FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by D.G.Dayaratne Yesterday at 7:28 am

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Fri May 17, 2024 9:08 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Thu May 16, 2024 9:13 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by thankrishan Wed May 15, 2024 1:58 pm

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

"CIFL" IPO

+20
Gaja
Fresher
rajithasamaranayake
ISURU
MoneyLover
factFINDER
Slstock
Chinwi
ruwan49
PGCR
StocksWatch
Financeguy
alexd
mark_fernando
widanage
tkc
rijayasooriya
hettdas
mark
wgsaman
24 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 "CIFL" IPO Empty "CIFL" IPO Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:47 pm

wgsaman

wgsaman
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

What do you think about CIFL

2 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:30 pm

mark

mark
Expert
Expert

why so hurry.....wait wait........
as i know still prospectus is pending,good that you interested in IPO's,but nowadays most are slops bcoz of unethical practices in PP....

3 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:23 pm

hettdas

hettdas
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

I don't think CIFL is a good company. I had a fixed deposit with them.They couldn't repay it even after March 2011. I could withdraw it after the central bank involvement .

4 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:56 pm

mark

mark
Expert
Expert

hettdas wrote:I don't think CIFL is a good company. I had a fixed deposit with them.They couldn't repay it even after March 2011. I could withdraw it after the central bank involvement .

oh.oh... thanks mate for your info,seems we have to analyse it to depth....will see their prospectus Suspect

5 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:06 am

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

hettdas wrote:I don't think CIFL is a good company. I had a fixed deposit with them.They couldn't repay it even after March 2011. I could withdraw it after the central bank involvement .
Thanks and +rep from me.

6 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:01 am

tkc

tkc

Interesting! Have to study prospectus closely. And we should keep your experience in our minds.

7 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:41 am

widanage

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

tkc wrote:

Interesting! Have to study prospectus closely. And we should keep your experience in our minds.

One of my relatives had a Rs 2.5 Mn FD with them it took almost three years after maturity to get it back in around 15 installments (Appa Kewa Wage). I also went once with my Uncle to their Bagatalle Rd Office (Now closed). I requested their financials and had a glance at it.

1. They have invested some real estate project in Homagama (as I remember) and got stuck with it.
2. It created a asset liability mismatch so they can not meet the obligations of maturing deposits
3. Further to that they have made avoidance tactics when we call or call over. But this was different when its about a new investment.

Whatever it is, its board and the management responsibility be prudent in their investments. They just followed the real estate bubble and got almost busted. In my opinion now they have a chance to raise the money form public behind the central bank regulations.

Its upto the investors (retail like us) to be prudent because its our blood and sweat.

For me it is CRAP and they are to be SCRAPPED.

8 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:10 pm

mark_fernando

Stock Trader

I got a recommendation about this company through a friend....every company has positives & negatives..awaiting for their prospectus..

Last edited by mark on Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited accordingly)

9 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:47 pm

alexd

Stock Analytic
Stock Analytic

Based on CIFL's Annual report for the year 2009/10 (http://www.cifl.lk/downloads/ann_rep.html - page 2) EPS was Rs. 0.79 and NAPS was Rs.13.07 these figures seem better than the previous year which was Rs 0.13 and Rs 14.92 respectively (obtained from the same report). Performance figures seems promising together with their offer price of 10/- per share. Awaiting the issue of their prospectus.

Last edited by mark on Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited accordingly)

10 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:38 pm

widanage

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Financeguy wrote:Hey Guys there are many finance companies didnt pay their Depositers and had worst situations and larger portfolios came to Market and Become Sucessfull right, And guys made good money in Stocks like Nations Lanka isnt it? Why dont we wait for the Prospectus with out jumping the Gun...Hold Your Horses Guys...Smile

mark_fernando wrote:I got a good recommendation about this company through a friend....every company has positives & negatives..awaiting for their prospectus..

alexd wrote:Based on CIFL's Annual report for the year 2009/10 (http://www.cifl.lk/downloads/ann_rep.html - page 2) EPS was Rs. 0.79 and NAPS was Rs.13.07 these figures seem better than the previous year which was Rs 0.13 and Rs 14.92 respectively (obtained from the same report). Performance figures seem promising together with their offer price of 10/- per share. Awaiting the issue of their prospectus. I think it would be a good buy in terms of investment from the way the other finance companies have gained in share value upon their IPOs and listings.

Dear Friends

When you have first hand experience it supersedes perception, hunch, EPS, NAV and simply everything. I respect all three views above and any other future views on this. But when you know the smell of S*** you don't need to see it.

All my comments are based on their financials of 2008/09 & 2009/10 and not the latest. I may be wrong if the company had made a complete restructuring to their balance sheet.

"CIFL" IPO Untitl11

1. There main source of funding is public deposits.(Note 17 - Let us see where they have put all these money)

2. Liquid assets has come down from 272Mn to 90Mn (Note 3,4,5)

3. Loan book (Leasing, HP & Loans) shrunk to 309 Mn from 490 Mn. (Note 7 & 8 - There are a finance company. There core business is lending but the loan book is mere 14% of there total shareholders funds and liabilities)
How do you justify the above actions. It is good for a real estate company not for a finance company. Directors should act prudently since they are playing with public money.

4. Investment in JV Company is 776 Mn (Note 14), which can go up to 800Mn. At the same time the interest receivable from JV is 418 Mn (Note 9). Just look at the ROI but not realized yet.

5. With all difficulties they have invested 190Mn (Note 13) Rajagiriya Project and the interest receivable from this included in Note 6 amounting to 22Mn.

I doubt that the balance sheet of the company belongs to finance company but investment or real estate company.

Finally this is CSE which has the real potential for CRAP, GARBAGE and S***. This will be oversubscribe for sure and I will not be surprised if this shoot up to Rs 107.60. As tubal says they are in search for dumb money. They need you....

If the BS of the company has a restructuring during the recent financial year I will hide my tail between the legs and subscribe.

-----------------------

11 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:30 pm

Financeguy

Stock Trader

I somewhat agree with the comments of the real estate investment, But can't clearly see what are the assets belongs to this, realizability depends quality of the asset and the returns can be more than HP and leasing. And unlike the lease assets the capital gains are always there in trading real estate stock. But you are very right if the stock quality is bad, on another note the maturity mismatch can be higher if the real-estate asset is not moving in the market, how ever I would love to see the assets of this project so we can ascertain the realizability of their real estate portfolio.

12 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:16 am

widanage

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

@ Jason

Please read my second comment on the same thread and come up with the counter arguments for the assets on the balance sheet. It shows the BS of the company for 2008/09 and 2009/10. The major argument here based on the ASSET - LIABILITY mismatch which is the responsibility of the directors ultimately deprived poor depositors.

I have no personal issues with the company.In the last sentence of my statement I have a provision to hide my tail between my legs. So you have the opportunity to initiate it. Let's talk numbers.

Link to CIFL annual report

http://www.cifl.lk/downloads/applications/An_rp_1.pdf

Last edited by widanage on Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Link included)

13 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:51 am

Financeguy

Stock Trader

Hey Guys,

Is there a real asst liability mismatch? I really dont see it in the Balance sheet, In your 2nd comment you state that that Liquidity has comedown, but also you can notice for the entire year the companies total liability has increased only from 60 Million Rupees, this shows their public liability has not gone up for the year,

How ever can you explain how there is an asset Liability Mismatch??

14 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:25 am

StocksWatch

This thread and all comments look very strange to me. Few members who have joined the forum either today or yesterday are vigorously trying to defend a company which is going for an IPO shortly. Similar situation was there with Expo Lanka as well. We don’t see those who promoted Expo Lanka IPO anymore in this forum.

My advice to all readers, don’t repeat the mistakes you have done in the past, analyze the prospectus and all other available information about the company before you apply. Mainly do a valuation and see if the price of the IPO is attractive compared to other shares in the same sector, trading in the secondary market. It is your money, choose the right option carefully.

15 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:45 pm

mark_fernando

Stock Trader

To Stock Watch,

Yes I agree with you 100%, But on a another view do you expect people to stay silent, when a person comments, to scrap a registerd finance companny with baseless aligations just before it's IPO, its good to analyse and educate and comment on a IPO but sad to see people vigorously trying to tarnish a companies image for their personal openion on a respected blog like this.

16 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:58 pm

alexd

Stock Analytic
Stock Analytic

With reference to

mark wrote:why so hurry.....wait wait........
as i know still prospectus is pending,good that you interested in IPO's,but nowadays most are slops bcoz of unethical practices in PP....

mark_fernando wrote:I got a recommendation about this company through a friend....every company has positives & negatives..awaiting for their prospectus..

and my earlier comment

alexd wrote:Based on CIFL's Annual report for the year 2009/10 (http://www.cifl.lk/downloads/ann_rep.html - page 2) EPS was Rs. 0.79 and NAPS was Rs.13.07 these figures seem better than the previous year which was Rs 0.13 and Rs 14.92 respectively (obtained from the same report). Performance figures seems promising together with their offer price of 10/- per share. Awaiting the issue of their prospectus.

CIFL prospectus is available on the CSE website as of today (refer - www.cse.lk) - FYI

The EPS and NAPS for 9 months ending 31st Dec 2010 has been included in the prospectus and is Rs 0.99 and Rs 14.86 respectively. Would appreciate some expert comments on CIFL's IPO.

17 "CIFL" IPO Empty Be aware-CIFL split before IPO Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:00 pm

PGCR

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

CIFL Audited financial statement shows EPS of 0.99 for the year ended 31st December 2010. As at 31st December 2010, there were only 19,739,424 shares outstanding as at that date. Subsequently CIFL Has done a Split (11 for 5 ) on 9th May 2011 & the new share capital represents 43,426,733. Then the EPS figure get diluted up to Rs 0.45.

Further, prospectus pages No 11 states that “If IPO fully subscribed, the offered Shares will amount to 47.95 % of the Issued Ordinary Shares of the Company subsequent to the Offering.”

Then, After IPO, No of shares issued will be 83,420,229. After IPO EPS (based on current audited accounts) will be only Rs 0.23. Which is at 43 X (times) P/E to its IPO price.

Over to you my friends…

Last edited by mark on Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : topic changed)

18 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:06 pm

ruwan49

ruwan49
Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

Thanks PGCR,,Valuable Advice

19 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:45 pm

Chinwi

Chinwi
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

Thanks for alarming us.

Now, I want to know about the Shareholders list published in the prospectus.

There are 220 pre -IPO shareholders in Annexure F.

The number of shares each of them hold are very unusual.
396, 1558, 1041, 176, 5852 , 14555, ..... ???

Why is this. ?
I heard some badly managed finance companies converted their debt to shares and forcefully gave them to the depositors.

If any of our members know any of these shareholders please find out and let us know. The names and addresses are given in pages 138 to 141

20 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:27 am

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics

PGCR wrote:CIFL Audited financial statement shows EPS of 0.99 for the year ended 31st December 2010. As at 31st December 2010, there were only 19,739,424 shares outstanding as at that date. Subsequently CIFL Has done a Split (11 for 5 ) on 9th May 2011 & the new share capital represents 43,426,733. Then the EPS figure get diluted up to Rs 0.45.

Further, prospectus pages No 11 states that “If IPO fully subscribed, the offered Shares will amount to 47.95 % of the Issued Ordinary Shares of the Company subsequent to the Offering.”

Then, After IPO, No of shares issued will be 83,420,229. After IPO EPS (based on current audited accounts) will be only Rs 0.23. Which is at 43 X (times) P/E to its IPO price.

Over to you my friends…

THanks for uncovering the hidden numbers. We need to be careful before buying with all these new companies getting listed one after the other.

21 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:53 am

wgsaman

wgsaman

thanx for your ideas

22 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:17 am

Chinwi

Chinwi

Sorry I posted this in other thread , re-post here.

As per the prospectus, there are 220 pre -IPO shareholders in Annexure F.

Why is this. ?
I heard some badly managed finance companies converted their debt to shares and forcefully gave them to the depositors.

If any of our members know any of these shareholders please find out and let us know. The names and addresses are given in pages 138 to 141

23 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:16 pm

mark_fernando

Stock Trader

I think there is a mistake in the way PGCR has calculated PE
Ratio.According to my knowledge we have to take the IPO proceeds to
calculate forward PE.

Let me explain you how to derive PE based on my knowledge :-).There
are two types of PE ratios.Lets look at Trailing PE based on the past
data.First we should divide last year net profit by No of shares
issued before the IPO.In this case its (26,087,554 / 43,426,733)
=Rs.0.60.So the trailing PE is (10/0.60) =16.65x .The net profit
figure i have taken is for the Financial year ended 31st March 2011
out of which nine months are Audited.

To calculate future EPS we should search for their FY12 bottom line
and divide it by Post IPO no of shares issued (83,426,733).I think we
cannot use post IPO shares issued without considering the IPO proceeds
to the calculation.

Anyway I do not know much about the Company, want more time to go
through figures and prospectus.But i can clearly see some people
trying to mislead investors by putting wrong calculation and giving
wrong picture about the Company.After going through this calculation
I realized it.Dear investors pls do your calculations properly then
decide what to do!!!

24 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:55 pm

factFINDER

factFINDER
Manager - Equity Analytics

Chinwi wrote:Thanks for alarming us.

Now, I want to know about the Shareholders list published in the prospectus.

There are 220 pre -IPO shareholders in Annexure F.

Why is this. ?

I guess these odd numbers came becouse of their share split of 5 in to 11 done in May 2011!!
e.g.
If there was 1000 shares prior to the splitting it becomes 2200.
If it was 100 > 220., ...440, 660, 880 ... 5500.. like wise.

Also ... what you said may be correct as odd number of shares has been issued far before the splitting (specially in November 2006). But even that year the company has made a profit and hardly assumed that they have forcefully converted debt/deposits in to shares.

But, shares issued in 2008/2009 are result of Bonus issue (page 49)

25 "CIFL" IPO Empty Re: "CIFL" IPO Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:47 pm

MoneyLover

MoneyLover

alexd wrote:With reference to

mark wrote:why so hurry.....wait wait........

mark_fernando wrote:I got a recommendation about this company through a friend....every company has positives & negatives..awaiting for their prospectus..

and my earlier comment

alexd wrote:Based on CIFL's Annual report for the year 2009/10 (http://www.cifl.lk/downloads/ann_rep.html - page 2) EPS was Rs. 0.79 and NAPS was Rs.13.07 these figures seem better than the previous year which was Rs 0.13 and Rs 14.92 respectively (obtained from the same report). Performance figures seems promising together with their offer price of 10/- per share. Awaiting the issue of their prospectus.

CIFL prospectus is available on the CSE website as of today (refer - www.cse.lk) - FYI

The EPS and NAPS for 9 months ending 31st Dec 2010 has been included in the prospectus and is Rs 0.99 and Rs 14.86 respectively. Would appreciate some expert comments on CIFL's IPO.

Dear alexd,

Appriciate if you would show us the NAPS and EPS after 5 to 11 splitting done in May 2011?? Without showing the adjusted statistics your attempt to paint CIFL is incomplete and misleading .....

Before 5 to 11 splitting NAPS (as at 31/12/2010) was 14.86
After 5 to 11 splitting = 14.86 X 5 / 11 = NAPS only 6.75 and P/BV = 1.48

Before 5 to 11 splitting ESP (9 month up to 31/12/2010) is 0.99
After 5 to 11 splitting ESP?? .......

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum