FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by samaritan Today at 2:01 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Today at 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by bkasun Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:48 pm

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stock market Woes : what to do

+21
duke
laksharemk
swan03
wiki
Soundchips
Milindaperera
RDS
Navigator
ipoguru
invest-abc
ShareShares
thanujav
NEM
cse_investor
insidertrader
hunter
amibroker
econ
ssb
SL.Market
Slstock
25 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Stock market Woes : what to do Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:31 pm

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics

Hello everybody.

I am sure many of you are in the dumps with heavy losses and wondering what to do. I too have heavy unrealized losses sadly mostly on fundamentals.

Some of us were watching for 7000 ASI resistance which was easily broken again. What is the next level. Watch around ASi 6870 and then 6800.

Most people would have probably noticed that your losses are growing exponentially since 2-3 days. RSI is at a 2 year low. ASI at lowest since January! Market is heavily oversold now. . here are no macro reasons for this to happen, as CSE is as a whole is not overvalued like in september. There are plenty of good shares left ( ofcourse there is crap which killed the market too) which are also going down continously due to reasons which have been already discussed in the forum.

Importantly what to do now?

1) First remember that share market is like life. There are ups and downs. It won't go up continously. When the bear hits he can rule for awhile as we see. This is a bad down. If you are an investor with fundamentally sound shares this is the time to exercise patience and wait this crisis out. Remember we should be investing not gambling. Investment take time to realize. Do not Panic

2) As we are already in a hole stop digging further especially if you are on credit. There are many shares at more than bargains which can be tempting. But if we buy today , it appears that tommorow it will be cheaper and we make further losses. So stop digging to identify how far this goes. Fundamental and technicals are not always working in market like now. If you must buy
a) buy in smaller quantities with your own money ( not on credit)
b) preferably identified fundamentally sound shares which has dropped a lot already or at their all time lows. Observe that some share are still resistant to big drops

3) If you must trade, trade only if you have experience. There are opportunities but only for the experienced. Newcomers becareful as day trading might burn your further. In markets like this it is best you do not take speculative home at the end of the day.

4) Try to identify your weak shares in your portfolio. At some point market is going to turn . At that time you have the option to dispose them with a smaller loss. Have the money ready to invest in good shares. We learn our lesson through experience. Try not make same mistake again. CSE is another facet of our life.

Though I try share my thoughts in a positive manner at this time be aware of the market we are in right now as above. We went through worser times during the war period. For example, I saw my DFCC drop to Rs 50 bought at Rs 140. It gave me nearly a heart attack. But I did not panic and held. Then it went to over RS 400 last year and I was a victor.

Hope sooner than later market might take a turn atleast for a short while. There will be green patches even in bear markets. Be ready for that and you will know what to do then.

Also SEC and Goverment is surely aware of this bad situation and hopefully they will not also let our market go below a certain level ( I do not know what though).

Let us be strong. Let us act wisely now. Let us not contribute further to this downfall. We will all get through this hopefully smarter?

Good luck.

2Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:36 pm

SL.Market

SL.Market
Vice President - Equity Analytics

As past slstock with a great work

3Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:42 pm

ssb

ssb
Manager - Equity Analytics

hope can be far away but thank s for giving some kind words and hope for better future ,
thanks brother Smile

4Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:47 pm

econ

econ
Global Moderator

Agreed with slstock .. I also think government will do some thing because they want to show market performs wonderfully well after finishing war and economy is booming..

Last edited by econ on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

5Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:48 pm

amibroker

Very Happy Very Happy

6Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

hunter

hunter

Government will do something?!!?
So, will there be an announcement saying credit facility will be extended until end of next year??

PS: Above supposed to be just a joke. Let's have a little humor to fade away the stresses these days.

Thanks Slstock for the wonderful article. +rep

7Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:36 pm

insidertrader

econ wrote:Agreed with slstock .. I also think government will do some thing because they want to show market performs wonderfully well after finishing war and economy is booming..

What do you think the government should do? Open the private pension fund and ask them to buy these fundamental blah blah over valued shares?

8Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:51 pm

econ

econ
Global Moderator

insidertrader wrote:
econ wrote:Agreed with slstock .. I also think government will do some thing because they want to show market performs wonderfully well after finishing war and economy is booming..

What do you think the government should do? Open the private pension fund and ask them to buy these fundamental blah blah over valued shares?

I think they may change the credit rules but this is only my opinion.

9Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:32 pm

cse_investor

cse_investor

Well said slstock, well said.

10Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:52 pm

NEM

NEM
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

A very good article. i also think that the Patience is the key if you have bought fundamentally strong shares. Specially these days retailers should not go after rallies that will hurt you and the market. Manipulators will be happy

11Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:06 pm

thanujav

thanujav
Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

NEM wrote:A very good article. i also think that the Patience is the key if you have bought fundamentally strong shares. Specially these days retailers should not go after rallies that will hurt you and the market. Manipulators will be happy

Today i wanted to shut down the computer for long period because i dont want to see my PF it gives me a big headache, but after reading this article it gave me some ++ mind.. thank you .

12Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:20 pm

ShareShares

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

NEM wrote:A very good article. i also think that the Patience is the key if you have bought fundamentally strong shares. Specially these days retailers should not go after rallies that will hurt you and the market. Manipulators will be happy

I also stick to fundamentals, wait and see for few more days, hope all these things come to an end soon. I don’t try to sell and buy other stocks that can unnecessarily add selling pressure to my own shares. Having waited for so long why not wait for few more days.

13Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:08 pm

invest-abc

well said slstock, I think this rough period want bother the long term investors much. But people who make a living out of day trading will be very badly hit. At CSE we dont have the option to short sell, so day by day it's getting nearly impossible to day trade successfully. Also, the drop in volume is not helping the cause.

14Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:24 pm

ShareShares

This hurts long term investors badly when the current value is much lees than the initial investment value, that is the main reason to say that this is not the ideal time to exit. There is no other alternative other than to wait and see.

15Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:32 pm

ShareShares

I think if they allow market to drop further recovery is much more difficult. It is time to put an end to depreciation. Then there is a chance of quick recovery.

16Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:35 pm

ipoguru

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

ShareShares wrote:This hurts long term investors badly when the current value is much lees than the initial investment value, that is the main reason to say that this is not the ideal time to exit. There is no other alternative other than to wait and see.

What if we all do not sell fundamentally strong shares at lower prices..... So no body can take the price further down... :lol!: I know market behaves like human mind... Its rarely we can see every body join together and try to get profit by uniting.. Everybody is trying to jump first and try to be a winner...

If you investigate (if already not done) your shares annual reports and past earnings for 10 years and future potentials you can understand whats it value and whats it value in future. Business does not going to get down because market is going down.. Hold on... Don't sell at a loss unless u see a better share trading at lower price...

17Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:51 pm

ShareShares

ipoguru wrote:
ShareShares wrote:This hurts long term investors badly when the current value is much lees than the initial investment value, that is the main reason to say that this is not the ideal time to exit. There is no other alternative other than to wait and see.

What if we all do not sell fundamentally strong shares at lower prices..... So no body can take the price further down... lol! I know market behaves like human mind... Its rarely we can see every body join together and try to get profit by uniting.. Everybody is trying to jump first and try to be a winner...

If you investigate (if already not done) your shares annual reports and past earnings for 10 years and future potentials you can understand whats it value and whats it value in future. Business does not going to get down because market is going down.. Hold on... Don't sell at a loss unless u see a better share trading at lower price...

Thanks for advice and sharing your experience. . I do not see better options, other than existing options, they are much worse than the existing shares. If I change I may experience much worse losses as they are very unpredictable and there is no real basis for the rapid increase in prices recently.

18Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Navigator

Navigator
Stock Analytic
Stock Analytic

Great work brother..... You wiped my tears....... Sad

19Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:52 pm

RDS

RDS

Thanks "slstock" for encouraging our members.
I feel there should be some recovery before 30th June.
Coz Q2 reports will based on current market situation,
So some big institutional investors will move up their own shares.

But problem lot of investors don't have cash in balance to buy any shares due to recent big IPOs.

20Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:14 am

ShareShares

I think IPO fever is also over , next they get lot of funds as refunds.

21Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:00 am

Milindaperera

Milindaperera
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Really interesting and motivational thread slstock. +rep from me.

22Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:03 am

Soundchips

I stick to technically sound stocks… with a new surveillance system in place there less room for misuse in future. .. real investments may then come back to the stock market.

23Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:33 am

Soundchips

ipoguru wrote:

What if we all do not sell fundamentally strong shares at lower prices..... So no body can take the price further down... lol! I know market behaves like human mind... Its rarely we can see every body join together and try to get profit by uniting.. Everybody is trying to jump first and try to be a winner...

So.. wait ?

24Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:41 am

wiki

Thanks for encouraging note.

25Stock market Woes : what to do Empty Re: Stock market Woes : what to do Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:22 am

swan03

Good post. Agree with you.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum