FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Richard Pieris Exports PLC (REXP.N0000) future looks bleak!
by God Father Yesterday at 10:08 pm

» Sri Lanka key Economic Indicators and Future Outlook for 2024
by God Father Yesterday at 6:06 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by God Father Yesterday at 5:59 pm

» HSENID BUSINESS SOLUTIONS PLC (HBS.N0000)
by God Father Yesterday at 5:49 pm

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by glad Yesterday at 9:27 am

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by D.G.Dayaratne Sun May 19, 2024 7:28 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Thu May 16, 2024 9:13 am

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dividend yield or capital gains - what's your choice?

+4
Antonym
WildBear
anubis
Fresher
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Fresher

With this discussion, I would like to ask this.

Assume PLC reaches 20/- (which is still less than 2x PBV)

If it declares 0.50/- quarterly dividends in the future (Then most likely it will go beyond that price too), then it will be a dividend yield of approx 16% at current prices (after tax)

If a person has bought in the last few weeks, then he/she will have unrealized capital gain of approx 80%

In such a case, will you exit booking capital gains, or will you hold for it's dividends?

Not only in this case, but for all high dividend stocks. First I faced this situation with CTC

anubis

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Very good question, I also had the same doubt...

My strategy is to hold that 80% of shares no matter what happens... I think it mostly depends on what kind of a person you are. If you are a good trader, then you may be able to predict ups and downs and be able to make massive capital gains by selling all shares at the right time and buying them back again when the time comes...

But I have realized that I absolutely suck at predicting market moves... so I'll be happy with the dividend yield from that 80% lot of my shares. The remaining 20%, well, I might try to do some swing trading... just to see if I can make it work... Wink

It'll be very interesting to hear what others have to say in this regard, please share your thoughts Smile

Cheers!

Fresher

anubis wrote:Very good question, I also had the same doubt...

My strategy is to hold that 80% of shares no matter what happens... I think it mostly depends on what kind of a person you are. If you are a good trader, then you may be able to predict ups and downs and be able to make massive capital gains by selling all shares at the right time and buying them back again when the time comes...

But I have realized that I absolutely suck at predicting market moves... so I'll be happy with the dividend yield from that 80% lot of my shares. The remaining 20%, well, I might try to do some swing trading... just to see if I can make it work... Wink

It'll be very interesting to hear what others have to say in this regard, please share your thoughts Smile

Cheers!

Yes, it depends on individual strategies. But I think you misread my post.
The 80% I mentioned is the unrealized gain from one particular stock. Not the holding in the total portfolio Smile

WildBear

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

We mut embrace a business which can give you annual dividend yield of 16%. You can use the cash flow to re invest in other stocks.

anubis

Sorry, I was referring to my 80% : 20% rule... (80% holding, 20% for swing trading).

I wouldn't look at the unrealized gain... Wink

Cheers!

Fresher

WildBear wrote:We mut embrace a business which can give you annual dividend yield of 16%. You can use the cash flow to re invest in other stocks.

Ideally yes.

But the truth is the price will not be at that level anymore to give that yield. Although YOUR yield at your cost would be 16%, the price would eventually increase to result in a yield of 4-8%

At this point, you may find another stock which you believe can give a better capital gain in the future, or a stock which would give a better dividend yield considering the price at the time.
Further, it must be noted that not all companies will continue paying a stable dividend forever.

Fresher

I split the thread since I thought this could become a worthy discussion and not totally related to the other topic Smile

Antonym

Antonym
Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics

When investing in equity, my primary objective is capital gains.

I look at dividend yield as a defensive strategy, like: If Share X offers a consistent dividend yield of 10% at current price, there's a limit to how low the price can drop.

Last edited by Antonym on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

anubis

@npp, if I may ask, when did you buy CTC and what was the share value at that time?

May be another thing to consider is long term growth... if you hold PLC / CTC / NEST for another 20 years, what will be the value of those shares? I think these companies have no other direction but to grow... and I think you'll be able to give your son / daughter a massive amount of money if you plan like that (but I don't have that much experience, only guessing).

On the other hand, LLUB also gives regular dividends... but can you be sure that it will grow massively in another 20 years? (May be same applies for CTC?)

So, I guess long-term growth also needs to be taken into account in this situation. Just an opinion.

Cheers!

Rizmi

Rizmi
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

My personal strategy is Capital Gain..
In this market the dividend yield is not comparatively attractive..

hunter

hunter

I think the answer depends on which stage you are in.
If you are in a growth stage, you're looking for pf growth aggressively; that means capital gain is preferred.
On the other hand, if you have a considerably big pf, then you're more worried about the security/safety of your pf rather than gains. Then you'd prefer keeping your money with stable, regular dividend paying counters.

I am right now at the pf growth stage.

yellow knife

p silent q and d

continue buying more quantitiy of the shares that deliver more dividends and forget the price...thats my strategy these days...smll, peoples, tjl are on collection

glad

May have to consider that the share prices move & down for various reasons, not only because the company is doing well or not.
When you get dividends you are sure of getting something in hand, and if you dont need it for other purposes then you can reinvest in the same stock, and if the price is low you purchase more shares and at the right time you can sell the additional shares you purchased if you need to.
Just a thought

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum