FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Yesterday at 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by ChooBoy Fri May 10, 2024 5:29 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Time to give up on shares? Not a chance. Here's why.

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

5 Reasons To Keep Investing

These days we need to make an annual return of around 4.5% just to keep up with inflation -- and with interest rates so low, cash in the bank is being eroded daily. And who knows, we might have a further recession ahead of us, or even a euro meltdown. So is it worth bothering with investment at all in such uncertain and despondent times like these?
Well, yes, it is, and here are five reasons why...

Everyone is fearful
There's a well known quote from Warren Buffett, which has been doing the rounds a lot of late, and I make no apologies for repeating it...
"Be fearful when everyone is greedy. Be greedy when everyone is fearful."
Hark back to the dotcom boom when everyone was being greedy. I recall listening to people in the pub banging on about the next sure-fire winner they were going to put their money on -- and these were people who knew absolutely nothing about investing in shares.
"No, that's way overvalued -- it'll be worth a small fraction of that in a year or so", I'd say, only to be laughed at the next day when it had gone up another few percent. And, well, you know what happened next.
Today the opposite emotions hold sway, and the popular message is that shares are poop. And that I reckon makes now a great time to buy -- when they're being sold for bargain-basement prices because too many people have become too scared.

There are some great bargains
If you've been reading anything in recent months, you'll know how many of us have been picking our lists of super-cheap bargains.
I picked five shares early last month that I thought were real steals, and I stand by them for anyone investing with a five-year-plus horizon. And I'm pretty much behind the selections made by my Foolish colleagues, too. The truth is, there are many quality companies out there that Fools have followed for years, and many of them are much lower priced today than they have been for quite some time.

It's defensive
We hear a lot about moving to 'defensive' investments in tough economic times, and that's led plenty of people to abandon their shares in the 'risky' stock market and seek so-called safe havens such as gold.
Such moves have pushed the price of the shiny but ultimately worthless stuff up to record highs -- gold's around $1,800 an ounce now, and there are people forecasting $2,500 for next year.
But is gold safe? No, of course it isn't, it's just another consumer-led bubble. And when people decide it's no longer the thing to hold, they'll be selling it and the price will tumble.
No, the real defensive things to own are shares in companies earning good profits and paying good dividends -- where you can expect to receive that income next year, the year after, and for many years to come, while the magpie gold-hoarders have nothing to rely on but emotion.

Time in the market
Timing the market is a mug's game.
Sure, some people are better at timing than others, and some are successful at shorter-term investing, and even ultra-short-term trading.
But you know, I reckon the number of people who think they are good at timing the market outweighs the number who actually are by quite some margin -- remember the 80% of drivers who believe they're better than average?
For most of us, market timing simply isn't a realistic option, and for serious long-term investors, it really doesn't matter anyway -- the secret is to get our money invested in shares in good-quality companies and just leave it there.

It really is long term
This one follows on from the previous four reasons. Simply, put aside emotion, fear, greed, fad, fashion and the madness of crowds... and just plonk down your wad to buy portions of businesses that are going to carry on making money for you for decades to come.
And over the very long term, no other kind of investment really can beat shares, because the combination of capital and labour that they represent is the only thing that actually creates wealth. Everything else -- bonds, gold, property, whatever -- is secondary, and relies entirely on the wealth generated by business to keep it going.
Source: By Alan Oscroft in Investing

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

tubal

Vice President - Equity Analytics

sriranga wrote:5 Reasons To Keep Investing

These days we need to make an annual return of around 4.5% just to keep up with inflation -- and with interest rates so low, cash in the bank is being eroded daily. And who knows, we might have a further recession ahead of us, or even a euro meltdown. So is it worth bothering with investment at all in such uncertain and despondent times like these?

Everyone is fearful
There's a well known quote from Warren Buffett, which has been doing the rounds a lot of late, and I make no apologies for repeating it...
Hark back to the dotcom boom when everyone was being greedy. I recall listening to people in the pub banging on about the next sure-fire winner they were going to put their money on -- and these were people who knew absolutely nothing about investing in shares.
"No, that's way overvalued -- it'll be worth a small fraction of that in a year or so", I'd say, only to be laughed at the next day when it had gone up another few percent. And, well, you know what happened next.
Today the opposite emotions hold sway, and the popular message is that shares are poop. And that I reckon makes now a great time to buy -- when they're being sold for bargain-basement prices because too many people have become too scared.

If you've been reading anything in recent months, you'll know how many of us have been picking our lists of super-cheap bargains.
I picked five shares early last month that I thought were real steals, and I stand by them for anyone investing with a five-year-plus horizon. And I'm pretty much behind the selections made by my Foolish colleagues, too. The truth is, there are many quality companies out there that Fools have followed for years, and many of them are much lower priced today than they have been for quite some time.

It's defensive
We hear a lot about moving to 'defensive' investments in tough economic times, and that's led plenty of people to abandon their shares in the 'risky' stock market and seek so-called safe havens such as gold.
Such moves have pushed the price of the shiny but ultimately worthless stuff up to record highs -- gold's around $1,800 an ounce now, and there are people forecasting $2,500 for next year.
But is gold safe? No, of course it isn't, it's just another consumer-led bubble. And when people decide it's no longer the thing to hold, they'll be selling it and the price will tumble.
No, the real defensive things to own are shares in companies earning good profits and paying good dividends -- where you can expect to receive that income next year, the year after, and for many years to come, while the magpie gold-hoarders have nothing to rely on but emotion.

Time in the market
Sure, some people are better at timing than others, and some are successful at shorter-term investing, and even ultra-short-term trading.
But you know, I reckon the number of people who think they are good at timing the market outweighs the number who actually are by quite some margin -- remember the 80% of drivers who believe they're better than average?
For most of us, market timing simply isn't a realistic option, and for serious long-term investors, it really doesn't matter anyway -- the secret is to get our money invested in shares in good-quality companies and just leave it there.

It really is long term
This one follows on from the previous four reasons. Simply, put aside emotion, fear, greed, fad, fashion and the madness of crowds... and just plonk down your wad to buy portions of businesses that are going to carry on making money for you for decades to come.
And over the very long term, no other kind of investment really can beat shares, because the combination of capital and labour that they represent is the only thing that actually creates wealth. Everything else -- bonds, gold, property, whatever -- is secondary, and relies entirely on the wealth generated by business to keep it going.

The biggest problem with this forum is that anyone can pretend to be an expert with a little skill in cut and paste. http://www.fool.co.uk/news/investing/2011/09/21/5-reasons-to-keep-investing.aspx

of course you need to know how to paraphrase sentences like "If you've been reading anything here at the Fool in recent months, you'll know how many of us have been picking our lists of super-cheap bargains."

Soundchips

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

market can go up after two days of red. cannot go on for long.

tubal

Soundchips wrote:market can go up after two days of red. cannot go on for long.

ah yes, the other famous cut and paste artist. Has more than 400 posts, almost all of them repeats of previous posts.

sas

sas

@ tubal,
admire your presence in this forum very much, but the thing is that even someone posted something by 'cut & paste' for me valuable things are valuable. coz (taking me as an example) I don't have much time for digging valuable things in the internet, books, media,...etc.

I'm putting something daily(thinking that someone may benefit from that), but I couldn't find half an hour yesterday for that.

As a science person I really appreciate criticism for some facts for good.

+ reps for both of you guys sriranga & tubal (I'm really sorry if I'm hurting any of you through my posts) Smile

note: share market is not my major thing but I fulfilled my investment goal within 3 months,for that so many thanks goes to forum members including both of you.

tubal

sas wrote:@ tubal,
admire your presence in this forum very much, but the thing is that even someone posted something by 'cut & paste' for me valuable things are valuable. coz (taking me as an example) I don't have much time for digging valuable things in the internet, books, media,...etc.

I'm putting something daily(thinking that someone may benefit from that), but I couldn't find half an hour yesterday for that.

+ reps for both of you guys sriranga & tubal (I'm really sorry if I'm hurting any of you through my posts) Smile

note: share market is not my major thing but I fulfilled my investment goal within 3 months,for that so many thanks goes to forum members including both of you.

If you are really a science person you would know what plagarism is and you would know the need to provide proper references. Instead of spending 5 minutes to edit an article to make it look like something he wrote, a poster can simply spend 30 seconds to paste the reference to the original write (who probably spent hours of his time to research and write it)

sas

sas

tubal wrote:

If you are really a science person you would know what plagarism is and you would know the need to provide proper references. Instead of spending 5 minutes to edit an article to make it look like something he wrote, a poster can simply spend 30 seconds to paste the reference to the original write (who probably spent hours of his time to research and write it)

100% agree with you regarding plagiarism on research work, If I add more "probably spent years of his time.."
but, practically we are in this forum for gaining knowledge right Very Happy

tubal

sas wrote:
tubal wrote:

100% agree with you regarding plagiarism on research work, If I add more "probably spent years of his time.."

Cheating is cheating.
And people are getting advice from people who don't really know all that much. They just pretend they know by stealing other peoples work. THis is quite common through out this forum.

THis is my last word on this topic.

Rajaraam

sas wrote,

I fully agree with your points sas. + rep from me to you and sriranga

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

tubal wrote:
sriranga wrote:5 Reasons To Keep Investing

Everyone is fearful

It's defensive

Time in the market

It really is long term

The biggest problem with this forum is that anyone can pretend to be an expert with a little skill in cut and paste. http://www.fool.co.uk/news/investing/2011/09/21/5-reasons-to-keep-investing.aspx

of course you need to know how to paraphrase sentences like "If you've been reading anything here at the Fool in recent months, you'll know how many of us have been picking our lists of super-cheap bargains."

Hi tubal.
I agree with you.
Please note, most of my posts posted by me I always mentioned the source.
My intention to introduce some moral boosting articles in this forum.
What I read, I wish to share.
Thats all.
Nothing personal.

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum