FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Latest Financial Status and Future Outlook of SMB Finance PLC
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 11:15 pm

» Latest Financial Status and Future Outlook of Overseas Realty PLC
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 11:00 pm

» Latest Financial Status and Future Outlook of Merchant Bank of Sri Lanka & Finance PLC
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» McDonald’s අපේ නෙමෙයි අපේ බෝස්ගේ – අබාන්ස් කියයි
by ChooBoy Yesterday at 10:19 am

» AI Assistance for Stock Market Research and Analysis
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 7:12 am

» Comparative Analysis of the Insurance Sector
by God Father Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:46 pm

» Sri Lanka: Why Pay Exorbitant Taxes?
by ChatGPT Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:52 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by K.R Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:15 pm

» CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC (CIND.N0000)
by D.G.Dayaratne Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:11 am

» SIYAPATHA FINANACE PLC (SLFL.N0000)
by ChatGPT Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:58 am

» FINANCE AND LEASING SECTOR
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:45 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:36 am

» CIC HOLDINGS PLC (CIC.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:18 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:15 am

» First Capital Holdings PLC: Current Financial performance and future outlook
by God Father Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:58 pm

» LankaBizz: Sri Lanka's First ever Artificially Intelligent (AI) Business and Research Assistant
by God Father Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:27 am

» HOTEL AND TRAVEL SECTOR
by ErangaDS Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:22 am

» CIC Holdings Good Times Ahead
by ashan silva Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 am

» EPF Fund keep eye on low P/E Shares
by K.R Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:45 am

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Hawk Eye Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:37 am

» Ceylon cold stores
by Hawk Eye Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:25 am

» Asha securities Provide buy signal for CIC
by ddrperera Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:10 am

» CSE ready for another Downtrend?
by D.G.Dayaratne Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:24 am

» LankaLAW Forum : Sri Lanka’s #1 Discussion Platform for Legal Questions and Answers
by blindhog Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:14 am

» Sri Lanka poised to benefit from demand surge for ‘non-China origin’ graphite
by samaritan Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:31 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Short Selling

+7
Slstock
Kumar
Kosinna
kav4
Roboticfx
rijayasooriya
Srimal
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Short Selling Empty Short Selling Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:32 pm

Srimal

Stock Trader

Is there a Short Selling in Our Stock Market. If Any,How can I Get Stocks for the Short Selling. Do Our Stock Brokers Holding stocks for Short Selling ?

2Short Selling Empty Re: Short Selling Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:33 pm

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

No

3Short Selling Empty Re: Short Selling Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:42 pm

Roboticfx

Roboticfx

I think you have given wrong information by somebody. No, There is not any called short selling. Actually I can't understand what have you meant by this.

There are short term investments, mid term and long term as well day trading which means a trade limited to one day. I think you meant about this. If not please produce it clearly. I will help you. I also have many bitter experiences when I entered to the stock market for the first time in my life. So, don't worry friend.

Very Happy

4Short Selling Empty Re: Short Selling Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:45 pm

kav4

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Short selling is still not available in Sri Lanka.

I personally think it should be introduce soon as then we can earn profit in both Bull & Bear markets

5Short Selling Empty Re: Short Selling Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:48 pm

Roboticfx

Roboticfx

kav4 wrote:Short selling is still not available in Sri Lanka.

I personally think it should be introduce soon as then we can earn profit in both Bull & Bear markets

Oh kav4, I don't know about this. Please could you explain it for the use of me and other members who don't know about this?

6Short Selling Empty Re: Short Selling Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:51 pm

kav4

Please refer

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/shortselling.asp#axzz1k0oeO2xJ

7Short Selling Empty Re: Short Selling Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:51 pm

Roboticfx

Roboticfx

Thanks dev4!

8Short Selling Empty Re: Short Selling Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:13 pm

Srimal

Stock Trader

kav4 wrote:Short selling is still not available in Sri Lanka.

Thanks Buddy...Please tell me. Is short selling be harmful our stock market. I think thats very interesting neda....

9Short Selling Empty Re: Short Selling Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:34 pm

kav4

I don't think it's doing any harm.

But current CSE system do not support short selling.

10Short Selling Empty Re: Short Selling Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:16 am

Kosinna

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

http://www.investopedia.com/university/shortselling/shortselling1.asp#axzz1k1tPl1Z8

one more link.

11Short Selling Empty Re: Short Selling Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:31 am

Kumar

Kumar

There are pros and cons in short selling.
Please read following two links to gather more info.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-2025266/Q-A-What-short-selling-countries-banning-it.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/2786777/What-is-short-selling.html

Short selling will lead to stock scams also.
Read the following two links from this forum to gather more info.

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t14250-pump-and-dump-stock-fraud#92021

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t14251-short-and-distort-naked-short?highlight=short+++%2Bnaked

12Short Selling Empty Re: Short Selling Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:54 am

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics

Though short selling is legally allowed (last time I checked upon a discussion on this.To be confirmed) in any case it is not carried out @ cse.

though short selling can be a good remedy to make profit in a falling market the main issue as I read was that cse overall is too smal to carry it out effectively. But if we can implement it within some framework it will be good

Below info is from Investorguide staff

"Short selling (or "selling short") is a technique used by people who try to profit from the falling price of a stock. Short selling is a very risky technique as it involves precise timing and goes contrary to the overall direction of the market.

Here's how short selling works. Assume you want to sell short 100 shares of a company because you believe sales are slowing and its earnings will drop. Your broker will borrow the shares from someone who owns them with the promise that you will return them later. You immediately sell the borrowed shares at the current market price. When the price of the shares drops (you hope), you "cover your short position" by buying back the shares, and your broker returns them to the lender. Your profit is the difference between the price at which you sold the stock and your cost to buy it back, minus commissions and expenses for borrowing the stock. But if you're wrong, and the price of the shares increase, your potential losses are unlimited. The company's shares may go up and up, but at some point you have to replace the 100 shares you sold. In that case, your losses can mount without limit until you cover your short position."

13Short Selling Empty Re: Short Selling Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:20 pm

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya

slstock wrote:Your broker will borrow the shares from someone who owns them with the promise that you will return them later. You immediately sell the borrowed shares at the current market price. When the price of the shares drops (you hope), you "cover your short position" by buying back the shares, and your broker returns them to the lender. Your profit is the difference between the price at which you sold the stock and your cost to buy it back, minus commissions and expenses for borrowing the stock.
If my plan becomes success then the lender will be loss,
If my plan becomes unsuccess then the lender will be win.
Do we need to keep some amount of money as a warranty(To be able to buy back and cover the short position if my plan fails.) ?

14Short Selling Empty Re: Short Selling Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:18 pm

Trillionaire

Trillionaire
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

Hmm...I never knew about short selling!
Now I know! Smile
Thank you everyone!

15Short Selling Empty Re: Short Selling Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:11 pm

Roboticfx

Roboticfx

This is available in forex trading ne?

16Short Selling Empty Re: Short Selling Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:14 pm

CSE.SAS

CSE.SAS
Global Moderator

Thanks Kumar for the valuable link and other members for the infos.
This is much famous in Forex trading also.

17Short Selling Empty Re: Short Selling Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:03 am

Genting

During recent market fall, EU banned short selling on banking stocks to prevent market falling further.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14500731

So, if, short selling is here at CSE, where do you think the market end up now? 7000+?

18Short Selling Empty Short Selling Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:37 am

DOCSAGENCY

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

Will shortselling be introduced to cse in near future?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum