FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Latest Financial Status and Future Outlook of SMB Finance PLC
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 11:15 pm

» Latest Financial Status and Future Outlook of Overseas Realty PLC
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 11:00 pm

» Latest Financial Status and Future Outlook of Merchant Bank of Sri Lanka & Finance PLC
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» McDonald’s අපේ නෙමෙයි අපේ බෝස්ගේ – අබාන්ස් කියයි
by ChooBoy Yesterday at 10:19 am

» AI Assistance for Stock Market Research and Analysis
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 7:12 am

» Comparative Analysis of the Insurance Sector
by God Father Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:46 pm

» Sri Lanka: Why Pay Exorbitant Taxes?
by ChatGPT Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:52 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by K.R Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:15 pm

» CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC (CIND.N0000)
by D.G.Dayaratne Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:11 am

» SIYAPATHA FINANACE PLC (SLFL.N0000)
by ChatGPT Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:58 am

» FINANCE AND LEASING SECTOR
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:45 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:36 am

» CIC HOLDINGS PLC (CIC.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:18 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:15 am

» First Capital Holdings PLC: Current Financial performance and future outlook
by God Father Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:58 pm

» LankaBizz: Sri Lanka's First ever Artificially Intelligent (AI) Business and Research Assistant
by God Father Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:27 am

» HOTEL AND TRAVEL SECTOR
by ErangaDS Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:22 am

» CIC Holdings Good Times Ahead
by ashan silva Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 am

» EPF Fund keep eye on low P/E Shares
by K.R Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:45 am

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Hawk Eye Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:37 am

» Ceylon cold stores
by Hawk Eye Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:25 am

» Asha securities Provide buy signal for CIC
by ddrperera Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:10 am

» CSE ready for another Downtrend?
by D.G.Dayaratne Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:24 am

» LankaLAW Forum : Sri Lanka’s #1 Discussion Platform for Legal Questions and Answers
by blindhog Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:14 am

» Sri Lanka poised to benefit from demand surge for ‘non-China origin’ graphite
by samaritan Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:31 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

How and when to sell the stocks.

+4
D.G.Dayaratne
Pethi
VALUEPICK
Mahawawtta
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How and when to sell the stocks. Empty How and when to sell the stocks. Fri May 02, 2014 9:11 am

Mahawawtta

Manager - Equity Analytics

Dear Frineds, we know we can not early big money from stock market if you only consider Dividend. but we need to buy and sell shares as well. but i have my weakness to decided when to sell the shares when it earns profit. can you all suggest me to decide when to sell the shares and mechanism to decide the selling prices please

2How and when to sell the stocks. Empty Re: How and when to sell the stocks. Fri May 02, 2014 9:25 am

VALUEPICK

VALUEPICK
Expert
Expert

It is one of the difficult questions to answer. It also depends on the individual trader or investor. Anybody can make mistake and market cannot predict. Long term Value investors will sell stocks when they see long term fundamental becomes weak. Chart traders buy and sell stocks according to the chart. There are box players plus fundamental players.  They follow their method. Some never sell their stocks and they consider them as their own business. Finally some have their own method to buy and sell stocks.

3How and when to sell the stocks. Empty Re: How and when to sell the stocks. Fri May 02, 2014 10:34 am

Pethi

Pethi
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

ValuePick has given a good explanation. Could not have better one than that.

But if you really scared and panic when shares gone up considering that it'd come down and lose a lot (depending on your financial position). then, my advise is to think about Buddhism and satisfy what you have got and exit the market.

Even though the price is still have moved up, you can make up your mind saying that you got a good profit. too much greediness is not a good thing in many ways. it causes to suffering. Let it go...!
no one can predict the MKT even an experience investor. I don't think it is your weakness.

"the best example is I bought SAMP @ 165-170 levels and sold out @ 187 levels. But MKT moved up even after that. But I am satisfied as I got dividend + profit. I don't mind it is going up to 225 now. I have invested that money in to some other shares and they have given me good profits."

4How and when to sell the stocks. Empty Re: How and when to sell the stocks. Fri May 02, 2014 10:52 am

VALUEPICK

VALUEPICK
Expert
Expert

Any industry can have favourable business climate at any time. When there is a bad business climate stock traders will sell their stocks and those stocks become damp cheap. These stocks give bigger return in a favourable business climate and in a turnaround. It is also time to identify out of favour companies with coming favourable business climate.

5How and when to sell the stocks. Empty Re: How and when to sell the stocks. Fri May 02, 2014 11:34 am

D.G.Dayaratne

Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

My present strategy is always sell at expected profit level

Buy shares with good fundamentals and pay dividends

No purchases beyond approved credit level

6How and when to sell the stocks. Empty Re: How and when to sell the stocks. Fri May 02, 2014 4:42 pm

stevenapple

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Pethi wrote:ValuePick has given a good explanation. Could not have better one than that.

But if you really scared and panic when shares gone up considering that it'd come down and lose a lot (depending on your financial position). then, my advise is to think about Buddhism and satisfy what you have got and exit the market.

Even though the price is still have moved up, you can make up your mind saying that you got a good profit. too much greediness is not a good thing in many ways. it causes to suffering. Let it go...!
no one can predict the MKT even an experience investor. I don't think it is your weakness.

"the best example is I bought SAMP @ 165-170 levels and sold out @ 187 levels. But MKT moved up even after that. But I am satisfied as I got dividend + profit. I don't mind it is going up to 225 now. I have invested that money in to some other shares and they have given me good profits."

Mine is also some what simillar to Pethi.Only different is i don't dispose all the shares at once.Referring to Above scenario I may sell half at 187 and will watch for the price movement before i'm taking decission against the remaining.

7How and when to sell the stocks. Empty Re: How and when to sell the stocks. Sat May 03, 2014 11:11 am

gagamini

I follow the box theory of Noclas Darvas where the share prices are made into boxes . Say a price of a share moves form 50-60 range to 60-65 range then that share is upgraded to that box . Monitor if it break and moves to 65-70 box and it means it is on uptrend and do not sell , hold on to it . If it moves further up with volume I will buy more . As long as it stays in that box no worries and no selling . Only selling begins when box is broken downwards with volume and that gives an indication for selling . Do not sell a share which has indicated its upward journey . It is a winner . A share which runs downward is looser which should be get rid of it quickly . Give attention to the volume factor and very less volume with price changes is not an indication for buy or sell .

I am not recommending it and its practical application depend on individual thinking pattern .

8How and when to sell the stocks. Empty Re: How and when to sell the stocks. Sat May 03, 2014 12:44 pm

FLOWER2

FLOWER2

gagamini wrote:I follow  the box theory of Noclas Darvas where  the share prices are made into boxes . Say a price of a share moves form 50-60 range to 60-65 range then that share is upgraded to that box . Monitor if it break  and moves  to 65-70 box and it means it is on uptrend and do not sell , hold on to it . If it moves further up with volume I will buy more . As long as it stays in that box no worries and no selling . Only selling  begins when box is broken downwards with volume and that gives an indication for selling . Do not sell a share which has indicated its upward journey . It is a winner . A share which runs downward is looser which should be get rid of it quickly . Give attention to the volume factor and very less volume with price changes is not an indication for buy or sell .

I am not recommending it and its practical application depend on individual thinking pattern .

Box theory is a good one. Box players follow fundamentals in addition to boxes. As long as they are intact they keep their stocks even beyond one year. Otherwise they sell their stocks.

However on volume: Stocks such as NEST and CINS didn’t have much volume in their major uptrend except in few occasions. Did well even during poor market conditions. Some major shareholders including long term foreign investors never sell their stocks and they are for the long term business. In those types of companies public holdings are low. Not much quantity available to trade. They trade in small quantity. In a bull market there might be good demand for those types of stocks as well.

9How and when to sell the stocks. Empty Re: How and when to sell the stocks. Sat May 03, 2014 2:08 pm

SHARK aka TAH

SHARK aka TAH
Expert
Expert

Its equally important to give serious thought to close a trade.as much time spent on entering at the right price, the right price to close is painstakingly difficult.

I think we have still not come to that chapter in ASI, as it just starting it advances Smile

10How and when to sell the stocks. Empty Re: How and when to sell the stocks. Sat May 03, 2014 3:18 pm

gagamini

One thing I noted in our market in the recent past is , it is now rerated . What I mean is people who have burnt their fingers going behind junk shares during last bull run have realized the blunders they have done . The movement of TJL , EXPO , SHL etc. indicate this and I feel this is a good sign for development and sustainability of our capital market . Breaking next barrier of 6300+ and if it sustain that would give big boost to building the confidence of our retail sector for further enhancement of the ASI .

There are many counters which have not appreciated to their value and appreciation of those shares would happen with the entering of more retail investors .

11How and when to sell the stocks. Empty Re: How and when to sell the stocks. Sat May 03, 2014 3:50 pm

VALUEPICK

VALUEPICK
Expert
Expert

Some shares are trading 50% discount to their net asset per share having long term growth. There are signs Unfavourable industries could become favourable industries.  So there are opportunities. Shares of these Unfavourable industries are damp cheap. We are seeing some interest in these counters too. Further some value stocks having mid and long term growth stagnated for a long time. They too should get boost. Yesterday was a day for gold, silver, oil, grain due to easy money. Tomorrow is a day for emerging commodities.

12How and when to sell the stocks. Empty Re: How and when to sell the stocks. Sun May 04, 2014 7:31 am

D.G.Dayaratne

What are the shares trading below 50 % of NAV

And What are the favorable industries ?

13How and when to sell the stocks. Empty Re: How and when to sell the stocks. Sun May 04, 2014 8:13 am

VALUEPICK

VALUEPICK
Expert
Expert

In the plantation sector:

MPRH, MADU, BALA, MASK

In addition few more plantations companies are trading below their net asset per share such as UDPL, BOPL, HAPU, WATA and TPL

All time high for MPRH, BOPL,MADU, BALA, MASK, UDPL, HAPU and TPL are Rs.96, Rs.77,Rs.37, Rs.77.50, Rs.74.75, Rs.66, Rs.77, Rs.89.90 and Rs.55 respectively.

There are more in other sectors as well.

Favourable industries based on my study. According your study you will have more favourable sectors. Can you post some of your favourable sectors?

Food and beverages including poultry
Hotels and travels
Tea and tea related companies
Banking and Finance
Manufacturing
Healthcare

It is time to identify great winners in the above sectors. All the best!

14How and when to sell the stocks. Empty Re: How and when to sell the stocks. Sun May 04, 2014 8:56 pm

D.G.Dayaratne

Thanks

I also think above sectors are favorable

15How and when to sell the stocks. Empty Re: How and when to sell the stocks. Mon May 05, 2014 11:15 am

VALUEPICK

VALUEPICK
Expert
Expert

D.G.Dayaratne wrote:Thanks

Other thing that we have to understand is that investment success cannot measure within one day within one month or one year. At least we should give five to six year time periods. If we follow above sectors you will identify mid and long term value of those businesses. Companies start as small and then they becomes big. There are cycles for some industries, commodities and assets. We had strong long term rally for commodities such as gold, silver, coffee and grain etc. Now they have stagnated and except coffee. Hereafter there could be long term rally for emerging commodities. Tea could be one of that. It is fast becoming very popular as a health drink in North America and Europe. Even tea demand is increasing countries such as India, China, Bangladesh, Pakistan and North Africa. We have to analyse number of mouths in those countries the coming years. They are going to eat more food and going to drink more hot beverages. Even top Multil National companies are expanding their hot beverages businesses in many countries. Now listed tea related companies are doing better than rubber oriented companies. They have more value than latter.

16How and when to sell the stocks. Empty Re: How and when to sell the stocks. Mon May 05, 2014 4:44 pm

gagamini

VALUEPICK wrote:
D.G.Dayaratne wrote:Thanks

Other thing that we have to understand is that investment success cannot measure within one day within one month or one year. At least we should give five to six year time periods.  If we follow above sectors you will identify mid and long term value of those businesses. Companies start as small and then they becomes big. There are cycles for some industries, commodities and assets. We had strong long term rally for commodities such as gold, silver, coffee and grain etc. Now they have stagnated and except coffee. Hereafter there could be long term rally for emerging commodities. Tea could be one of that. It is fast becoming very popular as a health drink in North America and Europe. Even tea demand is increasing countries such as India, China, Bangladesh, Pakistan and North Africa. We have to analyse number of mouths in those countries the coming years. They are going to eat more food and going to drink more hot beverages. Even top Multil National companies are expanding their hot beverages businesses in many countries. Now listed tea related companies are doing better than rubber oriented companies. They have more value than latter.

As you have stated the companies related to TEA , I would like to add little more . Our main competitor for tea is Kenya. As I know they are the number one and we are two as far as quantities are concerned . Another advantage Kenya is having over us is their labor force is more efficient than of us and daily plucking of each labor is almost double of ours . Further their yield per hectare is much higher than that of ours as Kenya's tea lands are not as old as of ours and continuous expansion of Kenyan tea industry is taking place whereas ours new plantation is minimal . All these factors affect to the cost of production (COP) and Kenyan tea production cost is very much low compared to us and that would have a negative effect for our tea industry and we may not be able to reap full benefit of demand growth in future . Quality wise Ceylon tea is much better than that of Kanyan tea . However , they have already encroached North Africa , Pakistan , some Middle Eastern countries and even North America. Earlier those markets were ours and due competitive prices we have lost those markets .

Further , unnecessary political interference into our tea industry through labour union also badly affect the profitability of listed tea companies . Politicians would not care about existence of those companies and their only concern is to increase their vote base and for that they would do anything .

When you consider these factors, I am in doubt about a bright future of our tea industry .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum