FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by D.G.Dayaratne Yesterday at 7:28 am

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Fri May 17, 2024 9:08 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Thu May 16, 2024 9:13 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by thankrishan Wed May 15, 2024 1:58 pm

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

50 Most Innovative Countries ... අපි කොහේද..?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

wiki

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Innovation Index Revealed

When you think about the most innovative countries, the U.S. and South Korea often come to mind. But what about Iceland or Iran? How do they compare?

Bloomberg Rankings recently examined more than 200 countries and sovereign regions to determine their innovation quotient. The final universe was narrowed down to 96. What follows is the top 50.

Innovation was measured by seven factors, including R&D intensity, productivity, high-tech density, researcher concentration, manufacturing capability, education levels and patent activity. The methodology, definitions and weightings are explained in the last slide.

Methodology

To create the Bloomberg Innovation Quotient, we ranked countries on a scale of 0 to 100% on seven factors. The factors and weightings are below. We derived a weighted average score for countries that had sufficient data for at least five of the seven factors. N/A indicates that the country did not have sufficient data for a particular factor. The final universe consisted of 96 countries or sovereign regions. The most recently available data were used.

The factors and weightings:

R&D intensity (20%): Research and development as a percentage of gross domestic product.

Productivity (20%): GDP per employed person, per hour worked.

High-tech density (20%): High-tech public companies -- such as aerospace and defense, biotechnology, hardware, software, semiconductors, Internet software & services and renewable energy companies -- as a percentage of publicly listed companies.

Researcher concentration (20%): R&D researchers per one million people.

Manufacturing capability (10%): Manufacturing value-added as a percentage of GDP; products with high R&D intensity (aerospace, computers pharmaceuticals, scientific instruments and electrical machinery) as a percentage of total manufactured exports.

Tertiary efficiency (5%): Enrollment ratio in all subjects for post-secondary students; tertiary graduation ratio of students who majored in science, engineering, manufacturing and construction; annual new graduates and total tertiary-degree holders as percentages of labor force.

Patent activity (5%): Resident patent filings per million population and per $1 million R&D spent.

http://www.bloomberg.com/slideshow/2013-02-01/50-most-innovative-countries.html#slide1

Arena

Think where u are. Not the country. Do some thing new by your self. Automatically country will climb the ladder.

wiki

Dear admin and Moderators,

On what ground this goes to the entertainment section

Whitebull

wiki wrote:Dear admin and Moderators,

On what ground this goes to the entertainment section
There is no General discussion board here.According to previous explanations by admin there are technical difficulties.
Earlier I suggested to rename Entertainment section as General as we already have a Entertainment Spot which is freely used by members.But it was not happened.

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics

I did not move this so will await the one who moved to respond.

But certain articles which does not fit to stock market talk right now has to be moved to news or entertainment.

I/we wanted to have a general section, but there is some issues regarding that needs to be sorted out

Slstock

Slstock

WB,
Entertainment should be left alone as a topic as it serves a purpose as I mentioned before.

I recently talked about a General section which even several who responded in the Mod team liked it , but the Tech team has soem concerns regarding abuse of political postings there. So we need to think a bit more as the focus of the forum can get shifted if more politics get posted than stock talk.

Whitebull

slstock wrote:WB,
Entertainment should be left alone as a topic as it serves a purpose as I mentioned before.

I recently talked about a General section which even several who responded in the Mod team liked it , but the Tech team has soem concerns regarding abuse of political postings there. So we need to think a bit more as the focus of the forum can get shifted if more politics get posted than stock talk.
I think having General discussion board is more worthier than having Entertainment section.And also Entertainment can be considered as part of General things.On the otherhand there is a Entertainment Spot which is freely used by our members.
There has been political discussions eventhough we do not have a General board in somewhat directly unrelated sections.I think having General board may not significantly increase the number of political discussions but it might give a PROPER SECTION to discuss these matters.Ultimately all these things are related to stock market either directly or indirectly.
Anyway this is my personal opinion for the best interest of the forum.It is up to you people Wink to decide whether it is best for the forum or not.

Slstock

Slstock

WB,

There are many sides I/we need to think from admin end including the concerns of the forum owners ( whom I have not met or not know of ). I am proponent of the General section.

GMnet I hope you see this comment also so we can discuss.

Let others also see this message.

Members, ( not targeting anyone)

Myself and admin team try to be democratic much as possible and listen to people when they make reasonable suggestions or posts. We actually will encourage it.

But on the other hand if/when they become unreasonable/one sided I/we will stop listening to not waste time.
This is just a general comment ( no targeted to anyone)

Th

Redbulls

Redbulls

@Slstock
As far as most of us concern the entertainment section as a general section no?

wiki

Thanks SLS..

If you aware once south Korea was far behind SL .. When we had per capital income of $300 they had about $ 70 and now they are talking about in $ 30,000 while we talk about in $ 2500.... You have to really study how they rose to this level ,you have to find how many patent they hold. You have to calculate how much your wealth has grown if you invested there..

If you take the world market share for products ...... ICT and mobile >one trillion dollars , other electronics items >one trillion dollars.. agriculture < 100 billion.. emerging markets are nanotechnology and bio-informatics where you have 200-300 billion world market. If we want our country to develop we have research in these fields. But it is not feasible to carry out high end semiconductor research in SL. Nanotechnology is a feasible field to research. Currently there is a public -private (to name few DIAL, MAS and TJL) partnership for development of nanotechnology in the country and they have applied for several new patent after several decades..

Number of Sri Lankan (about 75 %) who hold PhDs are living out of the country and serving other countries for R &D and we are building shops to sell these product here and dreaming of rising to level of south Korea...
Smile
If we want to develop, we need innovation.. that is why i posted this .. and this is a forum related to investment..

I dont know the thinking pattern of the person who moved this to Entertainment section but if the move was in accordance of the forum rule i agree. If so there is a serious issue in the organization structure of the forum.. I personally believe this does not deserve entertainment section...

wiki

A new report by the IPS, the country’s apex economic policy think tank, has argued that to drive the country’s innovation agenda at a national, strategic level Sri Lanka should have a ‘National Innovation Council’, and it should be chaired at the highest level by the President.

"For successful innovation policy to kick-in, it will need the firm backing of top leaders, to lend credibility to the vision and facilitate the adoption of key measures for removing bureaucratic hurdles. Other countries that have gained from innovation have taken this important step", the report released last week argues.

The report highlights that Sri Lanka now has a Ministry dedicated to technology and research that has begun several new initiatives and the ‘Sri Lanka: Emerging Wonder of Asia’ document makes specific mention of the importance of science, technology and innovation to enhance international competitiveness.

But, Sri Lanka’s high-tech exports were only around 1.8% on average over the last decade while Thailand recorded 27%, Malaysia over 50% and Korea 75%. While the need to increase both public and private sector spending on R&D goes without saying, the report emphasizes that "innovation is distinct from just research and it doesn’t autonomously result from it. The nexus of industry-research collaborations, appropriate financing options, and support for commercialization are vital drivers to move research to innovation".

The report has welcomed the generous fiscal incentives now being offered to the private sector to engage in R&D especially via state research institutions, but warns that the lack of capacity in these agencies and labs could constrain making full use of these.

Co-author of the new report, IPS Research Economist Anushka Wijesinha, speaking to the Island Financial Review said, "Aside from the obvious policy priorities – like increasing the R&D expenditure and building a qualified science, technology and math talent pool – other aspects like attracting Diaspora scientists back to the country as well as injecting more life into the venture capital arena are also very important in driving innovation".

The report has noted the importance of rewarding and recognizing innovations. "In an environment where there are award schemes for nearly everything in Sri Lanka, it is high time that a Presidential National Innovation Awards scheme is introduced to promote and recognize successful innovations, particularly those that have resulted from industry-research collaborations", the report says.

"Innovation is not just research. Innovation is not just about encouraging people to invent things. It’s about this plus a lot more. It’s about creating an eco-system for innovation, giving the right support for techno-entrepreneurship. We need to look at innovation policy holistically. We must also remember that, at the end of the day, innovation comes from individuals and firms, not from government policies. So there needs to be an overall good business climate that encourages the private sector to take risks and be innovative. The government has taken positive steps towards this. Now it’s time for both parties to work together to see what more can be done to drive innovation. The national nanotechnology initiative is a fantastic example of how this is already working well," Wijesinha said.

The report is titled ‘Fostering Innovation to Fast-forward Growth in Sri Lanka’.

http://www.island.lk/index.php?page_cat=article-details&page=article-details&code_title=71890

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum