FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Today at 12:21 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Yesterday at 11:29 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Yesterday at 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

How do we need to diversify a Portfolio at Colombo Stock Exchange (CSE)?

+9
wikum100
xmart
Fresher
smallville
StocksWatch
ShareShares
Slstock
Antonym
UKboy
13 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

UKboy

UKboy
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

A stock market is little risky place to invest your money rather deposit money in a solid bank. But at the same time if you invest wisely you will be able to get good return. As basic risk mitigation plan we all must (over 95%) have diversified portfolios.

There are two commonly use ideas come to my mind when I think how to diversify a portfolio.
1. There is an old saying “Never put all your eggs in one basket”
2. Also godfather of investors said that “wide diversification is only required when investors don’t understand what they are doing.”

Some books suggest that 20 is the reasonable limit of companies under your portfolio.

I would like know your thoughts about this subjects. I know this is not a hot topic but it would be greatly appreciated all the experts as well as newbie comments on this.

Do you allocate money in different sectors? Or companies? Etc.....

How do we need to diversify a PF at Colombo Stock Exchange (CSE)?

Antonym

Antonym
Vice President - Equity Analytics

@UKboy: This is my investment strategy - I deposit 50% in bank fixed deposits and 50% in CSE.

At this moment, I have shares of only 3 companies (2 sectors). By doing this, I can monitor these better; it is like 'putting your eggs in one basket' and watching over that basket.

Focused investing is riskier, but the potential returns are also greater than in diversified investing.

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics

UKboy wrote:A stock market is little risky place to invest your money rather deposit money in a solid bank. But at the same time if you invest wisely you will be able to get good return. As basic risk mitigation plan we all must (over 95%) have diversified portfolios.

There are two commonly use ideas come to my mind when I think how to diversify a portfolio.
1. There is an old saying “Never put all your eggs in one basket”
2. Also godfather of investors said that “wide diversification is only required when investors don’t understand what they are doing.”

Some books suggest that 20 is the reasonable limit of companies under your portfolio.

I would like know your thoughts about this subjects. I know this is not a hot topic but it would be greatly appreciated all the experts as well as newbie comments on this.

Do you allocate money in different sectors? Or companies? Etc.....

How do we need to diversify a PF at Colombo Stock Exchange (CSE)?

Hi UKBoy,

I think there should be a balance between over diversification vs diversification. Some investors say if you find a share that you are confident about the future( long term potential) why not go all out. But to mitigate risk as you mentioned I also beleive in diversifiation to an extent.

In the past years I had a huge number of companies in my portfolio with only smaller number of shares. This was over divesification which gave me lesser profits. Then I started to consolidate. I think anyway between 10-15 companies is decent number to go for if you believe in diversification.

If one can spend lot of time on CSE and monitor market everyday ( to identify risk) then even goign for lesser might bring better

Slstock

Slstock

Antonym wrote:@UKboy: This is my investment strategy - I deposit 50% in bank fixed deposits and 50% in CSE.

At this moment, I have shares of only 3 companies (2 sectors). By doing this, I can monitor these better; it is like 'putting your eggs in one basket' and watching over that basket.

Focused investing is riskier, but the potential returns are also greater than in diversified investing.

Antonym. Yes I too do not put all my money CSE. Risk it every ware. Part FDs can bring you peace of mind for sure though lesser return. In my above post I mentioned what I fet about diversifaction as regard to CSE.

BTW what are the 2 sector you identified?

ShareShares

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

This is my personal opinion. I use a diversified portfolio, and then it is easy to identify moving shares. Any stock can have ups and downs always safe to have other sectors in the portfolio, if any share comes down unexpectedly there are other shares to compensate. After some time actually growing shares can be identified. I try to avoid manipulated shares these shares are volatile, I do not know when these things can come down, those shares are unpredictable.
I stick to time tested reliable and diversified set of shares medium to long term basis. Small cap large cap all types of shares. Some are slow moving some are fast moving. Generally I change stagnant shares to moving tocks. Under valued shares may not move for a long period. Look for future growth potential and momentum. I can’t recommend any shares to others, investors should be able to identify good shares on their own. I learn mostly by suffering losses. After some time avoid such shares. Others also can share their experiences. Often, long term experiances helps idetify suitable shares.

Similarly banks to CSE, just like stagnant shares to moving shares.

Last edited by ShareShares on Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

ShareShares

slstock wrote:
Antonym wrote:@UKboy: This is my investment strategy - I deposit 50% in bank fixed deposits and 50% in CSE.

Antonym. Yes I too do not put all my money CSE. Risk it every ware. Part FDs can bring you peace of mind for sure though lesser return. In my above post I mentioned what I fet about diversifaction as regard to CSE. Just like stagnant shares to moving shares, banks to CSE.

BTW what are the 2 sector you identified?

Sill the market is growing CSE can cotinue to grow at least till 2015 ..2016 even longer. CSE gives a better return medium term than the bank deposits. Occationally I tranfer from banks to CSE.

StocksWatch

My strategy is little bit different...As of today, I am holding shares of more than 35 companies...Now I know you are SURPRISED Shocked Here goes the reason for that.

When I dispose shares, I normally don't dispose the full quantity of shares that I am having in my portfolio with the exception of those expensive shares. So I generally keep about 100 shares just to monitor that share. Therefore out of these 35 odd companies, there are about 25 where I am only holding 100 shares. I know this is not the best way to keep track of your interested shares but this way is proven better for me.

I used to invest heavily in number of companies at the same time before, but now I have managed to reduce that number to around 10 which is comfortable for me at the moment. I intend to reduce this further as I get more knowledgable and experienced.

UKboy

UKboy

Thanks a lot guys more ideas are also welcomed.

My PF also expanded to 38 + 1 ( dead share Vanik) counters in two different brokers & now seriously thinking of consolidate it to 15-20 companies. Apart from three counters namely TWOD, SERV & dead share VANIK all other counters are in green (5%- 850%).

But the problem I have is if I sell some of these shares I really dont know what I can do with the money at CSE. The only option I have is buy shares in new companies. But this will again bring me back to 35+ companies. Neutral Idea

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

Diversification of Investments is essential to survive and prosper in the current uncertain times.
If you think of an investment, diversifying that investment means allocate funds in different categories of investment options, say;
1.) FDs or Saving acc
2.) Bonds / TBills
3.) Stock Market
4.) Financial Companies (Registered) / Business ventures
5.) Real estate Sector
6.) Fund Management (portfolio management) Companies
7.) Gold
8.) etc..

Diversification strategy shows diverse meanings to each and every investor, trader in the stock market.. Your strategy of diversification depends on your risk tolerance level.

Higher the risk, higher the return..

Over diversification leads to improper management of your portfolio, some may still like it and its also depend on your ability to get used to it on how to handle it Wink

For me, I only go with max 12 counters a time.. and I believe 15 is the max no of shares u need to keep in your profile..

On your situation UKBOY, its very difficult to give an opinion.. If I were you.. With the huge gains u pointed out, I'd cash out and invest in several aforementioned sections for further investments..
And abt 30% I'd reinvest in CSE too.. I'd find the valuable undervalues counters and invest handsomely to see my investment growth next yr..

Fresher

My experience
I had all my money in bank accounts before I started almost a year ago. I then went all out with CSE putting all my money in it. Only amount that I didn't was the FD of which certificate I had lost. Smile
I got more than a 100% gain during this time (I was very lucky). But had I been more patient I could have had more. eg: I bought TAFL at 40 and sold at 70. bought at 80 and sold at 100. bought at 115 and sold at 140 etc...

I did this 100% CSE investment taking a risk bt i wanted to take that risk.I will diversify this, when I have enough wealth to do so. But now, this is the best growth investment for me.

In the CSE I had followed a very similar strategy to StocksWatch. Even now I have more than 25 companies in my PF but many of them just 100 shares.

It is true that if you are absolutely sure about a company's future, you must go ahead and invest a major portion in that. But at the same time there can be another share or shares that can go up for sure in the future. So diversify to get a better profit. SO for me, it is while mitigating the risk, get some balanced profits too.

xmart

xmart
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

mate, I'm not a big fan of diversification. I have invested in 3 companies until they give my expected return. meanwhile, i'm doing fast trading from T+5, if i have to hold more than T+5, I have margin.
this method work for me.

wikum100

UKboy wrote: Apart from three counters namely TWOD, SERV & dead share VANIK all other counters are in green (5%- 850%).

very interesting uk boy ....to have such amount of gain these days when the market is so down
why dont you arrange some tution class...:how to gain at cse:
i will be your first student Smile

mark

mark
Expert
Expert

wow,very nice and attractive comments......
btw
*i'm not a long term investor
*i'm not holding a share over one month
*i sell off when it give me at least 20% return
*not much diversifying
*some illiquids
*i'm a bargain hunter these days
*if a share stagnant too much,i'll sell off

Antonym

Antonym

No offense to anybody, but I find it funny when people say that the market is down. The fact is that the ASI has increased by 4.2% in the last month, 2.8% in the last quarter and 81% in the last year... What will happen when the market actually goes into a long decline - as markets do sometimes?

The best way to avoid losses is to identify fundamentally strong shares and lengthen your investment horizons. I don't know where the ASI will be next week, but I am willing to bet that - in a year's time, it will be closer to 9,000 than to 8,000.

What do you think?

RockStock

Manager - Equity Analytics

To have a gain up to 850%, UK boy must be a medium ti long term investor, aren't you?

One reason I see wide diversification is lucrative in a market like CSE, is ,because you can make use of so called rallies. if you have 10 stocks, they can rally in ten different times and you can book profits time to time, I made use of it fairly successfully for BFL,LGL,TAFL,PCH,CINV,LFIN,UML etc, as we know the share price of those stocks dropped significantly after the peak of the rally.

mark

mark
Expert
Expert

RockStock wrote:To have a gain up to 850%, UK boy must be a medium ti long term investor, aren't you?

One reason I see wide diversification is lucrative in a market like CSE, is ,because you can make use of so called rallies. if you have 10 stocks, they can rally in ten different times and you can book profits time to time, I made use of it fairly successfully for BFL,LGL,TAFL,PCH,CINV,LFIN,UML etc, as we know the share price of those stocks dropped significantly after the peak of the rally.

CORRECT ROCKSTOCK....from your list,subdivision really worked on UML,LFIN.........

factFINDER

factFINDER

Sad

Last edited by factFINDER on Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

UKboy

UKboy

Thanks alot for all your valuable comments guys. (Antonym, slstock, shareshares, stockswatch, smallville, npp, xmart, wikum, mark, rockstock and all.....)

Last edited by UKboy on Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

UKboy

UKboy

RockStock wrote:To have a gain up to 850%, UK boy must be a medium ti long term investor, aren't you?

I normally prefer to keep my shares for a while & hardly sell anything less than 3 months. Before 2009 I used to do quite a lot short term investments. 2007-2008 was the most difficult era for me at CSE. Those days you can hardly see share movements & 5%-10% profits from an investment was more than enough to survive.

To be honest in my life at CSE I never tried to follow things called rallies. I always consider rallies are bonus profits for my PF. It is still the same & buy a share at the lowest possible price is the best way to survive.

Aamiable

xmart wrote:mate, I'm not a big fan of diversification. I have invested in 3 companies until they give my expected return. meanwhile, i'm doing fast trading from T+5, if i have to hold more than T+5, I have margin.
this method work for me.

if there is margin fascility it is easy to hold until they grow.

Smile Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum