FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by glad Today at 9:27 am

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by D.G.Dayaratne Yesterday at 7:28 am

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Fri May 17, 2024 9:08 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Thu May 16, 2024 9:13 am

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is this the time for collection?

+12
shaankh
Pira
Rajitha
milanka
smallville
mark
SS
Academic
Antonym
tubal
duke
StocksWatch
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Is this the time for collection? Empty Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:18 pm

StocksWatch

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Hi Friends,

I did a quick analysis of the movement of the price of some randomly selected shares over the recent period - Say last one month. See attached table. I only used the liquid shares for this analysis. This analysis shows that the price of some share are down more than 30%.

I know there may be some exceptional reasons affecting share price such as manipulation, announcements of dividends and rights etc but the fact is the prices have come down drastically no matter what the reason is. In my opinion those exceptional factors may have played their role, but the underlying fact for this sharp fall in share prices is the overall market downturn.

So the question is whether this is good time to enter the market and exploit the situation to maximize the return. If the prices return to the level it was one month back, the average gain would be 30%!!!

This is open for your comments and it is advised that no investment decision is taken purely based on the data presented in the attached table.
Attachments
Is this the time for collection? AttachmentStock Analysis.xlsx
See attached file for analysis
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(12 Kb) Downloaded 120 times

2Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:44 pm

duke

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Question people should ask is why the CSE went up by almost 100% last year. Then you can find the answer why they have gone down by 30% so far.

3Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:58 pm

tubal

Vice President - Equity Analytics

duke wrote:Question people should ask is why the CSE went up by almost 100% last year. Then you can find the answer why they have gone down by 30% so far.

Don't worry about the negative rep that someone has given you. People are usually reluctant to face the truth.

4Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:03 pm

duke

I just joined today. I couldn't write any good news so far. May be I'll tell a joke. Very Happy

5Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:05 pm

Antonym

Antonym

Duke is right, actually...

Imagine two runners in training. Their names are Performance and Price. Ideally, they should run together.

But, sometimes, Price gets ahead of Performance and has to stop until Performance catches up. Sometimes, like now, Price runs too far ahead - and must go back to Performance, so that they can run together again.

"If a business does well, the stock eventually follows.”

6Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:22 pm

StocksWatch

The question asked is whether it is right time to enter/collect and not why some shares are down by 30%. when the market is down, it will not only affect those overvalued shares. It will also push the price of fundamentally strong shares down such as LOLC. In my view the market may be heading towards an over correction...not knowing which is the correct level.

7Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:42 pm

Academic

"The best comes last". In Sinhalese "Eliwena gameta honda honda sellam".

8Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:07 pm

SS

SS
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Collect Buddy only if you have the holding power. buy good shares with fundamentals do little bit of analysis. Do not buy just becoz the shares is at a discount compared to the previous months. As i belive there are few stocks which was priced based on mere news paper articles without tangible evidences. So be careful.

Happy Trading....

:bball: :bball:

9Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:20 pm

Antonym

Antonym

@StocksWatch: Sorry about my comment that was not relevant to your topic.

To answer your question - Yes, this IS the time for collection.
1. I firmly believe that the CSE will bounce back, but when that is likely to happen is anybody's guess.
2. It is always a good idea to fish for undervalued stocks in a declining market like this. But keep some spare cash, so that if the market does go down further, you can buy some more.

By the way, can you guess who said: “I never have the faintest idea what the stock market is going to do in the next six months, or the next year, or the next two.”?

10Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:49 pm

mark

mark
Expert
Expert

only 13 market days to go.............if you have money collect fundamentally sound counters and hold until next month...............but try to buy at bargain.......wait for seller comes to your order.......... Cool Cool Cool Cool

duke don't worry............ Smile Smile

11Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:19 pm

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

Though the share prices are down, fundamentally strong counters are performing well.. so u dont have to be afraid of fishing in this troubled waters..
But the best strategy is buying at the max low it could go and keep till this comes to normal price.. if it comes there i know where it gonna head next Wink

This time is really good, I'm thinking what more down this can go. .this is like Oct-Nov again.. so many of us have gone on debts now so if you have the holding power buy n keep.

12Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:54 pm

milanka

milanka

duke wrote:Question people should ask is why the CSE went up by almost 100% last year. Then you can find the answer why they have gone down by 30% so far.

Very Valid Question. Awating a answer for that.

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/u188

13Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:43 pm

Rajitha

Rajitha

Antonym wrote:

Considering a healthy market it will! But not necessarily it happens! I can name some really liquid stocks that are doing great and trading way below the market PER. Also the share never appreciated more than 5-10% for years and has been trading around same value for over 5-6 years now! And the chances are that it will not for couple of more years looks really highly likely!

14Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:51 pm

Pira

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

I saw that the Foreign Purchases was higher than the Foreign Sales.

Foreign Purchases 75,301,870/= Rs.
Foreign Sales 58,351,131/= Rs.
(source: www.cse.lk daily report)

Is that a good indication? The amount is not very high, but it's higher than the Foreign Sales.

15Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:30 pm

Antonym

Antonym

Rajitha wrote:
Antonym wrote:
I can name some really liquid stocks that are doing great and trading way below the market PER. Also the share never appreciated more than 5-10% for years and has been trading around same value for over 5-6 years now! And the chances are that it will not for couple of more years looks really highly likely!

@Rajitha: Please name them; these look like an opportunity. I would like to analyze the companies' financial statements and decide for myself.

@Pira: I think we are clutching at straws here. Net foreign purchases of Rs 17 million on one isolated day is nothing after the spate of selling that we have seen. If this continues and increases, of course, it may be a different story.

16Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:38 pm

Rajitha

Rajitha

JINS, KHL , LIOC ( though I think this might go up in medium term ) to name a few. I'm sure there are a lot mroe like this!

17Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:41 pm

Pira

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

Antonym wrote:
Rajitha wrote:
Antonym wrote:
I can name some really liquid stocks that are doing great and trading way below the market PER. Also the share never appreciated more than 5-10% for years and has been trading around same value for over 5-6 years now! And the chances are that it will not for couple of more years looks really highly likely!

@Rajitha: Please name them; these look like an opportunity. I would like to analyze the companies' financial statements and decide for myself.

@Pira: I think we are clutching at straws here. Net foreign purchases of Rs 17 million on one isolated day is nothing after the spate of selling that we have seen. If this continues and increases, of course, it may be a different story.

I hope ti will happen very soon. It's very atractiv now. I'm trying to convince my friends in Foreign to invest in cse. It's a good time to make some advertising. bounce

18Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:44 pm

shaankh

shaankh
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

Stock market is not going to close even though it is dropping.
So it will come up at any moment.

There is no definite reason for continuing bearish market.

I am collecting really undervalued shares these days.

Probably will bounce back in end of april.

19Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:46 pm

StocksWatch

Pira wrote:
Antonym wrote:
Rajitha wrote:
Antonym wrote:

I hope ti will happen very soon. It's very atractiv now. I'm trying to convince my friends in Foreign to invest in cse. It's a good time to make some advertising. bounce

Are you referring to Sri Lankans living in abroad or non-Sri Lankans? Either way if you can manage to attract some potential investors the market will benefit. Keep it up.

20Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:54 pm

Pira

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

@StocksWatch:
They are non-resident Srilankan but they know some non-Sri Lankans so I hope they will then recommend they to invest here

21Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:07 pm

undervalued

undervalued
Stock Analytic
Stock Analytic

[quote="Pira"]@StocksWatch:
They are non-resident Srilankan but they know some non-Sri Lankans so I hope they will then recommend they to invest here[/quote]

Enough of BLAH BLAH ...Market won't bounce back until the ASPI hit 6500....Some folks say ASPI will touch 10000 this year...

22Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:15 pm

ShareShares

It is difficult to say which is the lowest level, this level is good enough for me. I collected few shares today some chips were lower than December levels. This morning prices were some of the best I could collect after long period. Medium terms there will some benefits. Colleted some banking shares, Carsons CINV and GUAR.

23Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:36 pm

duke

I collected some HNB, COMB, JKH, SPEN and RICH

(Actually I didn't buy any today but I have an old lot. I hope that reading this people will start buying so that the price will not go further down. rabbit )

24Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:37 pm

xmart

xmart

I don't think so. market smash 50 day EMA without any sign. but today volume is low. hope panic traders and margin holders dominate today market while investors staying away from market being cautious.

somebody should come to rescue market. EPF is only hope. anyway i hardly believe market may bounce back before ASI 7000 mark. if not I will quit until bulls came into action.

25Is this the time for collection? Empty Re: Is this the time for collection? Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:54 pm

duke

EPF albino

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum