FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by ChooBoy Yesterday at 5:29 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Yesterday at 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

What is the truth behind these rumors?

+8
saber
fair investor
Investor99
Namalaka
Gainer
udul
windi5
nkalansu
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What is the truth behind these rumors? Empty What is the truth behind these rumors? Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:23 pm

nkalansu

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Can anybody tell us about the truth behind the rumors of SEC easing credit restrictions?
T+5? T+15?...etc...
Why these people are buying? I am sure these retailers are not doing it for cash....

windi5

windi5

Only god knows. Something going on,any way its good for poor investors who suffered due to bearish mkt prevailed last few weeks. Now everyone seems to be happy,nobody scold CSE.Very Happy Very Happy

3What is the truth behind these rumors? Empty T+ 5 rule appeal Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:39 am

udul

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

By Hiran H.Senewiratne

Stock brokers are now appealing to the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) to remove or review the T+5 Rule or five days deadline and the SEC has so far not given any response following repeated appeals from brokers and investors, stock market sources said.

"At present stock brokering firms have to go through difficult tasks due to forced –selling of more than 1000 client or a day because of the T + 5 Rule of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)," leading stock brokering firm said.

However, when the Island Financial Review attempted to get SEC’s view on the matter there were no authorised persons to comment on the topic, its sources said.

The SEC is considering the removal of the five days deadline or T+5 Rule in the future with the constant request from stockbrokers and other investors to the SEC, official attached to Lanka Securities Ltd sources told The Business Review .

On 29 December 2010 the SEC issued a directive which mandated r stock brokering companies to force-sell by the T+ 5 ( transactions plus five days) , securities of buyers, which are in default of settlement by the T+3 Rule.

Therefore, from 7 January 2011 each market day became a T +5 force- selling day, which put every stock brokering company and local investors through a difficult situation whether the market goes up or down, stock brokers said.

With this new rule individual investors are going be affected with this rule because if one passes the five days dead line his/her shares will come under forced sell. This really put individual investors who do business in the Colombo Stock Market under tremendous pressure

A large number of local individual investors have increased significantly, which accounted for 44 per cent of the total stock market turnover, while foreign institutional buyers account only for15 percent of the total market turnover

4What is the truth behind these rumors? Empty Re: What is the truth behind these rumors? Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:16 am

windi5

windi5

I dont think there will be any change to that T-5 limit. SEC, might extend the time to clear the remaining credits. Shocked

5What is the truth behind these rumors? Empty Re: What is the truth behind these rumors? Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:44 am

Gainer

Gainer
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

SEC if do not remove t+5 rule market will come down again.

6What is the truth behind these rumors? Empty Re: What is the truth behind these rumors? Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:57 am

Namalaka

Namalaka
Manager - Equity Analytics

We have to focus specially on later part of next week to identify the effect of this T+5 (if no changes to it).

7What is the truth behind these rumors? Empty Re: What is the truth behind these rumors? Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:00 pm

Investor99

I don’t think SEC will remove the T+5 rule. This rule (T+3 rule) has been in place for a long time. Only thing we can expect is a delay in the settlement that if SEC agrees to it then there will be an announcement with regards to this. If there are no changes to the rules, in my opinion we can see some forced selling by mid next week and the indices will drop further down.

8What is the truth behind these rumors? Empty Re: What is the truth behind these rumors? Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:51 pm

fair investor

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

windi5 wrote:I dont think there will be any change to that T-5 limit. SEC, might extend the time to clear the remaining credits. Shocked

Are there any significant amount of credits remaining?
Most of the investors transferred their credit to margin accounts. Only retailers with less than 5Mn portfolio couldn't transfer their credit to marginal accounts.
But do you believe that retailers didn't participate in the market during last one year ? I was 100% on cash at the mid of February. I personally believe that only little amount of credit left in the market
SEC must stop playing on credit and clearly state the current credit amount in the market ?

We need a transparency for the market.
Do you think all of us need to email SEC and ask how much credit left in the market ? I think we must.

saber

saber
Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

Investor99 wrote:I don’t think SEC will remove the T+5 rule. This rule (T+3 rule) has been in place for a long time. Only thing we can expect is a delay in the settlement that if SEC agrees to it then there will be an announcement with regards to this. If there are no changes to the rules, in my opinion we can see some forced selling by mid next week and the indices will drop further down.

Even SEC 'extended' the deadline market will still fall since everybody knows we're in trouble - better sooner than later then. pale

10What is the truth behind these rumors? Empty Re: What is the truth behind these rumors? Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:16 pm

gamaya

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

fair investor wrote:
windi5 wrote:I dont think there will be any change to that T-5 limit. SEC, might extend the time to clear the remaining credits. Shocked

Most of the investors transferred their credit to margin accounts. Only retailers with less than 5Mn portfolio couldn't transfer their credit to marginal accounts.
But do you believe that retailers didn't participate in the market during last one year ? I was 100% on cash at the mid of February. I personally believe that only little amount of credit left in the market
SEC must stop playing on credit and clearly state the current credit amount in the market ?

Do you think all of us need to email SEC and ask how much credit left in the market ? I think we must.

This is what I am also wondering, what I hear is some individuals in broker firms have bought 3-4 times credit for relatives accounts. I think these individuals have to be legally dealt with. Because the average investors suffer because of them.

11What is the truth behind these rumors? Empty Re: What is the truth behind these rumors? Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:00 pm

Aamiable

Vice President - Equity Analytics

gamaya wrote:
fair investor wrote:

This is what I am also wondering, what I hear is some individuals in broker firms have bought 3-4 times credit for relatives accounts. I think these individuals have to be legally dealt with. Because the average investors suffer because of them.

Do they expect any thing special, some form of positive developments that broker firms to have bought 3-4 times credit for relative’s accounts?.................... Exclamation Exclamation

12What is the truth behind these rumors? Empty Re: What is the truth behind these rumors? Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:09 pm

vegasbabay

vegasbabay
Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

Truth behind rumors? lol! they are called rumors for a reason i think. lol!

13What is the truth behind these rumors? Empty Re: What is the truth behind these rumors? Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:04 pm

gamaya

Aamiable,
What I meant is they buy these during rallies expecting gains. Sometimes they pull it off and gain hugely. But sometimes they get stuck. Otherwise how can there be so much credit after SEC has given so much time for clearance and so many people have converted to margin accounts?

14What is the truth behind these rumors? Empty Re: What is the truth behind these rumors? Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:10 pm

Aamiable

gamaya wrote:Aamiable,
What I meant is they buy these during rallies expecting gains. Sometimes they pull it off and gain hugely. But sometimes they get stuck. Otherwise how can there be so much credit after SEC has given so much time for clearance and so many people have converted to margin accounts?

True, I also think that CSE should not go back to an excessive credit situation again..... Real investments and foreign investments are reluctant to return when there are fears of credit clearance.....CSE grow only on investments Smile

15What is the truth behind these rumors? Empty Re: What is the truth behind these rumors? Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:51 pm

insidertrader

I'm sure brokers are appealing (or now it seems have spread rumours among the retail traders) to relax credit controls not because they're concerned about us. These brokers have been giving credit on top of credit on non existing money for some time before the SEC came forward to control that to protect the whole Sri Lankan economy from collapsing on non existent money. Now the brokers are in trouble for the crimes they have committed. Now they put the blame on the SEC. They have made us do the same like they setting dogs on something. We're the dogs.

Imagine this situation. When you apply for a loan for a house you put your land as a security. So if you cannot pay the loan back the bank will sell the land and recover the money. That's the end of it. If you lease a vehicle the bank keeps the ownership. If you cannot pay back they take the vehicle and auction it. That's the end of it. No domino effect.

But imagine you take several housing loans against the same land as a security. Then if you cannot pay more than one loan, everybody is in trouble because everybody is depending on the same security. This is exactly what happened in the credit crisis in 2008 in USA it was shown in the movie 'Inside Job'. There was no real money involved. Sometimes the same asset has been used as a security for 3, 4 times. So if one business collapses it drags everything down with it.

I'm sure a similar thing has happened in CSE. Brokers have been giving credit without any control to big traders only god knows how much. We cannot trust the brokers or their reports. There are no honest brokers same as honest politicians. What the SEC did was if giving credit then it was separated to specialized margin trading such as in banks so that when they give credit they closely control it. If the value of the security is not worth enough it was fixed then and there without waiting for the whole thing to crash. If somebody wants to work with credit SEC has given a organized method, that is margin trading through margin trading providers. Because credit should be closely monitored. I'll steal an example someone gave in another post. When you build a house you get a bank loan from the bank. You don't get the loan from the hardware store.

So I believe the reason the brokers are spreading rumors and forcing investors to think 'it's the fault of the SEC and its rules' is that they are now losing because they have been giving credit for god knows how much. We have only cleared 50% so far and still brokers are controlling that to not go over that 50%.

I believe the SEC should be firm and punish these brokers for the crimes they have done.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum