Sri Lanka Equity Forum
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka Equity Forum would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
Sri Lanka Equity Forum

Discussion Forum for Stock Market Investors in Sri Lanka

සිංහල පරිවර්තනය
Contribute
Submit Post

Latest topics

» how mutch a good small trader get on average? 50% 100%
by KavinduTM Today at 9:33 am

» John Keells Holdings drags down Sri Lanka stocks
by fireshelter Today at 6:01 am

» Sri Lanka interest rates should go down, currency will not fall: Mark Mobius
by fireshelter Today at 5:56 am

» Sorry !!!!Tax cut stable gvt and trading do not go together
by Promoney Yesterday at 10:10 pm

» Make it your goal to stay positive in a negative market.
by Promoney Yesterday at 5:45 pm

» have to stop brokarage companys pump and dump (have to bring strict laws that any broker who trade go 10 years jail)
by ThilinaM Yesterday at 4:11 pm

» Pump and dump
by ThilinaM Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» ALL SHARE INDEX
by ThilinaM Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» ALLI. N game එක පටන් ගත්තා
by KavinduTM Yesterday at 2:00 pm

» Time to sell
by KavinduTM Yesterday at 1:48 pm

» Some FB friends asking what is the best broker and what is the best amount to invest
by ThilinaM Yesterday at 12:57 pm

» The past several days have been marked by trades starting to work only to reverse.
by KavinduTM Yesterday at 11:22 am

» COLO and DOCK Moving to 100
by KavinduTM Yesterday at 10:36 am

» TESS TRADING SUSPENTION...................
by Eugine Fernando Yesterday at 9:52 am

» Anyone please tell exact and deatail reason for bartleet ban???
by ThilinaM Yesterday at 9:27 am

» EAST WEST PROPERTIES PLC (EAST.N0000)
by Ahcha Yesterday at 8:54 am

» UK ELECTION
by Yahapalanaya Yesterday at 8:16 am

» GENERAL ELECTION - 2020
by Yahapalanaya Yesterday at 8:12 am

» VAT REDUCE WATER BILL UP
by CITIZEN Yesterday at 2:39 am

» UK ELECTION
by CITIZEN Yesterday at 2:39 am

» තැරැව්කාර සමාගමකට එරෙහිව කොටස් වෙළෙඳපොළ විනය ක්‍රියාමාර්ග ගනී
by Teller Yesterday at 1:31 am

POPULAR COMPANIES
A

ABANS ELECTRICALS PLC

ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC Hot

ACL CABLES PLC

ACL PLASTICS PLC

ACME PRINTING & PACKAGING PLC

AGSTAR PLC

AITKEN SPENCE HOTEL HOLDINGS PLC

AITKEN SPENCE PLC

ANILANA HOTELS AND PROPERTIES PLC

ARPICO INSURANCE PLC

ASIA ASSET FINANCE PLC

ASIA CAPITAL PLC

B

BAIRAHA FARMS PLC

BALANGODA PLANTATIONS PLC

BIMPUTH FINANCE PLC

BLUE DIAMONDS JEWELLERY WORLDWIDE PLC

B P P L HOLDINGS PLC

BROWNS BEACH HOTELS PLC

BROWNS INVESTMENTS PLC

C

CARGO BOAT DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC

CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC

CEYLON COLD STORES PLC

CEYLON GRAIN ELEVATORS PLC Hot

CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC

CEYLON TOBACCO COMPANY PLC

CHEVRON LUBRICANTS LANKA PLC

COLOMBO FORT LAND & BUILDING PLC

COMMERCIAL BANK OF CEYLON PLC

CITRUS LEISURE PLC Hot

COMMERCIAL CREDIT AND FINANCE PLC

D

DANKOTUWA PORCELAIN PLC

DFCC BANK PLC

DIALOG AXIATA PLC

DIALOG FINANCE PLC

DIPPED PRODUCTS PLC

DISTILLERIES COMPANY OF SRI LANKA PLC

DUNAMIS CAPITAL PLC

E

EAST WEST PROPERTIES PLC Hot

EASTERN MERCHANTS PLC

EXPOLANKA HOLDINGS PLC

E-CHANNELLING PLC

F

FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC

G

GALADARI HOTELS (LANKA) PLC

GUARDIAN CAPITAL PARTNERS PLC

H

HATTON NATIONAL BANK PLC

HAYLEYS PLC

HAYLEYS FABRIC PLC

HAYLEYS FIBRE PLC Hot

HEMAS HOLDINGS PLC

HIKKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC

HNB ASSURANCE PLC

HVA FOODS PLC

J

JANASHAKTHI INSURANCE COMPANY PLC

JOHN KEELLS HOLDINGS PLC Hot

JOHN KEELLS HOTELS PLC

L

LANKA ASHOK LEYLAND PLC

LANKA IOC PLC

LANKEM CEYLON PLC

LANKEM DEVELOPMENTS PLC

LAUGFS GAS PLC

LAUGFS POWER LIMITED

LOLC FINANCE PLC

LOLC HOLDINGS PLC

LUCKY LANKA MILK PROCESSING COMPANY PLC

M

MELSTACORP PLC

N

NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT BANK PLC

NATION LANKA FINANCE PLC

NESTLE LANKA PLC

O

ORIENT FINANCE PLC

OVERSEAS REALTY (CEYLON) PLC

P

PANASIAN POWER PLC

PEOPLE'S LEASING & FINANCE PLC

PIRAMAL GLASS CEYLON PLC

PRIME FINANCE PLC

R

RAIGAM WAYAMBA SALTERNS PLC

RENUKA AGRI FOODS PLC

RENUKA CAPITAL PLC

RENUKA HOLDINGS PLC

RICHARD PIERIS AND COMPANY PLC

RICHARD PIERIS EXPORTS PLC Hot

ROYAL CERAMICS PLC

S

SAMPATH BANK PLC

SEYLAN BANK PLC

SIERRA CABLES PLC

SINGHE HOSPITALS PLC Hot

SMB LEASING PLC

SOFTLOGIC HOLDINGS PLC

SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC

SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC

SWISSTEK (CEYLON) PLC Hot

T

TEEJAY LANKA PLC

TESS AGRO PLC

THREE ACRE FARMS PLC

TOKYO CEMENT COMPANY (LANKA) PLC Hot

U

UNION BANK OF COLOMBO PLC

V

VALLIBEL FINANCE PLC

VALLIBEL ONE PLC Hot

VALLIBEL POWER ERATHNA PLC

W

WASKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC

Advertise

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sri Lanka Equity Forum » Stock Market Talk » Expert Chamber » REEF and VFIN- Accountants who can't calculate

REEF and VFIN- Accountants who can't calculate

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

TuskerLK


Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
For me auditors are not ethical at all. Most of the young guys and girls who works days and nights to meets the deadline are getting paid a allowance (not salary) less than what a estate worker get paid.

So how come we can expect a reliable work from them?

mark


Expert
Expert
guys,same thing i experienced in CSF results,ddn't got correct values......don't know,i may be wrongly calculated,but there was many questions.. Suspect Suspect

Gaja


Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
@smallville wrote:
@Gaja wrote:interestingly, admin or moderators or any of the members of you have the contact with the company, why don't you informed to the company and ask them to correct it

I already sent them a note requesting an explanation..

Good let us know, if you got the reply

Hiru


Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
tinyman wrote:For me auditors are not ethical at all. Most of the young guys and girls who works days and nights to meets the deadline are getting paid a allowance (not salary) less than what a estate worker get paid.

So how come we can expect a reliable work from them?

That is true trainees are doing all the field work for Audits, but there are several stages which pay attention to accounts before they reach to Assigned Partner for his signature, specially in big for Audit Firms. So, have these managers at the audit firm failed to comply with procedures?
However, it seems these statements are not Audited.

Above all, I believe, there must be check for accuracy at CSE before publishing accounts on the CSE Website as all investors are not of the same quality.

GJ


Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
is it good or bad to buy?
--
===
====
=====

Hiru


Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
@GJ wrote:is it good or bad to buy?
--
===
====
=====

VFIN is good at below Rs 50.

REEF is good to watch and buy as there would be huge capital gains. For me REEF.W0017 is comparably good. My view is based on the current trend and the information currently available, but not on fundamentals.

Please search for information available and evaluate by your self as money is yours.

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
@Gaja wrote:
@smallville wrote:
@Gaja wrote:interestingly, admin or moderators or any of the members of you have the contact with the company, why don't you informed to the company and ask them to correct it

I already sent them a note requesting an explanation..

Good let us know, if you got the reply

I'm afraideven after 2 days I've recieved NO reply.. U know wat this means right??? Twisted Evil
Poor souls.. Can we send this to SEC as well? indicating the malpractice by company??

monash

monash
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Smallville i also waited for your post to know the response of company.

Yes of course we can inform this to SEC. i think there is possibility to sue the company also if you have money and time, Consult a lawyer.. Wink
Reef is a pure scam.. the latest victim of them is CLND.

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
@monash wrote:Smallville i also waited for your post to know the response of company.

Yes of course we can inform this to SEC. i think there is possibility to sue the company also if you have money and time, Consult a lawyer.. Wink
Reef is a pure scam.. the latest victim of them is CLND.

Well to be honest with, I dont have a single share even warrants.. but just for the community service I tried informing the company toget some response.. They didnt have the courtesy to accept it a mistake or whatever further assures this is a pure scam Wink Twisted Evil
Well I have other fish to fry.. so if some can post this to SEC, would be glad.. Wink

intelstk


Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
tinyman wrote:For me auditors are not ethical at all. Most of the young guys and girls who works days and nights to meets the deadline are getting paid a allowance (not salary) less than what a estate worker get paid.

So how come we can expect a reliable work from them?

this is nothing to do with auditors. These interim figures are un audited. They responsible for annual audited figures only. Even that case prepartion and presentation of FS in a responsible of Directors.

Eventhough they are paid less than state workers, they are doing great job for the entire market definitly. So, don scold auditors in this case plssssssssssss

duke


Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
@smallville wrote:
@monash wrote:Smallville i also waited for your post to know the response of company.

Yes of course we can inform this to SEC. i think there is possibility to sue the company also if you have money and time, Consult a lawyer.. Wink
Reef is a pure scam.. the latest victim of them is CLND.

Well to be honest with, I dont have a single share even warrants.. but just for the community service I tried informing the company toget some response.. They didnt have the courtesy to accept it a mistake or whatever further assures this is a pure scam Wink Twisted Evil
Well I have other fish to fry.. so if some can post this to SEC, would be glad.. Wink

complaining to SEC is futile, waste of time and postage stamps.

gann

gann
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Maybe they have added the capital gain from CLND implicitly Smile

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics
@gann wrote:Maybe they have added the capital gain from CLND implicitly Smile

If you are serious . no can do. This is for quarter ending March 31st isn't it.

In anycase it is inexcusable to make such drastic errors. If they have an alternative way of calculating EPS it is in decent interest to let the public know.

gann

gann
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
@slstock wrote:
@gann wrote:Maybe they have added the capital gain from CLND implicitly Smile

If you are serious . no can do. This is for quarter ending March 31st isn't it.

In anycase it is inexcusable to make such drastic errors. If they have an alternative way of calculating EPS it is in decent interest to let the public know.

I was kidding. geek

Chinwi

Chinwi
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
This can not be a mistake nor an ignorance.

As a manager you know the position of you company. You do not need a report to have a general idea of you company. That is in your day to day life.

When there is a 7 Rupee figure at the bottom for REEF any donkey who go through the report before releasing it should know that is impossible.





DPPEL


Stock Trader
what do you think vfin curent price ......

greedy

greedy
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
A similar mistake that I found in Browns IPO..... (I posted this in another forum)

I was looking at Browns IPO Prospectus & came across this funny EPS figure in the accounts for the 9 months ended 31.12.2010. As per the prospectus, the EPS number is LKR4.917. There were 98mn shares as of 31 March 2010 and this was sub divided in an 1:10 ratio in 16/11/2010. Post split number of shares became 980mn shares.

As per the income statement, net profit for the 9 month period ended 31.12.2010 is LKR1,445.556mn.

Therefore, based on the above numbers the EPS for the period is;

EPS = LKR1,445.556mn/980mn

= LKR1.475.


So how did they get an EPS of LKR4.917? Is this an error or done deliberately?

I Guess they have done a wrong Calculation. The below could have been their calculation which is wrong...

Net Profit for the period LKR1,445.556mn

Weighted Average Number of shares (98mn+882mn/9months*2months) = 294mn shares

EPS = LKR1,445.556/294mn shares
EPS = LKR 4.917

Anyone with accounting knowledge would know that when there is a share split, EPS needs to be calculated based on post split numbers not by weighted average number of shares.

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
@greedy wrote:A similar mistake that I found in Browns IPO..... (I posted this in another forum)

I was looking at Browns IPO Prospectus & came across this funny EPS figure in the accounts for the 9 months ended 31.12.2010. As per the prospectus, the EPS number is LKR4.917. There were 98mn shares as of 31 March 2010 and this was sub divided in an 1:10 ratio in 16/11/2010. Post split number of shares became 980mn shares.

As per the income statement, net profit for the 9 month period ended 31.12.2010 is LKR1,445.556mn.

Therefore, based on the above numbers the EPS for the period is;

EPS = LKR1,445.556mn/980mn

= LKR1.475.


So how did they get an EPS of LKR4.917? Is this an error or done deliberately?

I Guess they have done a wrong Calculation. The below could have been their calculation which is wrong...

Net Profit for the period LKR1,445.556mn

Weighted Average Number of shares (98mn+882mn/9months*2months) = 294mn shares

EPS = LKR1,445.556/294mn shares
EPS = LKR 4.917

Anyone with accounting knowledge would know that when there is a share split, EPS needs to be calculated based on post split numbers not by weighted average number of shares.

Welcome to the forum buddy.. Hope you're the same person..
And good finding..
However I think even with the correct EPS figure of 1.4, Browns inv. is fairly ok.. but its shame on EPS calculation Wink
First VFIN then REEF now BIL.. Seems like accountants are not that intelligent these days or authorities don't care.. Shame on us for not looking at this earlier too. Evil or Very Mad

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
@smallville wrote:
@greedy wrote:A similar mistake that I found in Browns IPO..... (I posted this in another forum)

I was looking at Browns IPO Prospectus & came across this funny EPS figure in the accounts for the 9 months ended 31.12.2010. As per the prospectus, the EPS number is LKR4.917. There were 98mn shares as of 31 March 2010 and this was sub divided in an 1:10 ratio in 16/11/2010. Post split number of shares became 980mn shares.

As per the income statement, net profit for the 9 month period ended 31.12.2010 is LKR1,445.556mn.

Therefore, based on the above numbers the EPS for the period is;

EPS = LKR1,445.556mn/980mn

= LKR1.475.


So how did they get an EPS of LKR4.917? Is this an error or done deliberately?

I Guess they have done a wrong Calculation. The below could have been their calculation which is wrong...

Net Profit for the period LKR1,445.556mn

Weighted Average Number of shares (98mn+882mn/9months*2months) = 294mn shares

EPS = LKR1,445.556/294mn shares
EPS = LKR 4.917

Anyone with accounting knowledge would know that when there is a share split, EPS needs to be calculated based on post split numbers not by weighted average number of shares.

Welcome to the forum buddy.. Hope you're the same person..
And good finding..
However I think even with the correct EPS figure of 1.4, Browns inv. is fairly ok.. but its shame on EPS calculation Wink
First VFIN then REEF now BIL.. Seems like accountants are not that intelligent these days or authorities don't care.. Shame on us for not looking at this earlier too. Evil or Very Mad
These are the ways that companies use to fool the investers who are not with good knowledge in accounting.
Actually there is some logic behind the method,used by company to calculate EPS.Person without proper accounting knowledge can not understand such tricks.
It is really nice of our experts that they have kept an eye on such cunning tricks and posted those to the form.
Thank u very much to all.Exclamation

kiwi

kiwi
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
REEF have corrected the EPS figure now. I am not sure if there was any explanation given. http://www.cse.lk/cmt/upload_report_file/568_1307353270.pdf

Chinwi

Chinwi
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
@kiwi wrote:REEF have corrected the EPS figure now. I am not sure if there was any explanation given. http://www.cse.lk/cmt/upload_report_file/568_1307353270.pdf



Can anyone tell me who is the ultimate owner of REEF ?

Is that still Mr. KDD (PABC) or Mr. DJ (Imagewise)

(Pl. Refer above report )

sapumal


Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics
@Chinwi wrote:
@kiwi wrote:REEF have corrected the EPS figure now. I am not sure if there was any explanation given. http://www.cse.lk/cmt/upload_report_file/568_1307353270.pdf



Can anyone tell me who is the ultimate owner of REEF ?

Is that still Mr. KDD (PABC) or Mr. DJ (Imagewise)

(Pl. Refer above report )

Currently it is DJ. PABC is the credit provider. Tomorrow it may be differ

hariesha


Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics
In VFIN its anualised EPS, not for the qtr. Correctly all companies should show their EPS in anualised format. So in VFIN EPS of 4.64 is correct and it trades @ PER of 9.2 which is atractive.

greedy

greedy
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
@hariesha wrote:In VFIN its anualised EPS, not for the qtr. Correctly all companies should show their EPS in anualised format. So in VFIN EPS of 4.64 is correct and it trades @ PER of 9.2 which is atractive.


Companies should disclose only their quarterly & year to date EPS in the quarterly accounts. Because, that would be the actual number based on actual results. When Quarterly EPS is annualised, it implies that company management tells us that the company is going to make profits similar to the current period in the remaining quarters which is totally inaccurate!

Therefore, EPS, should never be annualised in the Quarterly accounts/prospectus. It's up to the investors to predict what will be results for the coming periods.

reyaz

reyaz
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
@sapumal wrote:I don't have any disagree with your point innam. They can't show a EPS using this statement. It is a magic figure
My point is they had a EPS of Rs 7 during last quarter due to the land revaluation and it is in the balance sheet.

Eps = Earnings for the reporing period
           No. Of shares (cumulative)

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum