FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Today at 9:08 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Yesterday at 9:13 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by thankrishan Wed May 15, 2024 1:58 pm

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by ChooBoy Fri May 10, 2024 5:29 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Challenging the popular belief

+7
lokuayya
RockStock
WildBear
light
dratnayake
Slstock
salt
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Challenging the popular belief Empty Challenging the popular belief Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:38 pm

salt

salt
Vice President - Equity Analytics

Challenging the popular belief

Now, Sept is over. What‘s up now. If so called credit was the problem, it is now over, why force selling?
This tells us we had no credit issue. Here, it’s a fundamental & valuation issue

2Challenging the popular belief Empty Re: Challenging the popular belief Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:59 pm

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics

salt wrote:Challenging the popular belief

Now, Sept is over. What‘s up now. If so called credit was the problem, it is now over, why force selling?
This tells us we had no credit issue. Here, it’s a fundamental & valuation issue

Salt ,

On forward PE our Overall market is bordering into non overvalued territory. On trailing PE it is overvalued due to some sectors having still PE highs as 50 to 100.

So there are gold mines and land mines as a Mix.

The main issue I see is that as the market is not believing in fundamentals so it cannot sustain. What goes up has to come down. Its just swinging on crap shares.

When fundamentals go up to assigned value, they can sustain their price unlike Crap shares. But our market is a gamblers den.
I think people sell fundamentals and buy speculatives thinking that is the way to survive the market. Why buy shares even if they are worth RS 1000 now trading at Rs 300 if they do not move. Lets buy moving shares. Who cares about fundamentals . We loose more with them.

This is the mentality.

So when market goes down, fundamentals as well as already overvalued Crap shares all are dragged down. When one sees panic selling , other follow . Good share , bad share they do not care. This is not a good sign. We have a very volatile market.

Also I think there maybe be some Margin account clearances. I am not sure.

For example look at RCL. Why on earth would they sell this share at Rs 132? With a trailing PE of 10 and forward of around 8. I do not understand when a share with Rs 1+ earning is trading over Rs 500 to 1000s. And a fundamental is with PE of 10 is at 132.

Magic of manipulation and illiquidity. Welcome to our CSE. We have a long way to go with matured mind set for a sustainable market.

3Challenging the popular belief Empty Re: Challenging the popular belief Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:01 pm

dratnayake

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

SL stock, nicely said mate

http://www.luhududanweem.com

4Challenging the popular belief Empty Re: Challenging the popular belief Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:56 pm

light

light
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

+1 slstock

Sorry, can't figure out how to give reps. But you already have many Smile

5Challenging the popular belief Empty Re: Challenging the popular belief Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:17 pm

salt

salt

slstock,

Agree with you on the quality investors. You can see from the comments of the people here. I made this point so many time sin my posts. And, i am repeatedly saying No, this is not a problem of Credit.

Valuation issue if prominent. Investors look at relative attractiveness. If go by PE ( which is not the sole criteria), SL 15.3 TTM, India 14.0 TTM & China 12.5 TTM. Both are having higher growth rates than us , and more inconstantly for over a few decades.
Having some PE over 100 is common, thats why you talk about market PE which is an average figure., so no qualification is required.

Another big issue , which have pointed is fundamental- how many companies are reporting gains in net profits adjusted for one time- capital gain,savings from taxes & finance cost. So, the earning balloon is over. we have lots of talk after the war ended, but poor implementation record, on top of other bureaucratic failures.

6Challenging the popular belief Empty Re: Challenging the popular belief Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:04 pm

WildBear

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

salt wrote:slstock,

Agree with you on the quality investors. You can see from the comments of the people here. I made this point so many time sin my posts. And, i am repeatedly saying No, this is not a problem of Credit.

Valuation issue if prominent. Investors look at relative attractiveness. If go by PE ( which is not the sole criteria), SL 15.3 TTM, India 14.0 TTM & China 12.5 TTM. Both are having higher growth rates than us , and more inconstantly for over a few decades.
Having some PE over 100 is common, thats why you talk about market PE which is an average figure., so no qualification is required.

Another big issue , which have pointed is fundamental- how many companies are reporting gains in net profits adjusted for one time- capital gain,savings from taxes & finance cost. So, the earning balloon is over. we have lots of talk after the war ended, but poor implementation record, on top of other bureaucratic failures.

Sri Lanka has GDP growth rate is 8 % , ranked as a frontier market and you have nothing to cry about having a P/E ratio of 15, it was obviously made up with few craps which are trading at absurd high price earning ratios. even US market there are stocks trading at high P/E ratios, while having a GDP growth rate of less than 2%, eg: Now Google Inc trading at trailing P/E of around 18.

Besides few over valued craps, we can find plenty of attractive and very attractive solid counters currently at CSE as mentioned by Slstock.

So if you open your eyes without crying continuously saying CSE is overvalued bla,bla.. You will be able to find out really attractive stocks with good growth prospects if you are really interested in investing in stocks.

Only thing you need is to identify milk from water and be patient.

7Challenging the popular belief Empty Re: Challenging the popular belief Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:15 pm

RockStock

Manager - Equity Analytics

WildBear wrote:

Sri Lanka has GDP growth rate is 8 % , ranked as a frontier market and you have nothing to cry about having a P/E ratio of 15, it was obviously made up with few craps which are trading at absurd high price earning ratios. even US market there are stocks trading at high P/E ratios, while having a GDP growth rate of less than 2%, eg: Now Google Inc trading at trailing P/E of around 18.

Besides few over valued craps, we can find plenty of attractive and very attractive solid counters currently at CSE as mentioned by Slstock.

So if you open your eyes without crying continuously saying CSE is overvalued bla,bla.. You will be able to find out really attractive stocks with good growth prospects if you are really interested in investing in stocks.

Only thing you need is to identify milk from water and be patient.

Well said WildBear. We can have plenty of opportunities at CSE with excellent growth prospects now, Of cause these crap rallies are unhealthy for a frontier market though.

8Challenging the popular belief Empty Re: Challenging the popular belief Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:20 pm

RockStock

So you think Sri Lanka economy growth is stopped here or freezed. clown , I'm not an expert, but I think rapid and sustained growth of Sri Lanka economy yet to come with the rapid phase of infrastructure development being progressed now.

9Challenging the popular belief Empty Re: Challenging the popular belief Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:49 pm

lokuayya

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

I think RCl is down because of the global recession fears.exports will be affected under the gloomy situation in west.
Market try to gain some momentum in the morning hours but when Europe and other global markets fall 3, 4, 5 percent on daily basis our market also get affected.
Credit issue is not over but at least the changes in the credit rule prevented the worst drop in September end.

10Challenging the popular belief Empty Re: Challenging the popular belief Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:10 pm

WildBear

lokuayya wrote:I think RCl is down because of the global recession fears.exports will be affected under the gloomy situation in west.
Market try to gain some momentum in the morning hours but when Europe and other global markets fall 3, 4, 5 percent on daily basis our market also get affected.
Credit issue is not over but at least the changes in the credit rule prevented the worst drop in September end.

Be greedy when others fearful

11Challenging the popular belief Empty Re: Challenging the popular belief Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:27 pm

lokuayya

Yes the RCl price at 130 is very attractive. 4.50 rupees paid as dividend alone in last financial year.Mainly the revenue is from local sales therefore loss of exports revenue may not have much effect on bottom line.
will they get benefit from the low oil prices? i do not know whether they(industries) get the benefit or the cpc get the benefit of the the prevailing low oil prices.If they get the advantage of the low energy cost definitely it will reflect in the bottom line.

12Challenging the popular belief Empty Re: Challenging the popular belief Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:25 pm

chamith

chamith

Market rallied all over the world because of EU's 3 trillion euro bailout. But again started falling after Greece announced that they won't be able to reduce their budget deficit as much need to qualify for the bailout.

Today markets are down everywhere

13Challenging the popular belief Empty Re: Challenging the popular belief Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:31 pm

WildBear

lokuayya wrote:Yes the RCl price at 130 is very attractive. 4.50 rupees paid as dividend alone in last financial year.Mainly the revenue is from local sales therefore loss of exports revenue may not have much effect on bottom line.
will they get benefit from the low oil prices? i do not know whether they(industries) get the benefit or the cpc get the benefit of the the prevailing low oil prices.If they get the advantage of the low energy cost definitely it will reflect in the bottom line.

Minister of Power and Energy pledged that Eelctricity Bill to be reduced from 2012, after functioning of Norochcholai and Upper Kothmali, But he is just another Minister, We' ll see clown

14Challenging the popular belief Empty Re: Challenging the popular belief Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:59 am

Slstock

Slstock

lokuayya wrote:Yes the RCl price at 130 is very attractive. 4.50 rupees paid as dividend alone in last financial year.Mainly the revenue is from local sales therefore loss of exports revenue may not have much effect on bottom line.

As you correctly identified RCL is concentrating on local stales . If i recall their foreign sales are less than 6%. So if someone is selling due to fear... I will find it an opportunity.

The thing with energy costs are that they are set seperatly for businesses in Sri Lanka. Not sure each company can get an incentives or discount as it is fixed ( ofcourse leaving out pulling strings). So unless an overall rate reduction of energy costs or RCL finds a way like TKYO, energy costs are major component still to them.

Regarding growth am looking at not only their core now. What about other acquisitions? Think they will do more in the future.

15Challenging the popular belief Empty Re: Challenging the popular belief Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:34 am

CSE.SAS

CSE.SAS
Global Moderator

slstock wrote:

Salt ,

On forward PE our Overall market is bordering into non overvalued territory. On trailing PE it is overvalued due to some sectors having still PE highs as 50 to 100.

The main issue I see is that as the market is not believing in fundamentals so it cannot sustain. What goes up has to come down. Its just swinging on crap shares.

When fundamentals go up to assigned value, they can sustain their price unlike Crap shares. But our market is a gamblers den.
I think people sell fundamentals and buy speculatives thinking that is the way to survive the market. Why buy shares even if they are worth RS 1000 now trading at Rs 300 if they do not move. Lets buy moving shares. Who cares about fundamentals . We loose more with them.

This is the mentality.

So when market goes down, fundamentals as well as already overvalued Crap shares all are dragged down. When one sees panic selling , other follow . Good share , bad share they do not care. This is not a good sign. We have a very volatile market.

For example look at RCL. Why on earth would they sell this share at Rs 132? With a trailing PE of 10 and forward of around 8. I do not understand when a share with Rs 1+ earning is trading over Rs 500 to 1000s. And a fundamental is with PE of 10 is at 132.

Magic of manipulation and illiquidity. Welcome to our CSE. We have a long way to go with matured mind set for a sustainable market.

Well said slstock

16Challenging the popular belief Empty Re: Challenging the popular belief Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:48 am

WildBear

Here's some reading for those who are believing that the Growth of SL economy and CSE is over.

http://www.ft.lk/2011/10/05/sri-lanka-the-star-in-asia-for-stocks-tourism/

http://www.ft.lk/2011/09/26/imf-impressed-by-sl-economic-growth/

17Challenging the popular belief Empty Re: Challenging the popular belief Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:22 pm

salt

salt

WildBear wrote:Here's some reading for those who are believing that the Growth of SL economy and CSE is over.

No need to read this, watch ITN new if you want to see the miracle. If you can't understand what i said, its your fault. You saw, you will reap

18Challenging the popular belief Empty Re: Challenging the popular belief Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:37 pm

suja

Hi salt, So what you are saying is that the upward profits recorded during the past quarters is largely due to incentives in taxes etc and one time gains such as capital increase or sale of asstes and in the future the profits recorded by companies at an average will be lower than the past years. So the current PE of 15 will go up and will make the market overpriced or the stock price will come down to reflect a current PE of 15. Please elaborate as it is a good genuine comment by you for us to analyse further. If found correct i feel there will be opportunities to enter in the future and not now.

19Challenging the popular belief Empty Re: Challenging the popular belief Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:47 pm

WildBear

suja wrote:Hi salt, So what you are saying is that the upward profits recorded during the past quarters is largely due to incentives in taxes etc and one time gains such as capital increase or sale of asstes and in the future the profits recorded by companies at an average will be lower than the past years. So the current PE of 15 will go up and will make the market overpriced or the stock price will come down to reflect a current PE of 15. Please elaborate as it is a good genuine comment by you for us to analyse further. If found correct i feel there will be opportunities to enter in the future and not now.

Hi, no need to go far, take the RCL as an example as mentioned by slstock. Did they got any non-recurring income during last few financial statesment,Does RCL have a poor growth forecast, is it overvalued.Don't they have expansion plans,Doesn't RCL have a proven track record.
You can read some broker research reports at Equity research Web also on RCL. We do not need to hear baseless nonsense statements made by some people.

One can show you the water, but can't make you drink

20Challenging the popular belief Empty Re: Challenging the popular belief Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:49 pm

WildBear

salt wrote:
WildBear wrote:Here's some reading for those who are believing that the Growth of SL economy and CSE is over.

No need to read this, watch ITN new if you want to see the miracle. If you can't understand what i said, its your fault. You saw, you will reap

If you open your eyes and see, I was not talking about ITN news. I was talking about data backed by facts and figures.

21Challenging the popular belief Empty Re: Challenging the popular belief Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:54 am

enthush

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

slstock wrote:

Salt ,

This is the mentality.

well said. i think the biggest mistake the market did was to give massive returns during 2009 and 2010 125% and 96%. since 2009 came after a grave drop in the market ppl got the gambling taste of stock market. this is well highlighted in the record number of CSE a/cs opened in these years where more and more retailors entered the market with the hope of quick and large gains with very little capital in other words mostly in view of day-trading. as a result investors at large are not satisfied with the current market performance envious of what it used to generate in the last couple of years, which is impossible to repeat. i believe the preveiling slow performance on CSE is an eye opener forcing ppl to invest sensibly with a medium tern view rather than for daily living.

and investment advisors are also to take blame for their unprofessional conduct misleading the retailors to quick gains. this is one reason why so called junk counters are hot in demand.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum