FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Today at 9:08 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Yesterday at 9:13 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by thankrishan Wed May 15, 2024 1:58 pm

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by ChooBoy Fri May 10, 2024 5:29 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Foreigners are Active in CSE. But Local Investors/Traders are Inactive

+11
chamith
Market Sucker
mono
mra
greedy007
worthiness
CSE.SAS
15%only
FXX
Hawk Eye
Rajaraam
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Rajaraam

Vice President - Equity Analytics

Dear freinds,
I just compared some trading figures in january 2011 and january 2012 and found that foreign investors/traders are still very active and their trading share in the CSE has tremendously increased compared to trading values of local investors/traders. Therefore present situation would be changed positively if CSE could regain the confidence of the local investor/Trader. We have nothing to worryabout foreign investor/Trader since they are still satisfatorily active in the stock market. I would like to share some of my findings with you;

Turnover,
January 2011 =Rs. Mn 75,993
January 2012 =Rs. Mn 19,102
ASI - January 2011 =6657-7174
ASI - January 2012 =6074-5693
Foreign Buy-Jan 2011 =Rs. Mn 4657
Foreign Buy-Jan 2012 =Rs. Mn 3745
Foreign Sell-Jan 2011 =Rs. Mn 7545
Foreign Sell-Jan 2012 =Rs. Mn 3274
Foreign Net-Jan 2011 =Rs. Mn(2888)
Foreign Net-Jan 2012 =Rs. Mn 471
Local Buy-Jan. 2011 =Rs. Mn 71,336
Local Buy-Jan. 2012 =Rs. Mn 15,357
Local Sell-Jan. 2011 =Rs. Mn 68,448
Local Sell-Jan. 2012 =Rs. Mn 15,828
Foreign Buy/Turnover % Jan.2011=6.1%
Foreign Buy/Turnover % Jan.2012=19.6%
Local Buy/rnover %Jan.2011 =93.9%
Local Buy/rnover %Jan.2012 =80.4%

From the above figures we can note that foreign buying has increased from 6.1% to 19.6% ( as a % of turnover)from jan.2011 to Jan. 2012 despite the huge fall in total turnover from Rs. 75,993 Mn to Rs. 19,102 Mn from Jan. 2011 to Jan. 2012. CSE is managing even at present level due to comparatively higher trading by foreign Investors/traders. CSE and the government should take all appropriate action to regain the local investors' confidence in order to make our stock market more active.
Another important point is as stockmate stated many times, when the index increasing from 6657-7174 in Jan. 2011 foreiners have sold more than purchasing. And now in Jan. 2012 they buy more and sell less. May be they feel that current price levels are good to buy for them to make a reasonable profit in the coming months.

Rajaraam

Dear freinds,
I just compared some trading figures in january 2011 and january 2012 and found that foreign investors/traders are still very active and their trading share in the CSE has tremendously increased compared to trading values of local investors/traders. Therefore present situation would be changed positively if CSE could regain the confidence of the local investor/Trader. We have nothing to worryabout foreign investor/Trader since they are still satisfatorily active in the stock market. I would like to share some of my findings with you;

Turnover,
January 2011 =Rs. Mn 75,993
January 2012 =Rs. Mn 19,102
ASI - January 2011 =6657-7174
ASI - January 2012 =6074-5693
Foreign Buy-Jan 2011 =Rs. Mn 4657
Foreign Buy-Jan 2012 =Rs. Mn 3745
Foreign Sell-Jan 2011 =Rs. Mn 7545
Foreign Sell-Jan 2012 =Rs. Mn 3274
Foreign Net-Jan 2011 =Rs. Mn(2888)
Foreign Net-Jan 2012 =Rs. Mn 471
Local Buy-Jan. 2011 =Rs. Mn 71,336
Local Buy-Jan. 2012 =Rs. Mn 15,357
Local Sell-Jan. 2011 =Rs. Mn 68,448
Local Sell-Jan. 2012 =Rs. Mn 15,828
Foreign Buy/Turnover % Jan.2011=6.1%
Foreign Buy/Turnover % Jan.2012=19.6%
Local Buy/rnover %Jan.2011 =93.9%
Local Buy/rnover %Jan.2012 =80.4%

From the above figures we can note that foreign buying has increased from 6.1% to 19.6% ( as a % of turnover)from jan.2011 to Jan. 2012 despite the huge fall in total turnover from Rs. 75,993 Mn to Rs. 19,102 Mn from Jan. 2011 to Jan. 2012. CSE is managing even at present level due to comparatively higher trading by foreign Investors/traders. CSE and the government should take all appropriate action to regain the local investors' confidence in order to make our stock market more active.
Another important point is as stockmate stated many times, when the index increasing from 6657-7174 in Jan. 2011 foreiners have sold more than purchasing. And now in Jan. 2012 they buy more and sell less. May be they feel that current price levels are good to buy for them to make a reasonable profit in the coming months.

Hawk Eye

Hawk Eye
Expert
Expert

Dr.Senthilvel also on the buying .

FXX

FXX
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

For the last 12 months ASI have gone down around 2000 points and getting close to 600 Day Moving Average as well so one can argue we are close to end of the market fall. But other than increasing foreign buying there are no more positives yet

15%only

Stock Trader

Turnovers are very low and this means that some key players are not yet in. Could EPF, local funds, etc... problem is no point in one fund "buying" if others are going to sell. Looks like extending credit gives brokers the "right" to sell what shares when they want to. This is on cx account since interest is paid till the sale and broker anyway gets the comission. With extended credit buyers should be able to negotiate with brokers to hold for "1 month".

Those who buy long term like the "overseas investors" should do well. ...Can we stop saying foreigners - it could be local citizens with "funds" overseas. Ahhh, now we have to consider saying "trading agents" instead of the "brokers"!!

Last edited by 15%only on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

CSE.SAS

CSE.SAS
Global Moderator

Please note the foreign sales/purchase were targeting only 3-4 companies, mainly banking, diversified and beverages only.

worthiness

Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Correct...Majority of foreigners target strong blue chips. Also noted that the frequency of their in & out of the market happens at faster rate than before..mean quick profit taking.
Data given above shows that locals are still inactive..Disparity of income distribution in the country is becoming higher & higher..So I believe the contribution from normal investors does not have an impact on the market..HNWI & the institutional fund managers can do the real impact....

greedy007

Basically most of the local investors burned their fingers.(not all)
So it will take some time to stabilise.
Some of the HNWI playing the game very tactfully because their investment in CSE not affected due to 2011 crash.

mra

mra
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

If our fortune tellers were active in 2011, predicting whats going to happened in 2012, they could have advised for foreigners to enter in 2012 and buy on low prices and earn commission from them fro the advice. hehe Laughing

mono

mono

most of the local retailers are exiting the market. I guess it i'll take some time before they are done selling. These days no one seems to be in a rush to buy shares.

Market Sucker

Market Sucker

mono wrote:most of the local retailers are exiting the market. I guess it i'll take some time before they are done selling. These days no one seems to be in a rush to buy shares.

yes dump money will be departs from fools,let them to sell and get vanished from CSE.

Rajaraam

Dear friends,
Have you noted foreign investors deaings in February(5 market days) so far.Their buying value so far is around Rs. 1167.8 Mn where as the selling is Rs. 1149.8 Mn. The net foreign inflow is around Rs. 18 Mn. Important point is foreigners contribution towards the turnover is 23.6% compared to 4.7% in last year for the same period. In 2011 up to 8th feb.( 5 market days)total foreign buy value was Rs. 986.7 Mn and foreign sell value was Rs. 1,220.9 Mn. Accordingly, in february this year so far foreign buy value is higher than the last year figure and foriegn share in the turnover has increased from 4.7% to 23.6%. Therefore we dont need to worry about foreign invetors (as they are actively involved in stock trading in CSE than we expect). CSE,SEC, stock brokers and all other parties who are responsible should immediately take suitable action to find out reasons for why local investors/traders are leaving the market/minimising the dealings and take remedial measures to regain their confidence in investing in CSE. If not we cant expect a good share market in Srilanka for many years ahead.

chamith

chamith
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Rajaraam wrote:Dear friends,
Have you noted foreign investors deaings in February(5 market days) so far.Their buying value so far is around Rs. 1167.8 Mn where as the selling is Rs. 1149.8 Mn. The net foreign inflow is around Rs. 18 Mn. Important point is foreigners contribution towards the turnover is 23.6% compared to 4.7% in last year for the same period. In 2011 up to 8th feb.( 5 market days)total foreign buy value was Rs. 986.7 Mn and foreign sell value was Rs. 1,220.9 Mn. Accordingly, in february this year so far foreign buy value is higher than the last year figure and foriegn share in the turnover has increased from 4.7% to 23.6%. Therefore we dont need to worry about foreign invetors (as they are actively involved in stock trading in CSE than we expect). CSE,SEC, stock brokers and all other parties who are responsible should immediately take suitable action to find out reasons for why local investors/traders are leaving the market/minimising the dealings and take remedial measures to regain their confidence in investing in CSE. If not we cant expect a good share market in Srilanka for many years ahead.

From 1st of January 2012 to today 08/02/2012, net foreign buying stands at 489 mln lkr.

mono

mono

well for the last two and a bit weeks m number is at 827mn

Rajaraam

As at today during Feb 2012, Foreign buy has gone up to 29.3% of Feb. turnover compared to 8.3% for the same period in 2011.So far foreign and local investors buy values are given below;

Feb 2012 Turnover Up to 17 th Feb. = Rs. Mn 14456
Foreign buy during this period = Rs. Mn 4244(29.3%)
Local investors buy = Rs. Mn 10212(70.7%)

Feb 2011 Turnover up to 18th Feb =Rs. Mn 45575
Foreign buy during this period = Rs. Mn 3797(8.3%)
Local investors buy = Rs. Mn 41778(91.7%)

We can note foreign buy has gone up in both ways by valuewise and as a % of turnover. Sad thing is Local buy has drasticaly fell from Rs. Mn 41778 in 2011 to Rs. Mn 10212 in 2012. However with the recent relaxation of some rules we could expect an increase in local buying value as well during the next few weeks.

Kumar

Kumar

I got a different idea on this foreign sales and purchase.
If we noticed 2010 and 2011 net foreign sales and purchase there was a net out flow.
Now may be they are thinking right time to come in.

Rajaraam

Kumar wrote:I got a different idea on this foreign sales and purchase.
If we noticed 2010 and 2011 net foreign sales and purchase there was a net out flow.

Kumar, that is what I wanted to idicate by figures. If this is corrrect market will continue in upward trend. Isn't it?

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

Rajaraam wrote:

Kumar, that is what I wanted to idicate by figures. If this is corrrect market will continue in upward trend. Isn't it?

Foreigners are Active in CSE. But Local Investors/Traders are Inactive Fsp11

Seems to be the foreigners seeing the market condition in a favourable way, which we need to consider.
(May be we need to wait?)

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics

Rajaraam wrote:

Once the market was overvalued with PE of 20+. A big market correction was needed and it happened. Along with mistakes SEC made we have to admit they did some good to take some steps to prevent a bubble( we discussed the good and the bad they did before. Let not argue again).

How much more correction is needed is the question? But as I asked before is CSE that bad to deserve a further drastic drop?

Yes there is a temporary volatility in Sri lanka due to balance of payment , fuel hike , currency devaluation, expropriation etc etc. So in panic people can bring market down more. But in reality we have had about a ASI 35 % drop from the top. Market PEs considering forward year end earnings should be around 10-11 now( to be calculated). Also most companies have corrected sometimes over 2010 July prices. Most of the overvalued junk + even good fundamentals have come down to earth ( sometime more than needed for a fair valuation) . Are all our companies performing that bad? I agree there are a still few high cap and some others counters trading at more than their fair value ( CARS, BUKI are main culprits. Sorry CARS/BUKI lovers but look at their valuations with regarding to present earnings) If these get individually corrected the market PE will be even lesser.

I do not see why foreigners should not find market more and more attractive in the coming months. Right now to me market is getting close to be fairly valued. We already see foreigners slowly entering again .
Thats should give us some thing to think about. I read Indian Stock market has also seen considerable inflows last week . But due to world and (short term ) local economic issues some might still feel they should take back seat to wait for an even better time to enter. The "safe havens" in rising deposit and bond interest rates is not helping CSE either.

I am in no way trying to predict market behavior in short term. It can drop further if people panic and rules maker make bad policy decisions. Also it can rise due to sudden cash influxes. But my hope is that market remains range bound around 5000-5400 for some time to stabilize. It is better to stabilize than huge spikes or huge plunges both of which can be detrimental for a stable market.

sapumal

If government can bring whole extra charges to 1% of the transaction, that will be a good move

Rajaraam

During the last 12 market days from 8th Feb. todate every day a foreign net inflow has been recorded. Total foreign buy value during this period was Rs, Mn 5019 where as the foreign sell value was only Rs. Mn 2110 resulting in a Net inflow of Rs, Mn 2909.Some members repeatedly said that wise foreigners are selling and srilankan who doesn't know anything about share trading are buying in this bear market without proper studies. But Now otherway around. Foreigners are continuesly buying and our ppl are selling. So coz foreiners are wise(as some ppl repeatedly said) now we have to follow wise foreigners and buy.Isn' i it ?

Last edited by Rajaraam on Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total

22Foreigners are Active in CSE. But Local Investors/Traders are Inactive Empty Foreign net inflow tops Rs. 3 billion Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:57 am

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

Locals may be having fears of the Geneva outcome but the very investors from the West are continuing to be bullish with net inflow topping the Rs. 3 billion mark by yesterday.

Foreigners were net buyers to the tune of Rs. 224 million increasing the net inflow under just two months of the year to Rs. 3.16 billion. Though small it is a record high and significant since for three years beginning 2009, the Colombo Bourse has seen a consecutive outflow.

Among stocks favoured by foreign funds yesterday were Ceylon Tobacco (Rs. 63 million), Sampath Bank (Rs. 61 million), Aitken Spence Hotels (Rs. 52 million) and Royal Ceramics (Rs. 16 million) whilst there was also buying in to JKH and Chevron Lubricants.

As part of trading Captains were largely on the selling side of Sampath as well as Commercial Bank whilst state funds EPF and ETF were active yesterday as well collecting banking and other blue chips.
Sampath, CTC, Aitken Spence Hotel Holdings and Royal Ceramics figured among the top five turnover contributors.

Analysts said average local investors were either selling out or on the sidelines awaiting the developments of the Human Rights Council sessions on Sri Lanka at the United Nations in Geneva whilst others blamed the inaction to problems associated with the Automated Trading System (ATS) version seven, as well as profit taking.

Ending 11 successive positive sessions, the stock market dipped by 1.6% yesterday whilst turnover was Rs. 616 million.

“The fall is due to profit-taking, but a number of investors have complained they can’t access the system via the internet after the stock exchange upgraded its trading system,” Acuity Stockbrokers Prashan Fernando was quoted as saying by Reuters.

Arrenga Capital said the bourse lost steam after seven consecutive days of gains with the approach of the month end margin calls and profit taking by investors.
The benchmark index had jumped over 550 points during the past seven days. The selling pressure during the day led to a decline in activity levels while the turnover was boosted by 3 off-market deals in blue-chip counters.

“In line with our expectations the sharp gains in the past week built up selling pressure with some investors looking to take profit. We believe the bourse is likely to continue to decline in next couple of days bringing back selected counters to attractive prices. Thus, we advise our investors accumulate on a decline market as we believe that at 5,200 level market valuations seem in line with peer markets,” Arrenga said.

Bukit Darah, Selinsing and Ceylon Beverage Holdings were the largest contributors to the decline of the index, which some linked to anomalies of ATS Version 7.

http://www.ft.lk/2012/02/28/foreign-net-inflow-tops-rs-3-billion/

chamith

chamith

Foreigners are Active in CSE. But Local Investors/Traders are Inactive Captur31

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

Foreigners are Active in CSE. But Local Investors/Traders are Inactive For-bu10

Rajaraam

Thank you sriranga for detail imformation. As per your data from 1st Jan 2012 todate net foreign inflow exceeds Rs. 2.3 bn. Now locals (HNWI s) are also active. Hopefully market would be better in the coming weeks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum