FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Today at 9:31 am

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by bkasun Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:48 pm

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

» ASPI: Undoing GR/Covid19!
by DeepFreakingValue Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 am

» Learn CSE Rules and Regulations with the help of AI Assistant
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:47 am

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lion Leads Frontier - Why invest in Sri Lanka?

+6
Whitebull
aj
worthiness
WildBear
Rapaport
hariesha
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Slstock

Director - Equity Analytics

Though even hesitant , I have to admit there are some truthful things in your post. I can write a lot about my views on the mentality situation of the majority of Local university students . It is not that they want to be like that , it is because they are drived to be like that by a minority who can influence them. Minds of 20-25 year olds can be fragile and volatile under pressure.

But the major issue is how to solve this problem and not only talk about it. I can proudly say one thing. While I was/am active I have done everything in my grasp to act/talk sense to some misguided missiles in the Uni system. These are younger ones without understandinf what their first prioties are. Guiding them with some sensitive touch is what is needed. So much potential sadly hidden under various guises and circumstances.

We have some of the best brains but most time they are not utilized for the right reasons or actions.

aj wrote:

Sorry to say, it's nothing to do with 'western'. In western universities, students keep their spine straight and talk, question their superiors, ask why, make new inventions. Many of them send rockets in the backyard, make computers in their garage unlike many of the Sri Lankan university students protesting against this and that. Sri Lankan best students lot is conditioned to be slaves from the beginning. See https://youtu.be/ClymCgN28sw
They kneel before the seniors and when they go to government offices they don't ask why should I approve this contractor just because the minister tells me, when there are better contractors at cheap price. we should follow the tender process strictly, This contract work is very low quality, I order them stop paying and will go to courts for endangering the people. But these slaves won't do that they would stay silent before the senior officials (may be the same one or somebody else who stripped, hanged and beat them in the university)
If you have Ovitigala Vithanage Samantha like university students passing out from the Sri Lankan universities, in the government offices then they will stop, protest, follow the right process, instead of the ministers dropping the OL maths pass mark to 18 just because the ministers' children got only 18 marks or minister wants to increase 'the pass rate'. Samanthas will take lead in running an efficient bus, railway system, have daily maintenance routine so buses are clean and well maintained, they they run on schedule, that the bus won't end up corroding in a depo just because the radiator is faulty. Samanthas in Police won't allow Amare to murder or politicians to rape girls. Samanthas won't kneel before ministers just as they didn't kneel before in the university. The criminals would be locked up and the justice would prevail. Unfortunately in Sri Lankan bright students who can keep the head held high are either 2 feet under the earth like Samantha or they are driven out of the university system by those psycopath future controllers of the country.

Slstock

WildBear wrote:Im not negative at all. Im still optimistic about future of Sri Lanka, I'm saying we are wasting our opportunities, We are boasting about a 1 billion dollar FDI, while other similar countries attractingmore than ten times. We are still strugling with our economic policies, with playing fool by expropriation, while our competitors are creating favurable environment. We spend only 1.8 % of GDP for education, human resource development, while somalia spend 10%. We still have a chance if we identify our weaknesses and take corrective measures, still we are not late.

our comprtitors

Wildbear,

I have to agree with you on the contents of your post. This expropriation itself was one of the biggest mistakes in my opinion ( let not go to political reasons behind it). Sad to hear what is happening to Pelawatte and Sevanagala after the take over. I recall how much profit Pelawatte made last time they reported profit and now ?? Priorities in a developing nation should be given to education, infrastructure, transporation, friendly enviroment to business, a reasonable but stern set of policies and a decent law system.

anubis

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

@aj: one question, can you point out which government departments are run by people with a PhD / MSc???

In my opinion, a lot of problems are caused because such government departments are NOT run by people like that... all the heads are political placements and they have no clue about how to work the system. For an example, take the Z-score issue, if there was someone with a maths (stat) PhD / MSc, this issue would be responsibly resolved in no time... it's just that some idiots are fiddling around the problem without knowing how the god damn Z-score system works. We used to learn this calculation in our A/L exams, and resolving the current crisis is does not seem like a huge mathematical problem for me.

In any case, why the hell not ask some statistics lecturer from a university to deal with this problem? Why is the department of education dicking around a system they don't understand? who is the academic responsible for the current crisis? Nobody, because if there were some professor who came up with the fix, they would have come forward and justified the decision... right now it's like nobody's bitch...

So, I don't agree with the fact that government departments are run by people with MSc / PhDs... at least not by those with science degrees. And if you have a science / engineering PhD / MSc, you don't have to work in a government department or even in SL... you can get a much better job in a western country.

I just don't get where you got this idea???? and a lot of people seem to have agreed with you.... can someone please point me out which government departments are run by people with PhDs and MScs???????

Please, I beg you, point out the details for me. I'm eagerly waiting.

Cheers!

aj

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Government departments, exams department, university select committees are filled with graduates, postgraduates. They are not school leavers at year 5. They are not put there by the politicians. These people come to those positions after finishing the university and climbing up the ladder. They are the people who are making the z scores, managing the power stations, managing the railway department, CTB, central bank, not the minister, not the security guard at the ministry. Those are run by the graduates and post graduates from the 70s, 80s, 90s.

As was said, there are 2 kinds of people coming out of the the Sri Lankan education system. 0 doesn't come out.

0. Bright, creative and who keep their head held high who are either killed like Samantha or eliminated out of the education system on the first day. If we had people like this then politicians or their henchmen will not be able to do their dirty work. They will not approve or stay silent.

And the rest,
1. Psychopath sadists who eventually go to the senior levels in the government offices, education department, universities, ministries. These are the people who are supposed to plan, monitor, execute your country affairs, Yes they have degrees, diplomas, msc, phds, These university student leaders usually get the privilege to lead the country in foreign seminars, conferences and scholarships. Those privileges go to this gang. And when they go to the ministries, departments, these people are the ones who get the privilege to go for education tours, scholarships. These educated people are the people who gang up with the politicians running the country.

2. Slaves who knelt on command of the psychopaths from the first day. They will finish the university and go work under those sadists. They will keep their head down just as in universities letting the heads to whatever they want. Yes they are also educated with degrees, diplomas. They will approve anything that comes from the seniors and whisper in the private about politicians and educated has no place.

aj

Just a fact. I overheard a father talking on the phone today in the bus. He was talking about his daughter who got a high ranking in the university and was selected.
He said that he advised her to stay silent, don't try to talk as in school and keep her head down at university to avoid trouble because he knew she was a brave girl that she won't take orders from anyone, but he told her to be like she's dumb and not very intelligent. No surprise what the caller was talking about. Nice advice for the future leaders. Future is bright.

Last edited by aj on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

anubis

"Government departments, exams department, university select committees are filled with graduates, postgraduates. They are not school leavers at year 5. They are not put there by the politicians. These people come to those positions after finishing the university and climbing up the ladder. They are the people who are making the z scores, managing the power stations, managing the railway department, CTB, central bank, not the minister, not the security guard at the ministry. Those are run by the graduates and post graduates from the 70s, 80s, 90s."

Have you looked into what exact kind of graduates they are? what universities they come from? You'll be surprised to learn that only a handful of people come from respected universities or have a MSc / PhD from a good university.

Of course, if you have a degree in arts and are serving in a government department like the department of education, the stuff like the z-score mess is just inevitable. But who's responsible for placing such non-qualified people there?

My point is, there are two issues here:

1.Government departments are not run by people with "relevant" qualifications. It's called "sudussata sudusa thena deema" in sinhala, and we don't have that in SL... it's all about kissing the ass of some authority and landing a job.

2. When you have 1) nobody wants go against their superiors... they just want to keep their jobs. This is what your post should be pointing. Instead, you are insulting all the educated professionals in Sri Lanka (living inside and outside the country).

In summary, the problem is we need a system to assure that only those people with the right skills gets appointed for government departments, not ass-kissers. But how can that happen with our politicians????????

Cheers!

WildBear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaF39HcqKqg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Foriegners always have a good impression on SL, Not like aj's negative and delusional and depressed attitudes, but unfortunately Sri Lankans are still not ready to reap the benifit. Above video will tell you a story.

aj

WildBear wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaF39HcqKqg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Foriegners always have a good impression on SL, Not like aj's negative and delusional and depressed attitudes, but unfortunately Sri Lankans are still not ready to reap the benifit. Above video will tell you a story.

Foreigners have a good impression of SL. They do. This country still has enough inanimate value as a tropical paradise. Foreigners will reap the benefits, there's always opportunities. We can all work as waiters, cooks and attendants at hotels and parlours. We can guide the tourists to ancient ruins etc. As I said this country has a great future as a somewhat version of Bangkok and Phuket. I see the future as that. (I did no say it negative or positive.) Just an objective prediction. Foreigners will make the investment to build this tropical paradise as a leisure center. We can all be beach boys and beach girls. I guess that's enough for Sri Lankans. No high hopes for small minds. (I can't understand the relationship between what I said and foreigners have a good impression thing.)

Ask your parent what does it mean by Korea in Sinhalese? And think why the hell do we used that country's name for that?

aj

anubis wrote:
Have you looked into what exact kind of graduates they are? what universities they come from? You'll be surprised to learn that only a handful of people come from respected universities or have a MSc / PhD from a good university.

Of course, if you have a degree in arts and are serving in a government department like the department of education, the stuff like the z-score mess is just inevitable. But who's responsible for placing such non-qualified people there?

1.Government departments are not run by people with "relevant" qualifications. It's called "sudussata sudusa thena deema" in sinhala, and we don't have that in SL... it's all about kissing the ass of some authority and landing a job.

2. When you have 1) nobody wants go against their superiors... they just want to keep their jobs. This is what your post should be pointing. Instead, you are insulting all the educated professionals in Sri Lanka (living inside and outside the country).

What do you mean by unqualified? All the people in departments, cooperation, government are qualified and come from climbing the career ladder as always. Even those politically appointed chairman and secretary have some degree or diploma. Almost all of them are qualified and experienced. What matters is that instead of the bright creative brave minds (who are either physically killed or mentally killed or driven out by the seniors) we get these sadists on the top position ganging up with the politicos and controlling the the rest of the educated and qualified slaves.

What's wrong with arts degree? I'm in IT field, and I know for a fact that the creators of one of the popular software frameworks was built by a person with an agriculture degree. I know another professional who has a masters in dancing. Do you know Ted Turner. He must sure have a MBA or some business degree. Nope he did an arts degree. He learned Greek in university. Smile Subject does not matter anyway you hardly use what you learn at university in the job. What matters is you learned to learn.

The thing is in bus halts, in lunch rooms, on train we bash at the current politico. But there's always someone there either bandula, ravi, wimal or sarath or whoever in power. It's like barking at the moon. Because it's always the same, we suppose they were the problem for power cuts, z scores. But it's not. If Sri Lanka had bright university graduates who can keep their head held high to carry out the duties right without bending for the superiors those politicians will have no power to do whatever they do. So blame those worthless spineless graduates and their sadistic masters.

Whitebull

aj wrote:
anubis wrote:

What do you mean by unqualified? All the people in departments, cooperation, government are qualified and come from climbing the career ladder as always. Even those politically appointed chairman and secretary have some degree or diploma. Almost all of them are qualified and experienced. What matters is that instead of the bright creative brave minds (who are either physically killed or mentally killed or driven out by the seniors) we get these sadists on the top position ganging up with the politicos and controlling the the rest of the educated and qualified slaves.

What's wrong with arts degree? I'm in IT field, and I know for a fact that the creators of one of the popular software frameworks was built by a person with an agriculture degree. I know another professional who has a masters in dancing. Do you know Ted Turner. He must sure have a MBA or some business degree. Nope he did an arts degree. He learned Greek in university. Smile Subject does not matter anyway you hardly use what you learn at university in the job. What matters is you learned to learn.

The thing is in bus halts, in lunch rooms, on train we bash at the current politico. But there's always someone there either bandula, ravi, wimal or sarath or whoever in power. It's like barking at the moon. Because it's always the same, we suppose they were the problem for power cuts, z scores. But it's not. If Sri Lanka had bright university graduates who can keep their head held high to carry out the duties right without bending for the superiors those politicians will have no power to do whatever they do. So blame those worthless spineless graduates and their sadistic masters.

Do you think that we need politicians ? If so for what ?

Can you eleborate the duty of a politician ?

anubis

"...So blame those worthless spineless graduates and their sadistic masters."

This tells everything about you. So, it's the graduates that is causing all the problems in this country??????

It's because of people like you this country never moves forward. Guys like you give "pora talks" like you know the solution to every problem. It's a very sad situation in this country, "pora talks" drives everything... and majority of poor uneducated people believe into these "pora talks" because they don't know any better.

I won't comment on this thread any further. I made my point and that's the best I can do. If the majority of the people are so gullible to this kind of "pora talks", there's no point in having any faith on SL's future.

Cheers!

aj

anubis wrote:"...So blame those worthless spineless graduates and their sadistic masters."

This tells everything about you. So, it's the graduates that is causing all the problems in this country??????
Thank you.

Yes. That's the major part of the problem. The university graduates who come out of the universities in the 60s. 70s. 80s didn't disappear. They joined the government offices, departments, cooperations, companies, police, courts. Now they're heading them as inspector who could be a colombo graduate who is supposed to catch amare when he did his first murder, judge is a peradeniya graduate with a schol in MSc UK, who should send the cirimnals to court, expert panels, committees and boards who are making z scores, stock market regulation, urban development, city planning, BOI, central bank, teaching... who are have degrees, diplomas and masters from sri lankan universities and abroad.

Sri Lanka doesn't have bright people who can do what the right thing properly with the head held high. All will keep their head down eve when their seniors urinate on them. You only have educated qualified learned, who are either the psychotic perverted masters who gang up with the politicians and run the country and the rest of the slaves who knelt in front of the seniors from the day one and follow their orders and whisper in private pointing at politicians. These are your educated qualified people.

Redbulls

Redbulls

@aj,
after went through all of your comments I came to understand that you need complete rehabilitation,you seems to be affected by our educational system.

hariesha

Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics

Redbulls wrote:@aj,
after went through all of your comments I came to understand that you need complete rehabilitation,you seems to be affected by our educational system.

Yes. Frankly I opened this topic expecting a fruitful discussion and I wanted to share some topics/thoughts covered in the Acuity Investors forum. But couple of guys dragged away the topic into unwanted and unrelated areas, I think purposely.

To be frank, I am bit exhausted about this forum now.

Redbulls

Redbulls

hariesha wrote:
Redbulls wrote:@aj,

Yes. Frankly I opened this topic expecting a fruitful discussion and I wanted to share some topics/thoughts covered in the Acuity Investors forum. But couple of guys dragged away the topic into unwanted and unrelated areas, I think purposely.

To be frank, I am bit exhausted about this forum now.

When I posted the same article in the news section on 19/07/2012 only one comment was made.
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t20320-lion-leads-frontier-markets?highlight=lion

D.G.Dayaratne

Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

I never seen a minister or any other high officer made any comments in this forum.There are various seminars and public discussions in Colombo I never seen a minister or higher officer. participating

They are not worried about public interest Only worried about
money, women,and winning elections by or hook or crook

President should advice ministers to participate at least one public discussion per week report to him

Slstock

Slstock

As many come with nick names we do not really know they are here or not. Maybe here and observing silently ;-)

D.G.Dayaratne wrote:I never seen a minister or any other high officer made any comments in this forum.There are various seminars and public discussions in Colombo I never seen a minister or higher officer. participating

They are not worried about public interest Only worried about
money, women,and winning elections by or hook or crook

President should advice ministers to participate at least one public discussion per week report to him

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum