FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by ChooBoy Today at 5:29 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Today at 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Yesterday at 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

CSE and future

+23
traderathome
pathfinder
KDDND
nimantha80
knockknobbler
jonta999
econ
D.G.Dayaratne
Rapaport
Leon
sahan8896
dhanurrox
K.Haputantri
UKboy
Kumar
The Alchemist
bullrun
hunter
Backstage
Antonym
Jana1
kalum
Slstock
27 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1CSE and future Empty CSE and future Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:48 am

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics

Hello All,

Thought it was time to make an update on market.  ( actually I wrote the below lat week , but forgot to post).

Hope some of you already read
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t29674-future-at-cse
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t30452-market-situation-and-what-to-do

Lets start off with some facts

1) ASI hit nearly 5600 and market was over sold by a lot . Some shares hit 2012 june prices and lower even
2) Next month is a big one for Sri Lanka  due to  CHOGM
3) Also Budget is coming up
4) The expectation for Super September did not come.
5)  The high interest rate times are behind  and Govn is now focused on growth  ;-)  . Most companies with debt should start
   reporting      lower interest payments in due course
6) Gold seems to have settled down to lesser volatility ,  and financial institutions would already have made gold provision based on June 31st. ( Ie Gold is now higher than June 31st)

Now let look at the present Market

1)  Our neighboring countries have reported much better YTD gains  while  CSE is lagging behind.
  (  Our forward market PEs  for overall market and selected share are not bad at all )
 http://www.ft.lk/2013/10/07/sri-lankas-valuations-still-attractive-broker/
2)  Good companies will in due course try to mediate high energy  cost issues   and their reports should start showing positivity
 ( June quarter was bad for specially the industrial segment)
3) Trader who were starved for money got a new life , with massive TWOD, CIFL  fluctuations .
  Small priced stock are one by one going up bringing  hope and important Traders  back to market.
  ( Traders are  the ones  who push prices up) .
4) Order books are showing improvement. Large order come and go (  Means people are there on the side line   waiting for the time)
 Ex :
CSE and future Secret12

Technicals :  Some good indication are there  in Technicals like the ASI crossing  the 50 and 200 MA  ( techies already talked about it ),  MACD been positive  ,   RSI been in a region which is decent  ;-)

Investors :
Have your fundamental share not gone up while  crap with no/ess  fundamentals have shot up 50-200%.  Do not worry. There will be time for everything. Await your time . When markets are beaten up, it is not unsual for trading shares to go up first. This is good thing for liquidity.

For Trading :  
Also watch some penny stocks and small cap stock that did not move much since hitting ASI 5600.

Becareful :  

I know it is useless to say but will say so I can use the famous quote here " I told you so" .   Do not run after, speculatives shares that already have a run . Though it might get pushed up , the chances of something going wrong to loose 50% in a day or 2 is high also.

Disclosure:

I have reasons to believe things are  getting  brighter now :-) But  please read my signature.  Stock market is a psychological game and I can be proven to be wrong.  Btw,  true share worth is not shown at times and it depends on who and when enters to push it. (  Raises the question  is Market always right?)

Also though I am more into fundamentals , I do pay attention to technical and pattern reading.

Last edited by slstock on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

2CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:07 am

Slstock

Slstock

BTw, we need to add the 50pts policy cut today as another positive.

Please share your sentiments and opinions. Collective sentiments sometimes can give an indication for market direction .

Btw, we are not talking continous green here . there will be RED days , which are needed for a healthy market.

3CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:07 am

kalum

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Another good post in timely manner Smile 

I also sense a good period in CSE. many reputed counters given investors to stand up JKH,SAMP,CIC,HDFS etc:

The severe cases which likely to be a huge disaster (TWOD,CIFL) handling smoothly. So both investors in CSE and company have chances to recover.

Hotel sector to be boost in future with parallel to CHOGM.
Observed almost all the sectors to be boost Smile

I too hope 2014 will be a good year for SL and CSE. Smile

4CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:05 pm

Jana1

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

hmm.

Seems mkt is heading to North without any attention to its historical month formula (Oct and Nov is worst)...

5CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:28 pm

Slstock

Slstock

Its all in the mind .   Still there are shares that are 0.5 - 0.6 book value and trading at PE of 4-5. Some of these  pay good dividends too.  But no  market interest.  

Right now I see 185 people in the forum. When market start running, let see  how  much it will go up by to join in the fun.
Then many will buy some shares at 20-50% more than now.  ( This is not a recommendation to jump in and load you cart immediately.   Study what are short term shares and long term shares and invest wisely.)

Today afternoon ,  can it get more interesting or will there be a delay for CSE to respond further  like after the last  rate cut ?
( partly market was expecting this with  the green  period over the last few weeks )

Jana1 wrote:hmm.

Seems mkt is heading to North without any attention to its historical month formula (Oct and Nov is worst)...

Last edited by slstock on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)

6CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Antonym

Antonym
Vice President - Equity Analytics

Market Turnover: Rs 2.500 billion. More than 84% from JKH & JKH(R). Today certainly belonged to John Keells Holdings PLC.

And the future is looking good...!

7CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:08 pm

Backstage

Backstage

Since the macro plan is to significantly broaden the market cap, a market environment conducive to introducing big ipo s will be created. Support of the govt controlled institutions will be obtained. Will the future earnings of companies keep pace ?

Nice to see a cautious man like Antony with bullish enthusiasm.

8CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Slstock

Slstock

When listing an IPO, a decent valuation needs to be done on the introductory price.     People will be smarter now after the fiasco on SHL, EXPO , CIFL etc   when they chase after IPOs  ( I hope).   As we have seen, the bear made most of the overvalued counters to kneel and touch the ground, and sometimes even crawl with belly up.  

With regard to large market caps being listed , as long as their individual valuations remain  decent , its effects on over valuing overall market will be lesser.  

Broker also should behave ethically, not to make a joke of themselves to value the way they did with share like SHL,EXPO. Big shots and retailer should not make a mockery to value share the way they did on GREG for example  

A collective effort needs to be made this time not to harm the hen that can lay golden eggs.  
BTw,   most of the companies requested to list are not directly under Govn control ( BRandix, MAS, Biscuit manufactures etc) .  

Backstage wrote:Since the macro plan is to significantly broaden the market cap, a market environment conducive to introducing big ipo s will be created. Support of the govt controlled institutions will be obtained.  Will the future earnings of companies keep pace ?

Nice to see a cautious man like Antony with bullish enthusiasm.  

9CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:34 am

hunter

hunter

Me too!
Getting ready for action packed couple of months ahead.!!
bounce 

10CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:46 pm

bullrun

bullrun

there are some penny counters that can be perform well as well as a lot of counters that can expect better performance. Shall we list the shares which trade lower than the BV first to get an idea?

11CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:21 pm

The Alchemist

slstock wrote: Ex :
CSE and future Secret12

So can anyone guess what company's order book this is in above example ?

12CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:04 pm

Slstock

Slstock

Haha , I was waiting for someone to note/ask  :-)    

For further info, I saw a large order of 400,000 shares there whole day yesterday at Rs 32.  I will keep the guessing exercise  open.
( I am sure Alchemist knows )

Also Bullrun suggested we discuss some shares here. Good idea.  

As I have  time to time in the forum  mentioned / discussed some shares I am  watching, ( still am)  , I will not state them here again.
Some of those share ( which are long term  fundamentals )  have increased in value further  but amazingly still no big interesst  have got in.  Some of them also pay  5-10% divinded yield to current market price. So until the retailer get in they will keep silent.

As a start for a discussion ,  I believe  selected Fin/Bank sector shares are trading at fractions of values they are worth ( Contrary to some people's opinion )

Other are welcome to discuss shares with some reasons or  stats.  

The Alchemist wrote:
CSE and future Secret12

Last edited by slstock on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

13CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:13 pm

Kumar

Kumar
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

The Alchemist wrote:
CSE and future Secret12

Seems to be HHL.

14CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:40 am

Slstock

Slstock

Another good news ( global effect)

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/senate-votes-avoid-default-open-government-20593201

15CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:48 pm

The Alchemist

Kumar wrote:
The Alchemist wrote:
CSE and future Secret12

Seems to be HHL.
It could be but i dont think so. I am thinking of another one. you know the one that has land in the fort. i could be wrong. sls will be able to confirm this.

16CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:53 pm

Kumar

Kumar

The Alchemist wrote:
Kumar wrote:
The Alchemist wrote:
CSE and future Secret12

Seems to be HHL.
It could be but i dont think so. I am thinking of another one. you know the one that has land in the fort. i could be wrong. sls will be able to confirm this.
In the recent past there were 3 options Colombo Fort Land, Seylan Bank Non Voting and HHL. My choice was HHL. Anyway Slstock could confirm later.

17CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:15 pm

UKboy

UKboy

Time to time CSE is a good place to invest your money.
The issue with most Sri Lankan investors/traders or retailers (whatever the name) is that, they are always looking for a scapegoat if any negative result occur from their investment.

18CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:56 am

K.Haputantri

K.Haputantri
Co-Admin

Very Good post. I missed it as I was out of Colombo for some times. Thanks slstock. I too hope that your predictions would come true.

19CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:54 pm

dhanurrox

Fully loaded few weeks ago and looking for new money.alien 

20CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:08 am

Slstock

Slstock

Finally after a long wait, ASI crossed 6000 2 times now.
Today and tomorrow is  crucial to see whether it stays above 6000 with large volume. If it does, and we seen a run till 6500 , we may never see 6000 Again ;-)

Except for the forthcoming,  March 2014 human right issues, the environment is set for one way in  the stock market. UP.  There can be hiccups in the middle, but CSE nearly had a 3 year dull period.  With CB clearly signalling a path for growth, interest rates/borrowing rate coming down, GSP back in the sack, US, European economies signalling a come back, CSE showing poor performance in 2013 when many stock markets recovered , 2014 appears  a overall good year for CSE ( again discounting the unexpected) .

So, time to be positive and believe. If everyone does , CSE is going to have a good time.  Pointless always being negative. We are here at CSE to gain and not to loose all the time right.  

Don;t make the mistake you made in the past. Don;t chase after speculatives to only hold them high and maybe never recover. Time for mind shift.

21CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:18 am

sahan8896

slstock wrote:Finally after a long wait, ASI crossed 6000 2 times now.
Today and tomorrow is  crucial to see whether it stays above 6000 with large volume. If it does,  we may never see 6000 Again ;-)

Except for the forthcoming,  March 2014 human right issues, the environment is set for one way in  the stock market. UP.  There can be hiccups in the middle, but CSE nearly had a 3 year dull period.  With CB clearly signalling a path for growth, interest rates/borrowing rate coming down, GSP back in the sack, US, European economies signalling a come back, CSE showing poor performance in 2013 when many stock markets recovered , 2014 appears  a overall good year for CSE ( again discounting the unexpected) .

So, time to be positive and believe. If everyone does , CSE is going to have a good time.  Pointless always being negative. We are here at CSE to gain and not to loose all the time right.  

Don;t make the mistake you made in the past. Don;t chase after speculatives to only hold them high and maybe never recover. Time for mind shift.
Nice to see slstock in aggressive mode.

22CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:16 pm

Slstock

Slstock

Treasury rate almost not worth investing now.

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t32276-tb-rate-down-08-01-2013-423353-bps

23CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:06 pm

Slstock

Slstock

The volume on Jan 8th could have been better but it improved over last day. If this keeps up it will be good.

Else the danger is a selected few shares makes ASI go up, and when they fall the other shares are worse priced than before. We seen this dangerous cycle several times.

Anyway, at somepoint market needs to turn around and mentalities needs to shift. We all are so skeptical as the past 3 years was a total disappointment and repeated false ups happened with falls being brutal effecting sometimes the good more than the bad.

People sell off with smallest profit due to the worry, and it does not help the market to go higher up with sustainability. More people need to hold than sell.

Still there are many shares trading at 50%-70% NAV and PE of 5-10.

Can;t still say for sure as the trends is not super strong, but what we need is a run to upto 6300-6500 within january and then settle well above 6000 for the next hike.

Dec quarter may be still like Sept for most companies but staring from MArch 2014 I think companies will start recovering. Gold also seems to settle at around Rs 1200. Some Fin companies evaluated their portfolio around this figure and took safety measures so we might not see more impairments unless gold takes another big plunge ( unlikely )

24CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:39 pm

Leon

slstock wrote:Treasury rate almost not worth investing now.

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t32276-tb-rate-down-08-01-2013-423353-bps

Let;s hope for the best. May all those money come to CSE.

25CSE and future Empty Re: CSE and future Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:19 pm

Slstock

Slstock

Just above half in market , and turnover Rs 1 bil and trades 8400. About half of it is HNB crossing.

Still not bad . Not bad. Confidence can do wonders.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum