FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Today at 8:42 pm

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by thankrishan Today at 6:12 pm

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Today at 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Today at 12:18 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by ChooBoy Fri May 10, 2024 5:29 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Interest rates down and CFVF

+16
WildBear
Takecharge
sandunj
seek
econ
zenobia
pathfinder
Chinwi
Child
malanp
Backstage
suja
smallville
Redbulls
balapas
rainmaker
20 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Interest rates down and CFVF Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:05 pm

rainmaker

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Will affect CFVF for some years to come. Actually the future potential for First Capital is now lower.

http://www.treasury.gov.lk/reports/annualreport/2012/6-FinacingBudget.pdf

P213 graph and table 

2Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:15 pm

balapas

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

@ rainmaker. I admire your research capabilities. I had to edit the message several times since was thinking about this. Would like to clarify since these are figures ending Dec 2012, the treasury bill figure maturing in 2013 and 2014 should increase with the new bills issued and to be issued during 2013 & 2014?.

Last edited by balapas on Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:34 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Change of words)

3Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:37 pm

Redbulls

Redbulls
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics

rainmaker wrote:Will affect CFVF for some years to come. Actually the future potential for First Capital is now lower.

http://www.treasury.gov.lk/reports/annualreport/2012/6-FinacingBudget.pdf

P213 graph and table 

That's the thing you divest your stake?

4Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:44 pm

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

Interest rates down adversely effect CFVF???

5Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:35 am

rainmaker

Low interest rates have an impact on CFVFs ability to create profit next year

It also seems the structure of the debt would be changed from t bonds to SLDB debt denominated in US$.

6Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:10 pm

suja

Hi Rainmaker,

Can you elaborate as to why CFVF can not make profit in a low interest enviorenment. As I know they had some of their best years when the interest rates came down. How ever when it went up the profits were down. Page 213 does not explain anything about the CFVF business. Maybe you know something.

Look forward to your comments.

7Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:26 pm

rainmaker

You answered your own question. They make money when rates go down. 

Usually when a lot of funds are raised rates go up. But the CB seems determined to keep rates low to free up more funds for other budget allocations. Very Happy

8Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:47 pm

smallville

smallville

This is not clear.. Can u put in black n white.. 

If interest rates are down, is it favourable or unfavourable for CFVF?

9Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:56 pm

rainmaker

Dropping interest rates are good 

Increasing interest rates are bad

If rates suddenly go up CFVF will have losses since they still have a large portfolio.

10Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:11 pm

Backstage

Backstage

rainmaker wrote:Dropping interest rates are good 

Increasing interest rates are bad

If rates suddenly go up CFVF will have losses since they still have a large portfolio.

What a complicated way to say nothing Suspect

11Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 pm

suja

very ..... so based on this, this year will be good for the company. So I do not know the object of your mail rainmaker. Are you talking value investing and keeping this till next year. I am trying to help you here.

12Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:21 am

malanp

suja wrote:very ..... so based on this, this year will be good for the company. So I do not know the object of your mail rainmaker. Are you talking value investing and keeping this till next year. I am trying to help you here.

rainmaker just gave the hint, you need to see how CFVF earn its interest income and pay interest expense.
carry out a detail research then you will understand

13Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:36 am

Backstage

Backstage

Us lay folk have to keep reading between the lines to decipher to riddles of the knowledgeable ones. Some talk straight up (Slstock, Chinwi, Antonym,Stumpy,Arena,Alchemist,Gann,Sriranga ect)
Others are trying to work out their growing up issues by teasing people with less knowledge.
Just an observation, I am not bitter, but trying to read between the lines, as knowledge, whatever the packaging is still knowledge.   Smile

14Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:14 pm

rainmaker

When you buy a bond you can hold it to maturity or sell it before maturity

If the rates go up after you bought the bond you will make losses

If the rates go down after you bought the bond you will make profits

So CFVF has made profits because he rates have gone down. 

But the rates could go up given the maturity profile for t bonds for this year.

15Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:28 pm

Backstage

Backstage

AAh thanks rainman, glad you dindnt take ofence at my jibes, thats the spirit of community.cheers

re CFVF. wouldnt that have to be calculated with the specific Bond/Bill profile and matched with the possible the possible rate scenarios forward ? or have you already done that or is this an off the cuff observation ?
Thanks for giving time for the unsophisticated. Smile

16Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:15 am

Child

Child
Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

When dividends declare ?

17Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:39 am

suja

Malanp, We should not go by hints. We need to understand the business first before investing. Please read my mails before if you wish to get some idea. CFVF is cyclical business which is tied to the interest rates of the country. My question was if the company has done well last FY will they pay a devident as they have paid a RS.2 last year when they were not doing well.

Also understand the parent CSEC and the holding of individual shareholders and comments they have made in the annual report.

18Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:58 am

malanp

Suja

I think CFVF business model is little complex.

a detail study is required to assess the future, how they earn interest, pay interest and how it is affected by the change of interest rate, up or down.

there was a thread on cfvf and rainmaker mentioned how they do business, if you have time just search and read it.

19Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:49 am

Backstage

Backstage

My understanding from what Chinwi and Alchemist have posted in earlier thread is that its profitability is invariably  tied with the interest rate cycle. And every few years the all the factors come together that enables CFVF to cash in. If market sentiments are also positive it adds more potential to the upside of the price. So as with cyclic stocks you enter when the said conditions are  coming together and exit when it starts to peak, not hold for more profits in the future.
However my understanding is that its portfolio mix of bills and bonds is much the same as it was when they made a packet in the last cycle, but was wondering if Rainmakers was hinting that it was not so.

20Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:35 am

Chinwi

Chinwi

As you are talking much about this share may I contribute what I think; Just what I think only.

මට නම් දැනෙන විදියට dropping interest rates  next year - CFVF සඳහා යහපත් වෙනු ඇත.

" Low interest rates have an impact on CFVFs ability to create profit next year. " මේ කියන දේ එලෙසම පිළිගත නොහැක
 නමුත් වෙන කතාවක් ඇත .

විස්තරය:

CFVF දැනට  තමන් සතු  බොන්ඩ් / බිල්  අයිතියෙන් 60% ක්ම ගත්තේ පසු ගිය මාස 12 තුල දිය .  ( ඒවා මැදි කාලින ඒවා යයි උපකල්පනය කරමිපරණ පුරුද්දට අනුව ඉන් බාගයක් වත් මැදිදිගුකාලින බොන්ඩ් වේඑනම්  තව  කාර්තු කිහිපයක් යනතෙක් වත් එම බොන්ඩ් ප්රතිලාභ අගය නොවෙනස්ව ලැබේ. මේ වසරේ හා ලබන වසරේ  පොලි අනුපාත අඩු වුව හොත් ඔවුන ගත්  ණය  සඳහා ගෙවන පොලිය ක්රමයෙන් අඩුවන බැවින් ඉදිරි වසර 2013/14 පාඩු නොව වාසි දායක වේ. එම නිසා “dropping interest rates  next year “ - CFVF සඳහා යහපත් වෙනු ඇත.

ඉන්පසු නැවත අනාගතයේදී නියමාකාර ලෙස පොලි අනුපාත ඉහල යනවිට එයට මුහුණ දීමේ හැකියාව ඔවුන් සතු විය යුතුය. කල් පිරෙන බොන්ඩ් මුදල් වලින්  ණය ගෙවා නැවත ඉහල පොලියට ණය (Repo) හා අඩු ප්රතිලාභ සහිත භාණ්ඩාගාර බිල් නොගෙන සිටීම එක පියවරකි. 2011 දී  මෙසේ සිදු කෙරිණි . දස අවුරුදු ප්රගතිය බලන්න

කෙසේ වුවත්  2009 කාලයේ ලත් අත් දැකීම එලෙසින්ම මෙවර බලාපොරොත්තු වීමට හැකිදැයි සැක සහිතය . 2007/8 තිබු ඉහල භාණ්ඩාගාර බිල්පත්  පොලි අනුපාතයේ (19%<)   සිට 2009/10 දක්වා දක්නට ලැබුණු වූ බැංකු පොලි අනුපාත වල දැවැන්ත  අඩුවීම මෙවර ඇති නොවේ.  එලෙස අඩුවීමට තරම් ඉහල පොලි අනුපාතයක් නොපැවතුනු බැවිනි.   අනුව  බලාපොරොත්තු අදායම් ගණනය කිරීම නුවනට හුරුය. 2008/9 කාලයේ නිකුත් කල ඉහල ප්රතිලාභ සහිත දිගු කාලින බොන්ඩ් උපරිමය 4 වසර ඒව බැවින් දැන් ඒවා කල් පිරි හමාරය . (නමුත් ඔවුන් 2009   පෙර  කාලයේ ගත 20% වැනි  දිගු කාලින බොන්ඩ් සැහෙන ප්රමාණයක් තවදුරටත් නොමැරී පවතී නම් මෙම උපකල්පනය වෙනස් වන අතර ඉන් ඉදිරි වසර කිහිපය තුල සැහෙන ලාබයක් ලබා ගනු ඇත.) මහබැංකු වාර්තා පරිශීලනයෙන් එවැනි නිකුතු ගැන නිවැරදිව සොයා ගැනීමට මා හට අපහසු විය .

එම නිසා  මේ  rainmaker කියන්න තැත්කළ දෙයෙහි නියම අරුත දැනගත යුත්තේ විශේෂයෙන් නව ආයෝජකයින් නොව 2008/9 කාලය තුල ලැබූ  අත්දැකීම් මත යලිත් එවැනිම අධික ලාබ අපේක්ෂිතව සිහින මවමින් ඉන්න අය ය.  ( 2010 dividend > 2009 traded price !) 

2013  CFVF නිසැකවම හොඳින්  ලාබ ලබන අතර සැහෙන ලාබ බෙදීමක් ලබා දෙනු ඇත.  නමුත් පොලි අනුපාත වල අඩුවීම කලින් වාරයේ මෙන්  විශාල බලපෑමක් කරන මට්ටමක නැති නිසා අදායම් ප්රතිශතය අනුපාත වෙනසට සාපේක්ෂව පමණක්  අපේක්ෂා කල යුතුය.  එසේ සිද්ධ වන්නේ පොලිය අඩුවීම නිසා නොව අඩුවීමට කලින් මේ වර ලොකු පොලියක් දෙන බිල්පත් මිලට ගැනීමට නොතිබුන නිසාය. මෙය වඩාත්ම බල පාන්නේ 2014  හා ඉන්  පසුව විය හැක.

එම නිසා , මට නම් දැනෙන විදියට “dropping interest rates  next year” - CFVF සඳහා යහපත් වෙනු ඇති නමුත් එම අඩුවීම විශාල පරාසයක නැති බැවින් දැවැන්ත ලාබයක් අපේක්ෂා කිරීම දැනට ඇති දත්ත අනුව අපහසුය

නමුත්  ඔවුනගේ වෙනත් ව්යාපාර මගින් එන ලාභයේ වැඩිවීමක් අපේක්ෂා කරන අතර ඉන් යහපත් බලපෑමක් ලැබිමෙන් හා වෙනත් ආයෝජන  වල අගය වැඩිවීම , දැනට නොගෙන සිටින ලාබ (unrealized) ඉදිරියේදී ගෙන  පෙන්වීම් යනාදිය නිසා අවසාන ලාභය අප නොසිතු ලෙස ඉහල යාමටද අවස්ථාව ඇත.
 Note:
නවතම කාර්තුවේ ලාභය අප නොසිතු තරම් විය.  
පසුගිය කාර්තුවේ (2013 Jan-Mar)කොටසක ඉපයීම EPS (1   3 කොටස් බෙදීමට පෙර සැලකුවහොත්) 2.61 x  3 = Rs. 7.80 .   මෙය අති සාර්ථක වූ 2010 සමස්ත වසරේ EPS අදායමින් 45% කි. (Rs. 17.40)

---

@ UKBoy , Thanks.

@ pathfinder , got it ?

21Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:54 am

Backstage

Backstage

Got it.

ඔවුනගේ වෙනත් ව්යාපාර මගින් එන ලාභයේ ?

22Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:32 pm

Chinwi

Chinwi

Backstage wrote:Got it.

ඔවුනගේ වෙනත් ව්යාපාර මගින් එන ලාභයේ ?

In 2011 share trading profit 180 million 2012 zero, 2012 Margin trading income 113 million.
No data for this year.
With the arrival of new CEO they are changing their business formation.  They are diverting their interests to other ventures. Within next few years bond trading will become only a part of their business.

23Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:45 pm

Backstage

Backstage

Thanks Chinwi that's very interesting. Is there any truth to the story that the whole group is re structuring soon ?

24Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:18 pm

pathfinder

pathfinder

@Chinwi-thanks for your valuable comment.

My broker told me cfvf is going to invest in a leather company soon,so the dividened might not be so high.please check with your broker.

25Interest rates down and CFVF Empty Re: Interest rates down and CFVF Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:51 pm

Chinwi

Chinwi

Backstage wrote:Thanks Chinwi that's very interesting. Is there any truth to the story that the whole group is re structuring soon ?

pathfinder wrote:@Chinwi-thanks for your valuable comment.

My broker told me cfvf is going to invest in a leather company soon,so the dividend might not be so high.please check with your broker.

They should invest in other things due to the cyclic nature of TB business. I also heard about some positive changes. No direct info yet.

If low dividends this time, I like it. Actually from the beginning I did not go after dividends. I am a long term investor and I hate big % of dividends/profit.
I want small and medium size companies with good abilities to invest more in their proven businesses and achieve growth for us. That way we get more return than from dividends and we can have fair number of shares in highly valued companies in years to come. Then they can give better dividends without affecting its growth .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum