FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by D.G.Dayaratne Today at 7:28 am

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Fri May 17, 2024 9:08 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Thu May 16, 2024 9:13 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by thankrishan Wed May 15, 2024 1:58 pm

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Market review and outlook for 2012

+4
Tiger
wallstreetguy
illuminati
K.Haputantri
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Market review and outlook for 2012 Empty Market review and outlook for 2012 Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:06 am

K.Haputantri

K.Haputantri
Co-Admin

Trading in 2012 is going to be volatile, illiquid and frustrating however we will see plenty of opportunities for the Investor and The Speculator. Investors should first decide how they plan to approach the market and how they plan to segment their portfolios

Outlook, advice and opportunities for 2012

The typical bear market (while some are not distinctive in nature), usually has three separate legs of decline interrupted by a couple of rallies that last long enough to convince investors to keep buying. Some rallies last 15 weeks, however most of the time they don’t last that long. Large investors may also join the game and look to convince the entire market that the new bull market has began.

Trading in 2012 is going to be volatile, illiquid and frustrating however we will see plenty of opportunities for the Investor and The Speculator. Investors should first decide how they plan to approach the market and how they plan to segment their portfolios. This is critical as the two types of trading strategies and investment philosophies will offer varying degree of prospects and if not strategized initially, can cause confusion leading to losses.

First let’s evaluate the liquidity in the market. In 2011 there has been a net outflow of funds amounting close to LKR 18 billion. There have been a number of private placements and IPO’S where funds of disappointed investors are now stuck. According to a broker pole Investors big and small are also facing losses amounting to 30% on average. This along with the rising cost of margin facilities has sucked the liquidity out of the system.

Brokers who are in need for speed

The Colombo Stock Brokers Association (CSBA) has requested the government for three measures to help provide liquidity for the market. 1. To increase bank lending to the equity

markets from 5% to 7% 2. Eliminate price bands 3. Enable brokers to extend credit to clients by 3 times The first demand was met over and above expectation as the Central Bank imposed an unlimited cap on bank lending to the equity markets. However when announced this did not provide any support for the markets. This is mainly due to the fact that A. Clients are underwater and do not want to borrow more in an unpredictable market. B. Banks whose margins are getting squeezed on the interest rate front might not l end more to the equity markets. Furthermore there remains over LKR 2 billion in unutilized funds available for l ending, however even brokers are not willing to lend this out to clients. Therefore there might be no further increase on this front. The few brokers who are in dire straits for these funds will find themselves with mounting debt and difficulty in sustaining themselves next year. We therefore advise clients to stay with reputable long trusted names in the business.

Market review and outlook: Technical view of 2011

The spread between the ASPI and MPI is currently around 16%, whereas over the last 10 years the highest spread has been over 40%. The MPI is at present the leading indicator for markets and a change in trend would have to be first witnessed in the larger capitalized stocks which presently have long term value. Evaluating the liquidity in this index would be an important indicator to note the change in direction of the market. Currently the MPI is consolidating between 5,000 and 4,800 its 38.2% and 50% Fibonacci retracement levels (Please see Chart A). However if the MPI is unable to hold these levels we could see it drift down towards its 200 day weekly moving average which is at 4,300 (Chart A).

Technically the ASPI (See Chart B) is overvalued compared to the MPI as it has been trading based on a few counters comprised in the Bartleet Speculator Index (BSI). Therefore even though we could get a January rally in the ASPI, ultimately we would want to see a consolidation and narrowing of the spread between the indices. As we had witnessed in 2008/2009 the merging of both indices is an indicator of the market bottoming out, whereas a widening of the spread indicates that the market can move lower.

The ASPI (See Chart B) is currently hugging on to its 100-day weekly moving average at around the 6,000 level. We could see this index trade down towards 5,400 and 5,000 within the course of this year. We will look to evaluate the direction of the market at this consolidation point.

Global markets Vs. ASPI

The global markets have had a volatile year on average down 10% to 20%, while the US markets have been one of the best performing markets ending the year flat, compared to a loss of 9% on the ASPI. Compared to the Emerging Markets ETF (EEM), the ASPI outperformed the index by 13%. When evaluated on a PE multiple basis the ASPI remains comparatively over priced (Please see Diagram A). Whereas on a market capitalization to GDP basis Sri Lanka has slipped back down to 26% compared to 46% last year. While this is somewhat aligned with developing nations it is far smaller in comparison to developed Asian markets which are all over market cap to GDP well over a 100%. This demonstrates that our equity markets have the potential to grow fourfold at the very least over the next decade.

Summary: Diamonds in the rough

The outlook and scenarios we have discussed do not paint an extremely healthy picture for the short to medium term but they also do not forecast a drastic bear market either. Sri Lanka is a frontier market and the long term potential is seen across the country. This leaves cash rich investors/speculators with great opportunities for the short and long haul in 2012. As trading will be hard this year we thus advise investors to continue to manage their risk. The investor who protects his capital and managers his risk on his investments will hold the diamonds at the end of the tunnel.

“When you make a mistake in the stock market, the only sound thing to do is to correct it. Don’t fight it; Pride and ego never pay off, neither does vacillation when losses start to show up” William O’neil

Daily Mirror (Sri Lanka)
BY STEFAN JURIANZ ( The writer is a technical analyst attached to Bartleet Religare Securities)

2Market review and outlook for 2012 Empty Re: Market review and outlook for 2012 Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:13 am

illuminati

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

I like the last para. Most pundits in this forum fail to recognize that we are in a strong bear phase. They fail to admit their own mistakes. It will prove very costly.

I hope Mr Hapu will not be branded in this forum as an Agent of HNWI or a retard who wants to bring the market down by posting this kind of thing as some prefer to live in a state of denial until they are wiped out. Time to wake up and face reality.

3Market review and outlook for 2012 Empty Re: Market review and outlook for 2012 Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:52 am

wallstreetguy

This is a strong bear, We have been ubable to break the 7000 barrier, we fell like free fall down 1000 points. ASI is tried to break from 6100 several times, and it seems to be failing.

We might bounce back, which is unlikely to happen in the short term.

Every week we are able to find new barriers and the new support line which i found out is 5500. I think this will be achived, then it will drop futher to the correction point, then it will start trading in that band.

Im really sad, because , I could have used that money for some other business. Averaging is ok in a up market, but its not going to cover up my bank O/D.

4Market review and outlook for 2012 Empty Re: Market review and outlook for 2012 Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:00 pm

Tiger

Tiger
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Re-posting.....
Race of Bull versus Bear has intensified. I am thoroughly confused but taking chances. Only time will tell whether I am a Tiger or a Donkey. Shocked

Re: Are you still in trouble?
by Tiger on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:29 pm

Thanks for posting Stockmate.

I will just wait another 12 days and see what will happen. According to me only factor that can cause a another bear run is escalation of Europe crisis. I think such factors cannot be predicted in a technical analysis.

I think there is more room for ASI to drop given the fact that there are many overvalued counters, but still there are good companies up for grabs at fairly good value. So at the moment I am more concerned about the companies earnings quality than the market direction.

Over past one month I have increased my PF by 3 times. I think all value investors should not be worried into getting into positions now. The downside risk is very minimal compared to upside potential when compared with 6months back.

5Market review and outlook for 2012 Empty Re: Market review and outlook for 2012 Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:37 pm

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

Thanks a lot K.Haputantri sharing a good article from Daily mirror.

Over past one month I have increased my PF by 3 times. I think all value investors should not be worried into getting into positions now. The downside risk is very minimal compared to upside potential when compared with 6months back.
I think you are on the right track. panicking won't help at this juncture, everyone needs to find their own stratergy. Wish you happy 2012.

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

6Market review and outlook for 2012 Empty Re: Market review and outlook for 2012 Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:22 pm

illuminati

Tiger wrote:Re-posting.....
Race of Bull versus Bear has intensified. I am thoroughly confused but taking chances. Only time will tell whether I am a Tiger or a Donkey. Shocked

Thanks for posting Stockmate.

I will just wait another 12 days and see what will happen. According to me only factor that can cause a another bear run is escalation of Europe crisis. I think such factors cannot be predicted in a technical analysis.

I think there is more room for ASI to drop given the fact that there are many overvalued counters, but still there are good companies up for grabs at fairly good value. So at the moment I am more concerned about the companies earnings quality than the market direction.

I wish to completely disagree with you. Why do you want to increase your portfolio when the trend is south. Day by day the value of your holding is reduced. There may be good companies to buy, but you may be able buy 200 of them later than buying 100 now. You are violating a cardinal rule in stock selection. That is when everything is right in a stock do not forget to look at the "trend" before jumping.

7Market review and outlook for 2012 Empty Re: Market review and outlook for 2012 Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:31 pm

Rajitha

Rajitha

In short with this amount of ...... running the country and making policies economy nor CSE will have a bright future!

8Market review and outlook for 2012 Empty Re: Market review and outlook for 2012 Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:09 pm

Tiger

Tiger

illuminati wrote:

I wish to completely disagree with you. Why do you want to increase your portfolio when the trend is south. Day by day the value of your holding is reduced. There may be good companies to buy, but you may be able buy 200 of them later than buying 100 now. You are violating a cardinal rule in stock selection. That is when everything is right in a stock do not forget to look at the "trend" before jumping.

I do not completely agree with you, as I said above I am not just jumping and buying. Its careful selection of valuable counters in varied allocations. I don't wish to time the market, where ever I see the value I buy. Currently I am at 3.5% un realised loss and I have 55 companies in my PF.
Any how I have been selling some of my shares during the run up to new year.

Currently my biggest worry is possible devaluation of Rupee, therefore I do not wish to put more foreign currency until I get a clear picture in exchange rate front.

9Market review and outlook for 2012 Empty Re: Market review and outlook for 2012 Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:37 pm

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Tiger wrote:
illuminati wrote:

I do not completely agree with you, as I said above I am not just jumping and buying. Its careful selection of valuable counters in varied allocations. I don't wish to time the market, where ever I see the value I buy. Currently I am at 3.5% un realised loss and I have 55 companies in my PF.
Any how I have been selling some of my shares during the run up to new year.

Currently my biggest worry is possible devaluation of Rupee, therefore I do not wish to put more foreign currency until I get a clear picture in exchange rate front.

I agree with tiger...This is good time for careful collection.Yes looking at the trend is really important but it is really difficult to time the trend reversal.U might miss the bus if u wait too long.

10Market review and outlook for 2012 Empty Re: Market review and outlook for 2012 Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:32 am

illuminati

You have every right to disagree. After all it is a world of choices. People have been collecting since early 2011 !

11Market review and outlook for 2012 Empty Re: Market review and outlook for 2012 Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:09 am

cseguide

cseguide
Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics

What lack Cse is the stable policy framework which protects the inverters.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum