FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by God Father Yesterday at 5:37 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Yesterday at 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Share valuation is Useless! Here is why.

+10
UKboy
K.Haputantri
Redbulls
Leon
Kithsiri
Slstock
Backstage
smallville
zenobia
hunter
14 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Share valuation is Useless! Here is why. Empty Share valuation is Useless! Here is why. Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:41 am

hunter

hunter

Finally, I convinced myself of one thing. None of the factors in the share market is fixed; all are probabilistic.

Many advanced long term Investors/traders talk about probabilities in the market. But I am yet to see someone associate probability with the value of a share.

Usually, we see a fixed value is assigned to a share as the 'valuation'. Different methods may give different values but ultimately, everything boils down to a statement like 'the value of share-X is Rs Y/-'.

So we expect, if the market price of share-X is below Y, and if we buy, the share price will go up and give us profit. BUT most of the time it happens the other way around. Why?
And again, if Y was below the market price which indicate a future price drop, yet the price may go up and up. Why?

So what is wrong (with valuation)?
Is there any better valuation tool to address these?

Above questions haunted me for some time. But no more.
Because, by quite accidentally, I came across a tool which helped to change my perspective about the 'value of a share'.

Before me introducing the tool, think about the following scenario.

Suppose there is a share, fairly valued (not under or over); market price is Rs 20/-. It's a very steady priced share; will never ever come below Rs 20/- (say someone is buying any quantity at 20/- or something like that). Would you buy that share? Probably yes.
Well, here is the other part of the story. The share price is so stable that it will never ever go above 20/- either, and there will not be any dividend payouts either. Do you think this is a good investment?

On the other hand, suppose there's another share; market price is 20/-. But the price will heavily fluctuate between Rs10 and Rs 40/- but never beyond those limits. Do you think you can make some profits out of this share?

A traditional valuation method may value both above shares equally. But the 'share characteristics' are at two extreme ends.

Can we come up with some technique to see the difference in those two shares?

Well, I think I have an answer.
I would call it a tool to find 'share characteristic valuation'

Would you be interested to know more about it?
Pls let me know.

zenobia

Manager - Equity Analytics

I would like to know more...please

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

Yeah.. pls proceed Hunter..

Backstage

Backstage

Most certainly. Thank you in advance.

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics

Yes and yes, Please do.

Kithsiri

Kithsiri
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Go ahead please. Very Happy 

Leon

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Me too in the line. Please do it for us man....

Redbulls

Redbulls

Good to hear from you another tool. Awaiting.
Different type of valuation and which each method is most appropriate refer the following link.
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t17785-stock-valuation-methods?highlight=valuation

K.Haputantri

K.Haputantri
Co-Admin

Its always good to explore new tools.

UKboy

UKboy

Yes pls hunter...

Ur 1st scenario reminds me KHL a bit.

hunter

hunter

This post is loosely an extension of my earlier post.
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t31015-share-valuation-is-useless-here-is-why

They say 'market is always right'.
That means if we are contradicting ourselves with the market, we will be wrong. If we are aligned with the market, we will be right.
It sounds like a great idea to be aligned with the market so we are right always. But can we do that? If yes, how?
Before that;
What is 'market'?

I envision the market as a collection of traders like you and me (I consider investors as a subset of traders, so there are only short term traders and long term traders).
Then what makes the market move?
Different perceptions.

Let me take a simple example.

There is a market with 20 traders; they are very active; there are only 20.
Suppose there is a share; share-A.
First-trader thinks share-A worths Rs 50 in the long run; so, would buy at a price below 50 and sell at a price above 50.
Fair enough?
Now the second trader also thinks the same (Rs 50 is the fair value). All 20 traders think the same!

What do you think will happen to the share price in the market?
It would hardly ever move away from Rs 50. Agreed?
Imagine you be one of those 20 traders; Is share-A a good one to trade?

Now, there is another share, share-B.
The first trader thinks it worth Rs 20; the second thinks Rs 25 and so on. The last trader thinks it worths Rs 100.
Each trader has a different view on the value of share-B.
What would happen in the market?
Would share-B a good one to trade?

It is always good to have our own sense of a share value; but to have a sense about what others think as well is much better in trading.

There could be large number of methods to determine the value of a share. There could be (What I call) "Absolute" methods (DCF, Intrinsic value) and "Market/Industry adjusted" or "Relative" (x times of EPS, x % of NAV) methods.

I believe, there is a big synergy, if the value suggested by a "Absolute" method is confirmed by the market behavior.

Earlier, I said, the market is a collection of traders. Each traders action will make the market move.
Can we work out a tool to determine what each and every trader would do in the market?
Sounds like a big task; but if we can do it....

Quite accidentally, I stumbled upon a simple method that capable of showing multiple "absolute' values to portrait different market perspectives about a share value.
Furthermore, I call it a very flexible, adjustable, modifiable and expandable tool.

I will give calculating details and the concept behind the it later.

First, like to describe how I interpret the outcome.
I will show below 20 values given by the tool for some selected shares. As input, I have used recent published business data only. (Optionally, we can use any estimated data if we wish)

We can consider the 20 values as the perspectives of 20 different traders. So, as in the example we took earlier, Those perspectives can drive the market.

Now, here are few selected examples; the values highlighted in green are supposed to be considerably higher than the market value; which suggest a "Under valued" condition. The Red shows exactly the opposite.

Please note that these results are given based on the INPUT values I have fed. There could be more accurate inputs worked out always.

Here are the results for GLAS, TWOD,TESS.

GLAS: - Suggests a very stable price. But with very little movement. May not be the ideal for trading
TWOD:- Suggests huge, bizarre deviations possible.
TESS:-  Suggests possible market movements but looks a bit overvalued

Share valuation is Useless! Here is why. 2013_o10

-------------------------------------

Here are three more "trade-able" shares. Two to pick up and one to avoid (That's what the tool suggest).

Share valuation is Useless! Here is why. 2013_o11

-------------------------------------

I like to know your views:
Do these results make any sense?
Would you like to know the calculation details?

hunter

hunter

Thanks all for all the interests shown.

I made the first cut available in a new post.

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t31029-share-characteristic-valuation-interpretation-of-the-tool

Hope I have presented my points clear enough.

Kumar

Kumar

Thanks, waiting for the calculation details.

K.Haputantri

K.Haputantri
Co-Admin

Thank you its a Good attempt.

nihal123

nihal123

Would you like to know the calculation details?
yes

Thank
bounce

hunter

hunter

Here are the calculation details:
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t31038-share-characteristic-valuation-calculation-details

Enjoy reading Wink

Sstar

Sstar
Vice President - Equity Analytics

Very interesting articles to read.

SHARK aka TAH

SHARK aka TAH
Expert
Expert

Sstar wrote:Very interesting articles to read.
I dont know how I missed this article from hunter I suppose.i would fairly and squarely reject it.the article mentioned above discusses about 2 types of shares.in share market how can one guarantee a share. A value you pay per share is perceived by its earning.all this valuations methods are meant for investors to understand that the price they pay is a reasonable or a premium.this facilitates a trigger point to buy or wait till it comes down.we can discuss this further.

SHARK aka TAH

SHARK aka TAH
Expert
Expert

No value investor says its 100% guarantee. That share prices will come below.but if you have bought at the correct value you need not worry and have 2nd thoughts.we all need valuation methods.same like you do a valuation for vehicle.if its useless then what do you do ?

SHARK aka TAH

SHARK aka TAH
Expert
Expert

In short father of value investing benjamin graham and warren buffet are useless  Very Happy were they just wasting their time

SHARK aka TAH

SHARK aka TAH
Expert
Expert

I think more than having different valuations as suggested by Hunter, although th ecaption of the Thread is somewhat misleading to start with.In fact what hunter has done is to use multiple values per share to creat volatility in the Market.Its ok but when you have different values then people tend to confuse alot whether i sell or hold etc.
The main focus should be on what shares to bUY when the valuation method prompts you a particular share.
It is my opinion when you stick to certain method and its working you need not worry much.all you can do is to review their AR work out the valuations as per latest data and adjust your PF if necessary without compromising longterm growth aspects of the company you invested.

small impediments/issues should not sway you from bigger goals.

Sstar

Sstar

SHARK wrote:In short father of value investing benjamin graham and warren buffet are useless  Very Happy were they just wasting their time
Well Said

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum