FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by glad Today at 9:27 am

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by D.G.Dayaratne Yesterday at 7:28 am

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Fri May 17, 2024 9:08 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Thu May 16, 2024 9:13 am

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Profit making secrets: market price Vs invisible hand

+10
sriranga
Ben Graham
tanzanite
manula
Gaja
ishnet
gamaya
Universalgoal
cse.profit
hunter
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

hunter

hunter

Story so far from previous topics...
We are on an adventure to find how we can improve our chances of winning probability in this 'probability game' OKA 'trading in the share market'.

So far we discovered;
* Our chances with Random investment is not more than 30%
* If we invest in shares with growth potential and if we catch the correct timing our chances will be 30+10+10 = 50% (we are on the fence)

We discussed the above in the following thread and related other discussions.

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t10022-secret-of-harnessing-the-intrinsic-value-to-gain-profits#69373

Let's continue our journey. For this discussion, I would like to consider another variable from my 4-variable model: 'Share price'.
==============================================================

Share price is (one of) the most discussed and most closely monitored aspect(s) of a share in the market by the 'crowd'. The price is the key to making profits. No wonder many people put lot of efforts to predict the movement of share prices. But, more often than not, majority fail to identify the correct movements.

First of all; why prices move? Who moves the prices?
Can there be an "Invisible Hand" which move the prices?

My answer to the last question may be a little shocking. Shocked
My answer is...
YES!
Yes, in my view, there is an invisible hand behind most of the price movements in the market.
If so, what is this hand? How can we recognize it?

Let's take an example.....

Have you played with a Yo-Yo when you were small? bounce
Never mind, I will make it simpler with a hypothetical experiment.

EXAMPLE:

Imagine a weight (let's consider a Yo Yo or a spin top Or a Tennis ball) tied to one end of a strong rubber (elastic) band (about one foot long).

Now suppose, you are holding one end of the band and the weight (Yo Yo) is just hanging below on the other end.
Imagine you are holding your hand about two feet above the ground; then, the Yo Yo is about one foot above the ground. At this stage, I call the yo yo is at its 'equilibrium level'

OK?

Now, let's move your hand slowly upward about one foot from its initial position. What will happen to the yo yo?
It will also follow the hand movement. The pattern of movements of the hand and the Yo Yo will be almost identical. When the hand moves, yo yo will move. When the hand stops, yo yo will also stop. Only difference is that the hand is one foot above the yo yo. When you have stopped, now, the yo yo is hanging one foot above its original position (or other words, in its 'new equilibrium level').

OK so far?

Now, let' try again; this time, move the hand one foot up with a jerk; forcefully, vigourousely and as quick as we can. LET'S do it NOW!

What will hapen to the yo yo this time?

When we do that, all of a sudden, lot of things will come in to play: the force applied by your hand, the elasticity of the rubber band, the weight and the momentum of the yo yo, the gravitational force acted upon the yo yo etc etc.. (Don't worry much about my scientific jargon Laughing )

So, when you swing up your hand, initially, the yo yo will show some resistance which will make the rubber band to strech.
Then, the band will pull the yo yo up.
Will it stop when the hand is stopped? NOPE, the yo yo will, most probably,
go higher than the hand itself.
Then, it will come down, then up again; there will be 3~4 up and own cycles beore settling down at the new 'equilibrium level'. bounce

After a while, the whole system (hand, band and yo yo) becomes calmed down.

If you swing the hand again, the same process will repeat. bounce

(Hope we are clear on my hepothetical experiment.)

END OF EXAMPLE.

Now,
have we exerienced any share price movements similar to the yo yo movements in our experiment? (Both smooth slow and steady, as well as jerky and violent swing movement.)

If yes, let's continue.
(If no, please observe the market, when it becomes yes for you, let's continue). Laughing

Then, the Million Rupee quesion is; if there is an invisible hand behind these movements, what is it and how we can identify it?
In other words, what is the force which makes a share to move out from its 'equilibrium price level'?

I call this force 'the perceived value'.

What is perceived value?

Let's quickly take another simple example.

EXAMPLE

All of us have seen bricks; right? (Used for construction work).
Say, the market price of a brick is Rs 10/-
OK.

Imagine someone brings you a brick and asks you to buy that. How much are you willing to pay?
Obviousely Rs 10/- or less. Correct?
That means your perceived value of that brick is Rs 10/-

NEXT.

Imagine, somehow, you get to know that, there is a gold coin hiding inside the brick.
Shocked
How much are you willing to pay for the brick now?
Obviousely a lot more than Rs 10/-.
Correct?
That means your perceived value now is higher (say Rs 1,000/- or so compared to 10/- earlier).

The brick never changed, but the information you had (about the brick) changed witch ultimately lead to a change in your 'perceived value'.

Make sense?

END OF EXAMPLE.

Now, in the market, hardly anybody use the term 'perceived value'. But there are terms like; intrinsic value, future value, fair value etc etc.
If we ask 10 experts about the value of a share, we may, most of the time, get almost 10 different answers.
So I say, different people have diferent 'perceived values' of a share.

However, in general, there could be an average 'perceived value' which leads to an average 'equilibrium price level'.

If this average perceived value is changed, it will lead the equilibrium price to change; just like the yo yo.

(What makes the 'perceived value' to change seems out of todays scope of discussion; probably we can discuss it some other day)

Now let's discuss business:

What I suggest is, when we buy a share, our buying price should be less than the 'average perceived value' of that particular share.

How to calculate the perceived value?

There are many ways. Different people use different methods. Some may use the book value, some may use P/E ratio, some may use PEG ration sme may use combination of those, etc etc.

To make things simple, my suggestion is, use WHATEVER the method make SOME sense to you. It can be some kind of our own foolish method. Doesn't matter.
'Using some method' is far better than not using anything at all. (Something is better than nothing!)

Belive me, if used properly, value based investing can bring us lifetime earning. There have been some legendary investors (such as Ben Graham - supposed to be a teacher of Warren Buffet) who used just this method to do wonders.

Anyway, let's not get into extremes. Let's just assign our 'foolish' method a fair percentage of winning probability.

Can we agree upon 10% ?

That means, if we decide to buy a share only if the price is less than the 'average perceived value', then our winning chances will be 10% higher.

To finish things, putting all together, what we discussed earlier;

If we buy only 'potential to grow' shares and buy only durng ideified time frames and buy only at a price below 'average perceived value', then, our chances of making profit will become 30+10+10 = 60% !!!

cheers BINGO! cheers

Now we have found the crucial atom to initiate the nuclear chain reaction. Now we have enough odds to make profits consistantly.
We have turned the table to our side.
Finally, we are not at mercy of the random market behaviours.

If you think, 60% is good enough to make all the difference, and satisfied with it, you may stop here and do your wonders
in the market. Wish you all the best!

Those who are not satisfied with 60%, those who want to be 'dead sure' in whatever you do, those who want more adventure;
let's continue our quest for finding more bent coins.

Last edited by hunter on Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:40 pm; edited 4 times in total

cse.profit

cse.profit
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

hunter- excellent post brother... rep from me

Universalgoal

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

well done hunter apriciate your work but you didnt talk about disposing time, bcs there are meny shares with your all requirements so if we keep them forever how do we make money (sorry if this is a stupid question)

hunter

hunter

Universalgoal wrote:well done hunter apriciate your work but you didnt talk about disposing time, bcs there are meny shares with your all requirements so if we keep them forever how do we make money (sorry if this is a stupid question)

Very valid point!
I had plans to discuss that in a future post.

Anyway, we briefly opened up this in an earlier thread as well;

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t9305-3-secret-steps-for-guaranteed-profits-for-traders

cse.profit

cse.profit
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

hahaha hunter just now i saw the negative rep.....

janmeta wada purudda lokui kiwwalu ne..hehe...Their are still people who are in great envy when others trying to do some thing productive and more than that when some one admires , they even give negative reps even to the admirers as well...what a world....hehhe.....owa ganak nah hunter....apita owada wela thiyenne..hehehe

gamaya

Hunter, thanks for the continuous efforts to think differently.

I think your proposed strategy is relatively safe swing trading strategy. Very useful.

cse.profit

cse.profit
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

I have got 5 negative reps.....this is for the people who gave me reps....can you 5 please let me know why i was given negative reps. not for any thing just to learn my mistake and not re do it. any way will not post any thing to admire any one in this forum again....I think that was the mistake.....
wadinna giya dewale hise kadan watinawa kiyanne mewata thamai..

since i do not wont to spam the forum will edit here itself.

@ishnet- yes brother....sometimes you feels very frustrated after spending hours and hours in a intangible forum when you are being treated like that.

@gaja- well said brother.....

@manula- yes .very true...even if some one says the dumbest thing in the world and if he can reason it out i respect him. because he is not vague and he has a point. but without any reason facing this kind of situation have kept me thinking of my contribution to this forum on the fence. I have written and actively participated in the investnow.lk and the day i got to know it was shut down was really frustrated for 2 reasons. we lost a good forum. secondly all the effort i tried putting in to posts and hard work also vanished....in seconds....now i do not use investnow since i feel this forum attracts higher number of visitors. but day by day feeling once again switch from this forum to investnow.lk. since their you need to pay a small fee and i think all the presence of tom,harry fellows who are ruining this forum will not be that frequent since you pay a small amount.I would prefer if QUIBIT also can take some kind of a measurement like that.Not something like investnow.lk but Even a monthly subscription of 1 rupee would reduce the number of fake profiles substantially.just a suggestion.
but lets wait and see.

Last edited by cse.profit on Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

ishnet

ishnet
Manager - Equity Analytics

cse.profit wrote:I have got 5 negative reps.....this is for the people who gave me reps....can you 5 please let me know why i was given negative reps. not for any thing just to learn my mistake and not re do it. any way will not post any thing to admire any one in this forum again....I think that was the mistake.....

Hamoma eka wage naa.............Chanda aithiya pavichchi karanna hama kenama danne na.... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Gaja

Associate Director - Equity Analytics

cse.profit wrote:I have got 5 negative reps.....this is for the people who gave me reps....can you 5 please let me know why i was given negative reps. not for any thing just to learn my mistake and not re do it. any way will not post any thing to admire any one in this forum again....I think that was the mistake.....

Friend this is the beauty of our forum, there are some members who will love to give negative rep when somebody talk negatively about the shares they hold they will not look in to the rational behind the argument, they just want see the positive points about the shares they hold.

This is for the friends who ever gives negative rep to others if you see anything wrong in there arguments put the counter argument and if you are not in a position to counter argue or thought that other members will joke about your thoughts no worries at least send a personal message the way you thing but kindly refrain from giving negative reps.

Here everybody is study from another person in someway so the more we see the arguments and counter arguments will bring more clarity about the subject matter we discussed than giving a negative rep

manula

Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics

Gaja wrote:.

Here everybody is study from another person in someway so the more we see the arguments and counter arguments will bring more clarity about the subject matter we discussed than giving a negative rep

Yes.. it is correct. Every body is study from another person in some way and i am also agree if any one giving negative rep, can come up with the reason then can have a good discussion about the post Cool

tanzanite

tanzanite
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Another beauty from Hunter, thanks, enjoyed every bit of it... keep going mate... Very Happy You have such a excellent teaching skill. Wish you conducted some Very Happy bounce classes!!!! I would have signed up as the first student ha ha

hunter

hunter

gamaya wrote:Hunter, thanks for the continuous efforts to think differently.

I think your proposed strategy is relatively safe swing trading strategy. Very useful.

Yes Sir!, I like to call myself a 'calculated-risk taking swing trader'!!
If you sense that in my posts, you are capable of reading others' minds.

Ben Graham

Ben Graham
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

@hunter - + rep bro. keep up ur hard work.

@cse.profit - dont take anything personally. there are those kind of stupid people who are so jealous. Evil or Very Mad ur hard work and contribution help real learners learn and master them at different view points. above all we need people like u nt forgetting the other good forum members. just imagine if guys like u all go off and those - rep giving kind of people exist, this forum will be a jargon. isnt it?? just ignore them. that's it. (between i gave u 3 + reps. so u need 2 more to compensate that -5reps Wink )

cse.profit

cse.profit
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

@ben graham- thanks alot my freind for the encouraging words of you and 3 reps..first of all i should say that i am not a maniac who beleives and go after this rep system. but definitely i know how hard it is for a person to get a rep for the hard work. and when suddenly 5 negative reps comes you become angry if that is for no reason.I have already had very good intellectual conversation with you before and I know about your caliber and personality. yes i have already ignored and will continue my work since I have found lot of genuine friends from this forum and though we don't see each other, though their may be age gaps, whether male or female we have got very closed as a family and i love my investment family..thanks again. kit

@sriranga- Thank you brother. yes had a good trade..should re enter in the coming days.

@smallville- very well said brother. you are one of the most seniors in this forum and i have witnessed lot of times when this has happen to you as well as the other good forum members. yes the best thing is to ignore this kind of behavior. Just because their are 1/2 Crookes it doesn't mean that the entire forum is bad.Thank you for taking your valuable time for replying.

@tanzanite- well said dear

@watch dog- appreciated brother.

@ben graham- I am really happy to hear that and will continue..all the best.

PATIENCE IS THE NAME OF THE GAME

Last edited by cse.profit on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

@ Hunter
+ rep for your hard work.
keep it up.
god bless you.
@cse.profit
+ rep for your frank comments
Have a good trade.

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

smallville

smallville

Hey buddy, I'm not boasting, but I may be the only person who posts my research before even i buy the share..And may be the only one who posted number of 'my own'analysis to the forum.. But go to my profile and see how many negatives I've been given so far..

In fact, I posted a newbie Amibroker guide in Research section for new comers to learn Amibroker, alas! even a negative was given to that.. lol!

We find really funny people in this forum.. This is called "KUHAKA KAMA" cuz some ppl cant tolerate others earning more than them..

This is typical third class behaviour.. so 4get about it Wink cheers!!!

@hunter - keep up ur good hard work...

tanzanite

tanzanite
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

smallville wrote:

Hey buddy, I'm not boasting, but I may be the only person who posts my research before even i buy the share..And may be the only one who posted number of 'my own'analysis to the forum.. But go to my profile and see how many negatives I've been given so far..

In fact, I posted a newbie Amibroker guide in Research section for new comers to learn Amibroker, alas! even a negative was given to that.. lol!

We find really funny people in this forum.. This is called "KUHAKA KAMA" cuz some ppl cant tolerate others earning more than them..

This is typical third class behaviour.. so 4get about it Wink cheers!!!

@hunter - keep up ur good hard work...

Smallville, dont get discouraged... in a society everyone is different. But as for you and Hunter and a few others, there is a whole lot of people who appreciate your good work. We depend on you to learn this game, specially the females have a very limited opportunity. Hence the reason why there are so few females taking part in the stock exchange. So what ever you share is taken in very seriously and we look forward to them.
Keep going friend!!!!

pathfinder

pathfinder
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

@ Hunter
+ rep for you,keep it up.
@cse.profit
+ rep for you to compansate the - reps

dilshan

dilshan
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

~ Wow Great, worth reading! ~

Ben Graham

Ben Graham
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

@cse.profit - thanks for ur generous words. i hv learned much from ur detailed analyses. and expect more from u to make profit from cse. Smile

@smallville- yes u r 100% right. btwn i wud like to add one more point. some ppl cant tolerate others earning more than them and on top of it, the funny thing is, they might have learned evrthing from u guyz No i hv saved some of ur analysis details for my orientations as well. bt u ddnt ask money for anthing and u ddnt evn knw dat ne. dat's a genuine part of urs. thanks small. Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

smallville

smallville

See what I told.. I've got 2 - reps frm 2 kuhakayos Wink he hee..

pathfinder

pathfinder

smallville wrote:See what I told.. I've got 2 - reps frm 2 kuhakayos Wink he hee..
Don't worry,Let them to bark.

cse.profit

cse.profit
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

@smallville- I am really sorry machan. YOU face this because of me..yes the best thing is to ignore and participate with people you love to interact. You are one hell of a gem. Dont give a damn. I learnt it from you. ALL the very best

@watchdog- well said bro. You seems to know lot about dogs.hehe. I like you name bro.all the best.

themask

themask

Small, cse.profit and others,
Guys pls just ignore the reps, its nothing...
At the end of the day if you know you have genuinely helped many people to learn something even little then thats worth than anything.

smallville

smallville

Thanks for the encouragement.. I only get pissed off when my research work gets - reps without any justification.. These are just normal Wink he hee..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum