FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by ChooBoy Yesterday at 5:29 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Yesterday at 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

CDB managed a good EPS last quarter, but they cash in hand ...

+2
Fresher
ccsentha
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ccsentha

Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics

cdb managed a good eps last quarter, but cash flow statement shows net cash out flow, they have had cash out flow in previous quarters as well......is this the reason why it's trading with a low P/E? will this be another twod?? as they don't seem to have cash ne....

Fresher

true. but good if you read every item and understand why. For me, I don't see any 'issue'

Also remember it's a bank

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics

Good answer.

npp wrote:true. but good if you read every item and understand why. For me, I don't see any 'issue'

Chinwi

Chinwi
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

If a bank keep its money with them that is bad.
If they advance them to the customers as much as possible that will generate income. In fact, that is their business.

I also cannot see any problem in the reports.

rainmaker

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

What you are observing is typical of a finance company that has grown its loan book by 50% for about two years in a row. The cash problem will most likely be solved with a debenture not a rights issue.

What CDB needs to ensure is that the loans disbursed don't start to tank and that expenses are kept low. If this happens .... well that's another story

What you should observe:
1. CDB has parked 800M/= in commercial banks. Up from 90M/=. Why? Because of CAR requirements for CB.
2. Net fund advance to customers has increased by 500M/= in 9 months. Is this high or low for you?
3. Bank overdraft has increased by 400M/=. Why?

It is always good to have a cash positive statement.

The time to buy CDB is when the risk profile decreases. This occurs when the lending portfolio becomes self financing. That is you can close the portfolio and still pay customers, staff, overheads etc. Any new deposits and new loans become a luxury and hence add more value. This is what PLC has become.

hettdas

hettdas

npp wrote:true. but good if you read every item and understand why. For me, I don't see any 'issue'

Who says it is a "Bank"

It is " Citizens Development Business Finance PLC" . It is a Finance Company Very Happy

rainmaker

hettdas wrote:

Who says it is a "Bank"

It is " Citizens Development Business Finance PLC" . It is a Finance Company Very Happy

Its funny you said that. During pre ipo discussion in the last minute we were told by a director that it didn't have banking licence - a lot of us thought it was a bank. We were told it's name is now Citizen's Development Bank. Why not CDBF.
The room went silent for about 5 minutes. Shocked

After wards we realised that it was not Ceylinco Savings Bank - taken by MBSL. In hindsight the IPO price would have been more.

Slstock

Slstock

Rainmaker,
As you seems a lot knowleadble with CDB let me ask something?

Do you think CDB will go down or be a further growth company?

Even well managed entities can have financial short comings at some
point. What we need to worry is whether the management is trustworty and
reputable andwhat they do to resolve the issues.

rainmaker wrote:

The time to buy CDB is when the risk profile
decreases. This occurs when the lending portfolio becomes self
financing. That is you can close the portfolio and still pay customers,
staff, overheads etc. Any new deposits and new loans become a luxury and
hence add more value. This is what PLC has become.

When that time comes,do you think CDB price will be same or much lesser? Will there be big possibility that it can be more?

rainmaker

I can't comment on CDB's share price as a buy/sell recommendation. The share price performed better than expected on the first day (if you remember). Institutional investors rarely buy into finance companies and hence retailers will carry the stock.
Apart form short term fluctuation, CDB should get enough support to be ok.

I generally don't recommend finance company shares - note how foreign investors stay away. What I do recommend is good stock picking in firms that totally dominate the market.

Slstock

Slstock

I think you should re-read what I asked . It it not really about
buying/ selling and share price. If we wait till everything to fall in
place ( like what you expected for CDB) it might take years. By that time the train might have run. Shares prices run ahead with expectation. Important thing is do you trust the management and are they strong enough to re structure in a crisis and come out stronger.

You many not be fan of fianance ( I see it too) . It is okay. But as you have talked a lot about CDB , I would like you to comment on other companies in the sector too so redears can do a comparison. At some point even LFIN had serious issues. We remember what LFIN was under vanik influence. Now? It was turned around with good management. Even few years ago their gearing was high to worrysome level . (even if one does not analyse too deep) But the present cash balance situation is turning vey healthy and their ratings are improving. LFIN is gradually giving a run for CFIN for future leader position ( might take a lot of years more) in the sector as far as private companeis are concerned.

What do you see in companies such as COCR and VFIN then.

As immediately troubled companies I see TFC , CIFL in the front. TFC is taking far too long to recover, I rememebr in 1 quarter they looked like they are about to turn around, then again in a hole. CDB is not troubled as of now and i see no big issues.

Now about picking market dominant shares, Yes it is good and need to have them in our basket. But we should have short , medium and long term shares and also include large, medium and small caps. Share market tend to run in step in recovery. We saw what happened during 4700-600o run. It was not market dominant shares that had to biggest recoveries always.

So in the future if you can also give your insight into penny sotcks, small caps , mid caps etc it would be good.

Anyway thanks for your inputs so far.

rainmaker wrote:I can't comment on CDB's share price as a buy/sell recommendation. The share price performed better than expected on the first day (if you remember). Institutional investors rarely buy into finance companies and hence retailers will carry the stock.
Apart form short term fluctuation, CDB should get enough support to be ok.

I generally don't recommend finance company shares - note how foreign investors stay away. What I do recommend is good stock picking in firms that totally dominate the market.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum