FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Today at 9:08 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Yesterday at 9:13 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by thankrishan Wed May 15, 2024 1:58 pm

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by ChooBoy Fri May 10, 2024 5:29 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Shall i exit ??????

+12
tubal
raa
milanka
tkc
wis
Academic
ipoguru
StocksWatch
cse1981
Rajitha
Slstock
million
16 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Shall i exit ?????? Empty Shall i exit ?????? Tue May 03, 2011 5:40 pm

million

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

hi guys,

i have a very bad feeling about the market and now that my confidence has gone away so i plan to exit poultry stocks. I expect the fall to continue due to the june credit clearence.no one wants to pay more to buy when they could get it cheaper in june.but one thing i couldnt understand about the chicks why doesnt it hold on when other stock can. Gran fell to 160 last month picked up to 190 then again 140.same with tafl.while the below dropped but holding on,

Kgal - droped to 200 and still around that.
Namu - droped to 113 and holding on
CFLB,LCEY are other examples of this.

why do you think this is. is it the Chicken bubble bursting ??

Please also advice me on exiting the poultry stocks ?

2Shall i exit ?????? Empty Re: Shall i exit ?????? Tue May 03, 2011 5:46 pm

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics

million wrote:hi guys,

i have a very bad feeling about the market and now that my confidence has gone away so i plan to exit poultry stocks. I expect the fall to continue due to the june credit clearence.no one wants to pay more to buy when they could get it cheaper in june.but one thing i couldnt understand about the chicks why doesnt it hold on when other stock can. Gran fell to 160 last month picked up to 190 then again 140.same with tafl.while the below dropped but holding on,

Best t observe market for a few more days. Panickin now might not be best. BFL reports might be duein the near future. Let see what happens tommorow.
. It can dip a bit more but bounce back. Just watch if it goes to around ASI 7200 if it does we need to be more careful .

3Shall i exit ?????? Empty Re: Shall i exit ?????? Tue May 03, 2011 6:54 pm

Rajitha

Rajitha
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Let Me give you a small tip! I don't like to post here a lot now but felt to really say this!
IF you ask a forum like this regarding if to sell the shares you have or not THEY WILL ALWAYS TRY TO CONVINCE YOU TO HOLD ON AT LEAST THE MAJORITY! thats the name of the game!

Do you really think they would like to see market going down? Even if they tell you to sell it might most probably be after they sell those shares! Forget poultry stocks its true to anything!

My advice is Try to analyse the market and don't rely on these forum to get an idea when to enter or to exit the market!

4Shall i exit ?????? Empty Re: Shall i exit ?????? Tue May 03, 2011 7:17 pm

cse1981

cse1981
Manager - Equity Analytics

I THINK some time extent credit clearing period Shall i exit ?????? Icon_razz[/size]

[/size]

5Shall i exit ?????? Empty Re: Shall i exit ?????? Tue May 03, 2011 8:03 pm

StocksWatch

Rajitha, with all due respect to you, I am in disagreement with your statement "THEY WILL ALWAYS TRY TO CONVINCE YOU TO HOLD ON AT LEAST THE MAJORITY!"

The issue here is the members are mostly asking the opinion whether to sell or hold when the share is in or near the oversold region. It is understandable that when the price is rising, very rarely they will be bothered to ask this question.

Beside that who is the investor in CSE do you think will like to see the market going down?

I agree with your advice "Try to analyse the market and don't rely on these forum to get an idea when to enter or to exit the market!"

Last edited by StocksWatch on Tue May 03, 2011 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Formatting)

6Shall i exit ?????? Empty Re: Shall i exit ?????? Tue May 03, 2011 9:48 pm

ipoguru

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Please check the GRAN graph.
Shall i exit ?????? Y_T_74

It has gone up to 250 and coming down since then in a steep slope.
My prediction is it will not go below 125 for sure.... If market drops to 50% of previous peak value there is very high resistance level from there.....

I also don't see it will go down below 140 level unless this red market continues. If the red market continues it will go down further....

IF you are smart to find out when the market turning point is you may exit now and buy at the turning point.
Never exit this fully I do not see any other stocks which has potential to go up like chicken stocks. If this start running it will be in 200 no time. You may sell but monitor the turning point very closely so that you can re enter.

Don't forget that perpetual hold big stake in GRAN and TAFL and they bought at 230 levels. They will try to average their costs and then make the market high.

7Shall i exit ?????? Empty Re: Shall i exit ?????? Tue May 03, 2011 9:53 pm

ipoguru

ipoguru wrote:Please check the GRAN graph.

My prediction is it will not go below 125 for sure.... If market drops to 50% of previous peak value there is very high resistance level from there.....

I also don't see it will go down below 140 level unless this red market continues. If the red market continues it will go down further....

IF you are smart to find out when the market turning point is you may exit now and buy at the turning point.
Never exit this fully I do not see any other stocks which has potential to go up like chicken stocks. If this start running it will be in 200 no time. You may sell but monitor the turning point very closely so that you can re enter.

Don't forget that perpetual hold big stake in GRAN and TAFL and they bought at 230 levels. They will try to average their costs and then make the market high.

FYI Today I sold DIST and bought GRAN at 143 levels... and UBC at 31.60 levels I do not know whether to cry or laugh :lol!: :lol!: will know soon though

I was wrong I should have kept money with me till the market recovery trend observed.....

Last edited by ipoguru on Wed May 04, 2011 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

8Shall i exit ?????? Empty Re: Shall i exit ?????? Tue May 03, 2011 10:11 pm

Academic

Rajitha wrote: Let Me give you a small tip! I don't like to post here a lot now but felt to really say this!
IF you ask a forum like this regarding if to sell the shares you have or not THEY WILL ALWAYS TRY TO CONVINCE YOU TO HOLD ON AT LEAST THE MAJORITY! thats the name of the game!

Do you really think they would like to see market going down? Even if they tell you to sell it might most probably be after they sell those shares! Forget poultry stocks its true to anything!

My advice is Try to analyse the market and don't rely on these forum to get an idea when to enter or to exit the market!

Well said, though after long. + rep from me.

Just to complement that there may be some who wants to bring prices down. And collect low.

9Shall i exit ?????? Empty Re: Shall i exit ?????? Wed May 04, 2011 1:04 am

Slstock

Slstock

Rajitha wrote: Let Me give you a small tip! I don't like to post here a lot now but felt to really say this!

I can't agree with this general statement saying "Do you really think they would like to see market going down?Even if they tell you to sell it might most probably be after they sell those shares!"

Maybe some want to see market go down so they can collect low. That sometimes a manipulator job.

If someone makes a blunt statement like "Hold","Sell" or "Buy"and if the poster don't makes sense, the reader can discard posters opinion. This is a public forum and I agree all kinds of people can exist. The Genuine, the cunning, the pessimists , the optimists , the analysts , the fundamentalists, the technical people, and the people trying to make their own hidden agendas. If the posters content make sense to you , you can take it or if they don' you can reject it as it is upto the reader to anaylze and decide the validity.

However the below statement is good advice. "My advice is Try to analyse the market and don't rely on these forum to get an idea when to enter or to exit the market!"

As I already commented on Million question , leaving that a side in general it is good to note certain shares are at 8-9 month lows. ( not poultry) If a new comer want to panic and sell at this time at the lowest ( yes it can go down further if the market is weak) it will not be good advice for a Medium to Long term investor ( [b]am not talking about SHort term or gambling
)

It all depends on your holding power and the intension of investment. I am more of a Medium to Long term investor. I have shares which I held for over 3 years still. So mostly my opinion will be based on the Medium term atleast.

If someone want to go short term, or gamble then the situation will be different. Reducing losses by stop loss can be considered in such cases.

10Shall i exit ?????? Empty Re: Shall i exit ?????? Wed May 04, 2011 7:21 am

wis

If you buy when the market is going up and if you sell every time the market is going down, you will end up with nothing. Usually stock investing is a 3-5 year investment. If you have invested in good businesses is there anything to worry? When funds and investment companies bought SPEN, COMB and even GRAN etc. recently they're not worried about big dips in the on going market. They don't think oh I bought it at that price but now it's this, i should sell it. When you compare the final outcome in 3-5 years fuzzing over today's big dips will look ridiculous at that time. Those dips will look insignificant in the future charts. You will wonder why I fuzzed over Rs. 10, 50 at that time when I could have made 200% if I had it now. Sri Lanka still has growth potential for couple of years before it becomes steady.

11Shall i exit ?????? Empty Re: Shall i exit ?????? Wed May 04, 2011 7:26 am

tkc

tkc

I m impressed with your post my friend!! Smile

12Shall i exit ?????? Empty Re: Shall i exit ?????? Wed May 04, 2011 7:42 am

milanka

milanka
Vice President - Equity Analytics

tkc wrote:

I m impressed with your post my friend!! Smile

Me too !!

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/u188

13Shall i exit ?????? Empty Re: Shall i exit ?????? Wed May 04, 2011 8:42 am

million

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Thanks guys, for all your advices.

i think i have to improvise my strategy once again to suite this market. wish all the very best including me to survive in this market.

14Shall i exit ?????? Empty Re: Shall i exit ?????? Wed May 04, 2011 8:56 am

Rajitha

Rajitha

Can I ask the question from some of the people posting here who think market is at at a bottom! How do you know this is the bottom and not a top for these few months? Can you say for sure the market might not drop even 500 ASI more and the shares will follow in 1.5 months time ?
I'm Personally in the process of clearing all my t+5 Credit ATM and i'm keep some credit till some of the quarterly reports pop up! Shortly after I'm hoping to clear as much as half of my portfolio if possible considering the market situation!
The market is driven by FEAR and GREED and its high time people start to realize this!

On a personal side note regarding chick stocks, I just hope GRAN don't drop to rs 120-130 level for everyone sake! Although the market sentiment + the order book clearly indicate its heading their!

15Shall i exit ?????? Empty Re: Shall i exit ?????? Wed May 04, 2011 3:11 pm

raa

This market is and has been so artificially inflated that it could not be sustained. With regard to the chicken run, my opinion is that for the most part it was caused due to a massive collection by Perpetual as opposed to any sort of fundamental value run where the price would peak and maybe fall and settle at a new higher equilibrium. I.e, price catches up with earnings.

So for all practical purposes, it wouldn't be weird for the stock to keep declining in price with a few hopefuls stepping in every now and then to stabilise the price or to make a quick buck for themselves until the overall market sentiment changes and buying confidence and momentum sets in. At that point, it will be easier to see a price floor for the stocks in question.

Also mind you, there is another credit clearing deadline in June and if things were bad before, they must be worse for those who have taken credit or still have credit as most stocks have declined further since. Sad

16Shall i exit ?????? Empty Re: Shall i exit ?????? Wed May 04, 2011 3:16 pm

StocksWatch

Good point raa.

17Shall i exit ?????? Empty Re: Shall i exit ?????? Wed May 04, 2011 5:50 pm

tubal

Rajitha wrote:Can I ask the question from some of the people posting here who think market is at at a bottom! How do you know this is the bottom and not a top for these few months? Can you say for sure the market might not drop even 500 ASI more and the shares will follow in 1.5 months time ?
I'm Personally in the process of clearing all my t+5 Credit ATM and i'm keep some credit till some of the quarterly reports pop up! Shortly after I'm hoping to clear as much as half of my portfolio if possible considering the market situation!
The market is driven by FEAR and GREED and its high time people start to realize this!

On a personal side note regarding chick stocks, I just hope GRAN don't drop to rs 120-130 level for everyone sake! Although the market sentiment + the order book clearly indicate its heading their!

I am not in the habit of agreeing with Rajitha but this time I am with him + from me.

wis wrote:If you buy when the market is going up and if you sell every time the market is going down, you will end up with nothing. Usually stock investing is a 3-5 year investment. If you have invested in good businesses is there anything to worry? When funds and investment companies bought SPEN, COMB and even GRAN etc. recently they're not worried about big dips in the on going market. They don't think oh I bought it at that price but now it's this, i should sell it. When you compare the final outcome in 3-5 years fuzzing over today's big dips will look ridiculous at that time. Those dips will look insignificant in the future charts. You will wonder why I fuzzed over Rs. 10, 50 at that time when I could have made 200% if I had it now. Sri Lanka still has growth potential for couple of years before it becomes steady.

Wis, investing in a 5 year time frame is fine but you still need to know when to get out. Sadly very many people in the CSE doesn't seem to know that.

I certainly don't advocate buying every trough and selling every peak on the short term trend. That's impossible, not even quants with automated trading systems can do so. And in a bear market it's a very risky thing to do.

However certainly makes sense to exit a stock when it's trading at an all time high, when the PER has risen to absurd levels and when the market appears to be over heated.

Raa sums it up perfectly:
raa wrote:This market is and has been so artificially inflated that it could not be sustained.

BFL for example was a fantastic pick at 65, 150 and even 300 but those who bought need to ask themselves does the factors that made it a great buy at 65 still apply at 500?

18Shall i exit ?????? Empty Re: Shall i exit ?????? Wed May 04, 2011 6:22 pm

stockanalytic

stockanalytic

In my view
1. Analyse the chart...
2. Buy the fundamental stocks (others if chart suggest strong uptrend)
3. Don't use credit.
4. calculate the selling price according to percentage of gain that you are expecting.
5. Put the selling order in GTC. renew it every 5 days.
6. Go to nice sleep.
7. Always satisfy with your profit, don't feel sad when it moving further up or further down.

19Shall i exit ?????? Empty Re: Shall i exit ?????? Wed May 04, 2011 6:45 pm

thanujav

thanujav
Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

stockanalytic wrote:In my view
1. Analyse the chart...
3. Don't use credit.
4. calculate the selling price according to percentage of gain that you are expecting.
6. Go to nice sleep.
7. Always satisfy with your profit, don't feel sad when it moving further up or further down.

Good advise, 100% agreed.

20Shall i exit ?????? Empty Re: Shall i exit ?????? Wed May 04, 2011 8:48 pm

raa

stockanalytic wrote:In my view
1. Analyse the chart...
3. Don't use credit.
6. Go to nice sleep.

Well said!

In my case, I only use steps 3, 4, 6, and 7.

Profit is profit, so be happy with what you have or it'll dishearten you and prevent you from seizing other opportunities. I would know, I offloaded all my BFL from 300rs upwards with my last 1000 shares being sold at 360rs. I cried for days....There are always opportunities in the market, you just have to be optimistic enough to look for them. (I might be wrong about this, but don't tell me Razz )

Another cardinal truth about this market that I've found out to be true is what Warren Buffet said... Buy a stock that you are willing to hold even if the stock market closes down! (or something like that)...

21Shall i exit ?????? Empty Re: Shall i exit ?????? Wed May 04, 2011 10:06 pm

avilon

avilon
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

In the Union Bank IPO the market rapidly came down 2-3 days before the IPO.Can we expect the same thing with Expo Lanka .

Although there are some negative facts I think this IPO will also get over subscribed just like other IPO's held recently . Rolling Eyes

22Shall i exit ?????? Empty Re: Shall i exit ?????? Sat May 07, 2011 2:52 pm

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

million wrote:hi guys,

If you can hold your horses and keep ur chin up Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum