FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Today at 9:08 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Yesterday at 9:13 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by thankrishan Wed May 15, 2024 1:58 pm

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by ChooBoy Fri May 10, 2024 5:29 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

WHY RIGHTS ISSUES LEAD TO IMMEDIATE SHARE PRICE FALL

+4
randikagap
Roboticfx
Fairtrade
RPPA
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

RPPA

Expert
Expert

I really can't understand the point behind senseless selling  after announcement of rights. If the shareholder doesn't have money he can sell the right.

Mainly the reason behind rights issues are for future expansions or settling some debt. Which is to benefit the company in the longer run specially by strengthening the balance sheet.

Some can argue that the price of rights is too high. It is not the case in CSE once the announcement share holders selling outrageously what ever the rights price is. For me just people selling as a trend with no scene.

EX- ASCO rights priced 12.50 at a super discount with attached warrant. Very attractive but price still came down.

Forum members this is open for your valuable comments.

Fairtrade

Fairtrade
Manager - Equity Analytics

RPPA. There is a fundamental issue in understanding. I hope they are afraid of subscriptions of funds for the rights. Or else ppl who want to buy low may panic investors an buy.

RPPA

Expert
Expert

Fairtrade wrote:RPPA. There is a fundamental issue in understanding. I hope they are afraid of subscriptions of funds for the rights. Or else ppl who want to buy low may panic investors an buy.

Yes but they can sell the right no ??????

I feel now this has become a trend to follow the others. Any way the main people behind the stocks benefiting as they can buy low.

Thnks FAIRTRADE for your comments.

Others please share your views. At least try to change the thinking pattern of investors on substance rather than follow trends.

Roboticfx

Roboticfx
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

I couldn't get the exact point you meant but I like to explain how market price falls after a rights issue.

It occurs due to increase in liquidity. For an example,

X company has issued 20,000 shares at Rs.10 each.
Total amount(Capitalisation) = Rs. 200,000

It issues rights at 2:1 ratio @ Rs.5 each.
Total Amount = 50,000
New 10,000 shares injected. (20,000/2)

With the assumpiton of static capitalisation,
(Market Capitalisation does not change)

New Capitalisation = 250,0000 /
Available no of shares = 30,000
So, assumed price of a share will be = Rs. 8.30

This is really a model example and in the real world it is affected by investors sentimants and other related facts.
As an example I can point out, 'the reduction of DPS after a rights issue'.

Roboticfx

Roboticfx

As you stated, rights owner can sell his/her rights, but definitely there should be a buyer available to buy, what he/she sells. At the end of rights trading, all requested rights are converted.

RPPA

Expert
Expert

Roboticfx wrote:I couldn't get the exact point you meant but I like to explain how market price falls after a rights issue.

It occurs due to increase in liquidity. For an example,

X company has issued 20,000 shares at Rs.10 each.
Total amount(Capitalisation) = Rs. 200,000

It issues rights at 2:1 ratio @ Rs.5 each.
Total Amount = 50,000
New 10,000 shares injected. (20,000/2)

With the assumpiton of static capitalisation,
(Market Capitalisation does not change)

New Capitalisation = 250,0000 /
Available no of shares =  30,000
So, assumed price of a share will be =  Rs. 8.30

This is really a model example and in the real world it is affected by investors sentimants and other related facts.
As an example I can point out, 'the reduction of DPS after a rights issue'.

Roboticfx

Thanks for what you have posted. But i very well know the scenario after the rights issue. The problem for me is why sell immediately after the announcement. Rights supposed to be raised for the betterment of the company.

Fairtrade

Fairtrade

Roboticfx is correct after the exright date. But our concern is why price comes down immediately after the announcement of rights without at least knowing the dates of the rights.

Roboticfx

Roboticfx

Yeah, I understood what you meant.

That's mainly due to investors sentiments

1. When a weak company is going to issue rights, it would be a signal of applying remedies against a highly material threat.

2. When right's price looks not much attractive, investors try to exit early, because after rights trade, there would be a price fall.

3. If number of rights issued is a higher value, it definitely affects to DPS adversely. This reason becomes active when DPS before rights is a higher value and dividend date is (xd) not much close.

4. misunderstand by new investors. They may think it's mandatory to buy rights. This facts looks not much effective, but it's not a rare incident.

5. Postpone purchasing decisons untill price falls afer rights traded. (when rights are not much lucrative)

6. If majority of current shareholders are holding less quantities. The benefit they receive through the rights issue is lessen by higher payment charges. (eg: bankdraft fees etc.)

randikagap

Stock Analytic
Stock Analytic

The company them self had valued the share price at Rs.100.36 (Rs.2,526,532,200/- represented by 25,175,322 shares)
That could be the fundamental reason for sudden down fall in price.

Then after the right issue of new 12,587,661 of shares, average price will be accounted at Rs.93.57

However unless the company or the major share holders (14 out of 20 main share holders are related parties) expect to under value the price of the share, price might rise back to Rs.110/- or close (high or low) prior to the xd.

Further, as secondary reasons one might consider the company position after the new directive by CBSL to amalgamate financial companies. Since SDB will be the only company not be amalgamated (as per my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong), it's capability will be questionable and at prevailing interest rates sustainability in market is also at stake.

Even if the case might be, Rs.7.0 or similar dividend in the next financial year will be highly attractive compared to what is offered by other FIs and price might be re gained to a reasonable value in the medium run.
-----------------------------------------------------
Average man is highly motive by real money
-----------------------------------------------------

RPPA

Expert
Expert

It is really appreciate that some members are sharing their valuable comments.

If we look at the last 3 years or even more for all rights issues what ever the price they have issued at what ever the company is the share price reduced immediately after the announcement.

EX- even JKH

For me this is some sentiment issue in our market. In other developed markets it not as ours. They react based fundamental facts where they look at future after the rights.

Remember COMPANIES ARE VALUED AT ITS FUTURE EARNINGS POTENTIAL. not on hysterical data.

I think i our market a fear of trend has been created over time. So all follow the trend." where is the buyer match it & sell'.

Have you seen yesterday the marker had a real negative impact due to the big fall of SDB. For me it's a fairly sound stock on paper with good earnings & higher NAV.

Some doesn't like the name SANASA not that posh like JKH isn't it. It's a old fashion government connected company.

Any way i didn't promote that share thankfully. But it's good stock just look the financials.

worthiness

Being a way of raising capital for companies, rights issues are offered to existing shareholders at a discounted price. Thereby, net profit of the company is shared by a large number of shares after the addition of new shares to existed level resulting a diluted earning per share.
So, as Robotic explained above, the value of existing shares will decline by a certain percentage. Some are in view of ignoring the offer is unwise. Some attracts it considering the future prospects & strength of the company into long term period. SDB concerned, current downfall, as I feel, is combination of investors sentiment, manipulation activity. heavy profit taking & switching to new counters.

Chanuque

Chanuque

The bottom-line is that when an entity goes for rights, means lacking reserves ( bad performances or management ). Thus, the negative sign has been there already. So, funding its debts or future expansions, has to done prudently ..

windi5

windi5

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t37318-sdb-what-to-do.

RPPA. Encouraging panic and senseless selling.

IO3+O

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

windi5 wrote:http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t37318-sdb-what-to-do.

WHY RIGHTS ISSUES LEAD TO IMMEDIATE SHARE PRICE FALL Ext_se10

RPPA

Expert
Expert

windi5 wrote:http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t37318-sdb-what-to-do.

No i am not. Just read the content carefully & make your own call.

I am happy to help out people on what i know. Not what i don't know.

Fairtrade

Fairtrade

Hoping to see what will exactly happen. Don't forget big investors eying on this share to increase their stake since there are no big shareholder and no of shares in the market is also less. If they have a big shareholder who owns at least 40% this right issue will not come.

RPPA

Expert
Expert

Fairtrade wrote:Hoping to see what will exactly happen. Don't forget big investors eying on this share to increase their stake since there are no big shareholder and no of shares in the market is also less. If they have a big shareholder who owns at least 40% this right issue will not come.

You got the point exactly right. BANG 6,6,6,6,6,6

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum