FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Latest Financial Status and Future Outlook of SMB Finance PLC
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 11:15 pm

» Latest Financial Status and Future Outlook of Overseas Realty PLC
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 11:00 pm

» Latest Financial Status and Future Outlook of Merchant Bank of Sri Lanka & Finance PLC
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» McDonald’s අපේ නෙමෙයි අපේ බෝස්ගේ – අබාන්ස් කියයි
by ChooBoy Yesterday at 10:19 am

» AI Assistance for Stock Market Research and Analysis
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 7:12 am

» Comparative Analysis of the Insurance Sector
by God Father Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:46 pm

» Sri Lanka: Why Pay Exorbitant Taxes?
by ChatGPT Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:52 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by K.R Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:15 pm

» CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC (CIND.N0000)
by D.G.Dayaratne Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:11 am

» SIYAPATHA FINANACE PLC (SLFL.N0000)
by ChatGPT Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:58 am

» FINANCE AND LEASING SECTOR
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:45 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:36 am

» CIC HOLDINGS PLC (CIC.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:18 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:15 am

» First Capital Holdings PLC: Current Financial performance and future outlook
by God Father Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:58 pm

» LankaBizz: Sri Lanka's First ever Artificially Intelligent (AI) Business and Research Assistant
by God Father Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:27 am

» HOTEL AND TRAVEL SECTOR
by ErangaDS Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:22 am

» CIC Holdings Good Times Ahead
by ashan silva Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 am

» EPF Fund keep eye on low P/E Shares
by K.R Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:45 am

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Hawk Eye Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:37 am

» Ceylon cold stores
by Hawk Eye Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:25 am

» Asha securities Provide buy signal for CIC
by ddrperera Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:10 am

» CSE ready for another Downtrend?
by D.G.Dayaratne Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:24 am

» LankaLAW Forum : Sri Lanka’s #1 Discussion Platform for Legal Questions and Answers
by blindhog Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:14 am

» Sri Lanka poised to benefit from demand surge for ‘non-China origin’ graphite
by samaritan Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:31 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Unnecessary Regulations to do more harm than good

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

SNIPO (+)

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

I believe that relevant authorities would look into the market soon (just my thought) as things are getting bearish by the day, and the CSE is becoming less attractive to both existing and potential investors... not only that, even foreigners find it less attractive, and the reason for that is possibly the fact that there are back to back IPOs, and cash gets stuck in those for a while, until those stocks start to trade... Hope the relevant authorities would look into this and get all of us out of this predicament.... Embarassed

Share this post on: reddit

Post Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:48 pm by nkalansu

Hello friends...

It appears that most of the investors find the Colombo Stock Exchange unattractive.

When one go through the recent posts on this forum some members are thinking of going back to the Government Securities Market (TBills / TBonds).

Selling pressure is high and if one go through the foreign buying / selling for the last couple of weeks we can find net selling by the foreigners.

Local retail small time investors have got wiped out and they are with empty pockets due to forced selling in the recent times. These people have not been properly educated on using credit / management of credit to invest. People are going behind junk stocks without any reason at all just because of speculation. Price Bands have not given the expected results.

It appears that unwanted / unnecessary regulations have resulted in CSE unattractive for both local and foreign investors and will post a major problem for development of equity market in Sri Lanka. If investors are not there...then to whom you are going to develop the equity market???

Also it appears that certain authorities are not acting in a forward looking manner. (eg. Too many IPOs - Three IPOs in the month of June! From where these cash come from???).

All these will have a negative impact on government's vision on making Sri Lanka Asia's wonder.

Too much of regulations will do no good at all. Also timing of proposed IPOs should have been properly managed. I feel that they have destroyed CSE.

Post Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:26 pm by Investor99

Hi Guys / Gals

A lot of shares in the CSE are undervalued and very attractive at the current prices levels.

In my opinion there should be regulations and if the ten percent price band is not there today the market indexes would have dropped further down.
Credit should be allowed in a monitor manner if not there is a high probability of a bubble forming.

The regulators and the regulations should not be blamed, you need to put the blame on the investors who bought the wrong shares at the wrong time and are unable to pay for their purchases as the share price has gone down. So thus are forced to sell the shares at a loss. For this reason you cannot blame the regulations.

Current market is very attractive for long term investors !!!

Post Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:32 pm by wikum100

Investor99 wrote:Hi Guys / Gals

A lot of shares in the CSE are undervalued and very attractive at the current prices levels.

In my opinion there should be regulations and if the ten percent price band is not there today the market indexes would have dropped further down.
Credit should be allowed in a monitor manner if not there is a high probability of a bubble forming.

The regulators and the regulations should not be blamed, you need to put the blame on the investors who bought the wrong shares at the wrong time and are unable to pay for their purchases as the share price has gone down. So thus are forced to sell the shares at a loss. For this reason you cannot blame the regulations.

when asi falls to 6000 level also ppl might say such and such counters are attactive at that price ...no fluctuations in the mkt means ,,...nobody getting profits but only the bokers...so buying in this maket situation where no one seeing the bottem of it is very dangerous No

Post Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:47 pm by nkalansu

wikum100 wrote:
Investor99 wrote:Hi Guys / Gals

when asi falls to 6000 level also ppl might say such and such counters are attactive at that price ...no fluctuations in the mkt means ,,...nobody getting profits but only the bokers...so buying in the maket situation where no one seeing the bottem of it is very dangerous No

To : investor99

I think it is not good to blame one side "the investor". Investor is the driving force behind the market. Nobody can purchase a stock for a perfect price and there is no such thing called perfect price. Perfect price depends on the risk profile of the investor which means how much of risk an investor is willing to take.

The authorities should look at the interest of both Investor and broker and maintaining healthy credit level at the market. Total elimination of credit will serve no purpose.

If you take a normal business there is some level of credit comes in to play. Otherwise there is no point in putting up Banks and Financial Institutions.

What is happening now is total elimination of Credit / Strict adherence to regulations. Final outcome would be Brokering firms are getting rich. Investors are getting wiped out. When market go down to 5000 level some may say this and that counter is attractive. At that time there will be more and more forced selling....

There must be certain level of credit/ proper management of credit/ proper dialog between investors-brokering firms -regulators, education of investors, proper management of timing of IPOs/rights issues etc.

Post Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:59 pm by Investor99

Today we are seeing this behaviour in the market because unregulated credit was offered by the brokers.

The 2008 recession also started because unregulated credit was given to house owns in the US which resulted in the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers.

So the credit needs to be regulated, that what the CSE is doing now. I think we have to have patience and faith about the CSE activites.

I think the foreign investors have lost confidence because of many reason and I think one might be the high level of credit in the market.

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:06 am by nkalansu

Investor99 wrote:Today we are seeing this behaviour in the market because unregulated credit was offered by the brokers.

The 2008 recession also started because unregulated credit was given to house owns in the US which resulted in the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers.

So the credit needs to be regulated, that what the CSE is doing now. I think we have to have patience and faith about the CSE activites.

I think the foreign investors have lost confidence because of many reason and I think one might be the high level of credit in the market.

To : Investor99

I totally agree with you that we should regulate the level of credit.

rijayasooriya

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:13 am by rijayasooriya

Level of credits should be regulated.
But this T+5 day is really unnecessary way of regulating credits as it causes forced selling as a result of which market will come down and retailors will burn their fingers. This will generate less attractive market.

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:13 am by Investor99

Brother nkalansu

Banks are in business today do you think they just give you a loan no you have to provide collateral. There should be some point of understanding between the lender and accepter of credit and I don’t think brokers are allowed to provide credit. If we need to make our market attractive to foreigners I think we need to eliminate the credit like most stock markets in the world.

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:20 am by Investor99

I think the T+5 is good it will move the share prices on based on organic demand and supply and not unnatural demand and supply of share manipulation.

rijayasooriya

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:24 am by rijayasooriya

Elimination of credits should not be done by giving dead line.It will cause bearish market. This what has happened to our market.
What they should do is,
'DO NOT GRANT NEW CREDIT AND ALLOW THE INVESTERS TO GET RID OF CREDIT WITHOUT FORCE SELLING.'
This will take time but it will not cause this type of disaster.

Tiger

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:30 am by Tiger

My personal belief is that SEC will introduce some form of credit mechanism back in place by 30/9, which would result in another ripple in the market.

I think, one would be able to make more money if he can predict the next rule change in the market than searching for fundermentals.

In fact these days I follow many avenues to snip out the next rule change. My belief is that any credit enhancement news will make market to bounce back at least 5-10%.

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:31 am by nkalansu

Investor99 wrote:Brother nkalansu

Banks are in business today do you think they just give you a loan no you have to provide collateral. There should be some point of understanding between the lender and accepter of credit and I don’t think brokers are allowed to provide credit. If we need to make our market attractive to foreigners I think we need to eliminate the credit like most stock markets in the world.

It is wise to study how other developed markets have addressed this credit issue as "Investor99" has rightly pointed out the relationship between lender and borrower.

Also I too agree that brokers are not allowed to provide credit and there should be a separate entity to accept shares as collateral and lend based on that.

I wish our regulators will look into formation of a better system that investors have access to more secure way of utilization of credit than T+5 days (which is a risky option) for the sake of all the stakeholders of CSE.

player

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:07 am by player

no they wont.......if they did finally retailers will suffer for sure,its their strategy,..they will let their relatives to collect much and much,and will introduce foolish regulations.

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:31 am by Investor99

The market capitalisation of the CSE is very low compared to the other stock markets in the Asian region. In my opinion the IPO would improve this situation and make CSE more attractive to foreign investors

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:28 am by Investor99

My only hope is that the authorities don’t introduce any amendments to delay the existing unregulated credit issue. I hope they could solve it once and for all or it’s not in the best interest of the stock market in the long run. When you look at the market today there are lots of shares which are overvalued. Foreigners keep away from overvalued markets as there are more attractive markets in the region to invest their money. In my opinion it would be in the best interest of all of us if the unregulated credit provided is cleared. Only the local investors cannot drive this market the foreign investors are a must. Also the CSE is not a place to play around with credit as it can have grave consequences

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:37 pm by lokuayya

Good theory investor99,
Kill all the retails investors and throw them to foreign lions.make them happy.

Marketinvest

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:11 pm by Marketinvest

Tipical sri lankan regulations. They will do what they want

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:42 pm by lokuayya

investor99,

Just for curiosity I am asking,You have mention above "eliminate credit like other world markets "
Can you tell us what are the markets that eliminated credit? and how they did it without a making a market crash?

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:16 pm by Investor99

Actually the regulators should have taken action last year or year before that. I heard the amount of credit in CSE is pretty high.

To lokuayya
In CSE once you place the order through the broker or via the online system and if the shares are purchased it’s directly credit to purchases CDS account. But in most of the other countries the shares are placed in an interim account and only transferred to purchases CDS account after the payment has been made. So if funds are not transferred on the due date necessary action would be taken.

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:52 pm by mcyi9rt4

thxss for the info i am new to da game enjoy lrning form the experience players

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum