow minded thinking....

for example when we came to know about creul treatment on our maids....not a single muslim minister spoke out as far as i can remember against it and arrange any protest in front of the embassy to demand justice.

This is what is lacking for our community to integrate with the main political system.

I hate any parties with communal lines be it the congress/urumaya/alliance all are taking the public for a ride.

TAH

traderathome

traderathome

It was a very touching moment for me when i heard our all parliament members observed 1 minute silent....yesterday...

Thank you........SRILANKA.

zenobia

In all fairness it must be said that there are other parties who are at least indirectly responsible for this tragedy. This underage girl was sent to Saudi Arabia to look after an infant without any formal training or language proficiency knowing very well that Saudi Arabia has very severe laws and punishments.
Aren’t our foreign employment agencies not responsible for properly training workers before sending them?

traderathome

traderathome

The biggest joke from the saudi authority is this little girl @ 17 got into an argument with the infants parents......

A girl of 17 years arguing in saudi arabia ......

some of the new workers who come to our office ....look really frighten...when they go out and come to the personnel department.....you hardly here their voice ....i am talking about males age 20+

Can you believe 17 year old girl having guts to talk back....impossible that is too being just 2 weeks in to her employment.....

i will not accept their version of the story.....

All i am saying an innocent girl died .....and we could not do anything to protect her or have her released.

TAH

gamaya

@traderathome wrote:It was a very touching moment for me when i heard our all parliament members observed 1 minute silent....yesterday...

Thank you........SRILANKA.

Touching Indeed. Maybe they would reject their next tax free vehicle to save foreign revenue..?

Hanoifortune

Hanoifortune
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

This is nothing to do with Islam.It is all about country law created by Saud familiy and being protected by 27000 strong clans.

anyway, we have resepct to thier law.

Jiggysaurus

Jiggysaurus

@traderathome wrote:

All i am saying an innocent girl died .....

Yes an innocent girl died because "your" (this is what you have said) religious systems are designed to oppress and control women and girls. In other countries that practise your system girls are shot in the head because they try to promote education (no Friday protests for that was there?)

Why don't open minded people such as yourself try to change/reform the system. You can be the Martin Luther of your cult.

traderathome

traderathome

@Jiggysaurus wrote:
@traderathome wrote:

All i am saying an innocent girl died .....

Yes an innocent girl died because "your" (this is what you have said) religious systems are designed to oppress and control women and girls. In other countries that practise your system girls are shot in the head because they try to promote education (no Friday protests for that was there?)

Why don't open minded people such as yourself try to change/reform the system. You can be the Martin Luther of your cult.
Nothing wrong in the system ...all i am trying to say is have a fair hearing given similar to other well developed countries a mechanism to argue and counter argue....

i am 100% with death penalty......but a proper transparent legal system should be there when convicting ...thats all.

if a drug peddler or a murderer get caught give them a fair hearing and execute if they are found guilty beyond doubt...thats all.

TAH

Jiggysaurus

Jiggysaurus

@traderathome wrote:

if a drug peddler or a murderer get caught give them a fair hearing and execute if they are found guilty beyond doubt...thats all.

TAH

Should be the same for pedophiles and abusers of children right? Give them a fair hearing and execute if they are found guilty beyond doubt....

traderathome

traderathome

The religious moderates are silent .......this is a dangerous trend.

just because some lunatics in the name of religion goes on killing innocent girls and women because they are pursuing studies ..you can not credit the whole incident on the religion....

Is it happening in srilanka.......

look at america .....so many lone gunmen enters school and shoot at small kids and teachers ....is this done in the name of Christianity or any other religion..... No the media says he a mentally retard and they try to blame it on gun culture, if it was in afghan valley or pakistan the media will brush it totally a different version to it with religious line.

when the bodu bala & muslim congress spreading hatred in the south and east what is the law abiding citizen do.....in both sides...

just watching ........

when innocent children get molested/older women gets raped .......and the rate of crime against women go on increasing in srilanka...who is to be blamed ...and most of the crimes are done by the majority .....is the lord budhas teaching at fault ........no we never paint such crimes in line with respective religion.

when a muslim commits a crime then the bandwagon goes on......with terrorism....

who introduced terrorism to the world......

The so called Europeans & Americas.......they did by grabbing lands and made colonies and we had to work as slaves to the masters.

The freedom we are enjoying today its because our fore fathers shed their lives.....

and more recently the soldires....

So let us be independent in our thinking and have open mind on some of these issues without inclining to religious sentiments.

TAH

traderathome

traderathome

so lets not deviate from the subject this thread for Rizana.......May Allah grant her eternal peace and grant the highest level of paradise.

I want the saudi family have they forgotton this phrase in quran...

When Allah takes something as beloved from us as a child, it may be that He has taken it in order to give us something greater. It may be because of that loss, that we are admitted into paradise—an eternal life with our child. And unlike our life here, it is an everlasting life where our child will have no pain, fear, or sickness.
But in this life, even our own sicknesses may not be what they seem. Through them Allah may be in fact purifying us of our sins.

from:‘Build a home for my servant in Paradise and call it Baytul Hamd (the House of Praise).’ [Tirmidhi]

TAH

traderathome

traderathome

Allah tells us in the Quran:
“…But perhaps you hate a thing and it is good for you; and perhaps you love a thing and it is bad for you. And Allah Knows, while you know not.” (2:216)
Yet it is so difficult to look beyond the surface of things. It takes great strength to see beyond the illusions, to a deeper truth—which we may or may not understand. Just as my son could not understand how my depriving him of what he most wanted at that moment was in fact my looking out for him, we are often just as blind.
As a result, we end up staring indefinitely at the closed doors of our lives, and forget to notice the ones that have opened. When we can’t marry the person we had in mind, our inability to look beyond may even blind sight us from someone who is in fact better for us. When we don’t get hired, or we lose something dear to us, it’s hard to take a step back and notice the bigger picture. Often Allah takes things away from us, only to replace them with something greater.
Even tragedy may happen in this way. One can imagine few calamities more painful than the loss of a child. And yet, even this loss could happen to save us and give us something greater. The Prophet said:
If the child of a servant (of Allah) dies, Allah says to His Angels: ‘Have you taken the child of My servant?’
The Angels reply: ‘Yes.’
Allah says to them: ‘Have you taken the fruit of his heart?’
They reply: ‘Yes.’
Then Allah says to them: ‘What did my servant say?’
The Angels reply: ‘He praised Allah and said: ‘To Allah do we return.’

Allah tells them:
‘Build a home for my servant in Paradise and call it Baytul Hamd (the House of Praise).’ [Tirmidhi]

We muslims ....how far practicing the teachings...? speacially the current ones in Saudia .....

traderathome

traderathome

I have made my point clear here in this thread so i dont expect to return here for any replies because of the sentiments....so lets move on and bring strong rules to avoid such mishaps in the future....

TAH

Jiggysaurus

Jiggysaurus

@traderathome wrote:so lets not deviate from the subject this thread for Rizana.......May Allah grant her eternal peace and grant the highest level of paradise.

TAH

According to the founder of your cult, the poor girl has more chance of going to hell.
http://www.answering-islam.org/Women/in-hell.html

Your system/cult was designed for a bunch of bronze age arab tribesman so it ends up condoning slavery, child abuse and genocide. Would the real magic man in the sky design a system based on slavery, child brides and oppression of women?

Poor Rizana was killed by the teachings of your religion.

Anyway i dont want to insult your belief system (everyone is intitled to their delusions) and i'll end my posts on this thread, but try and read the history/creation of your religion (it might open your eyes).

VISA

Are Mother's are supose to feed 4 month old baby. That why we are giving mentinty leave. At leaset mother need to feed the baby for one year. This is sad sad day for srilanka.

Hanoifortune

Hanoifortune

@Jiggysaurus wrote:
@traderathome wrote:so lets not deviate from the subject this thread for Rizana.......May Allah grant her eternal peace and grant the highest level of paradise.

TAH

According to the founder of your cult, the poor girl has more chance of going to hell.
http://www.answering-islam.org/Women/in-hell.html

Your system/cult was designed for a bunch of bronze age arab tribesman so it ends up condoning slavery, child abuse and genocide. Would the real magic man in the sky design a system based on slavery, child brides and oppression of women?

Poor Rizana was killed by the teachings of your religion.

Anyway i dont want to insult your belief system (everyone is intitled to their delusions) and i'll end my posts on this thread, but try and read the history/creation of your religion (it might open your eyes).

Hey, you two do not fight.pls read the link http://www.why-christians-convert-to-islam.com/nice201.htm

Whitebull

We should not argue on religious matters. I think main idea of most of the religions is make better humans. So the main goal is usually pure but there are cntroversies among the methods described to achieve that goal.....it might be due to already existed culture(before that religion was founded) or/and due to geographical,environmental causes.
On the other hand greedy powerful people manipulate the religion for their benefits.
So imo most of the relogions are good at the basic levels.So we should not argue about religions but should critisize actions done manipulating or undercover of religion.

Whitebull

US raise serious concerns over impeachment, remains mum over Rizana beheading
The US on Thursday expressed serious concern over the impeachment proceedings against Sri Lanka’s first woman Chief Justice. However the US State Department spokesman did not comment on the beheading of Lankan maid Rizana Nafeek in Saudi Arabia adding that, “I will check with our folks and see if we have any views to share.”

On a question regarding the impeachment State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters, “s we said before, we had serious concerns about the actions that were taken to impeach the Chief Justice and the timing of the impeachment and that it raised serious questions about the process and government pressure on the judiciary,”

Excerpt from State Department Press Briefing;

QUESTION: (Inaudible) Sri Lanka.

MS. NULAND: Yeah.

QUESTION: A Sri Lankan maid was beheaded in Saudi Arabia this week for killing a baby in 2005. There are lots of human rights bodies which are opposing this. How do you see this beheading of a Sri Lankan maid in Saudi Arabia?

MS. NULAND: I don’t have anything on that one way or the other, Lalit. I will check with our folks and see if we have any views to share.

QUESTION: And on the continued impeachment of the Sri Lankan chief justice, now there’s a confrontation between the Sri Lankan parliament and the court, supreme court. One of the courts have said it’s – the decision taken by Sri Lankan parliament is not valid. How do you see this ongoing confrontation between the various wings of the government?

MS. NULAND: Well, I understand the parliament is just back from recess and we are, as we said before, we had serious concerns about the actions that were taken to impeach the chief justice and the timing of the impeachment, and that it raised serious questions about the process and government pressure on the judiciary. With regard to what’s been happening today with the parliament back in session, let me see if we have any further comment for you, Lalit
http://www.adaderana.lk/news.php?nid=21209

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum