FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Fri May 17, 2024 9:08 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Thu May 16, 2024 9:13 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by thankrishan Wed May 15, 2024 1:58 pm

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by ChooBoy Fri May 10, 2024 5:29 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Your Portfolio's Worst Enemy

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Your Portfolio's Worst Enemy Empty Your Portfolio's Worst Enemy Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:26 pm

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

Avoid these mind traps and stop hurting your returns.
BY Kevin Godbold - Published in Investing on 8 December 2011
In September 2005, I wrote on the Fool's Royal Bank of Scotland discussion board:
"Please explain to me what I have missed, but I can only see the share price going further down and, until it does, there is no value, because it is already where it is likely to recover to!"

At the time, I believed the bank's business had a cyclical nature and that earnings were at the top of the cycle. Needless to say, I didn't hold the shares back then.

However, in June 2007 I bought some, almost perfectly timing my purchase to coincide with the start of the calamitous plummet to today's levels! Regrettably, those RBS shares remain in my portfolio to this day. So what went wrong? Why did I end up acting against my earlier conviction?

Portfolio enemy number one
It's clear that the threat to my portfolio came from me -- I was my portfolio's worst enemy. It wasn't the credit crunch, it wasn't the recession and it wasn't the company. The banana skin in this case was that I'd fallen into a mind trap that psychologists call 'groupthink'.

Around the time of my purchase, RBS looked cheap on conventional value measures. Investors were talking of it being a 'square share,' meaning that its dividend yield was the same as its price to earnings ratio, with the yield being high and the P/E being low. The share was appearing on lists of value shares all over the internet and many articles extolled its value credentials. I gradually succumbed to my perception of the majority view, forgetting earlier cyclical concerns about the share.

Groupthink is a particularly dangerous decision-making trap, in my view. It's likely to occur because it latches onto our deep social identification mechanisms, even though we may be unaware it is happening. But achieving a consensus view that drowns out opposition can lead to disastrous results.

In my case, adopting the second groupthink idea of starting a 'diversified' high-yield portfolio in 2007, without regard to cyclicality, magnified the disaster. Haplessly, I bought Lloyds Banking, Dixons Retail, Taylor Wimpey and Kesa Electricals, too, while being aware of legendary fund manager Peter Lynch's teachings on cyclical investing -- not my finest investing hour!

A different logic
Groupthink is just one of several mind traps that psychologists have identified under the broad heading of cognition -- how we think, process information and remember. It's all about how the mind works and how it can, as in my case, work against us.

Of course, problem solving and decision making is a huge part of what we ask our minds to do, and those activities are particularly relevant to the activity of investing. Logic plays a big part in that, but studies have shown that human logic is often different to pure logic, such as that performed by a computer. That doesn't mean human thinking is always irrational in terms of social awareness and probabilities, but it does lead to another set of dangerous mind traps broadly categorised as heuristics.

Heuristically challenged
Our socially and experience-influenced logic can lead us to take cognitive short-cuts, or heuristics, that can result in us making decisions that may not be the most sensible ones. One way that this might occur is through the heuristic of availability.

For example, I chose my duff high-yielding shares, in 2007, from options that sprang immediately to mind. Their recent appearance on value lists and articles was fresh in my mind, and I failed to consider the wider universe of investment options available. My expectations were influenced by recent experience of high dividends -- I could have thought harder about my investments, but didn't.

Entrapment is another heuristic. When we've put a lot of effort into a course of action, it's hard to change because it means what we've done is useless. The fact that I'm still holding all the shares mentioned, despite massive capital loss and a desert of dividends, means that I've fallen squarely into that trap. The shares could've been sold at any time, after all, they didn't go from hero to zero in one night while I slept -- I was asleep in other ways, and had ample opportunity to cut my losses.

One to save us
Fortunately, it's possible to train ourselves to think in a way that helps us avoid falling into the mind traps created by expectations, assumptions, short cuts and fuzzy logic. A chap called Edward de Bono developed a powerful technique called lateral thinking, where people try to solve problems by 'thinking outside the box.'

Lateral thinking isn't a fail-safe way of making correct decisions, but it does help to expand our range of options and has helped to popularise the term 'brainstorming'. Had I used it in 2007, my money could still be in the bank, or be invested in a new house... or even be multiplied by shorting cyclicals!

I'm hoping that lateral thinking and awareness of these mind traps will make me less of an enemy and more of a friend to my portfolio in future!
Source: http://www.fool.co.uk/news/investing/2011/12/08/your-portfolios-worst-enemy.aspx

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

2Your Portfolio's Worst Enemy Empty Re: Your Portfolio's Worst Enemy Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:41 pm

Kumar

Kumar
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Thanks for sharing.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum