FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Today at 9:08 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Yesterday at 9:13 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by thankrishan Wed May 15, 2024 1:58 pm

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by ChooBoy Fri May 10, 2024 5:29 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Safe or Unsafe shares

+8
3mr
Aamiable
Vinu
UKboy
smallville
RockStock
zazu
wallstreetguy
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Safe or Unsafe shares  Empty Safe or Unsafe shares Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:38 pm

wallstreetguy

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Do these shares have potential growth for a short -long term investment?.
They seem to be a good choice,

KHL.N, LGL.X, JKH.N, NTB.N, DIST.N, AHUN.N, SPEN.N, SEYB.X, UBC.N, LIOC.N

Last edited by Quibit on Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : format condensed)

2Safe or Unsafe shares  Empty Re: Safe or Unsafe shares Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:40 pm

zazu

zazu
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

@wallstreetguy
I bet no one can come up with the safest and not so safest share in the market.

I'll tell you a good example I had a friend who in November bought JKH for 325 thinking it was a safe option, 3 months later he sold the same share for 283, mind you he bought in large quantity. Now he wonders where all the fundamental talks and blue chip company is? So my friend there is no such thing called safe and unsafe. You have to take risk, it might come out well, or it might not.

Cheers

3Safe or Unsafe shares  Empty Re: Safe or Unsafe shares Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:31 pm

RockStock

Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

Investing in shares itself is a high risk option than other conventional investment options, So gaining more and more knowledge and experience is the key to reduce the intrinsic risk of the Equity investment, in contrast other investment options you don't need to have much knowledge ,eg, if you save in FD you get the due interest despite of you knowledge on finance.

In Zazu's example, I think JKH was way much overvalued at 325 at that time and even now.It is trading more thas P/E of 35.Buying a Blue chip stock per se won't give you higher return, some times a penny share would give you much higher return than a share like JKH during the above mentioned time period.On the other hand a share like JKH might have future growth and will be good as a long term investment, so that a long term player will enter JKH and forget about it for some years and might end up with decent return.

It is vital to understand the time span of your investment,i.e long term,medium term,short term or ultra short term/day trading and select the most suitable stocks for that time period accordingly, Which I believe Zazu's friend failed at.

I think the lesser the knowledge and experince you have on this game, the longer term investment option you should adopt, in order to become a winner. At the same time higher the knowledge and experience you have higher the gain you can get.

4Safe or Unsafe shares  Empty Re: Safe or Unsafe shares Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:46 pm

wallstreetguy

Agreed with both comments. i believe in long term investment, since i'm 18 and new to the game and catching up with it.

As I have learnt, always invest money which your willing to risk, but as I have monitored the market, some players dont go according to the rule. If investors learn and apply what Warren Buffet says, then people wouldnt have a much risk and would do well.

Rule No.1: Never lose money, Rule No.2 Never forget rule no. 1.

As Zazu mentioned, its always the risk taking factor. And the player shoudl know to calculate the risks.

" I think the lesser the knowledge and experince you have on this game, the longer term investment option you should adopt, in order to become a winner. At the same time higher the knowledge and experience you have higher the gain you can get "- Rock Stock, well said.

I know less at the moment, but I know investors should have a good entering time and a exit strategy, such as buy stocks, when there is a bearish run, but our peoples physcological factor is processing differently.

Why I chose these stocks are for simple understanding of the business ,current enviroment and economy

KHL.N0000 , AHUN.N0000- Tourist Boom in the near future, future growth?
LGL.X0000- CPC sold 50% of LPG, future growth ?
LIOC.N0000- News sources tell me Oil prices are going to go sky high in the near future. future growth?
UBC.N0000- Its a bank it has growth potential. future growth?

Am I getting somewhere, or am I lost ? Very Happy

5Safe or Unsafe shares  Empty Re: Safe or Unsafe shares Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:00 pm

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

Believe me or not KHL is a dead deal.. unless u wanna keep this share for the next 5 yrs expecting a miracle.. if u want hotels, I think CONN, TAJ, HUNA are better pics.. And UBC is trading at a PE multiplication of 40+ now.. unless u hope CEO can do miracles, there are plenty more banks with higher potential like SAMP, NTB, for long term COMB, DFCC..

So ur not that lost.. but u'll be if you dont start doing some analysis.. Mind u, reading topics covered on this forum can lead you to some extend... but since ur new dont touch illiquids with higher risk/ higher gain... Many could be discussed here but forget abt those until u learn the market behavior, crowd thinking, etc..

Wat RockStock has earlier mentioned could be highly useful..

Its good to go behind simple understandable business with in a sector where further growth is expected.. Poultry is one such sector, constructions is another one.. Now do more studies for a start Wink

6Safe or Unsafe shares  Empty Re: Safe or Unsafe shares Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:44 am

UKboy

UKboy
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Excellent posts by both Smallville & Rockstock. If you are a beginner willing to learn, these posts provides much needed advise.

Bear in mind in this forum some people are trying hard to push already valued shares to the next level.
When you ask the question what is the potential? Most will say "X" number of new projects in coming years.
Agreed
Almost all the listed companies are expanding. This is true for companies like DIST, SAMP, JKH or companies like GREG or PHAR.

But they simply forget that SOME of these companies already valued for future projects. Unless you think 40-1000 PE value of a company is acceptable (I'm not talking about the companies in investment trusts sector).
At the same time some companies showing very low P/E values. This could be due to just one off capital gain.

7Safe or Unsafe shares  Empty Re: Safe or Unsafe shares Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:18 am

Vinu

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Agreed with smallville,KHL is only the name and almost dead.Still people have a faith on big name and waiting for a miracle in unkown future bearing huge oppertunity cost.Threre are many opportunites in BAF sector rather investing on UBC.To me MBSL has huge potentials and very good investement compare to its avarage price in BAF sector

8Safe or Unsafe shares  Empty Re: Safe or Unsafe shares Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:37 am

Aamiable

Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics

Very safe invetments. KHL.N, LGL.X, JKH.N, NTB.N, DIST.N, AHUN.N, SPEN.N, SEYB.X, UBC.N, LIOC.N found to be safe investments. up and down movement was very little. now recovering. good long term investments. one day they can go up.

9Safe or Unsafe shares  Empty Re: Safe or Unsafe shares Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:08 am

3mr

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

I agree that KHL is a dead share. I had some and had to wait for a long time to sell it with very little gain. Look at the price movement. It hardly has any movement.

Food sector would be much better. Of you compare poultry stocks they are trading at attractive P/E ratio. Only thing that I have observed in BFL is that crowd interest can be seen certain times and then it has a very high momentum. Try to go against the crowd and properly time your buy/sell decisions.

I am not an expert, this is my experience. Take your own decisions.

thanks

10Safe or Unsafe shares  Empty Re: Safe or Unsafe shares Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:21 pm

wallstreetguy

well it seems like KHL has some negative reviews. How come, they performing well, they have many hotels all over the country and maldives.
maybe good things take time i guess and it will move later.

Cheers for all the previous comments.

Where can I get historic information about the stocks other than CSE. i cannot sign up because they admin told me that they are on maintainence.

11Safe or Unsafe shares  Empty Re: Safe or Unsafe shares Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:09 pm

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics

wallstreetguy wrote:well it seems like KHL has some negative reviews. How come, they performing well, they have many hotels all over the country and maldives.
maybe good things take time i guess and it will move later.

Cheers for all the previous comments.

Where can I get historic information about the stocks other than CSE. i cannot sign up because they admin told me that they are on maintainence.

KHL has being stagnant for over an year. Many people had bad experiences holding this share. Last quarter khl reproted signed of financial recovery. best to watch what next quarter is like.

In answer to "Where can I get historic information about the stocks other than CSE. i cannot sign up because they admin told me that they are on maintainence. "

goto :

www.slstock.com

login with : guest
password : guest

it seems to be down also now. But try again later
it is free

12Safe or Unsafe shares  Empty Re: Safe or Unsafe shares Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:01 pm

smallville

smallville

KHL may have so many hotels under it but its not moving.. thats the reality.. Same like DIAL.. DIAL has a larger market cap but its mostly .20-.30 cents increase/decrease a week and the same trend continues..

MY point is; rather than waiting for a miracle to happen u can get rid of it at a good time with a small loss and that loss even could be turned to a 'no loss' if you pick the right stocks next..

13Safe or Unsafe shares  Empty Re: Safe or Unsafe shares Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:21 pm

Vinu

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

To my knowlege, if anyone only expecting devidents by investing share market, then its much better you put you money in fixed deposit without taking any risk by investing on shares.

14Safe or Unsafe shares  Empty Re: Safe or Unsafe shares Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:27 am

mark

mark
Expert
Expert

Vinu wrote:To my knowlege, if anyone only expecting devidents by investing share market, then its much better you put you money in fixed deposit without taking any risk by investing on shares.

agree..........but it's even profitable to get the dividend when comparing to current interest rates....... Sad Sad Sad

15Safe or Unsafe shares  Empty Re: Safe or Unsafe shares Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:10 am

Monster

Monster

Aamiable wrote:Very safe invetments. KHL.N, LGL.X, JKH.N, NTB.N, DIST.N, AHUN.N, SPEN.N, SEYB.X, UBC.N, LIOC.N found to be safe investments. up and down movement was very little. now recovering. good long term investments. one day they can go up.
I think LIOC is better investment for medium term. But I do not this it's a best selection for long term. Because it's growth is completely depends on govement policies. I too hold some LIOC shares in my portfolio which I collected below NAV price.

16Safe or Unsafe shares  Empty Re: Safe or Unsafe shares Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:47 pm

wallstreetguy

NTB.N (Nations Trust Bank), HHL.N (Hemas Holdings),DIST.N (Distilleries)

Are these good shares for long term, or will it take futher dips.

Are they on their peak?

17Safe or Unsafe shares  Empty Re: Safe or Unsafe shares Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm

ShareShares

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

In a way they are all good shares , liquid slow rising, all depend on the type of investors , some prefer to buy some shares and forget them for 6 months , after some time they see that prices have gone up slowly. Some others expect rapid growth. I always keep some of those shares on a medium to long term basis. Actually they are safer options. Individual preferences are different, stock market need all types of investors.

18Safe or Unsafe shares  Empty Re: Safe or Unsafe shares Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:24 pm

wallstreetguy

comb.x seyb.x ntb.n ubc.n
ahun.n reef.n taj.n
hhl.n spen.n rich.n

i calculated the p/e ratio for each of these shares, and they seems to be alrite.?

But i'm little abit confused. If the P/E Ratio is high? Is it a growth stock or undervalued stock.

Your opinions on theses above stocks will be appreciated.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum