FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by D.G.Dayaratne Today at 7:28 am

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Fri May 17, 2024 9:08 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Thu May 16, 2024 9:13 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by thankrishan Wed May 15, 2024 1:58 pm

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Removal of arrival visa

+4
Investor99
micky
aladdin
Marketinvest
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Removal of arrival visa Empty Removal of arrival visa Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:19 am

Marketinvest

Marketinvest
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

I guess hotel sector will be in deep shit, when this happens in the future

2Removal of arrival visa Empty Re: Removal of arrival visa Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:25 am

aladdin

aladdin

Marketinvest wrote:I guess hotel sector will be in deep shit, when this happens in the future

You cant simple tell like that. Please elaborate the reasons behind your comment. I would counter argue with you that by doing this, the hotels will have quality tourists rather than budget tourists and south Indian shits who cook parata on the Ironing machine at the hotel room.

3Removal of arrival visa Empty Re: Removal of arrival visa Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:35 am

Marketinvest

Marketinvest

The main reason is , when the govt stops arrival visa in Sri Lanka, the tourist arrival will some what reduce Further they will find out alternative destinations which provides them tourist visa. When this happens the revenue of the hotels can come down. This is the main point i see.

4Removal of arrival visa Empty Re: Removal of arrival visa Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:49 am

aladdin

aladdin

Marketinvest wrote:The main reason is , when the govt stops arrival visa in Sri Lanka, the tourist arrival will some what reduce Further they will find out alternative destinations which provides them tourist visa. When this happens the revenue of the hotels can come down. This is the main point i see.

Brother when we talk about the tourism in Sri Lanka we have to 1st identify what is our market space among are competitors. Our main threats are Maldives with their white sandy beaches, India with their massive cultural exposure with historic places, Singapore with their entertainment and shopping experience, then comes Malaysia with their almost identical tourism to Sri Lanka. Malaysia being the market leader with more than 30million tourists visiting their country each ear and more than 25% of them being Chinese, they do not have a open visa for china. But still they have managed to secure their place in the industry. When a country is growing with economic stability and infra, many none developed country citizens try to come and settle down. Same happened to Singapore with the mongolian crowed coming and settling down until they introduced the visa strategy of having 25us$ per day to give visas. Although it is not practiced anymore, that is how they addressed the problem.

Now when thinking back about the market space in this industry, what sri lankan has its own unique ? is it wild life ? no Africa has got it. Then is it north east white sand beaches ?? no Maldives has got it. Is it a tropical climet ? no Malaysia has got it. Then is it the historic value ?? no India and Nepal got it more than us. Then what does we got unique ?? do you agree if i say the uniqueness is what Sri Lanka got is that its all the above mentioned categories compacted in one island ? Therefore they typical market segment we should address i the tourist who wants to see and experience all these things in a short term. Those tourists mainly plan their tour well ahead. Most of the time they plan it via a tourist agent. So online visa facility is not an extra burden for them.

When thinking of a business , think about the market scope , the segment and the market space. Then do the SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opertunities and Threats) analyze without just making negative comments about all the steps taken to secure the industries and the country.

5Removal of arrival visa Empty Re: Removal of arrival visa Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:58 am

Marketinvest

Marketinvest

Bro its not about me giving negative comments. According to my opinion hotel sector will surely have a impact on this, when it becomes official. We can wait and watch

6Removal of arrival visa Empty Re: Removal of arrival visa Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:04 am

aladdin

aladdin

Marketinvest wrote:Bro its not about me giving negative comments. According to my opinion hotel sector will surely have a impact on this, when it becomes official. We can wait and watch

Yes hotels will have an impact. But a positive impact because it will be limited on cheap tourist arrival. And the impact on national security is much more greater. I have explained my view in detail. Rather than just covering ur statement with a saying to say wait and watch i expected a lengthier rational from you

7Removal of arrival visa Empty Re: Removal of arrival visa Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:10 am

Marketinvest

Marketinvest

Their is noting to cover my on my statement. I am talking a fact , most of the quoted hotels will face the impact. This is my opinion

8Removal of arrival visa Empty Re: Removal of arrival visa Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:12 am

aladdin

aladdin

Marketinvest wrote:Their is noting to cover my on my statement. I am talking a fact , most of the quoted hotels will face the impact. This is my opinion

does not agree with you. You have failed to convince me with your opinion. Common brother, shoot some nice hoots for me to get convinced with your opinion... lets make this topic a valuable one.. Basketball Basketball

9Removal of arrival visa Empty Re: Removal of arrival visa Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:18 am

Marketinvest

Marketinvest

No bro my objective is not convince u. And i do not give any recommendation as my signature below. My idea is purely based on my logical evaluation which i have already told

10Removal of arrival visa Empty Re: Removal of arrival visa Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:21 am

aladdin

aladdin

Marketinvest wrote:No bro my objective is not convince u. And i do not give any recommendation as my signature below. My idea is purely based on my logical evaluation which i have already told

Recommendation is what you call a buy sell or a hold signal. But neither you nor me have elaborate on any share name or a symbol. We were discussing about a sector and an external effect or impact on the sector. Therefore there is nothing to hesitate. Lets have a valid discussion about this sector. Common shoot with facts brother.. i am not taking this a joke. I am damn serious. Tourism is the future prospects of SL.

11Removal of arrival visa Empty Re: Removal of arrival visa Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:27 am

Marketinvest

Marketinvest

Me too not joking. Tourism is the future accepted. But as far as i know this move will have a significant impact due to this move. It will be evident soon

12Removal of arrival visa Empty Re: Removal of arrival visa Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:30 am

aladdin

aladdin

Marketinvest wrote:Me too not joking. Tourism is the future accepted. But as far as i know this move will have a significant impact due to this move. It will be evident soon

ok ok so to Conclude i have to say you are just wearing a tinted pair of spectacles and looking at the problem rather than coming up with enough proof or arguments. Thanks for your time brother..

13Removal of arrival visa Empty Re: Removal of arrival visa Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:37 am

Marketinvest

Marketinvest

If Thats what u think, thats ur problem brother. I cant help it. The proof and the arguments are clearly evident, its how u understand it. Thanks for ur time too brother.

14Removal of arrival visa Empty Re: Removal of arrival visa Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:24 am

micky

micky
Manager - Equity Analytics

this is wat i think

On arrival visa cancelation decision will affect tourism industry in short term. coz majority of tourists from India. (People with Asian expenditure pattern). But it is good for national security. (As a short term solution). Sri Lanka must attract Europe tourists. No use of saying number of tourist just counting heads, we need to increase the total income.

But when implementing cancellation government did not think too much, we should not cancel on arrival visa to Europe countries. They do not like to bother to get visa. Simply they do not like bother with Europeans attitude.
In long term this will not affect hotel industry, cancellation of on arrival visa to some countries is a really good decision.

15Removal of arrival visa Empty Re: Removal of arrival visa Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:02 am

Investor99

I think most of you’ll are missing the point. There are different kinds of tourist the budget tourist, the not so rich tourist, the very rich tourist, the adventure tourist etc. The plain truth is Sri Lankan economy needs all these categories of tourists. So it will develop the tourist industries at each macro level. The issue of visa needs to be regulated but as much as possible we need to provide visa on arrival so it will make it hassle free for the traveller. Just imagine if you have to spend two working days to get a visa. So these two days would be reduced from your vacation. As the embassies in big countries are located in the city’s so the travel needs to go to the city to get the visa, just imagine the hassle the tourist need to undergo. For me if this is the case I will prefer to visit a country that provides visa on arrival or provides a visa with multiple entry. Cancelation of the visa on arrival poly will definitely have a negative impact on the hotel industry and in the economy as a whole in the long run. There are lots of other countries that offer what Sri Lanka can offer the tourist so think about it .........

We need to learn to look at thing in broader perspective

This is not a buy/sell/hold recommendation please do your own analysis before investing.

16Removal of arrival visa Empty Re: Removal of arrival visa Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:26 pm

mark

mark
Expert
Expert

Marketinvest wrote:If Thats what u think, thats ur problem brother. I cant help it. The proof and the arguments are clearly evident, its how u understand it. Thanks for ur time too brother.

*you just put two or three words in a post and not giving facts,and also noted putting odd posts about PAP
ex-
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t6096-panasian-power-plc-pap#41132

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t6311-pap-pap-pap#42253

so as you are a new comer,like to give you a advise -please aware what you say and be complied to forum rules..

good luck

Last edited by mark on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : deleted accordingly)

17Removal of arrival visa Empty Re: Removal of arrival visa Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 pm

Rajaraam

Vice President - Equity Analytics

Have anyone got tourists arival figures for the month of may and june. What I heard was not good .There is a drop in may tourists from some european countries. Total has increase due to increased larger number of tourists from south asian countries who are mainly visit to stay one or two days for shopping etc.Those tourists won't help the growth of our hotel industry and other related services.

18Removal of arrival visa Empty Re: Removal of arrival visa Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:24 pm

mark_fernando

Stock Trader

Rajaraam wrote:Have anyone got tourists arival figures for the month of may and june. What I heard was not good .There is a drop in may tourists from some european countries. Total has increase due to increased larger number of tourists from south asian countries who are mainly visit to stay one or two days for shopping etc.Those tourists won't help the growth of our hotel industry and other related services.

Raja,

Tourist arrivals to Sri Lanka rose 39 percent to 48,000 in May 2011 from a year earlier, led by increases in visitors from India and East Asia, data from the tourist promotion office showed.

Last year arrivals rose 46 percent after a 30-year war ended. In the five months to May arrivals are so far up 40.2 percent to 327,902 from a year earlier.

In May visitors from India rose 55 percent to 16,649 driving arrivals from South Asia up 53 percent to 21,016.

East Asian visitors rose 66 percent 6,605, with across the board increases in most countries. Chinese visitors rose 100 percent to 1,337, while those from Japan rose 43 percent to 1,054, Malaysia was up 57 percent to 1,194 and Thailand was up 179 percent to 785.
Arrivals from Western Europe rose 17.4 percent to 12,419 with French visitors rising 81 percent to 2,758.

Visitors from Britain fell 0.4 percent to 4,452 while German arrivals rose a modest 3.2 percent to 2,137.

19Removal of arrival visa Empty Re: Removal of arrival visa Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:34 pm

Rajaraam

Thank u mark_fernando. You have given details more than I expected. Very useful data to analize the trend.

20Removal of arrival visa Empty Re: Removal of arrival visa Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:53 pm

chamillion

chamillion
Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

also consider the fact that National Security should given highest priority. Evaluation and identification of those who work against the country is easier with online visas and so can prevent them entering the country

21Removal of arrival visa Empty Re: Removal of arrival visa Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:57 am

aladdin

aladdin

Investor99 wrote:I think most of you’ll are missing the point. There are different kinds of tourist the budget tourist, the not so rich tourist, the very rich tourist, the adventure tourist etc. The plain truth is Sri Lankan economy needs all these categories of tourists. So it will develop the tourist industries at each macro level. The issue of visa needs to be regulated but as much as possible we need to provide visa on arrival so it will make it hassle free for the traveller. Just imagine if you have to spend two working days to get a visa. So these two days would be reduced from your vacation. As the embassies in big countries are located in the city’s so the travel needs to go to the city to get the visa, just imagine the hassle the tourist need to undergo. For me if this is the case I will prefer to visit a country that provides visa on arrival or provides a visa with multiple entry. Cancelation of the visa on arrival poly will definitely have a negative impact on the hotel industry and in the economy as a whole in the long run. There are lots of other countries that offer what Sri Lanka can offer the tourist so think about it .........

We need to learn to look at thing in broader perspective

This is not a buy/sell/hold recommendation please do your own analysis before investing.

It seem ur talking without information. Although the on arrival visa is canceled it does not mean you have to walk to the emmbassy to obtain a visa to travel to Sri Lanaka.

Have you ever traveled to UAE ? They too have this online visa application submitting facility. That is what Sri Lanka is gona adopt. So before the tourist come to Sri Lanka, he/She can submit it online and get to know whether he/she is permitted to land or not. This way Sri Lanka is getting binifited to avoid unwanted diaspora guys coming to SL and doing harm to the Country as traveling as tourists. On the other way, the tourist gets off the Hazel of not getting a visa once landed.

Also i think you have never gone for a vacation out of Sri Lanka or has not idea about how people plan overseas vacations. Do you think they think tonight to visit Sri Lanka and then get a ticket tomorrow morning and come to SL ? No way. At least they plan it one to two weeks before the desired travel date. Most of the cases tourists plan in their summer on where to go in the next winter. So that means about 1-2 months ahead planing the location. Therefore obtaining the visa online is not a problem at all.

Do not try to interpret a wrong image on cancellation of Arrival VISA. Although it is canceled online visa application has been introduced as in many developed countries.

Before going licking for sudda fellows $'s we have to think about the National Security at the same time we earn something as a nation from the tourist industry. That is what long lasting tourist industry means.

22Removal of arrival visa Empty Re: Removal of arrival visa Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:22 pm

Investor99

It's good if the visa can be applied online with any problems. As far as I know most of the Sri Lankan websites does not work properly. One example is the CSE website, even this is not maintain properly some days I find it hard to access the website. I hope the online visa application website works properly. Brother for your information I live overseas and I have visited few countries.

And I know a lot of travellers who wait for the last moment to get the best deal and make their travel arrangements. The world economic situation also makes them wait for the last moment to grab the best deals. So we travellers are unable to get their visas on time online then Sri Lanka is going to miss this segment of travellers. We should not forget there is ample completion from countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Maldives etc. So we have to be competitive as possible and make it easy as possible for the traveller.

23Removal of arrival visa Empty Re: Removal of arrival visa Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:05 pm

aladdin

aladdin

Investor99 wrote:It's good if the visa can be applied online with any problems. As far as I know most of the Sri Lankan websites does not work properly. One example is the CSE website, even this is not maintain properly some days I find it hard to access the website. I hope the online visa application website works properly. Brother for your information I live overseas and I have visited few countries.

And I know a lot of travellers who wait for the last moment to get the best deal and make their travel arrangements. The world economic situation also makes them wait for the last moment to grab the best deals. So we travellers are unable to get their visas on time online then Sri Lanka is going to miss this segment of travellers. We should not forget there is ample completion from countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Maldives etc. So we have to be competitive as possible and make it easy as possible for the traveller.

I do not agree with you in your comment except one which is the web site. Yes i agree there are some websites which does not work properly. But also there are lot of web sites in Sri Lanka which is maintained properly without any hazel.

1st i do not agree for your statement which we have to compete with the countries you said. Just check my market segmentation description in 1st reply of this thread.

Secondly i do not agree with your statement that you get the last minute travel arrangements to grab the best deals. This is not true. Even a flight ticket is expensive if your gona get it at the last day or last couple of days. Most of the time it is a common fact that for your to get the best deal you have to book them at least couple of weeks before. Same with the hotels. There are times which the hotel rates are high Example if the traveler want to see the "Dalada Perahara", if he/she stays until the last min, surely that tourist have to pay hell a lot of money rather than booking it at least 3-4 months before. So i totally do not agree with that comment. What you said is true for a businessmen but not a traveler. A businessmen might wait wait till the last min to take the decision if the business matter is just a potential business unitll it gets confirmed or for a sudden visit. Yet the business traveler is not the targeted market space in sri lankan tourism.

As i said before in my 1st reply post in this thread, 1st have to have a clear picture of the market space which sri lanka is catering in the bushiness of tourism. Then look at the big picture.

Nice to have a argument with facts with you.. keep it up

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum