Sri Lanka Equity Forum
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka Equity Forum would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
Sri Lanka Equity Forum

Discussion Forum for Stock Market Investors in Sri Lanka

සිංහල පරිවර්තනය
Submit Post
Submit Post
Market Place

Add an ad

View all ads

Latest topics

» ගෝඨාභය නෙමෙයි පුටින් ආවත් market එක ගොඩ ගන්ඩ බෑ
by stockback Today at 12:16 pm

» Questionnaire on the stock market investor behavior in the Sri Lankan share market
by gayani2018 Today at 4:11 am

» AEL going up short term for gota coming is only chance for trading
by sanjulanka Today at 1:41 am

» Capital trust recommended to buy AEL ..Target Price Rs.24.50
by Eng Krishantha Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» NEST going to run?
by Bakka1988 Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» when you invest in a company call that company and ask some thing
by ThilinaM Yesterday at 10:17 am

» Chevron will go down further in fundamentals
by ThilinaM Yesterday at 8:36 am

» read this carefully - thease dumb investment advisors will advise when gsp received teejay operation would be better
by ThilinaM Yesterday at 7:51 am

» Rocell undervalued
by ThilinaM Yesterday at 7:06 am

» Friends I read a book traders are loosers
by ThilinaM Yesterday at 7:04 am

» Central Bank Reduces Its Policy Interest Rates
by Miss-Sangeetha Yesterday at 5:16 am

» Scared of silence of MS and next 2 Fridays
by samaritan Yesterday at 3:41 am

» Positive News
by Capton KIng Cool Yesterday at 3:07 am

» The Central Bank of Sri Lanka Reduces its Policy Interest Rates
by TraderCSE Yesterday at 2:20 am

» AAIC - Profit over one billion!!!!!
by wisdom79 Yesterday at 2:14 am

» Why AAIC Should trade above RS.50/-
by wisdom79 Yesterday at 2:13 am

» CIND බලාගෙනයි
by ThilinaM Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:20 am

» PAP (Pan Asia Power PLC) Dealings Directors
by Capton KIng Cool Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:24 am

» JKH will touch 175 very soon
by soileconomy Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:57 am

» EMER...?????
by roshan1039 Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:46 pm

» What is your trading preference?
by biglivetrade Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:54 am

» RENUKA HOLDINGS Target 50.00
by ThilinaM Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:04 am

» CIND , 10% guaranteed return
by Bakka1988 Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:21 am

» lOFC definitely will hit 6/-
by Winner123 Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:48 am

» ASHO අර්ජුන් මහේන්ද්‍රගේ බෑන විකුණනවද කොහෙද
by Bakka1988 Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:41 am

» PAP (Pan Asia Power PLC) Apointiment of Director Mr.Sangith Senaka Kakiriwargodage.
by samaritan Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:33 am

» SEC charges four stockbrokers over market manipulation
by player Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:10 am

» Sri Lankan Billionaire Dhammika Perera may Spend Rs. 10 Billion for a Presidential Campaign without any Risk! His Daily Casino Profits said to be over Rs. 50 Million
by nuwanmja Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:09 am

» MGT - Collect n keep
by samaritan Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:35 am

» Browns investments
by Winner123 Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:05 pm

» ASHO will hit moon. Deal with SLTB
by Bakka1988 Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:41 pm

» GLASS (piramal glass ceylon plc) from
by MarketWch Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:50 am

» Elcection Commisioner( MACO)
by Capton KIng Cool Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:29 am

» Presidential election will be held on 16 th of November to 7th of December
by rukshan1234 Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:00 pm

» Which Trading System Or Strategy Is The Most Profitable?
by Teller Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:43 pm

» NEST will touch Rs2000 soon
by Bakka1988 Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:11 pm

» Gotabaya Rajapaksha will named after 10th August. Aspi will move above 6500
by samaritan Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:29 am

» CFVF.N0000 - Target price Rs.60- Donnt sell
by Trader321 Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:36 am

» CFVF.N0000 - Really started Again ..........
by Trader321 Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:29 am

» LOLC Holding( LOLC N.0000)
by Capton KIng Cool Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:15 am

» LOLC Holding( LOLC N.0000) MICRO FINACE In Cambodia
by Capton KIng Cool Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:13 am

» PAN ASIA BANK
by samaritan Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:47 am

» CFVF.N0000 - Deal at What price?
by Winner123 Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:05 pm


You are not connected. Please login or register

Sri Lanka Equity Forum » Stock Market Talk » Expert Chamber » Read this if your stock-market results are disappointing.

Read this if your stock-market results are disappointing.

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin
Published in Investing on 19 August 2011 by Kevin Godbold

I'm reading a great book that is making me think about how I've been managing my share portfolio, even after several years of stock-market investing.
It's called "Selecting Shares That Perform" and was written by Richard Koch and Leo Gough, one a successful investor and the other a prolific author of financial and investment books.
Some of their rules for portfolio management challenge my previously held views, but I think they make sense. The following list starts with the rules that are rocking me the most:
1. Never 'average down' when the price is falling
They must be joking, right. Never average down; surely that flies in the face of conventional wisdom. Heck, I've averaged down on my investments loads of times, when they've moved against me.
But here's the thing -- although times of general market weakness may be a good time for bargain hunting, maybe there's a rational argument for not averaging down when an individual investment tanks. What we are talking about here are shares that fall despite being part of a rising index or portfolio. After all, we buy shares in companies because our analysis leads us to think that they will go up. If they go down, we were wrong, plain and simple.
Averaging down means we think a share is about to turn around and go up again, right? Well that's a tough call to make and one that's easy to get wrong. If you don't believe me, look at shares such as Royal Bank of Scotland (LSE: RBS), Lloyds Banking (LSE: LLOY) and Taylor Wimpey (LSE: TW), all popular 'value' favourites around 2007. Look at the share prices of these companies now and think of those investors that averaged down into the share-price destruction.
To me, it seems wise either to maintain our original weightings in such bad performing investments, or even to consider using the next rule:
2. Never be afraid to sell at a loss
Instead of averaging down, why not axe a falling share? I mean, it's doing the exact opposite to what it was 'supposed' to do, so why not just cut and run after a predetermined decline? The book I'm reading suggests 7-10%.
I wish I'd done that much more often. Shares such as Trinity Mirror (LSE: TNI), Dixons (LSE: DXNS) and HMV (LSE: HMV) could have been prevented from causing so much private-investor carnage if those punters had simply sold on share-price weakness.
3. Balance patience and prudence
Whether we fall into the 'long-term buy and hold' camp or the 'it's never wrong to take a profit' camp, it's a good idea to seek a balance between the two philosophies.
How patient should we be? If we are holding a share for years, and nothing happens, maybe it would be more prudent to sell and move on to other opportunities. Similarly, if a share rockets very quickly, maybe it's prudent to pocket some of those gains. My own rule-of-thumb is 'the faster the gain, the faster the sale.'
Generally, I think it's wise to be flexible and not become too entrenched in either philosophy.
4 Do not over-diversify your portfolio
Traditionally, a diversified portfolio of shares is seen as a defence against individual company risk, but too many shares in a portfolio can actually increase risk.
With too many shares, it's hard to know the underlying companies that well. There is a risk that the quality of your choices might decline and, with so many holdings, you could end up chucking in a few speculative punts with hardly any thought.
With greater focus on just a few shares, it's more likely that we will be on the ball when it comes to buying and selling. The book suggests that between five and ten shares is adequate for most investors.
5. Do not invest heavily when everyone else is
You've probably heard the adage: "When they are crying, it's time for buying; when they are yelling, it's time for selling."
In other words, when everyone has gone share crazy, there's a good chance that markets may be close to a cyclical high -- often a disastrous time to buy most shares.
Conversely, when markets have plummeted and shares are very unpopular due to recent investor losses, it is usually a good time to pick up cheap shares on depressed valuations.
6. Only invest if you are confident in the company's prospects
The book cautions: "Investing in the stock market is not like picking a winner at Aintree", and we can only be confident in a company's prospects if we have researched and analysed it thoroughly.
If we invest in speculative companies with no profits, but with great 'potential,' it is usually very similar to betting on the horses with an unpredictable outcome. On the other hand, finding attractively valued, profit-making businesses with good growth prospects can help us to achieve results that are more predictable.
Bottom Line
To me, these are sensible rules and I'm looking forward particularly to applying the first two more with my own share portfolio.
www.fool.co.uk



Last edited by sriranga on Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

Antonym

Antonym
Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics
sriranga: This is excellent advice for investors in this forum; thanks for sharing.

swan03


Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics
Good one. Thanks for sharing. One rep from me.

Neil Silva


Stock Trader
Thanks!!!!!!! Good advise for beginners like me.

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Looks like advices from well-experienced person.Thanks for sharing. Exclamation

hesara


Stock Trader
Today is my first day. I really appreciate this. Cool

ranga777


Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
THKS FOR YOUR ADVICE ,I HAVE LOST SOME MONEY WHEN INVESTING FOR SHORT TERM GAIN MY EXPERIENCE IS NOT TO DO WHAT BROKERS (ADVICER) ARE SAYING BECAUSE I LOST BECAUSE I TRUSTED THEM MOST OF THE BROKERS ARE INEXPERIENCED ,

ashenrc


Stock Trader
Good article, thanx.
I am happy to see that i have been following some of the above rules in my 1st year of investing Very Happy

manula


Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics
Good article !!! Thanks for sharing Very Happy

@hesara wrote:Today is my first day. I really appreciate this. Cool
Well come to this forum ! Laughing

hunter

hunter
Moderator
Moderator
Excellent advice!!

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin
Thanks to all, for your kind appreciation. We'll work together to make this forum useful to everyone especially to our new comers.
God bless you.

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

Ajith Rajapakse


Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
Sriranga,
Thank you very much for sharing excellent advice

sachithgh

sachithgh
Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
thanx 4 share with us

san1985

san1985
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Really good one mate......

15Read this if your stock-market results are disappointing. Empty valuable idea on Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:16 pm

chathura


Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
I appreciate ur valuable idia.thanks a lot friend.

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics

Thanks very useful post.

pathum


Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
Excellent post mate! Thanks a lot for the share!!!!

ranjanie


Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
Sriranga,

As an experienced person like U, sharing valuable ideas, is a asset to this forum.Tks.

abp1970


Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
Appriciate your knowledge sharing...

dilshan

dilshan
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
~ Gee Thanks a lot yes I too did that averaging mistake. We should average only at the right time otherwise it will end up with extra loss. If we cut off at the losing point by exiting, it will be less harmful than when U exit at a loss after averaging.

Thanks a lot for the valuable advice. For me I'm learning the lessons through the experience and valuable posts like this. but there may be few that does the same mistake again. I invite them to read these valuable posts and turn the losses into profits. ~

chucks


Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
Really usefull post!Very Happy
Thanx bro.

hirankb

hirankb
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
whats wrong with averaging down a blue chip which is down with the index ( beta 1) ?

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin
@hirankb wrote:whats wrong with averaging down a blue chip which is down with the index ( beta 1) ?

I prefer to average by the following way, please read this link.
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t6611-averaging-the-buy-price-to-minimize-risk-a-common-mistake-of-stock-traders#77319

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
@hirankb wrote:whats wrong with averaging down a blue chip which is down with the index ( beta 1) ?
What I am going to tell below is easy to tell but difficult to follow.
Averaging,cutting losses and just holding are different strategies and all will work depend upon the condition or situation.Therefore u have to select the suitable stratergy for the current situation.

hirankb

hirankb
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
Mr Sriranga, You hit the nail of the head..... what the hell have I being thinking ...... this is a text book answer that almost everyone mis interpret.. Thanks for head slap.

by the way I see a head and shoulder top reversal pattern developed in ASI. Am i correct...?

Jeevendra

Jeevendra
Stock Trader
Awesome... Thanks man....

Kinm hunter

Kinm hunter
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
Grate ...

Cheers.....

snowball5


Stock Analytic
Stock Analytic
Thanks for sharing with us.

Kumar

Kumar
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Timely reminder.
On of the very good one shared by you.
Keep it up.

Light of Hope


Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics
why didn't I read these things all this time

bakapandithaya

bakapandithaya
Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics
Thnkx sri 4 shring

K.Haputantri

K.Haputantri
Co-Admin
Thanks Shri. Good one.

greedy007


Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Again one of the best article shared by you.
I wonder how you are spending much time on reading?
Anyway thanks a lot.

Redbulls

Redbulls
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics
@hirankb wrote:Mr Sriranga, You hit the nail of the head..... what the hell have I being thinking ...... this is a text book answer that almost everyone mis interpret.. Thanks for head slap.

by the way I see a head and shoulder top reversal pattern developed in ASI. Am i correct...?

I agree with you.
Good one to share.
We readers need to read the following website,www.fool.co.uk-where sriranga is getting more info and sharing with us.

madhawa.h


Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
5. Do not invest heavily when everyone else is
You've probably heard the adage: "When they are crying, it's time for buying; when they are yelling, it's time for selling."
In other words, when everyone has gone share crazy, there's a good chance that markets may be close to a cyclical high -- often a disastrous time to buy most shares.
Conversely, when markets have plummeted and shares are very unpopular due to recent investor losses, it is usually a good time to pick up cheap shares on depressed valuations.

Hiks. This is what none of the ppl do. bt a best practice. Smile we all do the other way around. Smile

ice4083


Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
Averaging works if the share is very liquid or a value share or both. SAMP dropped from 300 to 148 in two years back at 230. The drop was not because there was anything wrong with SAMP, so if it was good to buy at 280 why was is it not good to buy at a 50% discount? Unless one has run out of money, and buying on credit, averaging will not work.

KDDND

KDDND
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Read this if your stock-market results are disappointing.
Post by sriranga on Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:39 pm
First topic message reminder :
Published in Investing on 19 August 2011 by Kevin Godbold


This is how I get it........... Thx SRI!

1. Never 'average down' when the price is falling
When they go down....... sell and catch from bottom

2. Never be afraid to sell at a loss
Instead of averaging down...... sell and catch it from bottom... so we can save or limit the invested amount for the same quantity..

3. Balance patience and prudence
Slow moving shares - better to sell and move on to other opportunities.
Fast moving shares - pocket some of those gains


4 Do not over-diversify your portfolio
Portfolio - better to have between five and ten shares

5. Do not invest heavily when everyone else is
"When they are crying, it's time for buying; when they are yelling, it's time for selling."

6. Only invest if you are confident in the company's prospects
Research and analyses your preferred companies thoroughly.
Speculative companies with no profits, but with great 'potential,'
Attractively valued, profit-making, good growth prospects - predictable result.


www.fool.co.uk
Last edited by sriranga on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Thank you SRIRANGA.....!!! this is good input of our learning process.....!!! cheers



Last edited by KDDND on Fri May 17, 2013 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : English improvements!)

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics
Game is different during bear and bull.

Sometime one can sell too early in a bull ;-)

Best to know your investment value, period and the market you are in.

If everyone becomes a trader there will be no CSE. Like wise the other way around for investors.





@KDDND wrote:Read this if your stock-market results are disappointing.
Post by sriranga on Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:39 pm
First topic message reminder :
Published in Investing on 19 August 2011 by Kevin Godbold


This is how I get it........... Thx SRI!

1. Never 'average down' when the price is falling
When they go down....... sell and catch from bottom

2. Never be afraid to sell at a loss
Instead of averaging down...... sell and catch it from bottom... so we can save or limit the invested amount for the same quantity..

3. Balance patience and prudence
Slow moving shares - better to sell and move on to other opportunities.
Fast moving shares - pocket some of those gains


4 Do not over-diversify your portfolio
Portfolio - better to have between five and ten shares

5. Do not invest heavily when everyone else is
"When they are crying, it's time for buying; when they are yelling, it's time for selling."

6. Only invest if you are confident in the company's prospects
Research and analyses your preferred companies thoroughly.
Speculative companies with no profits, but with great 'potential,'
Attractively valued, profit-making, good growth prospects - predictable result.


www.fool.co.uk
Last edited by sriranga on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Thank you SRIRANGA.....!!! this is good input of our learning process.....!!! cheers

KDDND

KDDND
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
@slstock wrote:Game is different during bear and bull.

Sometime one can sell too early in a bull ;-)

Best to know your investment value, period and the market you are in.

If everyone becomes a trader there will be no CSE. Like wise the other way around for investors.





@KDDND wrote:Read this if your stock-market results are disappointing.
Post by sriranga on Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:39 pm
First topic message reminder :
Published in Investing on 19 August 2011 by Kevin Godbold


This is how I get it........... Thx SRI!

1. Never 'average down' when the price is falling
When they go down....... sell and catch from bottom

2. Never be afraid to sell at a loss
Instead of averaging down...... sell and catch it from bottom... so we can save or limit the invested amount for the same quantity..

3. Balance patience and prudence
Slow moving shares - better to sell and move on to other opportunities.
Fast moving shares - pocket some of those gains


4 Do not over-diversify your portfolio
Portfolio - better to have between five and ten shares

5. Do not invest heavily when everyone else is
"When they are crying, it's time for buying; when they are yelling, it's time for selling."

6. Only invest if you are confident in the company's prospects
Research and analyses your preferred companies thoroughly.
Speculative companies with no profits, but with great 'potential,'
Attractively valued, profit-making, good growth prospects - predictable result.


www.fool.co.uk
Last edited by sriranga on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Thank you SRIRANGA.....!!! this is good input of our learning process.....!!! cheers

yeah! SRI!
v can't forget this option too....
I too have few experiences of EARLY EXIT!..

Got down the train early.......!!!
what a feelings.....
but yet happy as some profit is there..... rather than a loss..
Basketball

PROPRITER

PROPRITER
Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
thanks for the advice!

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum