FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by ChooBoy Today at 5:29 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Today at 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Yesterday at 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are you helping the market? Please Read!

+4
san1985
ruwa
Quibit
Sunnyside
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Are you helping the market? Please Read! Empty Are you helping the market? Please Read! Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:37 pm

Sunnyside

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Some investors, their perception, short sighted thinking or I am just a pandithaya
I am no expert in stock market by any means, just voicing my opinions

• A thing that I have noticed on the forum recently is how people quickly come to conclusion “ewarai” “end of stock market” “disaster””market crashing” “blood bath” buzz word—the usage of such terms are quite heavy, whilst you may not notice the impact of such words are high. Whilst I am not a expert in stock markets I know for a fact that as a country we are stable though there are many short comings but we are in a transition period
• One of the easiest comments that arise is “yahapalanaya” and how it is not yielding results—to date it is 7-8 working days since the new government has been appointed, there have been many good decision taken and some questionable decision too, but guys if I am not mistaken results would not happen overnight, what’s done by previous governments take time to undo and what implements takes time to yield results, give it some time? Its like giving a kid who is known to be a smart a book and telling him to read and immediately put him to a test the very next day and be like “ko mole”??? mekatada mole kiwwe? Aiyyo smart.
• MR did not win the war overnight and economic development did not kick off over night but in 2011 we all saw what happened in the stock market. Bottom line—things take time to settle, your urgency and negativity and feedback creates panic, panic you create bites you back and you create further panic after being bitten.—am not saying market will go up soon, nor am I saying it will decline soon because I am no expert, but commonsense dictates if people invested, you invested knowing the risk, every market has its own risk appetite, local or foreign, don’t make it seem like it’s the issue here. Cant deal with it, get out. This forum is there to help each other out
• People are very quick to come to conclusions. An ask from you members, please list out key positives and negatives you saw since the introduction of the new government which is just 2 weeks old and tell me if there is a real reason to create panic
• I was stuck in mid Nov with my portfolio, quite a bit of losses, but from that point I am in an okay position currently, so for me that is some advancement, if you are in a bad position, its your investment decision that should be questioned
• Reduction in fuel prices would have various implication and benefits to the country, people are quick to say government income would reduce and this in turn would reduce government expenditure, loan repayment capability etc, but let’s take a look at 3 large fuel consumers affecting the government, Sri Lankan airlines which runs on losses would gain from the reduction of fuel and this would translated to be a reduced Burden to the government from its previous position, same would apply to the railways and multiple government institutions. Another thing with fuel reduction is it would benefit all industries not just few. There is a point of discussion here though which I can’t come to a conclusion on my own. “RPPA” Id like your views (reduction in fuel would technically reduce cost of goods and services, which in turn would make current salary of people more stronger, this would possibly translate to increased spending I suppose, but revenues of firms may reduce with decrease in prices… but could be set off with increase in consumer spending. My point of concern is how effective would a salary increment be as proposed by the government on firms. Assuming reduction of fuel improve cost and reduces selling price, the profit per service would be unchanged but increased consumer spending would increase sales and thus profit hence salary increment feasible? Am I thinking too short sighted?
• I can go on… but it’s a few things I want to get off my chest because at one point I really looked upto this forum, now its too much negativity.

Also it takes a thief to catch a thief, when one thief is over-doing his thief duties and creating a monopoly other thieves get jealous and they also want an end to the thievery. Because if one thief had stolen all the goods what am I left to steal? Id rather have that thief caught, have a proper system where people get back and grow their wealth so I can steal slowly, because if people have nothing I have nothing. If people don’t grow I don’t grow—read it in some book, cant recall what, I questioned ravi’s appointment but he is CIMA qualified and complaining and negativity wont change him from being a minister, life still goes on. Lets just see whats in store, you can never have a perfect government. But someone that is trying is worth the shot.

Also i didnt do a second read on what i wrote so might sound bulshit at times lol

Are you helping the market? Please Read! Simpsons_taught_us_04

Quibit

Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Thank You SunnySide. Excellent and a balanced article. Thank you very much for your valued contribution.

I like the last part...

"Also it takes a thief to catch a thief, when one thief is over-doing his thief duties and creating a monopoly other thieves get jealous and they also want an end to the thievery. Because if one thief had stolen all the goods what am I left to steal? Id rather have that thief caught, have a proper system where people get back and grow their wealth so I can steal slowly, because if people have nothing I have nothing. If people don’t grow I don’t grow"

Sunnyside

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Thanks Quibit, appreciate the feedback Smile

Sunnyside

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Really like what RPPA said so i'm quoting it here.

RPPA wrote:People who voted for MS. Did you all vote based on share market or country. For market to run properly there has to be a country which has good governance.

You all should understand market fundamentals before commenting.Decisions can't be made in short term market movements. When ASI hits 7,600 after MS won, all MS & MR supporters jump & made big ha ho other than me. Can't you all remember.

I knew that there will be fluctuations in the short term until things put in place properly. And also please understand there are manipulateRs in any market. They play their cards when they want. they have pumped the market from 7350 to 7640 by selling their trading positions. Now is the time they get in for another run.

People who are not season enough in this stock market game just don't post comments which you properly don't know. Because we all know the players & crooks do these games as we were in this game while they were playing in CSE FIELD for more than 12 years.

So "Apiwa thambanna takak amarui"

ruwa

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

100% agreed

san1985

san1985
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

ruwa wrote:100% agreed

Great piece of balanced writing machan..!!

Nothing sounded like bullshit for me Very Happy

Also I liked the entire thing..not just parts Wink

In another thread I I also tried to convey this very same idea..but not in a dis much lengthy way..

Everybody should read this...specially the cry babies

+ rep from me bro

Invest_Wisely

Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

Well said Sunnyside

There, will be certain people that can never be changed....Sunnyside pls do continue what your doing....We all need to change our mind sets now and embrace the change that has happened and see how to make better investments decisions and help each other....

This is one of my favorites quotes 'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". so don't let the negative people put you down you continue the good work your doing Sunnyside will give you the support as well....

Edmund Burke

RPPA

Expert
Expert

Brilliantly said Sunnyside

+ Rep from me too.

And it is disappointing to see that only 1 + rep has given for a timely article as such. Unfortunately it says how biased & narrow minded our people are.Only very few are prepared to appreciate on what you have said as others don't look at things in a broader view without bias.

If seems you have few doubts on increasing government expenditure. For Ex, increase in salaries. Mate don't worry that is not an issue at all. Specially there are lot of unnecessary expenses which have being provided for Difference ministry, massive provisions president, Provisions for So called economic Development ministry. The new increase in expenses can be easily covered up from those. Please note i am not talking about cutting the all provisions of all those ministries. When we did deep thare lot areas to make savings from.

And there is a hefty saving from reduction in Crude oil.Assuming if the Crude oil barrel remains @ US$ 50 for the year 2015, the saving would be hefty US$ 2Bn or more. So in the long term the import bill will reduce & also will impact the exchange rate positively.

The government is only required to manage the loan portfolio properly. Where Ranil is a master when it come the deal with foreign investors. Therefore in the backdrop of all these i am very optimistic about the future prospects in the long term. Very Happy

Last edited by RPPA on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Ernie Tissera

Hats off to Sunnyside. Our people are used to instant results like noodles. First the new Government has to clear the errors and stop corruption done by the previous uneducated fools and then change the system to a system where good governance can be implemented with accountability. Even I do not agree with some decisions taken by the new Regime, but when you go deeper, you will see those are correct (ex. removing CB & CSE from finance Ministry and taking it to Ranils Ministry). Also they have taken some wise and swift decisions like Executive committee headed by Anura Kumara Dissanayake (this is only one). Also as you said the reduction of fuel prices will benefit immensely like a chain for all sectors including the small vendor. It will minimize the cost of living as a nation and in turn government revenue will increase due to various reasons (ex. increase in the ability of spending power and the increase in per capita income)

ranferdi

ranferdi
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Well said.. hope this will inspire cry babies to grab the opportunity at falling market.. The fall seem to be short term..

http://::::THIS EMAIL DOESNT WORK.. PLEASE CONTACT ME ON FB ACCO

Sunnyside

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

After i posted this, few weeks later the mini budget was announced we saw many people get back to what I spoke of originally.
And for one, my name appears in blue and I saw many other people who had the same happening as they increased the post made (specially during the week following the budget announcement, most of the post were whines in my opinion), there is no justification... even to my own user name lol

I can say for sure there are enough people here who even during the downturn were smiling away looking at agstar, sira, pap, vpel, parq, tjl, glas, osea etc beacuse these are stocks that were spoken of in the forum and genuinely discussed, people who had made well informed, thought through investments were not in jeopardy, they had secured investments.

Hope this forum gets to that stage again, I am not a expert at stock but the discussions, the feedback, expert views helped me a lot in the investments I made.

an investment I did not make was ESL, irrespective of how strongly it is spoken of, I didnt feel very strongly about it.... like wise the forum gives people the option to make your own decision... markets are affected by various things, even what happens in the US, India, oil pipe burst or even a ship heading this way sinking... political uncertainity is just one... so newbies brace yourself and make so wise investments....

Sometimes you may see a share rising, dont get hasty thinking you also need to get into the train... time you entrance... few mistakes i made but over time i got a hold of... have a price in mind to enter... dont be overly bullish... have patience... if you ask a good question.. there are people in this forum to give answers though i miss "RPPA" hahaha.. just dont be too greedy..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum