FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Yesterday at 9:31 am

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by bkasun Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:48 pm

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

» ASPI: Undoing GR/Covid19!
by DeepFreakingValue Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 am

» Learn CSE Rules and Regulations with the help of AI Assistant
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:47 am

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

RSI & Exit Point ?

+5
Slstock
Rajitha
smallville
Nick79
Kithsiri
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1RSI & Exit Point ? Empty RSI & Exit Point ? Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Kithsiri

Kithsiri
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

From the inception, let me be clear that I am not a Technical guy.
I was looking at the RSI of some of the shares in my portfolio and they are as under
GLAS – 87.58,
RICH – 77.33,
JINS – 81.13,
UBC – 85.76.
Remembers reading somewhere earlier that when RSI is above 70 is to get out.
Is that correct or any other technical indicators are to be seen along with RSI to determine the time of exist?
Can some experts enlighten please ?

2RSI & Exit Point ? Empty Re: RSI & Exit Point ? Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:30 pm

Nick79

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

Pls let me know wht is RSI & hw to calculate it , or anyother way to know it??

3RSI & Exit Point ? Empty Re: RSI & Exit Point ? Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:30 pm

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

A threshold like 85 is alrming...
RSI above 85 means an extremely overbought market condition,

When a market is rising but the trend is not that strong any oversold situation in the RSI brings us a good opportunity to take a profit.
I.e. when trading in stocks, RSI rising above 75 or 80 often signals that a correction is on the cards.

For better results, coupling RSI with ADX would be helpful. Further it could be made extra safe by bringing the Do day MA into the picture too..

When the ADX is rising the RSI tends to get overbought and it can often remain overbought for a surprising length of time.

Then we can have some simple trading rule on entrance;

1. The 20 day MA must be rising (some prefer 5,10 day MA also). It all depends on markets, a back testing would be useful to take the ideal figure.
2. If the ADX is rising then buy if the RSI is less than 85.
3. If the ADX is not rising then buy if the RSI is less than 50.

However RSI can even run up to 100 before a fall is imminent, hence ADX would be a better gauge to find the exit points..

4RSI & Exit Point ? Empty Re: RSI & Exit Point ? Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:22 pm

Nick79

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

smallville wrote:A threshold like 85 is alrming...

When a market is rising but the trend is not that strong any oversold situation in the RSI brings us a good opportunity to take a profit.
I.e. when trading in stocks, RSI rising above 75 or 80 often signals that a correction is on the cards.

For better results, coupling RSI with ADX would be helpful. Further it could be made extra safe by bringing the Do day MA into the picture too..

When the ADX is rising the RSI tends to get overbought and it can often remain overbought for a surprising length of time.

1. The 20 day MA must be rising (some prefer 5,10 day MA also). It all depends on markets, a back testing would be useful to take the ideal figure.

However RSI can even run up to 100 before a fall is imminent, hence ADX would be a better gauge to find the exit points..

Thanks a lot small Ville , does ADX available in the Direct fn , i found RSI is there , is ADX =Intraday momentum index or Moving average (MACD)??

5RSI & Exit Point ? Empty Re: RSI & Exit Point ? Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:40 pm

Rajitha

Rajitha
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Kithsiri wrote:From the inception, let me be clear that I am not a Technical guy.
I was looking at the RSI of some of the shares in my portfolio and they are as under
GLAS – 87.58,
RICH – 77.33,
JINS – 81.13,
UBC – 85.76.
Is that correct or any other technical indicators are to be seen along with RSI to determine the time of exist?
Whats the time period you guys using to get the RSI value ? Because stranded 14 day period I don;t get those values and further days u put more stable it becomes!

6RSI & Exit Point ? Empty Re: RSI & Exit Point ? Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:40 am

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

Rajitha wrote: Whats the time period you guys using to get the RSI value ? Because stranded 14 day period I don;t get those values and further days u put more stable it becomes!
Three months period.

7RSI & Exit Point ? Empty Re: RSI & Exit Point ? Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:12 am

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

I re-referred the details in the Direct FN provided by my broker and it was giving me different figures (not so alarming, except in the case of UBC which is higher than 85).
Now wondering whether the charts in the previous site are really accurate ones or am not doing it correctly. Embarassed

Last edited by Kithsiri on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity.)

8RSI & Exit Point ? Empty Re: RSI & Exit Point ? Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:38 am

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics

Great suggestions Small. Is this something you experimented with already. It does make lot of sense to me.

Kithsiri, there were periods at CSE when ASI was in overbought for months. Apr to June 2010 is one. Again it repeated in Sept 2010. and Early 2011.

So just because RSI is high we do not have to panic. t It does not always mean that people will sell like mad. It depends. There are other factors that will contribute. like sentiments and buying pressure . As with for GLAS, it actually started a 8-10% jump in a day recently. So if there is more buying to come, this can head higher.
Best to watch. To me glass with 6% dividend yield is definitely worth more than Rs 6.2

I think Small suggestions are great on technical grounds to figure the buying pressure and direction.

smallville wrote:A threshold like 85 is alrming...

Last edited by slstock on Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total

9RSI & Exit Point ? Empty Re: RSI & Exit Point ? Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:36 am

K.Haputantri

K.Haputantri
Co-Admin

Thanks small, it is very usefull. ?Can you educate us more on ADX. Is it available in DirectFNTWS.

10RSI & Exit Point ? Empty Re: RSI & Exit Point ? Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:57 am

Slstock

Slstock

K.Haputantri wrote:Thanks small, it is very usefull. ?Can you educate us more on ADX. Is it available in DirectFNTWS.

Yes it is available on DFN. Average Directional Movement. When ADX crosses 25 it is a positive sign it is believe with other signal Small explained.

Kithsiri,

What are the RSI number you found now?

Last edited by slstock on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total

11RSI & Exit Point ? Empty Re: RSI & Exit Point ? Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:01 am

malanp

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Kithsiri wrote:From the inception, let me be clear that I am not a Technical guy.
GLAS – 87.58,
RICH – 77.33,
JINS – 81.13,
UBC – 85.76.

My understanding is RSI above 70 shows there will be a profit taking, so price might drop.

so swing and day traders should exit or should not enter.

but if you plan to hold for a medium term then RSI is irrelavant

Smallville & Slstock, you can correct me if I am wrong..

12RSI & Exit Point ? Empty Re: RSI & Exit Point ? Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:38 pm

Slstock

Slstock

BTW another option is a rather flat ( prices don't fall too much but buyer meeting sellers) cool off period.

Only thing I worry about is panic sellers who already has profit who can sell down to the bone if their mind goes crazy. But then again if there are buyer to meet them then things can even out.

13RSI & Exit Point ? Empty Re: RSI & Exit Point ? Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:45 pm

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

If I sell now, I can get twice more than what I would get in at the end of the month.
Sell now & but buy back more when the price come down (hopefully it will after the X date) is what I am contemplating.
Is it wise or should I hold ? Embarassed

14RSI & Exit Point ? Empty Re: RSI & Exit Point ? Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:00 pm

Slstock

Slstock

Kithsiri wrote:If I sell now, I can get twice more than what I would get in at the end of the month.

You expect share price to drop 50% by end of the month?

I presume you are talking about JINS due to X date, So you think JINS will fall to Rs 6.5 ?

15RSI & Exit Point ? Empty Re: RSI & Exit Point ? Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:22 pm

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

slstock wrote:
Kithsiri wrote:If I sell now, I can get twice more than what I would get in at the end of the month.
I presume you are talking about JINS due to X date, So you think JINS will fall to Rs 6.5 ?
No, but I am happy if it touches 9 after that (Yes JINS) so that I can buy back my original amount and half of that with the money I will get by exiting now.

Last edited by Kithsiri on Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : For clarity.)

16RSI & Exit Point ? Empty Re: RSI & Exit Point ? Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:16 pm

market bull

market bull

I am also more sensitive about RSI factor.Now i never buy shares at high RSI level.sometime i may miss opportunities, doesn't matter last 6-7 months bare period given us a good lesson & no more panic buying...

17RSI & Exit Point ? Empty Re: RSI & Exit Point ? Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:36 pm

Nick79

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

Kithsiri wrote:
slstock wrote:
No, but I am happy if it touches 9 after that (Yes JINS) so that I can buy back my original amount and half of that with the money I will get by exiting now.

i dont think it will down to 9 under current situation, it will be around 10 -10.50....

18RSI & Exit Point ? Empty Re: RSI & Exit Point ? Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:57 pm

smallville

smallville

malanp wrote:
GLAS – 87.58,
RICH – 77.33,
JINS – 81.13,
UBC – 85.76.

My understanding is RSI above 70 shows there will be a profit taking, so price might drop.

so swing and day traders should exit or should not enter.

but if you plan to hold for a medium term then RSI is irrelavant

Smallville & Slstock, you can correct me if I am wrong..

I dont say ur wrong but its not always RSI 70.. There are chances that RSI rises even above 90 and take a reverse Wink
Yes this is applicable to trading mostly..

19RSI & Exit Point ? Empty Re: RSI & Exit Point ? Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:31 pm

smallville

smallville

Sls,

I've been using RSI/SAR/MACD as the primary indicators for trading. And RSI found to be a great tool buying on lows in a upward moving trend.
Then I thought that I need an indicator to measure the strength of the trend too, otherwise I'd be a buying and waiting till a greater fools come and buy it from me.. Just like buying an illiquid. Wink

So this is a small workaround on technical grounds for buying and selling that I've been trying to master..

So ADX is suitable for measuring the strength of the trend.

So lets see how this Average Directional Index (ADX) could be used for profitable trades;

When the ADX is rising it usually indicates that a strong trend is on the cards. Means there’s a good chance that we could capitalize on this move..
So waiting for a low (dip) to occur would be difficult to measure due to the fast running market. It can happen in an instant and follow the uptrend in the next moment making the profit maximization a fiasco.
This is where we should enter on the strength of the move.
So now we can introduce some rules for us to trade..

• We know id ADX is rising it indicates a possible uptrend so at the time ADX is rising, we buy when the RSI is below some very high threshold. (say 80-85)

What’s the importance? U must have noticed that we would consider a RSI value over 80 is oversold, and we have no clue whether a reversal w3ould be on the cards. On the other hand we’ve witnessed RSI even goes above 90-100 and reverse so potentially missing the benefits of profit maximization. But the above trading rule forces us to buy even in an extremely overbought market provided that ADX is also rising.

Ok.. What if ADX is flat or declining?

We can postpone our entrace until the RSI is below some a threshold like 35 - 50.
Now on this scenario ADX is not indicating us the trend is strong. Therefore; some additional indicators have to be consulted to make sure that the market has somewhat upward movement.
Else we would be buying a security which has not dipped but has a tendency to dip more.
Now this is where 20 day moving average might come in handy.

So for better results, coupling RSI with ADX would be ideal. And by bringing the 20 day MA into the picture, we’re making our entries more vibrant.

Taking profits;

We know the market is rising but the trend is not so strong, therefore a good opportunity to take a profit is where RSI make a spike.
For instance; 9 day RSI rising above 75 or 80 often signals that a correction is imminent. So if the market trend is not that strong we should probably be happy with small profits.

On the other hand, if the ADX is rising we still can risk with the hope of benefiting from the rising trend. In this case when the ADX was rising we would ignore the RSI signal to take our profit.
Its important to remember that when the ADX is rising the RSI tends to get overbought and it can often remain overbought for a surprising length of time.

On the contrary, when the ADX is flat or declining we must make sure we book profits seeing any upside spike in the RSI. Also, any downward spike in the RSI at this point potentially make a profitable entry point too.

Then we can derive some simple trading rule for our entrance;

Similarly, some simple trading rule for our Exits;

1. If the ADX is not rising and if the 9 day RSI is greater than 75 – Sell.
2. If the ADX is rising and sell if the 9 day RSI is greater than 75 and our prfits is considerable – Sell.
3. Define a stop-loss - Exit when the price goes below the 20 day moving average or when the direction of 20 day moving average turns down..

Stop-loss is a concept that is not available in our trading systems, unlike in developed markets. However the term refers to a practice of exiting with minimal losses when trading goes wrong hence I used that term here.
Remember; RSI can even run up to 100 before an imminent fall, that’s why ADX & 20 day MA has been combined with it to have a better gauge to find the entry/exit points..

20RSI & Exit Point ? Empty Re: RSI & Exit Point ? Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:14 am

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

Thanks SmallVille.

21RSI & Exit Point ? Empty Re: RSI & Exit Point ? Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:55 am

wiki

Thank you Smallville

22RSI & Exit Point ? Empty Re: RSI & Exit Point ? Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:11 am

smallville

smallville

Please note that this indicator (ADX) only indicates the strength of a trend and not whether the market has uptrend or downtrend. The direction indication comes by the +DI and -DI lines which are associated with this indicator.

The direction of the ADX line is important for reading trend strength. When the ADX line is rising, trend strength is increasing and price moves in the direction of the trend. When the line is falling, trend strength is decreasing, and price enters a period of retracement or consolidation.

When ADX is above 25 and +DI line is on top of (above) –DI line then it indicates an uptrend. When it is above 25 and –DI line is above +DI line then it indicates a downtrend.

In Amibroker, you'll find all these 3 lines overlap making decisions easier but in DFN these are separate 3 lines.

RSI & Exit Point ? Aaf_wi10

In the above picture;
There are three main lines at the bottom. One is +DI line, another –DI line and the third is our ADX(14) (14 means 14 day) line. Colors indicate each and every line what is it. Also 20day MA has been added to the same chart.

So as u can see I've coupled 2 indicators in ADX chart.. 20day MA & 14 day ADX aprt from +DI & -DI lines..

Then the last chart is RSI chart.

The bold Blue line (ADX line) measures the strength of the trend.. Still we can see its not reached 25. But on the other hand Low ADX is a usually a sign of accumulation or distribution. So what I get from this line is the strenght is getting stronger as it heads up (downward indicates otherwise)

Then the crossovers - when the price was at 2.70-2.800 range +DI line has crossed over -DI line and going up. Surprisingly the RSI has hit 78.36 as of last day close.
The purple color 20day MA line marginally (slightly) heads up and the

Lets bring back my enter criteria to the table and see the matching %

1. The 20 day MA must be rising = Slightly
2. If the ADX is rising then buy if the RSI is less than 85. = TRUE
3. If the ADX is not rising then buy if the RSI is less than 50. = N/A

Only the first two is needed to make a decision cuz as per the AAF chart we've already passed the 3rd criteria so its not applicable (N/A) now.

So I'm not giving a BUY/SELL decision here.

I'm also just testing this so what I feel is RSI can pass 90 while the ADX heads 25+.
3.40 is a resistant level hence Price can mark a pull back to around 2.90-3.0 even. Then we'll have to watch the ADX/RSI directions and strength to enter again.

But better not enter now cuz high RSI & high +DI values have historically signed a trend change too. Since AAF is a new counter the back testings are difficult.

Trade with care..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum