FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by D.G.Dayaratne Today at 7:28 am

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Fri May 17, 2024 9:08 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Thu May 16, 2024 9:13 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by thankrishan Wed May 15, 2024 1:58 pm

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

3 Investing Traps -- And How To Avoid Them

+6
cseguide
K.Haputantri
Slstock
FXX
Quibit
CSE.SAS
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

CSE.SAS

CSE.SAS
Global Moderator

This entry marks my 1000th post since I began wrtiting in this forum. I deeply appreciate those who have encouraged me and those who read my post.I am looking forward to the next 1000 posts!

These tips should help you sidestep some common accounting pitfalls.

Alcoholics have 12 steps. Grievers have five stages. Investors have their phases, too, with the biggest leap coming when a fledgling shareholder begins tossing accounting ratios around. I've calculated ratios for years myself and I'll say this: ratios are both powerful and open to misuse by novices. I'd like to share a few tricks with you to help you avoid some common pitfalls.

Trap 1: Focusing too much on return on equity (ROE)

The much-vaunted ROE seems pure: take net profits, divide by shareholders' equity, and you see how efficient a business is with investors' money. ROE is Warren Buffet's favourite ratio, and executive pay is sometimes tied to it.

When it's a trap: When it's enhanced by debt. Borrowing funds to make more money for shareholders isn't necessarily evil, and is sometimes beneficial. But investors strictly watching ROE will miss the additional risk taken by a management team 'gearing up' to meet performance targets.

Protect yourself: Add return on invested capital (ROIC) to your arsenal. Using the same principle as ROE, ROIC essentially compares after-tax operating profits to both debt and equity capital, and thus provides a better measure of operational success that can't be inflated by a financing decision. Moreover, research by American equity strategist Michael Mauboussin of Legg Mason shows that companies whose ROICs either rise or remain consistently high tend to outperform others. Search online to find the precise formula, or drop me a comment in the box below.

I screened for companies with returns on capital (a near-identical cousin of ROIC) above 20% that have seen an improvement in return on capital during the past five years. These shares are not recommendations, but rather screen results that may be of interest given the discussion.
3 Investing Traps -- And How To Avoid Them Aaa110

Trap 2: Taking turnover growth at face value

A sale is a sale, right? Wrong. Turnover is a prime line for accounts manipulation.

When it's a trap: Intricate shenanigans with turnover figures can be tough to uncover, but a simple rule of thumb is to become suspicious if growth in trade receivables (for instance, the amounts customers owe) meaningfully exceeds growth in revenues. This could indicate 'channel stuffing', whereby a company extends overly generous terms to customers simply to gain a short-term turnover boost.

Protect yourself: Using a screening tool or your own sums, compute the relative growth of both sales and trade receivables, particularly for companies whose growing turnover forms a major part of your investing thesis.

Trap 3: Using accounting profits to compute dividend cover

I've done this myself, and feel it's probably acceptable with stable companies clearly able to pay shareholders.

When it's a trap: The first thing a budding investor learns is that for accounting reasons, profits don't always match cash flow -- from which dividends are paid. Though cash flows and profits should theoretically match over time, profits are skewed by 'accrual' calculations, such as spreading the cost of equipment purchases over the life of the equipment, versus charging the costs in the year they occurred.

Protect yourself: Experienced analysts use free cash flow instead of reported earnings to produce a more reliable measure of dividend safety.Swapping cash flow for accounting profits in your dividend cover calculation should increase its reliability.

These companies as having cash flows materially exceeding accounting profits.
3 Investing Traps -- And How To Avoid Them Aaa210

There you have it. You're now three traps wiser, which is a step ahead of most investors. Indeed, while spotting numerical chicanery may be best for sidestepping share-price stinkers, avoiding losers is more than half the battle to building a winning portfolio.

Accounting skills in action

Just to finish off, I applied these accounting tricks when I double-checked the numbers at one of my favourite shares for 2012. You see, I calculated this blue chip's ROIC, compared its sales to trade receivables and used cash flow to evaluate its dividend cover -- and needless to say, I was very happy with the resulting ratios.

I wrote this post based an article on fool.co.uk

Quibit

Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Congratulation on your 1,000th post and thank you for the immense contribution you have made to the forum and it's membership.

FXX

FXX
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Congrats buddy Smile

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics

Congratulations CSE.SAS. I specially admired your recent contributions which diverted from not only news items but to very usefull material. I noticed you are just still young.. I think you will have a long and sucessfull journey ahead.

All the best.

K.Haputantri

K.Haputantri
Co-Admin

Congradulations CSE!

cseguide

cseguide
Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics

congradulation cse

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

Congratulation CSE.SAS.
1000th post also giving some message.
Hope more to come.

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

Nitro

Nitro
Stock Trader

Congrats for reaching 1000 posts CSE and thanks for all the useful tips. It all boils down to proper planning before you take action.

I just have about 1000 to go to catch up! Very Happy

greedy007

Congratulation and best wishes on your 1000th post.
Very good one from you.
Thanks.

Kumar

Kumar

Congratulation on your 1000th post.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum