FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Yesterday at 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by ChooBoy Fri May 10, 2024 5:29 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

No Force Selling- Margin Calls for Next 2 months

+16
Light of Hope
15%only
smallville
sriranga
Gaja
Redbulls
hettdas
market bull
Belgrade
dindon1
Deva
swan03
wiki
gospelkrayz
kelum
MJ
20 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

MJ

Manager - Equity Analytics

Good news guys, Got to know that there wont be any force selling during next 2 months.
No official announcements , But came through a very reliable source

kelum

kelum
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

hai guys i gave you this news before tow days...check my last post.....

MJ

sorrry mate, missed it

gospelkrayz

gospelkrayz
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

ella!!!!!!!

wiki

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

MJ wrote:Good news guys, Got to know that there wont be any force selling during next 2 months.
No official announcements , But came through a very reliable source

cant believe .. if happen only in this miracle full land

swan03

Vice President - Equity Analytics

It means market will be up for next 2 months?

Deva

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

If the news is true, it's very good move.
It would allow the market to stabilize for some time.

dindon1

dindon1

market will not be the same tomorrow!

Belgrade

Belgrade

Then?

market bull

market bull

he what is the problem to you..are you ok bro...Hope that i can understand you had to sell some shares due to margin or broker credits in last few days at loss

dindon1 wrote:market will not be the same tomorrow!

hettdas

hettdas

I read your previous post also. Did you sell your total portfolio at a loss last week and suffering? Sad

Redbulls

Redbulls
Director - Equity Analytics

market bull wrote:he what is the problem to you..are you ok bro...Hope that i can understand you had to sell some shares due to margin or broker credits in last few days at loss

Do not worry about dindon1's comment.
If it comes down he will say i told you yestreday.
If it goes up also he will say I said no.
These type of pundits messing us and themself.
Go and read all his past posts you will find his caliber.

Belgrade

Belgrade

Can some one explain what is margin calls?

Gaja

Associate Director - Equity Analytics

Belgrade wrote:Can some one explain what is margin calls?
- I explain to another post during this week with example if possible have a look on it

Gaja

well its true or not is another think, but didn't understand as to how the margin calls will not come for next two months, only possible if it is up for next two months everyday.

market bull

market bull

A broker's demand on an investor using margin to deposit additional money or securities so that the margin account is brought up to the minimum maintenance margin(may be 50% or less). Margin calls occur when a you account value depresses to a value calculated by the broker's particular formula.(50%)

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/margincall.asp#ixzz1mXfEq4e3

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

Please read the following article,may be you can understand the basic of margin call.(hopefully)
Please note in CSE and Srilanka the Margin % differ from other countries.

What is a Margin Call?
Buying on margin can be a valuable tool when it comes to stock trading. Here are some basics on what is a margin call and other considerations.
A margin call happens when a brokerage firm asks the investor to deposit more cash to meet a required minimum balance. To have a better understanding of a margin call, you’ll first have to understand how margin accounts work.

Buying on Margin
If you don’t have all the money to invest in a certain amount of stock, or you don’t want to put all your money in the stock, you can borrow from your broker dealer to purchase the stock. This is known as buying on margin. You pay for part of the stock purchase, the brokerage firm loans you the remainder, leveraging the securities as collateral and then charges you interest on the loan. You’ll need a margin account to buy stocks on margin. To open the account, you’ll at least need to provide your signature and at least $2,000 of your own cash or securities. Some brokerages may require you to deposit more than $2,000. Once your account is opened, the brokerage gives you essentially a credit line that you can use
to invest.

Ups and Downs of Margin Buying

Buying on margin can be profitable. When the stock price rises, you earn money, hopefully enough to repay the brokerage firm what you borrowed, plus the interest they’ve charged. The benefit is that you were able to do it without putting up 100% of your own funds. However, if the stock price decreases, not only will you lose what you invested, you’ll also have to pay back what you’ve borrowed plus the interest.
Failing to repay what you borrowed, even in a loss situation, can prevent you from opening another margin account.

Maintenance Requirement and Margin Call

When you buy a stock on margin, you’re required to haveat least 25% equity in your securities at all times. That means, the amount of cash and securities you've contributed to the investment should be at least 25% of the total market value of the security. The brokerage firm may have a higher requirement, e.g. 30% or 40%. If your equity falls below the minimum amount, the brokerage firm will make a margin call for you to deposit more cash to bring up your equity.

For example, let’s say you purchased $10,000 of securities. You put up $5,000 of your own cash and borrowed $5,000. If the market value drops to $8,000, your equity would drop to $3,000. If the firm’s maintenance requirement is only 25%, you’d still have enough equity. But, if the maintenance requirement is 40%, the firm would issue a margin call for $1,000 to bring your equity up to the minimum requirement. You’ll generally have two to five business days to meet the margin call.

If you can’t meet the margin call, the firm will sell some of the security to bring up your equity. Some firms can sell the security without firstgiving you a margin call. For example, the brokerage firm may sell some or all of your securities before the five days have elapsed. This often happens if the market continues to decline. The firm sells securities to prevent further losses. Continuing to monitor your investment performance and making deposits before the margin call will keep you from facing a sell out. If the security sale doesn’t satisfy the outstanding loan, the broker will ask you to pay the remaining amount. Failing to pay the outstanding balance may prevent you from opening another margin account, even at
another brokerage firm.

Federal Call
Margin purchases also have an initial margin requirement. While the Federal Reserve Board sets the minimum initial margin at 50%, the brokerage firm may require you to put up an additional percentage. A Federal call is a special type of margin call that’s issued when your initial investment is below 50% of the market value of the security. Check with your broker dealer for their particular margin requirements.

Last edited by sriranga on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

Belgrade

Belgrade

Thanks Sriranga and Gaja

smallville

smallville

WOW what a pandith's talk.. Obviously the market is not gonna be the same everyday, cuz if it's gonna be there'll be many millionaires or poopers in a couple of weeks Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

BTW, which one's advice ur taking these days, I found Krishan Aakash's milliorair dreams wiped away and he might've suicide in shame Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

15%only

Stock Trader

Please be very careful on Margin calls. Don't always look at how much you can earn. In simple term, I realised a few days back that if you have 5,000 and take 5,000 more on marjin trading and the share price falls by 50% (which has happened in many cases over the last few months) a marjin call will result in selling ALL your shares to sell the loaned anout - leaving you with nothing!

If this is confirmed, it will help many.

MJ

It s confirmed, Only thing where we need clarity is Duration.
I got the news confirmed through 2 parties

Light of Hope

Gaja wrote:well its true or not is another think, but didn't understand as to how the margin calls will not come for next two months, only possible if it is up for next two months everyday.

if the market goes down 5-10 days like last time, how can there not be any margin calls? Are the margin providers willing to take such risks? I don't think so. couldn't this lead to more disaster? like what happened to the dollar, holding and letting go...

dindon1

dindon1

HOO HOOOO...
I said so.,,
Who are so called pundiths now..
Some people dont want to believe the reality.,Thats the problem..
Next week also market will be heading south..Sorry !! Thats the reality.,
All the people who did not agree with me because they want to mislead the others and sell their stocks as they are stuck.,
What sort of facts we have to suport that speculatives like HVA,GREG,ACME,DPL,TWOD,to go further up? Even fundamentals like SAMP,COMB,JKH, will not go up due to the future forecasts of the economy.,
My prediction is next week performance will be negative too.. Sad Sad

Slstock

Slstock

dindon1 wrote:HOO HOOOO...
I said so.,,
Who are so called pundiths now..
Some people dont want to believe the reality.,Thats the problem..
Next week also market will be heading south..Sorry !! Thats the reality.,
All the people who did not agree with me because they want to mislead the others and sell their stocks as they are stuck.,
What sort of facts we have to suport that speculatives like HVA,GREG,ACME,DPL,TWOD,to go further up? Even fundamentals like SAMP,COMB,JKH, will not go up due to the future forecasts of the economy.,
My prediction is next week performance will be negative too.. Sad Sad

Dindon1,

I have seen your posts from the time you came to the forum.

Initially you were so optimistic that you 'so enthusiastically" said almost every day not to sell and market will go up.
Now you take complete opposite stance and talk all negative.

Next week can head south if we do not see some bullish trend. It all depends. I am Not saying No. There are market cycles and we saw as expected market went up somewhat this week due to extreme oversold condition and other factors. What happens next week depends on several factors. We need to see monday trend. My ideal hope is that market stablize now. Not go up or go down but stay flat. That will say panic selling is over and we have atleast some faith in the future.

Here is all what I am saying . Be moderate in your opinion when stating things at the forum. When you are over optimistic people said you are misleading. Now you are so negative. So the same people will not believe you ( maybe your prediction will come true. There are only 3 things that can happen. Up , down or flat. )

So be careful in your fluctuating extreme opinions . Hope you understand what I am saying as this is for your own good. I have no grudge against you.

anees

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

cheers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum