FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Fri May 17, 2024 9:08 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Thu May 16, 2024 9:13 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by thankrishan Wed May 15, 2024 1:58 pm

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by ChooBoy Fri May 10, 2024 5:29 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

What you all think about CINV now?

+6
ShareShares
BullionStock
seyon
sapumal
RockStock
smallville
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What you all think about CINV now? Empty What you all think about CINV now? Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:00 pm

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

CINV is part of Carsons group and is a star performer too. It engages in investment holding and portfolio management. The Company has investments in sectors such as beverage, food and tobacco, hotels and travel, telecommunications, power and energy, and healthcare,etc.. The investment portfolio of the Company is managed by Guardian Fund Management Limited.

Earnings;
2008 - Rs.257 mn
2009 - Rs.240 mn
2010 - Rs.989 mn
PAT of Rs.1,085 mn for the half year ended 30 September, 2010, a growth of Rs.153% from the comparative figure of Rs. 429 mn reported for the same period last year

top five investments as of 2010 annual report;
Mkt Value % of
Company Name s. mn Portfolio
1 John Keells Holdings 502 20%
2 Aitken Spence 364 15%
3 Commercial Bank 291 12%
4 Hatton Nation Bank 282 11%
5 AHUN 193 08%

Six months ended September 30, 2010 we see an EPS of 56.17 and qtr ended EPS of 39.72..from last qtr reports..
Looking at the stockastics, it can go down a little and its good to enter around 135-137 it seems..
http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/charts/charts.asp?ticker=CINV:SL

How about the financial performance of this, can anyone analyse?
Do u all see this as an emrging counter?

2What you all think about CINV now? Empty Re: What you all think about CINV now? Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:44 pm

RockStock

Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

Apparently it's portfolio has some of the best Blue Chips. If we assume ASI and in particularly MPI will perform consitently in next few years, yes this will be a star performer. I think they have collected those shares at very low prices before early 2010 when the market was stagnating.

3What you all think about CINV now? Empty Re: What you all think about CINV now? Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:13 pm

sapumal

Vice President - Equity Analytics

What to say men,

BUKI,JKH,banking shares not moving.

4What you all think about CINV now? Empty Re: What you all think about CINV now? Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:21 pm

seyon

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Hi smallville
It is good to see you in this forum....

It annualized EPS (after split) is Rs.22 and Investment sector PER is 22.8 times. Therefore the value would be (22 X 22.Cool is Rs.500. However PER multiples of Investment sector is high, since some company in this sector has high PER (Eg.GREG), that is reason the sector PER reported 22.8 times. However even if you discounts PER by 50% to get fair adjustment the CINV value would be (22 X 11.4) Rs. 250. Therefore there is high chances the price will get move up.

Further it has unique feature in its Investment portfolio

CINV total portfolio is Rs. 7.2 Bn including investment in Sri Lanka Fund (USD fund targeting foreign investor) amounts Rs.151Mn and the carrying value of investment Rs.3.1Bn in associate company Rubber Investment Trust Company, which has a stake of 20% in BUKI. (In Financial statement investment in associate is been reported in Carrying Value as per SLAS, However the fair value of investment is Rs.9.8Bn that reflects BUKI market value).Further CINV has short term investment in different sectors amounts to Rs.733Mn.

5What you all think about CINV now? Empty Re: What you all think about CINV now? Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:47 pm

BullionStock

BullionStock
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

seyon wrote:
Hi smallville

It annualized EPS (after split) is Rs.22 and Investment sector PER is 22.8 times. Therefore the value would be (22 X 22.Cool is Rs.500. However PER multiples of Investment sector is high, since some company in this sector has high PER (Eg.GREG), that is reason the sector PER reported 22.8 times. However even if you discounts PER by 50% to get fair adjustment the CINV value would be (22 X 11.4) Rs. 250. Therefore there is high chances the price will get move up.

CINV total portfolio is Rs. 7.2 Bn including investment in Sri Lanka Fund (USD fund targeting foreign investor) amounts Rs.151Mn and the carrying value of investment Rs.3.1Bn in associate company Rubber Investment Trust Company, which has a stake of 20% in BUKI. (In Financial statement investment in associate is been reported in Carrying Value as per SLAS, However the fair value of investment is Rs.9.8Bn that reflects BUKI market value).Further CINV has short term investment in different sectors amounts to Rs.733Mn.

Seyon ,

Appreciate if you can explain why we use sector PER finally to calculate the share price.. As you said above correctly in some sectors , PER value is very high , but best performing companies maintain low PER if I am not mistaken. Please correct me if I am wrong ..

Please reply to me on the following thread :
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t388-why-sector-per-used-to-calculate-the-market-price

6What you all think about CINV now? Empty Re: What you all think about CINV now? Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:36 pm

sapumal

hey
CINV,GUAR top investment is BUKI (through RITL)

RITL is the top shareholder of BUKI (20.04%)

RITL
GUAR - 51%
CINV -49%

7What you all think about CINV now? Empty Re: What you all think about CINV now? Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:32 am

sapumal

WOwwWW,

RITL had 2Mn BUKI shares before division. Price was around Rs8000. After adjusting to BUKI market price RITL has 16bn investments in BUKI

CINV - 8bN
GUAR - 8Bn

8What you all think about CINV now? Empty Re: What you all think about CINV now? Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:58 am

ShareShares

BUKI, CINV, GUAR, all Banking and Finance shares, JKH, always remain as strong shares, that is true, they progress slowly. There is no obvious rapid price movement within days, actually all banking and finance shares and those mentioned shares are moving very slowly. Medium term prospects are good and the corporate results are consistent with their progress. Thanks smallville you have got some financially strong shares with better future earnings. Short term, these shares are not attractive, it takes a long period of time to display a real progress based on progressive financial reports.

9What you all think about CINV now? Empty sector wise PER Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:34 am

upuldi

upuldi
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

just need to ask a real stupid question ..
How do u guys get the sector wise PER values ? As per the [url=CSE]http://www.cse.lk/sectors/sectorSummary.htm[/url] the investment sector PER is 28.10. I was referring there all the time. Please verify.

10What you all think about CINV now? Empty Re: What you all think about CINV now? Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:07 am

seyon

BullionStock wrote:
seyon wrote:

Seyon ,

Appreciate if you can explain why we use sector PER finally to calculate the share price.. As you said above correctly in some sectors , PER value is very high , but best performing companies maintain low PER if I am not mistaken. Please correct me if I am wrong ..

Please reply to me on the following thread :
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t388-why-sector-per-used-to-calculate-the-market-pHirice

Hi BullionStock

For Stock picking PER is an ideal tool to start After identifying companies which trade at low multiples and comparing with its sectors those shares may present an optimal investment opportunity. Now you would take the example CINV is trading in PE multiples of 7 times while GREG in the same sector trading at 75 times ( since the reason may be GREG is Speculative) . That is reason sector PE reflects 29 times as an average. Therefore If u value the share with sector PE it wont reflect the fair value...then you have to discount it to reflect the fair value.... CINV and GUAR are lowest PER in the sectors... therefore still there is chance the price to go up.....

You would compare the SECTOR PER and Market PER if ur selected companies are lowest PE multiples there is high chance the price to move up. provided that the companies should have growth and potential in the industry... since we should see the future growth rather than the past records...

Happy Trading

11What you all think about CINV now? Empty Re: What you all think about CINV now? Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:40 pm

sapumal

seyon,

"PE of a investment trust" don't have any meaning bcs investment trust doesn't have a core business. Income is very random

"PE of a investment trust"
a topic belongs to history ........

12What you all think about CINV now? Empty Re: What you all think about CINV now? Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:51 pm

BullionStock

BullionStock
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

upuldi wrote:just need to ask a real stupid question ..
How do u guys get the sector wise PER values ? As per the [url=CSE]http://www.cse.lk/sectors/sectorSummary.htm[/url] the investment sector PER is 28.10. I was referring there all the time. Please verify.

upuldi,

the given url doesnot work.

appreciate if you can verify the link again. Thanks

13What you all think about CINV now? Empty Re: What you all think about CINV now? Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:42 pm

upuldi

upuldi
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Hi

this is the link..

http://www.cse.lk/sectors/sectorSummary.htm

please verify.. Thank you... Smile

14What you all think about CINV now? Empty Re: What you all think about CINV now? Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:54 pm

BullionStock

BullionStock
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

yep Smile

thanks mate . It works

I will do my own study now on some target valuations..

15What you all think about CINV now? Empty Re: What you all think about CINV now? Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:41 am

hasi84

hasi84

seyon wrote:
Hi smallville

You cant value an investment fund using PER, you need to value it using NAV. I havent looked at the share in much detail but if you gonna value the share I would recommend calculating the market value of its portfolio.

16What you all think about CINV now? Empty Re: What you all think about CINV now? Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:52 am

smallville

smallville

Hasi84,

Appreciate if you could lay down some figures if u have time to go thru this.. I was even feeling that its too much valued goin on normal analysis..

Seyon,
If you can even try out Hasi's method it would be wonderful..

Thanks Guys..

17What you all think about CINV now? Empty Re: What you all think about CINV now? Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:48 pm

seyon

smallville wrote:Hasi84,

Appreciate if you could lay down some figures if u have time to go thru this.. I was even feeling that its too much valued goin on normal analysis..

Seyon,
If you can even try out Hasi's method it would be wonderful..

Thanks Guys..

Yes true Smallville

As per 30th September financial the book value was Rs.77 and the Market value was Rs.145... I think that as per December quarter and coming quarters the mkt value would in the range of Rs.180 -200 .... As per my this would be solid investment.....

Happy Trading

18What you all think about CINV now? Empty Re: What you all think about CINV now? Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:16 pm

smallville

smallville

Seyon,

Tru enuf, I just bought some more today even.. but I'm more concerned abt the investment portfolio they have. .those are blue chips and top companies they've invested in..
Do us a small favour.. just if u can elaborate the cost of investment VS market value of it now would be enuf to justify the investment in CINV..
I had a look at their last financial report which made me this a choice.. hope the're gonna continue it ;-)
Pls update us if u can spare some time..

Thanks.

19What you all think about CINV now? Empty Re: What you all think about CINV now? Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:40 pm

ShareShares

CINV and LCEY continue to remain as a value investment in the portfolio.

20What you all think about CINV now? Empty cinv Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:09 am

nal 78

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

hi seyon
good to see you in this forum
i have collected cinv guar cars buki fair amount
thanks for your advice bounce

21What you all think about CINV now? Empty Re: What you all think about CINV now? Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:18 am

seyon

nal 78 wrote:hi seyon
good to see you in this forum
i have collected cinv guar cars buki fair amount
thanks for your advice bounce

Thanks nal 78... Those will really help you to build up a strong portfolio. In coming quarters. you would see attractive results from these companies....

Happy Trading

22What you all think about CINV now? Empty Re: What you all think about CINV now? Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:35 am

Soundchips

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Next three to six months CSE would gradually settle in to financially strong shares when they release corporate earnings.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum