Sri Lanka Equity Forum
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka Equity Forum would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
Sri Lanka Equity Forum
Sri Lanka Equity Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

සිංහල පරිවර්තනය
Contribute
Submit Post

Submit Post

Latest topics

» Malwatte Valley Plantations Ltd... MAL.N0000
by Cma Today at 1:35 am

» ඔබත් සුලු කොටස් අරගෙන අත්ව්ඳ පලපුරුද්ද ලබා ගැනීමට උත්සාහ ගන්න.
by Baba2020 Today at 1:23 am

» Hotel rally with GHLL
by Mithooshan Yesterday at 11:30 pm

» TOKYO CEMENT COMPANY (LANKA) PLC
by Baba2020 Yesterday at 11:04 pm

» KEEP ON EYE COMB.N AND COMB.X
by pra4u Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» HAYLEYS FABRIC PLC (MGT.N0000)
by Sandaruwan mk Yesterday at 9:38 pm

» මේ LOLC සමූහය BRWN – BIL –CLC- LOFC ) මට පේන විදිහ - මේ මගේ අදහස
by Eranga87 Yesterday at 9:22 pm

» HAYCARB PLC
by Win Win Yesterday at 8:56 pm

» HAYCARB PLC (HAYC.N0000)
by Win Win Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» EAST WEST PROPERTIES PLC (EAST.N0000)
by Dr_CSE Yesterday at 8:43 pm

» KELANI VALLEY PLANTATIONS PLC (KVAL.N0000)
by gosrilanka Yesterday at 7:21 pm

» Dr. Godahewa to be State Minister for capital markets
by rajini Yesterday at 7:10 pm

» plantation Sector
by pra4u Yesterday at 4:17 pm

» Russia's claim to Covid 19 vaccine & Capital markets
by dayandacool Yesterday at 4:13 pm

» DON'T MISS DIPPED PRODUCTS[DIPD]
by Beta1 Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» HVA FOODS PLC (HVA.N0000)
by samaritan Yesterday at 1:35 pm

» After BIL right issue next LOLC... be careful..
by kalu351 Yesterday at 1:21 pm

» LANKEM DEVELOPMENTS PLC (LDEV.N0000)
by kalu351 Yesterday at 9:55 am

» ස්ථාවර රජයක්
by Kipling Yesterday at 9:31 am

» LOLC HOLDINGS PLC (LOLC.N0000)
by Real_Investor Yesterday at 7:53 am

» ASIA SIYAKA COMMODITIES PLC (ASIY.N0000)
by viduranga Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:45 pm

» BROWNS INVESTMENTS PLC (BIL.N0000)
by vikiperera Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:56 pm

» BRWN.........BRWN.........BRWN.........BRWN.........
by Baba2020 Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:28 pm

» DISTILLERIES COMPANY OF SRI LANKA PLC (DIST.N0000)
by Eranga87 Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:52 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL.N0000)
by ADVENTUS Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:08 pm

» TYRE - prospets in the new Government
by Kipling Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:28 pm

Twitter Feeds
POPULAR COMPANIES
A

ABANS ELECTRICALS PLC

ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC Hot

ACL CABLES PLC

ACL PLASTICS PLC

ACME PRINTING & PACKAGING PLC

AGSTAR PLC

AITKEN SPENCE HOTEL HOLDINGS PLC

AITKEN SPENCE PLC

ANILANA HOTELS AND PROPERTIES PLC

ARPICO INSURANCE PLC

ASIA ASSET FINANCE PLC

ASIA CAPITAL PLC

B

BAIRAHA FARMS PLC

BALANGODA PLANTATIONS PLC

BIMPUTH FINANCE PLC

BLUE DIAMONDS JEWELLERY WORLDWIDE PLC

B P P L HOLDINGS PLC

BROWNS BEACH HOTELS PLC

BROWNS INVESTMENTS PLC

C

CARGO BOAT DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC

CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC

CEYLON COLD STORES PLC

CEYLON GRAIN ELEVATORS PLC Hot

CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC

CEYLON TOBACCO COMPANY PLC

CHEVRON LUBRICANTS LANKA PLC

COLOMBO FORT LAND & BUILDING PLC

COMMERCIAL BANK OF CEYLON PLC

CITRUS LEISURE PLC Hot

COMMERCIAL CREDIT AND FINANCE PLC

D

DANKOTUWA PORCELAIN PLC

DFCC BANK PLC

DIALOG AXIATA PLC

DIALOG FINANCE PLC

DIPPED PRODUCTS PLC

DISTILLERIES COMPANY OF SRI LANKA PLC

DUNAMIS CAPITAL PLC

E

EAST WEST PROPERTIES PLC Hot

EASTERN MERCHANTS PLC

EXPOLANKA HOLDINGS PLC

E-CHANNELLING PLC

F

FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC

G

GALADARI HOTELS (LANKA) PLC

GUARDIAN CAPITAL PARTNERS PLC

H

HATTON NATIONAL BANK PLC

HAYLEYS PLC

HAYLEYS FABRIC PLC

HAYLEYS FIBRE PLC Hot

HEMAS HOLDINGS PLC

HIKKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC

HNB ASSURANCE PLC

HVA FOODS PLC

J

JANASHAKTHI INSURANCE COMPANY PLC

JOHN KEELLS HOLDINGS PLC Hot

JOHN KEELLS HOTELS PLC

L

LANKA ASHOK LEYLAND PLC

LANKA IOC PLC

LANKEM CEYLON PLC

LANKEM DEVELOPMENTS PLC

LAUGFS GAS PLC

LAUGFS POWER LIMITED

LOLC FINANCE PLC

LOLC HOLDINGS PLC

LUCKY LANKA MILK PROCESSING COMPANY PLC

M

MELSTACORP PLC

N

NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT BANK PLC

NATION LANKA FINANCE PLC

NESTLE LANKA PLC

O

ORIENT FINANCE PLC

OVERSEAS REALTY (CEYLON) PLC

P

PANASIAN POWER PLC

PEOPLE'S LEASING & FINANCE PLC

PIRAMAL GLASS CEYLON PLC

PRIME FINANCE PLC

R

RAIGAM WAYAMBA SALTERNS PLC

RENUKA AGRI FOODS PLC

RENUKA CAPITAL PLC

RENUKA HOLDINGS PLC

RICHARD PIERIS AND COMPANY PLC

RICHARD PIERIS EXPORTS PLC Hot

ROYAL CERAMICS PLC

S

SAMPATH BANK PLC

SEYLAN BANK PLC

SIERRA CABLES PLC

SINGHE HOSPITALS PLC Hot

SMB LEASING PLC

SOFTLOGIC HOLDINGS PLC

SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC

SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC

SWISSTEK (CEYLON) PLC Hot

T

TEEJAY LANKA PLC

TESS AGRO PLC

THREE ACRE FARMS PLC

TOKYO CEMENT COMPANY (LANKA) PLC Hot

U

UNION BANK OF COLOMBO PLC

V

VALLIBEL FINANCE PLC

VALLIBEL ONE PLC Hot

VALLIBEL POWER ERATHNA PLC

W

WASKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC

Who is online?
In total there are 97 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 96 Guests

webhoundx

Most users ever online was 541 on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:29 am
Statistics
We have 23030 registered users
The newest registered user is ChamikaNirmal

Our users have posted a total of 353132 messages in 52239 subjects

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sri Lanka Equity Forum » Stock Market Talk » Banking Sector

Banking Sector

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 8]

41Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Re: Banking Sector on Mon May 09, 2011 8:26 am

Soundchips


Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
@seyon wrote:
Just for ur info http://www.thesundayleader.lk/2011/05/01/sampath-opens-62-branches/

Sampath Opens 62 Branches


Sampath Bank continued with the growth momentum in 201l 1st quarter (1Q) by posting impressive results over the previous year. Sampath Bank’s pre-tax profit rose to Rs. 1,348.6 mn. in 1Q 2011, reflecting a 70.4% increase year on year (YoY). Bank’s post –tax profit recorded a 60.9 % YoY growth to Rs.898.8 mn. in 2011.
Increase in Bank’s operating expenses over the previous year was managed at Rs. 365.4 mn. or 24.8%, despite the additional expenditure incurred on account of the ambitious branch expansion programme, which entailed opening of 62 branches during the last two years ended 31.03.2011, new recruitments of over 600 staff to manage this expansion drive, higher number of staff promotions and the cost of annual wage increases given effect during the periods under review.
Currently Sampath Bank operates with a 178 branch network and 229 automated teller machines. The Bank opened 40 new branches during 2010, which was a record in Sri Lanka’s banking history plans are underway to continue with the accelerated branch expansion program in year 2011as well.
Meanwhile Sampath Bank Group’s financial results which comprise the Bank and four subsidiary companies were even better. Group 1Q pre-tax profit grew 71.3% YoY to Rs.1,460.8 mn. with Sampath Bank contributing the bulk (92%) as the Group’s main entity. Group post –tax profit grew 64.2% YoY to Rs. 992.5 mn. Marked performance improvements of all four subsidiaries during the review period facilitated recording this higher profit growth rate at group level in 2011.
Increased economic activity in the market and the rapid 42.2% growth achieved by the Bank in its lending activities during the one year period ended 31.03.2011 paved the way for generating a higher fee-based and commission income, which recorded a significant 45.6% YoY growth to Rs. 216.1 mn. in 1Q 2011. Nevertheless Exchange income recorded a negative 1.36% growth in 2011 largely due to the Rs. 36.9 mn. revaluation loss incurred in 2011 on FCBU’s retained profits as against the Rs. 26.0 mn. revaluation loss incurred in 2010. This was solely due to the appreciation of LKR against the US Dollar; from Rs 113.95 as at 31.03.2010 to Rs 110.40 as at 31.03.2011.
The Bank was successful in managing the net charge on loan losses in 2011. As a result of the Bank’s improving credit quality (as indicated by reducing NPL volumes and NPL Ratios, detailed elsewhere in this report), it was possible to reduce provisions made on specific loan losses to Rs. 153.2 mn. in 2011 (even with additional provisions totalling Rs.100.0 mn. included therein), as against Rs. 702.6 mn. made in 2010, which too was inclusive of additional provisions totalling to Rs. 517.4 mn. These additional specific loan loss provisions were made in line with the Bank’s policy of making such provisions against identified NPLs, ignoring the collateral held, aimed at improving Bank’s provision cover. As the Bank achieved an 88.9% Provision Coverage Ratio as at 31.12.2010, the need for such additional provisions was naturally low in 2011.
In addition, based on higher credit growth during the period, a further sum of Rs. 101 mn. was provided as Regulatory General Provisions on loan losses in 2011, the effect of which was however reduced by Rs. 90.4 mn., o/a of a reversal of General Provisions, resulting from the applicable rate being reduced from 0.9% to 0.8% in 1Q 2011.
On the other hand the Bank was successful in making recoveries against NPLs. Consequently it was possible to reverse previous loan loss provisions made to the tune of Rs. 402.9 mn. in 2011, as against Rs. 424.5 mn. reversed in 2010, which figure however was boosted by a single recovery of Rs. 331.9 mn. made in 2010.
The Rs. 275.9 mn. impairment provision made in 2010 on account of the investment in ordinary shares of Union Bank Colombo as instructed by CBSL was reversed & taken to profits of 1Q 2011, since Union Bank shares are now being listed on the Colombo Stock Exchange and are being traded.
Despite the rapid growth recorded in the Bank’s fund based operation as reflected by the 22.2% and 42.2% growth rates achieved during the one year period ended 31.03.2011. in deposits and advances respectively, Bank’s Net Interest Income recorded a Rs. 139.0 mn. YoY drop to Rs.2, 060.5 mn. in 2011. This was mainly due to the return on interest earning assets dropping at a faster rate than the drop in cost of funds on deposits, shrinking the Net Interest Margin (NIM) from 5.59% in 1Q 2010 to 4.22% in 1Q 2011, consequent upon the significant changes that took place in the market’s interest rate structure. However the Bank is in the process of taking effective strategies, aimed at improving NIMs in future.
In addition, reduced Financial VAT tax rates (reduced from 20% to 12.0%) and Corporate Tax (reduced from 35% to 28%), too helped to improve Bank’s post tax profits in 2011.
Improved profits paved the way for most of the Bank’s key financial ratios to record significant improvements over the previous year. Prudent lending practices which included the centralized credit model introduced recently, effective post-sanctioning monitoring systems and intensified recovery efforts against existing NPLs resulted in reducing Bank’s NPLs both in absolute and percentage terms. NPL volumes net of IIS which stood at Rs 7,003 mn. as at 31.03.2010 was reduced to Rs 5,275.9 mn. (24.66%) as at 31.03.211. Similarly Bank’s NPL Ratio was reduced to 3.64% as at 31.03.2011, from 6.89% one year ago, as against the industry’s average NPL Ratio of 5.3% as at December 31, 2010. In addition to the improvement made in the Provision Cover referred to above, the Bank’s Net NPL / Equity Ratio (Open Credit Exposure Ratio) too was reduced to 6.87% as at 31.03.2011 from 20.84% as at 31.03.2010. Furthermore, almost all profit- based Ratios of the Bank such as ROA, ROE and EPS recorded significant improvements.
Sampath also remained as one of the well capitalized banks, with the Tier I Capital Adequacy Ratio at 9.51% and Total Capital Adequacy Ratio at 11.41% as at 31.03.2011, despite the higher 42.19% credit growth recorded during the one year period ended 31.03.2011.
Bank’s total deposit and total asset bases grew by 22.2% and 24.55% respectively during the one year period ended 31.03.2011. The growth rates in the two areas during the 1Q 2011 were 7.84 % and 9.37 % respectively. In addition, growth in customer advances were phenomenal, with advances volumes recording a significant 42.2% growth during the one year period ended 31.03.2011 and 13.3% in IQ 2011.
Taking in to account of the bank’s better performance in 2010, Bank paid a final dividend of Rs.6.60 per share in the form of scrip dividend in addition to the interim Rs. 3 per share scrip dividend already paid. Even after the two share-splits, which increased the number of shares by 120% in 2010, Sampath share is currently traded at around Rs 285 p.s. This price is well above the re-stated Rs. 103.78 net assets value per share after the share-splits. In terms of market capitalization, Sampath Bank’s ranking on the CSE has now improved to 14th position, as against the 15th position held on 31.12.2010.



Thanks

"Sampath Bank continued with the growth momentum in 2011` 1st quarter (1Q) by posting impressive results over the previous year. Sampath Bank’s pre-tax profit rose to Rs. 1,348.6 mn. in 1Q 2011, reflecting a 70.4% increase year on year (YoY). Bank’s post –tax profit recorded a 60.9 % YoY growth to Rs.898.8 mn. in 2011."

I think .. further expansion can be expected....

42Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Re: Banking Sector on Wed May 11, 2011 7:03 am

seyon


Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Seylan aims greater expansion with Rights Issue

At an Extraordinary General Meeting held on May 9, Seylan Bank announced its launch of a Rights Issue through which it proposes to raise Rs. 4,691,533,285. All the proposed resolutions at the EGM were unanimously approved by the large number of shareholders present, thus endorsing their unwavering confidence in Seylan Bank’s future potential.

The Bank will offer 43,333,333 Ordinary Voting Shares to the registered holders of Ordinary Voting Shares in the ratio of one share for every three shares held in the Company at an issue price of Rs. 75/- per ordinary voting share.

It will parallely offer 41,186,666 Non Voting Shares to the registered holders of Ordinary Non Voting Shares in the ratio of one share for every three shares held in the Company at an issue price of Rs. 35/- per ordinary (non-voting) share.

Chairman of the Seylan Bank Eastman Narangoda said: “The objectives of the Rights Issue are primarily to increase the Tier 1 Capital of the Bank to have a strong capital base, and for mobilization of long term funds in a bid to fund the proposed increase in the long term lending portfolio of the Bank, especially the housing sector and also to facilitate the future expansion programme of the Bank”.

The Bank’s long term lending will also cover large scale investment projects along with agricultural, small and medium scale projects. Under a proposed expansion programme, Seylan Bank will also increase its branch network island-wide while parallely upgrading and refurbishing existing branches.

The Bank also looks forward to investing in advanced IT infrastructure to meet the demands of its expansion drive and to further add value to its customer service enhancement processes in order improve business efficiency as well and meet the envisaged future customer service requirements.

Seylan Bank’s General Manager / CEO Kapila Ariyaratne added, “With our new initiatives focused on productivity improvements, we will henceforth be able to run at a more optimal level of performance and thereby enjoy a further improvement in profitability. We’re looking to further introduce a series of strategic measures.

These include an investment in advanced technology, organizational restructuring and employee job enrichment and engagement processes by benchmarking international best practices from within and outside the country. There would also be further investment on continuous staff training and development”.

Seylan Bank recently posted an impressive Rs. 256.3 Mn profit in the first quarter of 2011 recording a sharp 38% increase compared with the Rs. 185.9 Mn in the corresponding period of the previous year.

The Bank’s pre-tax profit was Rs. 395 Mn, up by nearly 36% from the Rs. 291.7 Mn in the corresponding period of the previous year.

The Bank also recorded a net profit of Rs. 1.2 Bn for 2010 which was a 126% increase compared to Rs. 543 Mn for 2009. Pre-tax profit, at Rs. 1.9 Bn, was up by an impressive 124% from 2009, the highest ever profit figure earned by the Bank since its inception.

Riding high on this all-time high performance, Seylan is geared to further establish the much-envied position it commands as one of Sri Lanka’s top ranking brands.

“We have made great progress and I have no doubt that this latest initiative will facilitate our further maintaining that momentum and propel Seylan Bank forward to even greater levels of success”, Chairman Narangoda concluded.

43Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Re: Banking Sector on Wed May 11, 2011 7:56 am

Soundchips


Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
@seyon wrote:Hi Friends

This brief analysis is connected to my previous analysis (http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t2231-banking-sector-analysis-combhnbseybntbsambdfcchdfcndbpapc-and-mbsl) and this analysis in briefing the financials comparing with previous year and including main features (key balances and numbers) of the retail largest banks. I excluded the DFCC,NDB and HDFC , as their scope is mainly focus on development banking. Further I give certain measures ( KPI- Key Performance Indicators) to interpret the performance. I do not restrict with these KPI, if u have additional measures related to banking industry, Pls share with us..

This is good time to discuss about banking sectors, as expected to see the first quarter results with the new improvement due to tax saving and economic growth. Here we have veteran analyzers with different views, which would help us to have good investment decision and to sharing our knowledge and views.

Following are the my selected KPIs
* Interest Margin
* % of Other Income Out of Operating Profit Operational Cost to Income Ratio
* % Loan Loss Provision out of Total Non Performing Loan
* NPL Raito
* PER
* PBV
* Number of Employees (comment in terms of total assets)


This is My View……………….

When I do the analysis of banks (SEYB,NTB,SAMP,PABC) KPIs ,I took the indicators of COMB and HNB as industry norms ( I may be wrong) as these two banks are relatively strength in the banking industry and analyzed COMB and HNB by comparing each others.

1.SEYB…

Interest Margin – Line with industry

% of Other Income Out of Operating Profit- Very High, out of that 1Bn bad debt written back and recovered

Operational Cost to Income Ratio – Very high % comparing with other banks

% Loan Loss Provision out of Total Non Performing Loan – Comparably High

NPL Raito - Highest Ratio in the Banking Sectors ( this might be improved due to the recent restructured program taken place in the bank and Bank strategic target to reduce to 10% during the year.)

PER - Trading @ 15X which is slightly low comparing with other retails banks. This impact is due to the recent Rights issue

PBV- Very Low… This also may be due to the recent Rights issue

Number of Employees – Very High

2.NTB

Interest Margin – Line with industry

% of Other Income Out of Operating Profit- Very High, out of that 1.3Bn reported as fees and other income ( no details given) this may
be due to the unrealized gain on fair value adjustment.

Operational Cost to Income Ratio – Very high % amongst other banks

% Loan Loss Provision out of Total Non Performing Loan – Comparably High, However comparing with previous year good improvement.

NPL Raito – Good, line with industry…

PER - Trading @ 18x, Fairly trading @ Industry average

PBV - Line with Industry

Number of Employees - Comparably high

3.SAMP

Interest Margin – Line with industry

% of Other Income Out of Operating Profit- Slightly High, out of that Capital Gain on Sale of LBFL shares 654Mn , Bad Debt Recoveries
1.2Bn and Recovery of Impairment of Investment 1.3Bn. Hence Recovery of impairment and Capital gain are non recurring items amounts to Rs.2Bn.

Operational Cost to Income Ratio – Par with industry
% Loan Loss Provision out of Total Non Performing Loan – Very High reporting @ 12% due to the bank made additional specific credit
loss provisions of Rs. 1,344.9 Mn, over and above the amounts recommended by the Central Bank of Sri Lanka ignoring collateral values.

NPL Raito – Good, and Well managed

PER - Trading @ 14x, is Low comparing with other bank, However, taking out the non recurring income Rs.1.3Bn, then PE would be trading above the average.

PBV - Line with Industry

Number of Employees – Fairly ok. We could see there were new recruitment about 300 staff due to addition of 30 new branches during the year.

4.PABC

Interest Margin – Slightly high margin with other banks

% of Other Income Out of Operating Profit- Fairly Good

Operational Cost to Income Ratio – Par with industry

% Loan Loss Provision out of Total Non Performing Loan – Improved comparing with previous year. Par with the industry

NPL Raito – Above the industry average, however it is improved comparing with previous year.

PER - Trading @ 21x, is high comparing with other bank.

PBV - Line with Industry

Number of Employees – Comparably High..

5.HNB

Interest Margin – Par with industry

% of Other Income Out of Operating Profit- Comparing with COMB contribution is high, that is due to the capital gain of sales quoted investment amounts 600Mn

Operational Cost to Income Ratio – Reporting @76% comparing with COMB, ratio is high

% Loan Loss Provision out of Total Non Performing Loan – Well Maintained at very low level

NPL Raito – Reporting at 5% , Very lower level

PER - Trading @ 20x, is high comparing with other bank.

PBV - Line with Industry

Number of Employees – Little bit high compare to COMB employees with the total assets.


6.COMB

Interest Margin – Par with industry

% of Other Income Out of Operating Profit- Reporting at 33%, Lowest contribution to operational profit.

Operational Cost to Income Ratio – Reporting @ 61% very lowest amongst the banks.

% Loan Loss Provision out of Total Non Performing Loan – Well Maintained at very low level

NPL Raito – Reporting at 7% , a little bit higher compare to HNB

PER - Trading @ 19x

PBV - Line with Industry

Ok, there can be some differ view on the interpretation and comparison of KPI or additional measures to be brought to have good analysis.

So Pls share ur thoughts and views on the KPI or If u have some additional / different measures to be adopted… Pls contribute that with the analysis

Thanks in advance

Find the attachment of Brief Analysis of Banking Sector

Thanks for the analysis..









44Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Re: Banking Sector on Wed May 11, 2011 12:29 pm

Aamiable


Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics
hybrid_OS wrote:
@seyon wrote:
hybrid_OS wrote:
@tubal wrote:I do appreciate Seyon's hard work. Well done.
buf if you ask me (and no one is asking me :-) ), unimaginative brokers are promoting the banking sector and most investors are falling hook line and sinker for it. When the interims start coming out, we will find that once you deduct the extra-ordinary items, eps growth is very ordinary.

You will also find that the central banks increase in the reserve ratio will have a negative impact on the banks bottom line.

Agree with tubal to some extent. Banking sectors has seen better days.
In my opinion Sampath is the most secure investment though you will not lose with others mentioned above.

Prudency in showing higher provisions for bad debts is not a negative sign. Actually, to the contrary it gives an investor more confidence.

Profits will be marginal though. Cannot expect anything exceptional.

Hi hybrid

For the SAMB don"t u think the opening of 30 branches during the year of 2010 will impact the cost income ratio negatively in coming quarters. Then this impact would hit the bottom line...

How do u look into this...



Seyon, you have already answered your own question subsequently.
My opinion...

If I think like a big investor, where can I invest my millions without blinking an eye?
Are there any other options available?
A big investor will want to improve his ROI with a reputable, progressive and a company that has big plans for the future.

Sampath bank has that in their vision. They are not going to sit back and let HNB, COMB, SEYB,BOC get their share of the banking business.
They must have good LTP's for the next 5-10 years. Yes it may hit the bottom line hard, but the major investors are informed and they are on board.

What if Sampath just waits? It's like offering the new business / customers on a platter to the rest of the big banks! Like Gambir said:Quote: we are here not just to participate in the game. We are here to win" Unquote.


So I prefer if Sampath does something with my money that I cannot do and they are best geared to do. May I have good ROI in the years to come.

Go long term with Sampath.









I also think SAMP is a dependable, medium to long term stock..all the other banks COMB, DFCC, NTB..

45Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Re: Banking Sector on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:14 am

Rookantha Rajapakse


Stock Analytic
Stock Analytic
Hey people so what is your opinion...best bank in Sri Lanka invest for and best bank in Sri Lanka work for? what is the best for employees?

could you please come back to me?

46Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Re: Banking Sector on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:31 pm

Aamiable


Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics
HNB.X JKH is also green and heavily traded. COMB is green

47Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Re: Banking Sector on Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:02 pm

Gaja


Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Friends if you can have at least 3 year investment plan study about the banking sector, where you can find good shares

49Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Re: Banking Sector on Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:10 pm

dumifer

dumifer
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
for me it is NDB

50Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Re: Banking Sector on Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:32 pm

Nuwan Prasad


Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

51Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Banking and Finance Sector on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:26 am

ruwan326

ruwan326
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Banking sector profits seen losing steam ahead of 3Q earnings season-2018-10-16

The banking sector earnings, which once looked almost immune to economic cycles, have indicated some signs of weakness in recent times, as the sector is facing multiple headwinds, which are putting its resilience to test. 


The most recent data seen by Mirror Business signalled a possible decline in sector profits, which for over a year were plagued by a number of problems from higher credit costs to slowdown in demand for fresh loans.


The government has also slapped higher taxes on the banking sector, which is looked at as a cash cow to be milked every time the government coffers run dry. 


The data for the first eight months showed that although the interest income of the banking sector had increased by Rs.87.8 billion from the same period in 2017, the after tax profits had increased by only Rs.300 million. 


The banking sector reported after tax profits of Rs.86.9 billion in total during the first eight months in 2018, on an interest income of Rs.716.4 billion. 


In a note released on the banking sector performance in September, Fitch Ratings predicted a mild pressure on the performance during the rest of 2018 and possibly in 2019, due to the challenging operating conditions. 


Fitch Ratings is maintaining a ‘Negative’ outlook on the sector as the operating conditions continue to be difficult against a challenging macroeconomic backdrop, which is expected to pressure the banks’ performance in the short to medium term. Sri Lanka’s banking sector asset quality fell to a new low in August this year, as the reported gross non-performing loan (NPL) ratio rose to 3.6 percent, from 3.4 percent in July and 2.5 percent in 2017. 


However, the Central Bank believes the potential NPL ratio to be over 5.0 percent, as most banks are believed to have rescheduled the troubled loans to show a better picture. 


The rescheduled loans have increased by a staggering Rs.155 billion by end-August 2018, from Rs.93 billion a year ago, an increase of 66 percent. 


Higher credit costs or provisions for possible bad loans are also on the rise, denting the profits further. New taxes and higher tax rates have increased the banking sector effective tax rate to over 50 percent in most cases, making the industry the heaviest taxed in any country. 
As a result, the return on equity, the commonly watched investor ratio, which gauges the sector attractiveness, has declined by 310 basis points during the eight months, to 14.5 percent. 


This is also partly due to the new capital raised by the banks since 2017 to remain compliant with the full implementation of the BASEL III capital ratios coming into effect from January 1, 2019. 


Sri Lankan banks have raised Tier I capital of Rs.66 billion and Tier II capital of Rs.45 billion since 2017, ahead of the full implementation of BASEL III in 2019, Fitch Rating said. “This includes Rs.10 billion of equity by the large state-licensed commercial banks. Further capital raising is likely in 2018, although much of the shortfall was bridged in 2017,” the rating agency noted. 

Despite the weakness in earnings, the Sri Lankan banks remain relatively strong and well capitalized to withstand shocks after 
capital raisings. 


Banks will start filing their third quarter earnings from next week onwards. Analysts expect higher provisions and slowdown in new loans to decelerate earnings growth. 

http://www.dailymirror.lk/article/Ba...n--156910.html

52Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Re: Banking Sector on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:34 am

samaritan


Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
There is nothing surprising. All sectors are bound to lose steam!

53Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Re: Banking Sector on Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:21 pm

Yahapalanaya

Yahapalanaya
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
@ruwan326 wrote:Banking sector profits seen losing steam ahead of 3Q earnings season-2018-10-16

The banking sector earnings, which once looked almost immune to economic cycles, have indicated some signs of weakness in recent times, as the sector is facing multiple headwinds, which are putting its resilience to test. 


The most recent data seen by Mirror Business signalled a possible decline in sector profits, which for over a year were plagued by a number of problems from higher credit costs to slowdown in demand for fresh loans.


The government has also slapped higher taxes on the banking sector, which is looked at as a cash cow to be milked every time the government coffers run dry. 


The data for the first eight months showed that although the interest income of the banking sector had increased by Rs.87.8 billion from the same period in 2017, the after tax profits had increased by only Rs.300 million. 


The banking sector reported after tax profits of Rs.86.9 billion in total during the first eight months in 2018, on an interest income of Rs.716.4 billion. 


In a note released on the banking sector performance in September, Fitch Ratings predicted a mild pressure on the performance during the rest of 2018 and possibly in 2019, due to the challenging operating conditions. 


Fitch Ratings is maintaining a ‘Negative’ outlook on the sector as the operating conditions continue to be difficult against a challenging macroeconomic backdrop, which is expected to pressure the banks’ performance in the short to medium term. Sri Lanka’s banking sector asset quality fell to a new low in August this year, as the reported gross non-performing loan (NPL) ratio rose to 3.6 percent, from 3.4 percent in July and 2.5 percent in 2017. 


However, the Central Bank believes the potential NPL ratio to be over 5.0 percent, as most banks are believed to have rescheduled the troubled loans to show a better picture. 


The rescheduled loans have increased by a staggering Rs.155 billion by end-August 2018, from Rs.93 billion a year ago, an increase of 66 percent. 


Higher credit costs or provisions for possible bad loans are also on the rise, denting the profits further. New taxes and higher tax rates have increased the banking sector effective tax rate to over 50 percent in most cases, making the industry the heaviest taxed in any country. 
As a result, the return on equity, the commonly watched investor ratio, which gauges the sector attractiveness, has declined by 310 basis points during the eight months, to 14.5 percent. 


This is also partly due to the new capital raised by the banks since 2017 to remain compliant with the full implementation of the BASEL III capital ratios coming into effect from January 1, 2019. 


Sri Lankan banks have raised Tier I capital of Rs.66 billion and Tier II capital of Rs.45 billion since 2017, ahead of the full implementation of BASEL III in 2019, Fitch Rating said. “This includes Rs.10 billion of equity by the large state-licensed commercial banks. Further capital raising is likely in 2018, although much of the shortfall was bridged in 2017,” the rating agency noted. 

Despite the weakness in earnings, the Sri Lankan banks remain relatively strong and well capitalized to withstand shocks after 
capital raisings. 


Banks will start filing their third quarter earnings from next week onwards. Analysts expect higher provisions and slowdown in new loans to decelerate earnings growth. 

http://www.dailymirror.lk/article/Ba...n--156910.html
Let's see CDB,SAMP results in coming weeks.

54Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Re: Banking Sector on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:18 am

soileconomy

soileconomy
Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics
@Yahapalanaya wrote:
@ruwan326 wrote:Banking sector profits seen losing steam ahead of 3Q earnings season-2018-10-16

The banking sector earnings, which once looked almost immune to economic cycles, have indicated some signs of weakness in recent times, as the sector is facing multiple headwinds, which are putting its resilience to test. 


The most recent data seen by Mirror Business signalled a possible decline in sector profits, which for over a year were plagued by a number of problems from higher credit costs to slowdown in demand for fresh loans.


The government has also slapped higher taxes on the banking sector, which is looked at as a cash cow to be milked every time the government coffers run dry. 


The data for the first eight months showed that although the interest income of the banking sector had increased by Rs.87.8 billion from the same period in 2017, the after tax profits had increased by only Rs.300 million. 


The banking sector reported after tax profits of Rs.86.9 billion in total during the first eight months in 2018, on an interest income of Rs.716.4 billion. 


In a note released on the banking sector performance in September, Fitch Ratings predicted a mild pressure on the performance during the rest of 2018 and possibly in 2019, due to the challenging operating conditions. 


Fitch Ratings is maintaining a ‘Negative’ outlook on the sector as the operating conditions continue to be difficult against a challenging macroeconomic backdrop, which is expected to pressure the banks’ performance in the short to medium term. Sri Lanka’s banking sector asset quality fell to a new low in August this year, as the reported gross non-performing loan (NPL) ratio rose to 3.6 percent, from 3.4 percent in July and 2.5 percent in 2017. 


However, the Central Bank believes the potential NPL ratio to be over 5.0 percent, as most banks are believed to have rescheduled the troubled loans to show a better picture. 


The rescheduled loans have increased by a staggering Rs.155 billion by end-August 2018, from Rs.93 billion a year ago, an increase of 66 percent. 


Higher credit costs or provisions for possible bad loans are also on the rise, denting the profits further. New taxes and higher tax rates have increased the banking sector effective tax rate to over 50 percent in most cases, making the industry the heaviest taxed in any country. 
As a result, the return on equity, the commonly watched investor ratio, which gauges the sector attractiveness, has declined by 310 basis points during the eight months, to 14.5 percent. 


This is also partly due to the new capital raised by the banks since 2017 to remain compliant with the full implementation of the BASEL III capital ratios coming into effect from January 1, 2019. 


Sri Lankan banks have raised Tier I capital of Rs.66 billion and Tier II capital of Rs.45 billion since 2017, ahead of the full implementation of BASEL III in 2019, Fitch Rating said. “This includes Rs.10 billion of equity by the large state-licensed commercial banks. Further capital raising is likely in 2018, although much of the shortfall was bridged in 2017,” the rating agency noted. 

Despite the weakness in earnings, the Sri Lankan banks remain relatively strong and well capitalized to withstand shocks after 
capital raisings. 


Banks will start filing their third quarter earnings from next week onwards. Analysts expect higher provisions and slowdown in new loans to decelerate earnings growth. 

http://www.dailymirror.lk/article/Ba...n--156910.html
Let's see CDB,SAMP results in coming weeks.
Banking sector represent two banks....???

55Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Re: Banking Sector on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:50 am

Yahapalanaya

Yahapalanaya
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
@soileconomy wrote:
@Yahapalanaya wrote:
@ruwan326 wrote:Banking sector profits seen losing steam ahead of 3Q earnings season-2018-10-16

The banking sector earnings, which once looked almost immune to economic cycles, have indicated some signs of weakness in recent times, as the sector is facing multiple headwinds, which are putting its resilience to test. 


The most recent data seen by Mirror Business signalled a possible decline in sector profits, which for over a year were plagued by a number of problems from higher credit costs to slowdown in demand for fresh loans.


The government has also slapped higher taxes on the banking sector, which is looked at as a cash cow to be milked every time the government coffers run dry. 


The data for the first eight months showed that although the interest income of the banking sector had increased by Rs.87.8 billion from the same period in 2017, the after tax profits had increased by only Rs.300 million. 


The banking sector reported after tax profits of Rs.86.9 billion in total during the first eight months in 2018, on an interest income of Rs.716.4 billion. 


In a note released on the banking sector performance in September, Fitch Ratings predicted a mild pressure on the performance during the rest of 2018 and possibly in 2019, due to the challenging operating conditions. 


Fitch Ratings is maintaining a ‘Negative’ outlook on the sector as the operating conditions continue to be difficult against a challenging macroeconomic backdrop, which is expected to pressure the banks’ performance in the short to medium term. Sri Lanka’s banking sector asset quality fell to a new low in August this year, as the reported gross non-performing loan (NPL) ratio rose to 3.6 percent, from 3.4 percent in July and 2.5 percent in 2017. 


However, the Central Bank believes the potential NPL ratio to be over 5.0 percent, as most banks are believed to have rescheduled the troubled loans to show a better picture. 


The rescheduled loans have increased by a staggering Rs.155 billion by end-August 2018, from Rs.93 billion a year ago, an increase of 66 percent. 


Higher credit costs or provisions for possible bad loans are also on the rise, denting the profits further. New taxes and higher tax rates have increased the banking sector effective tax rate to over 50 percent in most cases, making the industry the heaviest taxed in any country. 
As a result, the return on equity, the commonly watched investor ratio, which gauges the sector attractiveness, has declined by 310 basis points during the eight months, to 14.5 percent. 


This is also partly due to the new capital raised by the banks since 2017 to remain compliant with the full implementation of the BASEL III capital ratios coming into effect from January 1, 2019. 


Sri Lankan banks have raised Tier I capital of Rs.66 billion and Tier II capital of Rs.45 billion since 2017, ahead of the full implementation of BASEL III in 2019, Fitch Rating said. “This includes Rs.10 billion of equity by the large state-licensed commercial banks. Further capital raising is likely in 2018, although much of the shortfall was bridged in 2017,” the rating agency noted. 

Despite the weakness in earnings, the Sri Lankan banks remain relatively strong and well capitalized to withstand shocks after 
capital raisings. 


Banks will start filing their third quarter earnings from next week onwards. Analysts expect higher provisions and slowdown in new loans to decelerate earnings growth. 

http://www.dailymirror.lk/article/Ba...n--156910.html
Let's see CDB,SAMP results in coming weeks.
Banking sector represent two banks....???
You should have some brain to be in stock market.Every sector has good stocks and bad stocks. lol! lol! lol!

56Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Re: Banking Sector on Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:15 pm

TuTanKaman


Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
Fundamentally banking sector is weak. Economy slowdown is affecting very badly on NPAs. Most banks these days hide their NPAs under carpet. They have huge pressure to raise capital by 2020. Effective tax rate with medamulana tax is about 50%. Slfrs 9 on provisioning will see 40% increase in provisions this year. Be careful b4 invest

57Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Re: Banking Sector on Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:00 pm

ThilinaM

ThilinaM
Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics
NDB is not bad but seylan is quick money . its crashed to bottom. after Right issue over it will give u instant 50% return

58Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Re: Banking Sector on Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:13 pm

Mr-Star


Stock Analytic
Stock Analytic
SEMB.N   why same level within around 1 1/2 Years....

59Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Re: Banking Sector on Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:16 pm

PDH


Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
ABL.............. Laughing

60Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Sell your all Bank, finance related shares. on Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:41 am

Teller

Teller
Moderator
Moderator
If it happens, God bless all of us. I will update soon the scenario.

61Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Re: Banking Sector on Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:49 am

KavinduTM

KavinduTM
Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics
Sir. Whats gonna happen  Shocked

62Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Re: Banking Sector on Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:50 am

Teller

Teller
Moderator
Moderator


_________________




Teller said is said..

63Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Re: Banking Sector on Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:53 am

Teller

Teller
Moderator
Moderator
Its a joke, government will not settle any thing for banks,finance companies. This will hit their cash flow in same way capital for fresh lending. Depositors be careful as your interest income will not receive on time.


_________________




Teller said is said..

64Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Re: Banking Sector on Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:54 am

kasun_gimhana

kasun_gimhana
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
Right issues are coming baby ???? Or central bank going to prohibit cross-holding  LOl. I saw the news in the paper 2 months before.

65Banking Sector - Page 3 Empty Re: Banking Sector on Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:55 am

Teller

Teller
Moderator
Moderator
Who is baby...😂😂😂😂hahaaha


_________________




Teller said is said..

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum