FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Today at 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Today at 12:18 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by ChooBoy Fri May 10, 2024 5:29 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cant we prevent from huge losses?

+5
Tiger
sriranga
Sudarshen
sas
swan03
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cant we prevent from huge losses? Empty Cant we prevent from huge losses? Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:14 am

swan03

Vice President - Equity Analytics

Any idea how to prevent from losses? I mean, not in the current market.

2Cant we prevent from huge losses? Empty Re: Cant we prevent from huge losses? Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:23 am

sas

sas
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

swan03 wrote:Any idea how to prevent from losses? I mean, not in the current market.
I think it depends, we can't specifically say it should be this way,
early exit with good profit
early exit even with a small loss, if it confirms holding it may cause huge loss
invest in companies which have a good potential to grow-below IPO price & below pp price if you can
and also,
by not going after rallies(which is very difficult to set our mind Very Happy )
by not going after IPOs-if there are lot of people willing to sell cheap Very Happy

3Cant we prevent from huge losses? Empty Re: Cant we prevent from huge losses? Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:41 am

sas

sas

and also by listening to some one you trust, and act accordingly
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t1868-turning-away-the-life-raft
but it's sad they are not willing to talk Sad

4Cant we prevent from huge losses? Empty Re: Cant we prevent from huge losses? Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:20 am

Sudarshen

Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

Hello sas,

Is that mean we can't do long term investments ?

5Cant we prevent from huge losses? Empty Re: Cant we prevent from huge losses? Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:08 am

sas

sas

Sudarshen wrote:Hello sas,
Is that mean we can't do long term investments ?
I'm not a suitable person to talk about "longterm", just see my path, in the very first link you can see my mentality when entering to the market "pathetic"
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t6138-portfolio-advice-needed
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t8104-investors-vs-traders
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t10009-online-trading-for-beginners

I wanted to be a longterm investor, but
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t2111-flch-oversbcribed-by-45-times?
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t4919-rich-and-flch?

if I can keep FLCH at 3.30, Rich at 9.70, lolc 83.00 or lower than that, isn't that better ?
see I didn't violated my signature, its golden words by SLSTOCK if you ask, I'm only adapting to the changing environment

6Cant we prevent from huge losses? Empty Re: Cant we prevent from huge losses? Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:48 am

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

Below are the common blunders in stock market trading.

Lack of plan- Exposing yourself to market dangers without a specific plan in mind can only lead you to deep losses. Your initial steps in stock trading are so critical that you should be doing your homework before you decide to join the bandwagon. Your entire investment is likely to fail without a clear plan in place.

Lack of strategy- Strategy is the most important factor that can either make or break your opportunities of achieving success. While it is important to read instructional tips from highly experienced stock trading gurus, make sure to check any financial commentaries against other equally trustworthy sources. Knowledge is power. Stock market is quite volatile. Your researches would come handy when time comes when you are faced with choices of which stocks you can put your money on.

Lack of patience- Don’t rush your dreams of earning quite a lot of money overnight. Remember, Rome wasn’t built in a single day. Experience is what you need to gain in order to navigate into this tricky business filled with mazes. Manage your expectations. Expect some losses along the way. Just don’t lose sight of your goal of making hefty profits. Rash decisions do not make you rich in this business.
Investing beyond your financial means- This will choke you financially. The volatility of the market might bring down the value of your investment to zero overnight. Only invest in the amount that you are willing to lose.

Lack of diligence- Nobody in the world of financial trading is absolutely perfect. Even the most seasoned experts are still doing their homework. It’s always subject to dynamic changes all the time. Be diligent and continue the learning curve. Losses will always remain as an inherent feature in any line of business. The goal is to make your profits far larger than your losses.

Lack of portfolio management- You need to study and assess the amount of investment you place along with your wins and losses. This will aid you in making a sound financial decision and strategy. Create a stock portfolio and spend good time in tracking everything from the start.

Risks and opportunities are two sides of the same coin. Learn when to and when not invest. Keep abreast of the latest update in the stock market.

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

7Cant we prevent from huge losses? Empty Break even Table to recover your loss Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:54 am

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

Cant we prevent from huge losses? Loss10

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

8Cant we prevent from huge losses? Empty Re: Cant we prevent from huge losses? Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:09 pm

Tiger

Tiger
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

swan03 wrote:Any idea how to prevent from losses? I mean, not in the current market.

As soon as you realize that you made a wrong decision, cut your looses. Some examples of things that you can do are; 1) just dispose 50% of your holding 2) stop putting more and more money just to average 3) diversify your PF 3) Hedge the PF if possible (e.g LIOC Vs VPEL, DPL,RCL ideally these should move opposite direction).

9Cant we prevent from huge losses? Empty Re: Cant we prevent from huge losses? Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:28 pm

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics

1) Firstly need to value your company (ex : PE, NAV etc) compared to market.

2) then identify/have a period of investment.

3)

a) If the company is still solid, the value of the share you hold is still within range

i) if for long term do not worry ( as you will turn your loss to profit with time )
ii) if for short term see the current market trend . If you think there will be huge correction in the market
you can sell.

b) If company good but is overvalued according to your analysis

i) for long term you can sell and buy back later or just hold and forget ( remember long term people do not really care about short term price fluctuations). But in a run if a share gets hugely overvalued then you can sell and buy back later if you are monitoring the market frequently

ii) short term, sell . You can cut losses by selling once you have 10% loss or so , so the loss does not grow bigger

c) if company is bad and is overvalued

Long term , short term. SELL, SELL. And don;t take unnecesary risks or gamble.

Portfolio diversification, averaging ( if you can identify the bottom ( which is hard) and selling with small profit next time it goes up helps to reduces overall losses. But you need to be careful when you average as you need to know when to enter and exit with new shares ./ else you losses with be more)

I know this is harder done than said.

I am sure others will contribute with more strategies.

10Cant we prevent from huge losses? Empty Re: Cant we prevent from huge losses? Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:42 pm

swan03

Thank you everyone for your valuable advises.

11Cant we prevent from huge losses? Empty Re: Cant we prevent from huge losses? Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:56 pm

Universalgoal

sas wrote:and also by listening to some one you trust, and act accordingly

bcs they are also loosing huge these days Very Happy

12Cant we prevent from huge losses? Empty Re: Cant we prevent from huge losses? Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:06 pm

sas

sas

Universalgoal wrote:
sas wrote:and also by listening to some one you trust, and act accordingly

bcs they are also loosing huge these days Very Happy

The person I was referring to, I don't think so.. Smile

13Cant we prevent from huge losses? Empty Re: Cant we prevent from huge losses? Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:52 am

Aamiable

sriranga wrote:Cant we prevent from huge losses? Loss10

Generally market further depress in November and December, some more credit to be cleared according to CSE circulars if there are further losses impossible to recover. all are loosing in a market like this, best thing is to avoid credit .

14Cant we prevent from huge losses? Empty Re: Cant we prevent from huge losses? Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:13 am

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

It is simple isn't it ? Do not wait till it becomes a huge loss.
"Letting profits run and cutting losses short"
Usually we get huge losses because of running after fake rallies.So when u are going after rally never worry to sell at a recovarable loss.All of us can make wrong decisions.Therefore correct that decision before it gets worsen even at some sort of cost.
But this does not mean that u can do this everytime.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum