FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by samaritan Today at 2:01 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Today at 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by bkasun Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:48 pm

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Let's disclose the names of the MAFIA before COPE does it!!

+6
Hawk Eye
worthiness
RIO
Redbulls
anubis
sriranga
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

* Former chief defends SEC staff, says ‘certainly did not talk about
the weather’ with Dilith after deleted arranged meeting

* COPE wants former SEC chiefs to unravel ‘mafia’!

Controversial investor Dilith Jayaweera who wilted under a barrage of questions raised by the media at a meeting earlier this week at first denied the existence of a stock exchange mafia influential enough to remove two SEC Chairpersons under a year, but then made some comments which clearly implied its existence, forcing him to then blame the regulator for not taking timely action and sending offenders to jail, which ironically was what the SEC was trying to do!

"If the wife of the President’s Secretary (Ms. Indrani Sugathadasa) cannot keep the job and if a best friend (Thilak Karunaratne) of the President who played marbles growing up together cannot keep the job, then there is a big problem," Jayaweera said when pressed by the media to comment on the resignation of two chairpersons of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) in less than a year citing pressure from an influential group of investors, which the Parliamentary watchdog COPE now calls a mafia.

Jayaweera eloquently presented and then defended his views at the meeting with the media, but under the barrage of questions, he contradicted himself or gave vague answers, which made the entire presentation patchy. Questions which were asked from him over and over again was ‘whether or not an influential group of people forced the SEC chairpersons to resign?’ and ‘was there a stock exchange mafia?’

Is there a mafia? "There is a mafia, in the US, in Japan, in the fish market, in parliament, in the country and even in this room," was Jayaweera’s answer. Where influential investors behind the resignations of the SEC chairpersons? "No. The President appointed them to the SEC and no one can influence the President in such a manner as to have them removed," Jayaweera said. Were Ms. Sugathadasa and Karunaratne incompetent? Jayaweera praised their competence and integrity. Was the President at fault for appointing people who could not withstand pressure? Jayaweera said, "No, it’s not that". Then why did they resign? "I really do not know but if there is an influential mafia like you say there is then we are all in trouble," Jayaweera told journalists.

He then faulted the SEC for not investigating the market offences sooner, punishing offenders with jail terms, thus joining a group of people who have openly advocated for tougher regulation, although Jayaweera said he did not want an overregulated market. He also said SEC officials with vested interests had misled the two chairpersons.

Defending activities of his investment arm in the stock exchange, Jayaweera at one point said "Api ekata gahana ayojekayo newei." (We are not investors who colluded to play the market), which was exactly the type of behaviour the market was well aware of and the SEC was investigating.

Jayaweera said his presentation to the President at a recent stakeholder meeting was based on his views and those of likeminded investors, although he was not representing a group of people. In the presentation, he blamed the media and the SEC for being anti-government for creating a fear psychosis in the market.

"I got the opportunity to speak and I took the chance. I was the only one who prepared a power point presentation because the brokers’ association sent me a letter they had wanted to handover to the President, but their demands were so childish and worthless (laduru, bala illim). It is sad that innocent investors have to rely on such brokers to safeguard their interests. I had to do the best I could to get my views across. There were also others who spoke."

He was asked why he, with less than three years experience as an investor was selected to give a presentation, was it because he was a high net worth investor with influence?

He said that technically, he was not a high net worth investor since all stock exchange investments were via his investment vehicle Divasa Equity. When asked whether he was influential, he said yes! The advertising agency Triad cofounded by him ran two successful campaigns for the government, he said.

Four broker firms broke away in disgust from the association last year after the first meeting with the President resulted in the exit of Ms. Sugathadasa and SEC Director General Malik Cader. This year, another firm pulled out of the association after the meeting with the President, which also resulted in the resignation of an SEC chairman.

These broker firms have commended the SEC’s regulatory stance and for this, are being accused of being anti-government by a group of investors and their crony brokers who are being investigated for market offences and/or hurting because they cannot offload dud stocks they had bought when they played the market.

Jayaweera said he was critical of Karunaratne telling the media about the investigations and that he quit because of pressure from an influential group of investors, because it created negative perceptions about the stock exchange and the country. But when journalists pointed out that the SEC never made the investigations public and that it was those being investigated who criticised the SEC in the media and via emails over the investigations, Jayaweera said simply said "Yes, that is a valid point."

He repeatedly said both Ms. Sugathadasa and Karunaratne resigned for reasons other than pressure from an influential group of people close to the government.

"How would Dilith know? Was Dilith the SEC Chairman? Was Dilith in my shoes?" asked former SEC Chairman Thilak Karunaratne speaking to The Island Financial Review yesterday in a brief telephone interview. "How can Dilith know what kind of pressures I had to face? Certain people were asking me to leave and I received so many calls asking me to leave."

Karunaratne did not say anything further on the matter but he did take the opportunity to commend the staff at the SEC.

"I want to contradict Dilith’s comments about the SEC staff misleading me. The SEC staff is the best I have worked with, they are educated, enthusiastic and committed. They all supported me 100 percent. I knew what I was doing because I have been an investor in the stock exchange for a long time, so no one can mislead me. I took decisions in concurrence with the other members of the Commission and the staff. The SEC staff was superb! It was a privilege to have been associated with them."

Jayaweera had said Defence Secretary Deleted Rajapaksa had only arranged for him to meet with Karunaratne and that no pressure was exerted to stop any investigations. Jayaweera said he had received four or five letters from the SEC inquiring into certain transactions dated two years ago. Jayaweera said the investigations never came up with his meeting with Karunaratne. "We certainly did not talk about the weather!" was what Karunaratne told us when asked about Jayaweera’s comments regarding their meeting.

Market analysts pointed out that certain names are being whispered as to who these high net worth investors and their crony brokers are. "We all know them, but because of the legal implications I cannot name them, the SEC cannot name them, the CSE cannot name them and your newspaper cannot publish them!" one market analyst told us. "I could tell you how the market was played I could even tell you which broker’s bank account needs to be checked. But there is a law and the law must deal with this," he said.

Meanwhile, UNP MP Dr. Harsha De Silva said Jayaweera’s interaction with the media was a pleasant surprise and a welcome move in a country where transparency was nearly non-existent with the government still continuing to withhold information on EPF investments in the stock exchange. However, he said Jayaweera’s comments regarding the Defence Secretary enforced the idea that some probably did enjoy a degree of influence.

UNP MP Ravi Karunanayake told The Island Financial Review that COPE would summon both Sugathadasa and Karunaratne in a bid to understand the pressures they had faced and from where the pressures had come from. "This is a public matter and must not be kept in secret for any longer," he said.

Karunanayake on Tuesday proposed a motion in Parliament enabling COPE to summon the two former chairpersons of the SEC. "Speaker Chamal Rajapaksa was very favourable to this motion," he said. "We need to unravel this mystery."
http://www.island.lk/index.php?page_cat=article-details&page=article-details&code_title=59795

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

anubis

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

DJ adagena nagaththa wage mata nam penne.... Very Happy

Cheers!

Redbulls

Redbulls
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics

One by one will hold press meeting in the sake of clearing their name, but we are not stupid no?

RIO

RIO

sriranga wrote:[size=15]

"[b]If the wife of the President’s Secretary
(Ms. Indrani Sugathadasa) cannot keep the job and if a best friend (Thilak Karunaratne) of the President who played marbles growing up together cannot keep the job, then there is a big problem," Jayaweera said when pressed by the media to comment on the resignation of two chairpersons of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) in less than a year citing pressure from an influential group of investors, which the Parliamentary watchdog COPE now calls a mafia.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
The Fact is Both of them, one a relative & the other, a childhood friend are known to "MR" , unfortunately they Both didn't know the "HE MR" .... Razz

The Man who is talking on SEC matters, never known to "MR" before being "HE MR" bla bla bla...

worthiness

Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Let government prove the public now how" transparency" is executed in this country removing the thick blanket. Disclosing the mafia squad, their dealings & punishment according to "Law" ( if existing....) would definitely bring back the lost credibility. This is an opportunity for governing parties to launch the concept of 'Good Governance" what we have not seen so far.

Hawk Eye

Hawk Eye
Expert
Expert

We know who is his the best buddy of DJ in pump and dump deals, he is silent.

DJ is the mouthpiece of the mafia, and he is asking and eating

prasadrmb

prasadrmb
Manager - Equity Analytics

They are doing investment politics

RIO

RIO

Hawk Eye wrote:We know who is his the best buddy of DJ in pump and dump deals, he is silent.

All those Aunties & Thambees are behind DJ...& what made DJ to face the Media is that he is from a Media group & having close contacts with all Media stations & Print Press due to Advertising schedulings...so all thoe so called Pro/Anti Govt or Pro/Anti mafia Media stations also have to bend their knees for TRIAD due to Ads returns... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

malanp

the mafia includes xxx xxx xxxx too.

In front of them Mrs.Sugathadasa & Tilak are peanuts..

Last edited by Monster on Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed political abuse)

glwking

glwking

RIO wrote:
Hawk Eye wrote:We know who is his the best buddy of DJ in pump and dump deals, he is silent.

All those Aunties & Thambees are behind DJ...& what made DJ to face the Media is that he is from a Media group & having close contacts with all Media stations & Print Press due to Advertising schedulings...so all thoe so called Pro/Anti Govt or Pro/Anti mafia Media stations also have to bend their knees for TRIAD due to Ads returns... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
We all know about Aunties Smile. What about Thambees? scratch

anu

anu

All what DJ would have intended not to tell, has been told and is there for anybody to read and understand with a little bit of skill to read between the lines......

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum