FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Yesterday at 9:13 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by thankrishan Wed May 15, 2024 1:58 pm

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Mon May 13, 2024 8:42 pm

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by ChooBoy Fri May 10, 2024 5:29 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stock Market words - For the New Investors (Beginners)

+10
ISURU
nathanfornash
2011_NewComer
evarts
anubis
milanka
$$$
SL.Market
StocksWatch
swan03
14 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

swan03

Vice President - Equity Analytics

Hi guys,

I have seen so many questions in this forum regarding Stock Market Words. I guess this will help beginners to understand the meaning of some common words.

There are currently two indices in the CSE
1. ASPI- The All Share Price Index
2. MPI - The Milanka Price Index

What are the type of shares?

1.Ordinary Shares (N) - A right to vote at the company General meeting.
2.Non-voting ordinary shares (X) - These shares have the characteristics of ordinary shares except the right to vote at the company General meeting.
3. Preference Shares (P) - Most preference shares have a pre-determined dividend rate which you are entitled to receive.
4. Warrants (W) - This is certificate giving you the right to buy shares at a stipulated price at a future date.

Stock Market words

1. Allotment letter - A document showing that you have been allotted a certain number of newly issued shares.
2. Annual general meeting (AGM) - Every company must have an AGM each year, to allow shareholders to vote on the accounts, directors and dividends and question the board on the company's affairs.
3. Annual Report - The yearly independently audited report to shareholders which must be produced by all publicly quoted companies.
4. Bargain - The term for any deal on the stock exchange, purchase or sale.
5. Bear Market - Someone who thinks that the price of a share or stock market prices in general are about to fall.
6. Bid price - The price you sell your stocks or shares.
7. Blue chip - The shares of large well established companies.
8. Bull Market - Someone who thinks that the price of a share or the market in general is about to rise.
9. Dividend - The part of a company's profits distributed to shareholders, usually on a regular basis. An interim dividend is paid at the half-year stage and a final dividend at the end of the full year.
10. Earnings Per Share (EPS) - A company's profits (after payment of interest and preference share dividends) dividend by the number of shares issued.
11. Liquid Stock - is a stock with a lot of volume that is easy to buy and sell.
12. Price-earnings ratio (P/E) - This is calculated by taking the current earnings (profits after certain deductions) of the company and dividing them by the number of shares issued. This gives the earnings by share figure. It is then divided into the current share price which gives the P/E ratio. See also Earnings per share.
13. Prospectus - An independently audited document detailing a company's financial history and current situation and published ahead of a new share issue.

StocksWatch

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Great work...keep up the good work.

SL.Market

SL.Market

swan03 wrote:Hi guys,

I have seen so many questions in this forum regarding Stock Market Words. I guess this will help beginners to understand the meaning of some common words.

2.Non-voting ordinary shares (X) - These shares have the characteristics of ordinary shares except the right to vote at the company General meeting.
3. Preference Shares (P) - Most preference shares have a pre-determined dividend rate which you are entitled to receive.
4. Warrants (W) - This is certificate giving you the right to buy shares at a stipulated price at a future date.

Stock Market words

1. Allotment letter - A document showing that you have been allotted a certain number of newly issued shares.
2. Annual general meeting (AGM) - Every company must have an AGM each year, to allow shareholders to vote on the accounts, directors and dividends and question the board on the company's affairs.
3. Annual Report - The yearly independently audited report to shareholders which must be produced by all publicly quoted companies.
5. Bear Market - Someone who thinks that the price of a share or stock market prices in general are about to fall.
8. Bull Market - Someone who thinks that the price of a share or the market in general is about to rise.
9. Dividend - The part of a company's profits distributed to shareholders, usually on a regular basis. An interim dividend is paid at the half-year stage and a final dividend at the end of the full year.
10. Earnings Per Share (EPS) - A company's profits (after payment of interest and preference share dividends) dividend by the number of shares issued.
11. Liquid Stock - is a stock with a lot of volume that is easy to buy and sell.
12. Price-earnings ratio (P/E) - This is calculated by taking the current earnings (profits after certain deductions) of the company and dividing them by the number of shares issued. This gives the earnings by share figure. It is then divided into the current share price which gives the P/E ratio. See also Earnings per share.
13. Prospectus - An independently audited document detailing a company's financial history and current situation and published ahead of a new share issue.

How great You Are.......

$$$

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Great work Swan this will be very useful to new comers Smile...keep up the good work

milanka

milanka

Great !! You are adding value to this forum...

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/u188

anubis

Hi,

Many many thanks for this explanation! Now, being a newbie I have few more n00b questions Surprised

1. So, "X" shares also get the same dividend except that we don't get the right to vote. From a small scale investor's perspective, does this mean that we're better off with "X" shares? I mean it's not that we can change any company decisions with our puny little amounts of voting shares right? Or is it the case that non-voting shares experience less capital gain compared to voting shares?

2. I saw some "R" type of shares, like REEF.R000, what are those?

3. Which companies provide "P" type of shares you mentioned? Is there a way I can search? (sounds more reliable) Smile

4. For warrant shares, where can I find the amount I need to pay in order to convert them to normal shares when the date arrives?

Thanks again Smile

evarts

Stock Trader

Hi,
I have 2 questions that I need help with.

01. When the a share is trading with the abbreviation "XR" next to it what does that mean? (ie Nation Lanka XR)

02. If a company announces a rights issue ie. 1:2 what does that mean?

Appreciate if anyone can help...

Evarts.

2011_NewComer

2011_NewComer

This is about Rights Issue
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t1572-rights-issue-for-new-investors?highlight=rights

Be careful when buying Rights, because you have to pay some additional amount to convert them. So learn the basics before buying rights.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

R mean Right
X mean Non Voting Shares
N mean Voting Shares

B=BONUS
W=WARRANTS
P=PREFERENCE
U=UNITS

copied from http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t2080-share-codes

nathanfornash

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

How about a share called D0000? What is this? (Saw this in glass)

2011_NewComer

2011_NewComer

I think D is for debentures (not sure)

@evarts
1)
XR - Ex Rights - Shares of stock that are trading but no longer have rights attached because they have either expired, been transferred to another investor or been exercised. The rights originally assigned to the stockholder are, for whatever reason, no longer valid or no longer applicable to the stock.

If XR is a date that means to claim rights you have to buy before the XR date.

Similarly
XD - Ex Dividend - should have shares before this date to be eligible for Dividends
XC - Ex Scrip or Ex capitalisation - should have shares before this date to be eligible for Scrip

2) If 1:2 rights issued - For every two shares you own you are given the right to purchase one new share at a discounted price

a discussion about a rights issue, might be useful to you - http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t1884-lankem-development-rights-issue-help-needed

Experts please correct if I have written something wrong.

And some one will have to answer anubis's questions

Smile

ISURU

ISURU

2011_NewComer wrote:I think D is for debentures (not sure)

@evarts
1)
XR - Ex Rights - Shares of stock that are trading but no longer have rights attached because they have either expired, been transferred to another investor or been exercised. The rights originally assigned to the stockholder are, for whatever reason, no longer valid or no longer applicable to the stock.

If XR is a date that means to claim rights you have to buy before the XR date.

Similarly
XD - Ex Dividend - should have shares before this date to be eligible for Dividends
XC - Ex Scrip or Ex capitalisation - should have shares before this date to be eligible for Scrip

2) If 1:2 rights issued - For every two shares you own you are given the right to purchase one new share at a discounted price

a discussion about a rights issue, might be useful to you - http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t1884-lankem-development-rights-issue-help-needed

Experts please correct if I have written something wrong.

And some one will have to answer anubis's questions

Smile
Yes D means debenture
An Excellent work.. Thanks a lot

$$$

Hi ,

Explanations have been given .....Google any stock terminology that you don't know the meaning of and you get many answers on board....For new comers read the business section of the daily papers.....go through the entire CSE....look at Financial statements....If time and Money permit enrol in some Seminars on the subject.... actively get involved in forums such as these Smile

Of course if you google terminology and can not still understand we will all be more than willing to help out Smile

Happy Hunting!

swan03

$$$ wrote:Hi ,

Explanations have been given .....Google any stock terminology that you don't know the meaning of and you get many answers on board....For new comers read the business section of the daily papers.....go through the entire CSE....look at Financial statements....If time and Money permit enrol in some Seminars on the subject.... actively get involved in forums such as these Smile

Of course if you google terminology and can not still understand we will all be more than willing to help out Smile

Happy Hunting!

Good advice. One rep from me Smile

tkc

tkc

@swan good article my friend....here is (+) rep. from me..... Smile

mark

mark
Expert
Expert

swan03 wrote:Hi guys,

Stock Market words

good one akki..................... Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

swan03

Thanks Malli, And thank you everyone for giving me a strength.

$$$

Smile

swan03

$$$ wrote:Smile

Yeah... Still Im learning..

nathanfornash

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Dear all,

What is the share type called S0000?

ssuni

ssuni
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

swan03 wrote:Thanks Malli, And thank you everyone for giving me a strength.

Hey,
If u can plz help like these words tooo... ex: BULLISH

2011_NewComer

2011_NewComer

ssuni wrote:
swan03 wrote:Thanks Malli, And thank you everyone for giving me a strength.

Hey,
If u can plz help like these words tooo... ex: BULLISH

Some links you could use
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/stock-terms-glossary-of-stock-market-terms-and-definitions.html
http://www.sportstradinginvestor.com/sports_trading/glossary/
http://www.mudraa.com/trading/10945/0/coomonly-used-words-in-share-marketpriyangshu.html
http://www.investmentguide.co.uk/shares17.htm

And I think many are using investopedia - http://www.investopedia.com/

Smile

Redbulls

Redbulls
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics

Good one for beginners.
Thanks

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: