FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» HSENID BUSINESS SOLUTIONS PLC (HBS.N0000)
by ResearchMan Today at 9:25 am

» Financial Woes at Richard Pieris Group
by ResearchMan Today at 9:20 am

» Report a Tax Evasion and Get Rewarded upto 15%
by God Father Fri May 31, 2024 11:51 am

» LankaGPT Platform Launched in Sri Lanka
by God Father Wed May 29, 2024 11:46 pm

» Sri Lanka’s Popularity Is Surging With Travelers. Here’s Where To Go
by ResearchMan Wed May 29, 2024 1:10 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 29, 2024 1:06 pm

» FINANCE AND LEASING SECTOR
by ErangaDS Wed May 29, 2024 10:17 am

» CDB Non voting
by buddikasmart Wed May 29, 2024 8:03 am

» Will share market be taxed after new Gazette./manik de silva
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 27, 2024 2:14 pm

» Focus on Government controlled entities
by Ekanayake90 Mon May 27, 2024 7:31 am

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by Ekanayake90 Mon May 27, 2024 7:29 am

» Seylan Bank did not pay final coupon of expired debentures
by Gaudente Wed May 22, 2024 2:32 pm

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by agentnrox Wed May 22, 2024 1:50 pm

» Richard Pieris Exports PLC (REXP.N0000) future looks bleak!
by God Father Mon May 20, 2024 10:08 pm

» Sri Lanka key Economic Indicators and Future Outlook for 2024
by God Father Mon May 20, 2024 6:06 pm

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by glad Mon May 20, 2024 9:27 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Thu May 16, 2024 9:13 am

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

HOPL - is it trading at a massive discount

+6
smallville
monash
tubal
ipoguru
mark
TuskerLK
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

TuskerLK

TuskerLK
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Today HOPL is trading at 70/=. HOPL recently reported a EPS of 13.28, which means that share is trading at PE less than 6. Isn't it a attractive counter.Views appreciated

Disclosure: HOPL is not in my PF but under my watch list

Last edited by Quibit on Thu May 26, 2011 2:11 pm; edited 3 times in total

mark

mark
Expert
Expert

FY12E EPS-Rs.14.99
PRICE-70Rs
PE-4.7times

*The rubber segment was the largest contributor to group GP accounting for around
78% of total GP while the tea segment accounted for only 27%. GP margins in both
segments showed considerable improvement over 4QFY10 but over the adjacent quarter,both segments witnessed a decline in margins due to increase in costs.

*Having factored in an arbitrary increase of 12% in cost of sales including the wage hike,we expect HOPL to post Rs. 374 million in earnings for FY12E given favourable
weather conditions. This translates to an EPS of Rs. 14.99. a significant discount to the sector

Further discussions...
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/search?mode=searchbox&search_keywords=hopl&show_results=posts

ipoguru

mark wrote:FY12E EPS-Rs.14.99
PRICE-70Rs
PE-4.7times

*The rubber segment was the largest contributor to group GP accounting for around
78% of total GP while the tea segment accounted for only 27%. GP margins in both
segments showed considerable improvement over 4QFY10 but over the adjacent quarter,both segments witnessed a decline in margins due to increase in costs.

*Having factored in an arbitrary increase of 12% in cost of sales including the wage hike,we expect HOPL to post Rs. 374 million in earnings for FY12E given favourable
weather conditions. This translates to an EPS of Rs. 14.99. a significant discount to the sector

Further discussions...
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/search?mode=searchbox&search_keywords=hopl&show_results=posts

KGAL and HOPL being manipulated. I witnessed signs price forcefully kept down.

Once the KGAL reports are out prices will start to increase again.

TuskerLK

TuskerLK

ipoguru wrote:

True, today also I noticed that couple of thousand shares were dumped at 70/= at the last two hours. For me this is more than an attractive counter, thinking of start collecting.

Don't consider this as a buy/sell recommendation. It's you, who is responsible for your decision.

tubal

Vice President - Equity Analytics

Being the biggest bear here and I don't agree when people say prices are being forced down.

It's damned hard to force the price down of anything. To force the price down, you need to sell massive quantities for shares. That means you need to hold a lot of shares in the first place. So you need to sell what you own at a loss. You will probably not be able to buy back at a lower price because bargain hunters always move in. It has been statistically proven that people are more likely to hold on to a losing position. So in the unlikely event that prices are being pushed down, it will not cause others to sell at a loss.

Pushing the price up is a lot easier, put in a fake buy order for about 100,000 shares and retailers will jump in and push the price up for you.

Ok , to cut a long story short: The market is falling under it's own weight. There isn't a single plantation that is under valued. Plantations are supposed to trade at low PE.

ipoguru

tubal wrote:Being the biggest bear here and I don't agree when people say prices are being forced down.

It's damned hard to force the price down of anything. To force the price down, you need to sell massive quantities for shares. That means you need to hold a lot of shares in the first place. So you need to sell what you own at a loss. You will probably not be able to buy back at a lower price because bargain hunters always move in. It has been statistically proven that people are more likely to hold on to a losing position. So in the unlikely event that prices are being pushed down, it will not cause others to sell at a loss.

Pushing the price up is a lot easier, put in a fake buy order for about 100,000 shares and retailers will jump in and push the price up for you.

Ok , to cut a long story short: The market is falling under it's own weight. There isn't a single plantation that is under valued. Plantations are supposed to trade at low PE.

What if you sell and let your wife buy( I think its possible for same person to sell and buy with different accounts with different brokers. Please clarify this..) Then you are only loosing brokerage .
When market is going down others are normally afraid to buy. So it is so easy to do this game. This is what I imagine.
In the mean time if some body sells at a stop loss you can collect them.

Can you explain why you think that plantations should trade at P/E about 5.

HOPL's NAVPS is also more than 30 rupees I think.

ipoguru

ipoguru wrote:
tubal wrote:Being the biggest bear here and I don't agree when people say prices are being forced down.

What if you sell and let your wife buy( I think its possible for same person to sell and buy with different accounts with different brokers. Please clarify this..) Then you are only loosing brokerage .
When market is going down others are normally afraid to buy. So it is so easy to do this game. This is what I imagine.

I'm getting this, It is so easy....

Say best Bid is 75 and offer is 79

place a order to 75.10 for 5000 shares and then sell your 5000 shares to you at 75.10. Being matched and immediately executed.
Sell about 100 or 200 to others also at 75 and then suddenly you can see best Bid goes down to 73 rupees.

Then sell another 10000 shares (from you to you ) at 73.10.

Isn't this possible tubal. If I have had at least 50 million rupees I will try doing this.

tubal

ipoguru wrote:
ipoguru wrote:

place a order to 75.10 for 5000 shares and then sell your 5000 shares to you at 75.10. Being matched and immediately executed.
Sell about 100 or 200 to others also at 75 and then suddenly you can see best Bid goes down to 73 rupees.

Isn't this possible tubal. If I have had at least 50 million rupees I will try doing this.

What I said was that it's not impossible to push a price down but it's difficult. What you are saying above can be done and has been done. However while novices only buy shares after they have jumped about 20% in price, there are countless value investors waiting to pounce on shares when the price drops. I for one have list of shares that I would buy if only the price was a bit cheaper. Wish someone would try the tactic you have mentioned with DIMO or DOCK

As for why plantations should trade at low PE: open the annual report of your three favourite plantation companies and look at the 10 year summary.

monash

monash

ipoguru wrote:

I agreed with both ipo guru and Tubal for some extent. It is possible to force price down of a stock and it has been done in the past. I have seen this a lot on poultry stocks, Reef and Greg family stocks. But it is very difficult to implement as the manipulator should be a high net worth person to do it.

But i don't think today anybody tried to keep the price down. I have a different view of recent downward trend in HOPL, KGAL, KOTA and other plantation stocks. What i think is this was caused because of investors skeptical and precocious about ongoing wage hike issue.

I strongly believe if KGAL, NAMU and KOTA come up with impressive results. HOPL will also appreciate with them as it currently undervalued. It was witnessed on last plantation run also.

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

tubal wrote:

I like this part..
There is RISK with plantations, every qrt is not like the earlier one or the one that will follow.. Rains, cost of production will heavily hit the revenue.. So obviously plantations must be traded at a low PE.

Currently most rubber + oil palm plantations are fairly valued as per their last earnings suggested.. But we're looking for more.. We've seen HOPL results are good.. Even BALA was outstanding..
In that view if KGAL, NAMU, KOTA can produce better than last qtr results.. they are gonna be undervalued for current price very soon..

UKboy

UKboy
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

tinyman wrote:
ipoguru wrote:

True, today also I noticed that couple of thousand shares were dumped at 70/= at the last two hours. For me this is more than an attractive counter, thinking of start collecting.

What..... If this happened in Dow Jones or FTSE100 people will call it as a result of Professional trading but at CSE its just a result of manipulation Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

ipoguru

UKboy wrote:
tinyman wrote:
ipoguru wrote:

What..... If this happened in Dow Jones or FTSE100 people will call it as a result of Professional trading but at CSE its just a result of manipulation :roll: :roll:

If you can't use your brain and analyse what happening you are going to get robbed soon.

FYI Manipulation done even in Dow Jones or FTSE100 but they are quite big markets compared to CSE so manipulating is quite difficult. In CSE if you have few hundered millions , good network of brokers worshiping you and with abundantly available stupid retailers its a walk in the park.

ipoguru

tubal wrote:
ipoguru wrote:
ipoguru wrote:

What I said was that it's not impossible to push a price down but it's difficult. What you are saying above can be done and has been done. However while novices only buy shares after they have jumped about 20% in price, there are countless value investors waiting to pounce on shares when the price drops. I for one have list of shares that I would buy if only the price was a bit cheaper. Wish someone would try the tactic you have mentioned with DIMO or DOCK

As for why plantations should trade at low PE: open the annual report of your three favourite plantation companies and look at the 10 year summary.

I am still not convinced that pushing price down in HOPL is that difficult. In past few days trading volumes were not huge. Every body was waiting for a rally but that did not happen and KGAL results were not out. So interest were low so pushing price down is easy forcing people to sell at loss (bought on credit or different reasons). Its not difficult to push down price if you time it correctly. It will be difficult to keep price down of HOPL when KGAL starts running.

Even in DIMO price is kept at 1600 levels not letting price to go up beyond that. In DIMO pushing down price below 1600 levels would be difficult . I think both are manipulations. I do not follow DOCK.

Sometimes I am too skeptical but I think its good rather than being ignorant. In CSE week after week you see prices soar up by 30% to 50% in different stocks. How this is possible without manipulation week after week... quite amazing isn't it?

Tubal you being a biggest bear you like prices to go down don't you? Like most Bull's posting stories price will soar up? It's natural that Bull's want price to go up and Bear's want price to go down.

So I understand that you are justifying a price dip in HOPL like a Bull's justification of GRAN will reach 300 rupees... (may be the comparison bit harsh... )

Its natural and quite human

Last edited by ipoguru on Sat May 28, 2011 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

tubal

ipoguru wrote:
tubal wrote:
ipoguru wrote:
ipoguru wrote:

I am still not convinced that pushing price down is not in HOPL. Even in DIMO price is kept at 1600 levels not letting price to go up beyond that. In DIMO pushing down price below 1600 levels would be difficult . I think both are manipulations. I do not follow DOCK.

Sometimes I am too skeptical but I think its good rather than being ignorant. In CSE week after week you see prices soar up by 30% to 50% in different stocks. How this is possible without manipulation week after week... quite amazing isn't it?

Tubal you being a biggest bear you like prices to go down don't you? Like most Bull's posting stories price will soar up? It's natural that Bull's want price to go up and Bear's want price to go down.

So I understand that you are justifying a price dip in HOPL like a Bull's justification of GRAN will reach 300 rupees... (may be the comparison bit harsh... )

Ok, let me try to come up with a retort over the rest of the weekend

ipoguru

Tubal FYI I did edit my post above after your reply so have a look again.

tubal

ipoguru wrote:Tubal FYI I did edit my post above after your reply so have a look again.
Well, I was just kidding, your post doesn't leave me with much room to argue

UKboy

UKboy

ipoguru wrote:

If you can't use your brain and analyse what happening you are going to get robbed soon.

That is excatly what has been happening in the market for last year or so.

ipoguru wrote:
FYI Manipulation done even in Dow Jones or FTSE100 but they are quite big markets compared to CSE so manipulating is quite difficult. In CSE if you have few hundered millions , good network of brokers worshiping you and with abundantly available stupid retailers its a walk in the park.

No no no we cannt say that any manipulation can be happened in places like Dow Jones or FTSE100. We do not call those people as manipulators & it is not allowed even to think that those are manipulators.

We called them professional traders. Laughing

ipoguru

tubal wrote:
ipoguru wrote:Tubal FYI I did edit my post above after your reply so have a look again.

Hey pal I was expecting a reply from you. I wanted to have constructive argument.
May be I was bit harsh. Will try to rectify in future.

tubal

ipoguru wrote:
tubal wrote:

Hey pal I was expecting a reply from you. I wanted to have constructive argument.
May be I was bit harsh. Will try to rectify in future.

No no, I didn't think your reply was harsh, It's just that the way you presented your point of view it didn't leave much room for me to retort.

It occurred to me that since I am always sayings those rallies are fake, guess I shouldn't argue too much when someone says the sell offs are also fake.

So no offense taken. Very Happy

ipoguru

I did see buying pressure increasing today. In the morning there was 100,000 order at 65 rupees. This went up slightly today.

mark

mark
Expert
Expert

did you guys see HOPL trades today.
this was pushed down to 68 by a big sell order of 153,600 shares executed at 68-70.10 at 10:05:39am.......Hmmmmmm,sold with a good dividend. scratch

monash

monash

mark wrote:did you guys see HOPL trades today.
this was pushed down to 68 by a big sell order of 153,600 shares executed at 68-70.10 at 10:05:39am.......Hmmmmmm,sold with a good dividend. scratch

I can't understand even with attractive dividend why people selling undervalued stocks with a lot of potential like HOPL. Interesting to see where this money going.. IPOs or speculative shares.. cyclops Here is phrase i quote from LBO market report today..

"Brokers say investors were cashing into to buy into Softlogic, one of the largest initial public offers seen in recent years, while some punters were selling out of blue chips to buy into speculative stocks"

This is not a positive sign for market by any means.. Evil or Very Mad

suja

Uncertainty has played in many investors minds regarding plantations. Though many positive reports from stock brokers the price of plantation stock is not moving,

mark

mark
Expert
Expert

update of HOPL price,see above for facts

*current price-64.50
*FY12E-EPS-15Rs

*current net price(cost) after deduct dividend of 4Rs.
-(64.50-4.00)=60.50

PE-(60.50/15)=4times
please tell me a plantation company which is below this PER...,i may be wrong Cool

factFINDER

factFINDER
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

mark wrote:update of HOPL price,see above for facts

*current price-64.50
*FY12E-EPS-15Rs

*current net price(cost) after deduct dividend of 4Rs.
-(64.50-4.00)=60.50

PE-(60.50/15)=4times
please tell me a plantation company which is below this PER...,i may be wrong Cool

Yes, the only exception is MAL.
It traded at PER 3.70 and P/BV 1.04 (MAL.N closed at 8.20)

at the net market price of 60.50 HOPL trades at PER 4.64 and P/BV 1.58.
The diffrence is arised becoz mark used FY12Y(Estimated) while I used historical (lase 4Qs) data.

Last edited by factFINDER on Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum