FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by glad Today at 9:27 am

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by D.G.Dayaratne Yesterday at 7:28 am

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Fri May 17, 2024 9:08 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Thu May 16, 2024 9:13 am

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs

+5
DK
Gaja
BenZ
Monster
ndnk
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Empty Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:06 pm

ndnk

ndnk
Manager - Equity Analytics

I have little understanding how the valuation is carried out in practice. So tell me whether this calculation is correct or wrong,, If wrong please correct me,,

Laugfs company diluted eps for 9 month period enditng 31/12/2010 is 2.40

SO i converted this to annaul (dnt know whether i am correct) 2.4/9*12 = 3.2
Industry P/E is for Power n energy is 59.8

So is that correct to do like this 3.2 * 59.8 = 191

Company's P/E is almost ranges 16-20 now. So can we come to a conclusion that Laugfs share is undervalued currently and has potential to go up in the future and Company P/E is low bcaz it is just introduced to the market???????????????

Pls help me Smile

Last edited by Quibit on Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : topic spellings corrected)

2Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Empty Re: Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:25 pm

ndnk

ndnk

Someone pls hlp me,,, I am trying to learn these things

3Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Empty Re: Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:32 pm

Monster

Monster
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

ndnk wrote:Someone pls hlp me,,, I am trying to learn these things
It's unfair to calculate the value of LGL on sector PE ratio 59. Sector PE ratio for power and energy is high due to poor perfomance by LIOC last year. I think it's better to calucate based on PE ratio lower than the market PE.

4Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Empty Re: Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:35 pm

ndnk

ndnk

Monster wrote:
ndnk wrote:Someone pls hlp me,,, I am trying to learn these things
It's unfair to calculate the value of LGL on sector PE ratio 59. Sector PE ratio for power and energy is high due to poor perfomance by LIOC last year. I think it's better to calucate based on PE ratio lower than the market PE.

wat would be the better P/E to be used?

And is my calculation ok? nothing wrong with that?

5Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Empty Re: Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:32 pm

Monster

Monster

Just go through this,
http://www.lsl.lk/admin/doc_resrch/d_110221004356.pdf

You can get the market trailing and forward PER by each sector.

6Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Empty Re: Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:35 pm

BenZ

BenZ

OMG PER = 59.8 ????? Question Question Question Question

Thats totally misleading ....

I normally take entire market PER in these cases...

PER of 20 is saying to be fairly valued. But for me, I take as 15 for fairly valued ratio.

7Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Empty Re: Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:53 pm

ndnk

ndnk

BenZ wrote:OMG PER = 59.8 ????? Question Question Question Question

PER of 20 is saying to be fairly valued. But for me, I take as 15 for fairly valued ratio.

whats the rationale for 15 and 20? how did u get those?

8Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Empty Re: Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:01 pm

Monster

Monster

ndnk wrote:
BenZ wrote:OMG PER = 59.8 ????? Question Question Question Question

whats the rationale for 15 and 20? how did u get those?
I agree with BenZ, Market PER is 20. So, it's always better calculate based on below the current market PER. But you should not forget, PER is not only a factor when you deciding valuation. Just look at mark's comment
mark wrote:many people use this method as the primary evaluation method.....
but there is some more factors.....
*future growth
*fiscal policies(BANKS)
*speculation(expected events-mergers/takeovers)
*attractiveness of the industry(hotels-trade at higher PE)
* liquidness
*leverage
*NAV
*stability of the company
*recent price performance of shares
ETC....................

9Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Empty Re: Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:04 pm

Gaja

Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

if you think Rs. 191/= is a good value to dispose in the short term, and buy now you may ended up with big cash locked with LGL

10Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Empty Re: Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:15 pm

ndnk

ndnk

Gaja wrote:if you think Rs. 191/= is a good value to dispose in the short term, and buy now you may ended up with big cash locked with LGL

No no i hav no intention to buy at this level,, I subscribed for the IPO anyway,,, i just thought of testing wat i have learnt,,,, It seems they r not practicle Razz

11Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Empty Re: Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:49 pm

DK

Hi Guys
Since I was never educated in these matters formally I took a different path on calculating the sector P/Es. I still don't know whether it is correct or not, but what I do is to remove the statistics that are way outside the median and then re-calculate the mean.

12Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Empty Re: Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:39 pm

gann

gann
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

They used LLUB per at the time to value LGL IPO price which was around 13 as i remember.

http://biz.yahoo.com/p/industries.html for US sector pers

Our current Ratios
http://www.4shared.com/document/fnJtvlST/Market_PE-Updates.html

13Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Empty Re: Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:54 pm

dhamm

gann wrote:
Our current Ratios
http://www.4shared.com/document/fnJtvlST/Market_PE-Updates.html

Not upto date!!!

LGL last qtr EPS is 1.23. But above indicates that as 0.85 Twisted Evil

14Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Empty Re: Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:31 pm

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics

ndnk wrote:I have little understanding how the valuation is carried out in practice. So tell me whether this calculation is correct or wrong,, If wrong please correct me,,

Company's P/E is almost ranges 16-20 now. So can we come to a conclusion that Laugfs share is undervalued currently and has potential to go up in the future and Company P/E is low bcaz it is just introduced to the market???????????????

Pls help me Smile

The Power Energy PE of 59 is not accurate on CSE and will be updated this month I guess. I am sure it is along the lines of the market PE. Even if so is not good to take Sector PE to the fullest ( especially if it over the market PE as in this example) .

So even with PE of 20 which is too high Laugf cane be valued at 3.2*20= Rs 64 in my opion.

However as laghf is diversifying special attention can be given. But their core business ( gas) is volatile due to government competition now.
So in summary I do not think Laugh if undervalued now but fair valued. Better watch for future developments to judge where laugf is heading.

Hope this is helpful

15Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Empty Re: Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:48 pm

econ

econ
Global Moderator

I think LGL is fairly valued at 50-55.

16Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Empty Re: Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:37 pm

dhamm

slstock wrote:
ndnk wrote:I have little understanding how the valuation is carried out in practice. So tell me whether this calculation is correct or wrong,, If wrong please correct me,,

Pls help me Smile

The Power Energy PE of 59 is not accurate on CSE and will be updated this month I guess. I am sure it is along the lines of the market PE. Even if so is not good to take Sector PE to the fullest ( especially if it over the market PE as in this example) .

So even with PE of 20 which is too high Laugf cane be valued at 3.2*20= Rs 64 in my opion.

However as laghf is diversifying special attention can be given. But their core business ( gas) is volatile due to government competition now.
So in summary I do not think Laugh if undervalued now but fair valued. Better watch for future developments to judge where laugf is heading.

Hope this is helpful

Here, ndnk has done a mistake by considering the company EPS. Normally what we consider is Group EPS. For ndnk its perfectly OK as he is new to the subject. But its sad to see all others are commenting based on the EPS of 3.2. Then again its nice to see ppl giving + rep for predictions based on wrong data!!

Based on group figures, LGL 9 month ended EPS is 2.82 with last quarter EPS being 1.23. So we can get annualized EPS as 2.82*4/3= 3.76

But based on past qtr EPS, we can get annualized EPS of at least 4. So with PER of 20 it can trade around 80.

Last edited by dhamm on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

17Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Empty Re: Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:44 pm

dhamm

econ wrote:I think LGL is fairly valued at 50-55.

Based on what?

18Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Empty Re: Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:13 pm

ndnk

ndnk

dhamm wrote:
slstock wrote:

Pls help me Smile

Hope this is helpful

Here, ndnk has done a mistake by considering the company EPS. Normally what we consider is Group EPS. For ndnk its perfectly OK as he is new to the subject. But its sad to see all others are commenting based on the EPS of 3.2. Then again its nice to see ppl giving + rep for predictions based on wrong data!!

Based on group figures, LGL 9 month ended EPS is 2.82 with last quarter EPS being 1.23. So we can get annualized EPS as 2.82*4/3= 3.76

But based on past qtr EPS, we can get annualized EPS of at least 4. So with PER of 20 it can trade around 80.

Thank u very much,,,nice explaination Smile but what is P/E 20? How did u get it Can u pls explain

19Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Empty Re: Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:18 am

dhamm

ndnk,
PE 20 is market PE. i.e. PE of entire CSE. You can use it to get an idea. But no guarantee the stock will trade upto market PE. hope this helps. Smile

20Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Empty Re: Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:21 am

Slstock

Slstock

dhamm wrote:

Dhamm,

I presume you are holding this share . Yes Last quarter EPS was 1.23. 9 Month EPs was 2.8 Yes I made a mistake by assuming and quoting the NDNK annualized EPS as 3.2 . Even if you take that they are going to post same EPS of 1.2 next quarter ( q4) their annual is Rs 4 EPS.

It is not safe to assume Market PE of 20 to fairly value every share share. It is risky. As you seem to be sensitive to price quotation I will not again quote a value. But every thing else I said in my previous post I stand by ( but I stand corrected for annulzied EPS but that too is open for discussion)

We are people who spend time to help others with whatever knowledge experience we have. We are not experts. Occasionally as humans we make little mistakes. We do not do it intentiannly. Don;t jump on the people who occasionally make a mistake. In which case just point out without being too quick to criticize. If I recall I have replied to your queries when ever you needed info to share my views.

I stand by every thing I said before abotu Laugfs. Safest thing I would like to says as I said before is "Laugfs is diversifying special attention can be given. But their core business ( gas) is volatile due to government competition now. Better watch for future developments to judge where laugf is heading."

Just for you information the same sector stock LIOC have made decent profits last 2 quarters. It is trading at Rs 18-20 now. it is tradin below a PE of 10 . The question is why?

21Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Empty Re: Testing 1-Valuation Laugfs Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:05 pm

dhamm

slstock wrote:
dhamm wrote:

Dhamm,

I presume you are holding this share . Yes Last quarter EPS was 1.23. 9 Month EPs was 2.8 Yes I made a mistake by assuming and quoting the NDNK annualized EPS as 3.2 . Even if you take that they are going to post same EPS of 1.2 next quarter ( q4) their annual is Rs 4 EPS.

It is not safe to assume Market PE of 20 to fairly value every share share. It is risky. As you seem to be sensitive to price quotation I will not again quote a value. But every thing else I said in my previous post I stand by ( but I stand corrected for annulzied EPS but that too is open for discussion)

We are people who spend time to help others with whatever knowledge experience we have. We are not experts. Occasionally as humans we make little mistakes. We do not do it intentiannly. Don;t jump on the people who occasionally make a mistake. In which case just point out without being too quick to criticize. If I recall I have replied to your queries when ever you needed info to share my views.

I stand by every thing I said before abotu Laugfs. Safest thing I would like to says as I said before is "Laugfs is diversifying special attention can be given. But their core business ( gas) is volatile due to government competition now. Better watch for future developments to judge where laugf is heading."

Just for you information the same sector stock LIOC have made decent profits last 2 quarters. It is trading at Rs 18-20 now. it is tradin below a PE of 10 . The question is why?

Dear Slstock,

Its true, ppl do mistakes and even experts do mistakes. My concern was not that and based on a small mistake the entire discussion was dragging into some where else and its going to end in controversial decisions. I criticized not that mistake but the behavior of others because there are bunch of ppl who give +/- blindly in this forum and its obviously not relevant to you. Then again im sorry bro if you hurt Smile.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum