FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by ChooBoy Yesterday at 5:29 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Yesterday at 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

How would I invest my money?

+17
Rocky
chamarahs
chamith
topgear
Tiger
Chabbi
Gaja
tkc
Fresher
Intrinsic
jake
maalinda
Dreamer
godswen
swan03
milanka
Quibit
21 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1How would I invest my money?  Empty How would I invest my money? Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:23 am

Quibit

Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

This has been a frequently asked question in this forum. Hence I thought it best that I put down something for other members to contribute. Firstly Lets assume that you are given onetime donation of Rs 10mn by your Rich Uncle. How would you invest and get a good return whilst preserving the capital and enjoying the use of money.

This is my strategy

A) Invest Rs 2mn Government TBills rate 6% p.a
B) Invest Rs 5mn in a 1 year fixed deposit in licenced commercial bank. NDB or Commercial Bank. Rate 9% p.a
C) Invest Rs 2mn in registered finance company. Rate 13% p.a
D) Invest Rs 1 mn in the stock market.
E) I will ask my bank to grant me a permanent overdraft facility for Rs 4mn by retaining my deposit of Rs 5mn as a security. Interest rate of the loan is usually 2% more than the fixed deposit rate ie. 11%
F) With this arrangement I will have Rs 5mn to be invested in the stock market.
G) I will pick two type of stocks, trading stock and medium term stocks. It will be based on 80:20 basis with more exposure to good stocks. If necessary I will go for a 50% margin trading facility and increase my portfolio unto Rs 10mn.
H) I will ask my finance company to grant me a leasing facility and retain my 2mn deposit as a security. I will go and buy a car that is petrol, fuel efficient and which has a second hand value. This will be for my personal use. I would even consider hiring whenever someone offers me a good rate.
I) I will go to a government bank and get a property loans. Interest rate are very low therefore I will take a 10 year loan. Anything more than 10 year is not financially attractive. Loan would be for Rs 10mn. They would finance only 80% and woul ask me to secure the balance 20%. I will offer my treasury bills as a security. Now I have a Rs 10mn
J) I will go and buy a house in Colombo suburbs a two story small house for Rs 10mn. You could have a look at the Hit Ad property section, plenty available.
K) I will get occupy the 1st floor of the house and rent the ground floor of the house. I would rent this to foreigners who are coming for holidays. Since there is a acute shortage of Colombo hotel rooms, I would be able to fletch a good rate and repay part of my housing loan from the money I am receiving from the rent. I will target to rent the ground floor for Rs 50,000 per month. This will give me Rs 600,000 per annum and it will be equal to almost 8% return on my investment. Cost of my loan is only 10% p.a therefore my incremental cost would be very little.
L) Now I am settled in life... I've got a car, I've got a house, I've got investments.. Now I need to find a Rich Boy friend!!!!

Summary - Assets & liabilities
Car - Rs 2mn
House - Rs 10mn
Stock portfolio - Rs 10mn
Treasury Bills - 2mn
Fixed Deposits - 5mn
Deposits with Finance Company - 2mn
Total liabilities -19mn

This is my personal strategy. This is only a hypothetical scenario.

Last edited by Quibit on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:21 am; edited 3 times in total

2How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:49 am

milanka

milanka
Vice President - Equity Analytics

I like the way its ended . I mean (L) last part of the sentence. Happy Ending. +

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/u188

3How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:53 am

swan03

All good. But rich boy friend never would love you. Sure he'd love your wealth. So try to find a loving & caring one. Defiantly he will make your life as like heaven. This is my personal idea. And wish you good luck sister!

4How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:59 am

godswen

godswen
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Quibit wrote:
L) Now I am settled in life... I've got a. I've got a house, I've got investment.. Now I need to find a Rich Boy friend!!!!

Looking for a boyfriend eh? I love you

Twisted Evil

Nice post by the way!

5How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:06 am

swan03

L) Now I am settled in life... I've got a. I've got a house, I've got investment.. Now I need to find a Rich Boy friend!!!!

And Im sure, you will have more applications from now on Very Happy. Good luck again!

6How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:34 am

Dreamer

Stock Trader

Man!!When did this forum become a MATRIMORNIAL forum?? tongue

7How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:15 am

maalinda

Manager - Equity Analytics

first i need to find a rich uncle who is willing to offer me 10MN Very Happy

8How would I invest my money?  Empty FYI Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:18 am

jake

jake
Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

For those who are interested
I'm kinda rich
Cool

9How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:18 am

Intrinsic

Quibit wrote:This has been a frequently asked question in this forum. Hence I thought it best that I put down something for other members to contribute. Firstly Lets assume that you are given onetime donation of Rs 10mn by your Rich Uncle. How would you invest and get a good return whilst preserving the capital and enjoying the use of money.

This is my strategy

A) Invest Rs 2mn Government TBills rate 6% p.a
B) Invest Rs 5mn in a 1 year fixed deposit in licenced commercial bank. NDB or Commercial Bank. Rate 9% p.a
C) Invest Rs 2mn in registered finance company. Rate 13% p.a
D) Invest Rs 1 mn in the stock market.
E) I will ask my bank to grant me a permanent overdraft facility for Rs 4mn by retaining my deposit of Rs 5mn as a security. Interest rate of the loan is usually 2% more than the fixed deposit rate ie. 11%
F) With this arrangement I will have Rs 5mn to be invested in the stock market.
G) I will pick two type of stocks, trading stock and medium term stocks. It will be based on 80:20 basis with more exposure to good stocks. If necessary I will go for a 50% margin trading facility and increase my portfolio unto Rs 10mn.
H) I will ask my finance company to grant me a leasing facility and retain my 2mn deposit as a security. I will go and buy a car that is petrol, fuel efficient and which has a second hand value. This will be for my personal use. I would even consider hiring whenever someone offers me a good rate.
I) I will go to a government bank and get a property loans. Interest rate are very low therefore I will take a 10 year loan. Anything more than 10 year is not financially attractive. Loan would be for Rs 10mn. They would finance only 80% and woul ask me to secure the balance 20%. I will offer my treasury bills as a security. Now I have a Rs 8mn.
J) I will go and buy a house in Colombo suburbs a two story small house for Rs 8 mn. You could have a look at the Hit Ad property section, plenty available.
K) I will get occupy the 1st floor of the house and rent the ground floor of the house. I would rent this to foreigners who are coming for holidays. Since there is a acute shortage of Colombo hotel rooms, I would be able to fletch a good rate and repay part of my housing loan from the money I am receiving from the rent. I will target to rent the ground floor for Rs 50,000 per month. This will give me Rs 600,000 per annum and it will be equal to almost 8% return on my investment. Cost of my loan is only 10% p.a therefore my incremental cost would be very little.
L) Now I am settled in life... I've got a car, I've got a house, I've got investments.. Now I need to find a Rich Boy friend!!!!

Summary - Assets & liabilities
Car - Rs 2mn
House - Rs 8 mn
Stock portfolio - Rs 10mn
Treasury Bills - 2mn
Fixed Deposits - 5mn
Deposits with Finance Company - 2mn
Total liabilities -19mn

This is my personal strategy. This is only a hypothetical scenario.

Dear Quibit,

Is this your strategy ?

(Correct me, if I am wrong pl.)

Attachments
How would I invest my money?  AttachmentQuibit's Strategy.xlsx
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(12 Kb) Downloaded 33 times

10How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:21 am

Fresher

Just don't get caught to a guy who wants everything ready made just like you!

swan03 is right. he might only love your wealth! just like some girls try on me Very Happy

11How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:39 am

Quibit

Intrinsic wrote:
Dear Quibit,
Is this your strategy ?
[/quote]

Thanks for the calculation
Car loan should be only for Rs 2mn and since i am pledging my deposit the interest rate should be only 2% more than the deposit rate. You could say maximum 15% p.a. Margin trading is currently offered by MBSL at 16% p.a.

Housing loan is for Rs 10mn. I amended my original post. Also I should be able to hire my car and get a decent monthly rental. Each airport pickup or a drop is Rs 2,500. This I could do during free time whilst using the car for my personal activities.

Also rich boy friend will look after my other expenses!!!!

12How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:48 am

Fresher

Quibit wrote:
Intrinsic wrote:
Dear Quibit,
Is this your strategy ?

Thanks for the calculation
Car loan should be only for Rs 2mn and since i am pledging my deposit the interest rate should be only 2% more than the deposit rate. You could say maximum 15% p.a. Margin trading is currently offered by MBSL at 16% p.a.

Housing loan is for Rs 10mn. I amended my original post. Also I should be able to hire my car and get a decent monthly rental. Each airport pickup or a drop is Rs 2,500. This I could do during free time whilst using the car for my personal activities.

Also rich boy friend will look after my other expenses!!!!
[/quote]

dream on!
are you gonna do the hire yourself or have a driver and pay him?
if you are gonna do it yourself, then you'll be the first (i think) cab driver!
and do you think your rich boyfriend will wait for you till you finish your hire?

13How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:53 am

tkc

tkc
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

I am looking for a beautiful girl..... Wink
Sorry HPWR ! Sad Sad

14How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:54 am

Gaja

Associate Director - Equity Analytics

Quibit, can you lend your uncle to me who is willing to donate 10 Mn

15How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:02 am

Chabbi

Chabbi

Dreamer wrote:Man!!When did this forum become a MATRIMORNIAL forum?? tongue

Exact what i thought ...... LOlzz..... Any one willing to accept my application...............................Bt Sorry for tht grl Sad

But
K) I will get occupy the 1st floor of the house and rent the ground floor of the house. I would rent this to foreigners who are coming for holidays. Since there is a acute shortage of Colombo hotel rooms, I would be able to fletch a good rate and repay part of my housing loan from the money I am receiving from the rent. I will target to rent the ground floor for Rs 50,000 per month. This will give me Rs 600,000 per annum and it will be equal to almost 8% return on my investment. Cost of my loan is only 10% p.a therefore my incremental cost would be very little.>

I would highlight this part ... I dnt knw how u calculate 8mn house in colombo and Rs. 50,000 rent income... as i knw in colombo if you want rent house for 50,000 per month. it should be above minimum 12mn... even-tough it is very hard to find... further more your trying to occupy with foreign family ......... This makes me LOLZZZ.... with my knwledge its very hard target buddy ....

But ur entire life is rotate with Interest... which i dnt like.... but any way different approach .....

Cheerz

16How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:27 am

milanka

milanka

Gaja wrote:Quibit, can you lend your uncle to me who is willing to donate 10 Mn

Hope Aunty would agree to lend the uncle as Gaja pointed out since the full authority is with her on uncle's matters.

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/u188

17How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:32 am

Quibit

Hey Gaja,

I am sure you would have looked at the tax benefit of my strategy. I would be able to get a tax direction from the Inland Revenue exempting me from income tax coz I can set off my interest income against loan interest. Capital gains on shares are tax free and if I sell my house it will be tax free coz it's my first real estate transcation. My house rental income and car rental income is undeclared!!

Btw
I will be renting my car only to the foreigners who would be coming to stay at ground floor of my house. I might event go to airport and pick them up and also derop them when they leave. Also my house will have two seperate entrance. So I could continue to moderate the forum without getting disturbed.

Last edited by Quibit on Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

18How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:33 am

Tiger

Tiger

Hi Quibit, I will send my application to you soon for an interview. Embarassed

19How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:20 am

Gaja

Quibit wrote:

Hey Gaja,

I am sure you would have looked at the tax benefit of my strategy. I would be able to get a tax direction from the Inland Revenue exempting me from income tax coz I can set off my interest income against loan interest. Capital gains on shares are tax free and if I sell my house it will be tax free coz it's my first real estate transcation. My house rental income and car rental income is undeclared!!

Btw
I will be renting my car only to the foreigners who would be coming to stay at ground floor of my house. I might event go to airport and pick them up and also derop them when they leave. Also my house will have two seperate entrance. So I could continue to moderate the forum without getting disturbed.

No better you tell your financial institutions to deduct 8%, W.H.T on Interest Income, then most of the incomes are exempted or subject to tax on INCOME TAX FILE, NO DIRECTION AND NO REFUNDS from I.R.D from 01.04.2011, since you are going to keep the rental income undeclared, also not whether its 1st real estate transaction or not its exempted from income tax since its capital gain ( but if you do it regularly it will take the nature or revenue transaction then will bring all kind of taxes )

Also note that since Gift Taxes abolished in Sri Lanka, with out fear you can gift your uncle to me

Better you form this as a company and list it after sometimes you can list in the CSE, and don't forget to type a note in the previous day night of open for subscription and send it in the morning. - i think by this you can get huge tax free profit, since disposal of private equities held for more than 2 years also exempted from IT

20How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:37 am

topgear

Stock Analytic
Stock Analytic

I seriously learned alot on taxation here! Smile
Just can't seem to find that uncle, you know... What a Face

21How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:27 pm

swan03

milanka wrote:

Hope Aunty would agree to lend the uncle as Gaja pointed out since the full authority is with her on uncle's matters.

LOL!

22How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:04 pm

chamith

chamith

I would say you should go with the trend.

Take your 10mn + Your potential rich boyfriend's money + Your richest friend's money and put everything into one CDS A/C. And the get a margin facility for that. So you should have about 60 to 70 million buying power now.

Now take a forgotten share and slowly slowly collect it for 1 week. Dont let the price to go up when you buy. Just dump your stake if price try to be funny. Now since you have collected the particular share enough, Wait for a green day and buy the whole order book with a 50% up buy order.
Hold it on for few days. And then you know what to do. Dump your stake into poor retailers.

Now you must have made more than enough money to even dump your rich boyfriend.

23How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:20 pm

chamarahs

Very Happy

24How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:18 am

Rocky

Rocky

chamith wrote:I would say you should go with the trend.

Take your 10mn + Your potential rich boyfriend's money + Your richest friend's money and put everything into one CDS A/C. And the get a margin facility for that. So you should have about 60 to 70 million buying power now.

Now take a forgotten share and slowly slowly collect it for 1 week. Dont let the price to go up when you buy. Just dump your stake if price try to be funny. Now since you have collected the particular share enough, Wait for a green day and buy the whole order book with a 50% up buy order.
Hold it on for few days. And then you know what to do. Dump your stake into poor retailers.

I think you have forgotten something else.
You have to get two brokers to spread the news and misinform the new investors and more gullible fellows!

25How would I invest my money?  Empty Re: How would I invest my money? Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:26 am

Gaja

hybrid_OS wrote:
chamith wrote:I would say you should go with the trend.

I think you have forgotten something else.
You have to get two brokers to spread the news and misinform the new investors and more gullible fellows!

hybrid, one you told the broker that you have 100 million, no need to worry they them-self will tell retailers that there is a big investor with billions come to the market, and you know what will follow

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum