FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by glad Today at 9:27 am

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by D.G.Dayaratne Yesterday at 7:28 am

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Fri May 17, 2024 9:08 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Thu May 16, 2024 9:13 am

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Price band impacts the “day traders” who dominate the market

+6
tubal
pushpakumara
mark
JennyFunny
rijayasooriya
milanka
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

milanka

milanka
Vice President - Equity Analytics

By. R. M. B. Senanayake

The SEC continues to impose price bands whenever the price of a stock rises too rapidly. There may be a case to do so in the case of highly illiquid shares. But there is no doubt that it is a deterrent to day trading. The type of trading that most people are familiar with, is buying stock, waiting for its value to increase, and then selling the stock to take their profit (known as buy and hold trading). But today the market is dominated by short term traders who buy and want to sell at a profit in a day or two or even in the same day. There is of course nothing wrong in such trading. Day traders also want to make a profit when a stock’s value is decreasing, so they need to be able to sell a stock, wait for its value to decrease, and then buy the stock back at a lower price (known as shorting a stock). But unfortunately our market has no provision for short selling and hence this trading option is not available. This undoubtedly makes for large increases in the price of a stock which is in demand by short term traders.

You may read and hear many explanations about stock prices and why they rise and fall like they do. You will hear about the influence of company earnings on stock prices or the economy or the credit market. While all of these factors figure into price changes, they have little direct impact on prices. What these and other factors do is change the balance of supply and demand. Stock prices are a function of supply and demand. Other influences such as earnings, the economy and so on may affect the desirability of owning (or selling) a stock.

If a company reports surprisingly low earnings, demand for the stock may wither. As it does, the balance between buyers and sellers is changed. Buyers will demand a discount off the existing price and many motivated sellers will accommodate. More sellers than buyers means there is more supply than demand, so the price falls.

But there are other factors too, like the market for control of companies which also affect the balance of supply and demand. Short term traders can make money only in stocks which have high volatility. It is when a share price fluctuates a lot that the trader can make money. Of course he has to buy when the price is low and sell at its maximum rise. Stocks that have gone up recently, especially those with a lot of press, often attract even more buyers. This obviously drives the price up even higher. People get excited about what they read and see and want a part of the action. They jump into a stock that is already trading at a premium – they buy high. Experienced traders can make money jumping in and out of a stock that’s caught the public’s attention, but it’s not a game for the inexperienced and it’s not investing.

What traders do is to buy a share which is moving rapidly and then sell out when he has made a sufficient profit. There is nothing wrong in that. The imposition of price bands deters such short term trading. High turnover benefit brokers as well as the CSE, the SEC and the government since they get higher income there-by. What then is the rationale for imposing price bands?

The writer is a senior economist and functions as the General Manager at a Colombo based Stock Brokering firm. You can reach him on raja.senanayake712@gmail.com

http://www.news360.lk/in-depth/price-band-impacts-the-%e2%80%9cday-traders%e2%80%9d-who-dominate-the-market

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/u188

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

I agreed with him.
Imposing price band is unnecessary intervention.....Of course there has some sort of control over pure manipulation....But this price band method is really unnecessary.....This is my personal opinion.

JennyFunny

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

agree with you rijayasooriya..

JennyFunny

Great article Btw...

mark

mark
Expert
Expert

actually i lost 80%,because of this price band.... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

pushpakumara

The question is with the "Price band" what authorities are trying to achieve? If I am right the present market situation started from the date the Price Band introduced?

If it is to avoid moving up of prices of illiquid shares to unrealistic figures , what authorities can do is to create awareness amongst investing public on how to pick good shares without following the "manipulators".If someone get caught to the rally it will be upto that person to bear the loss and learn the ill effects of ivesting in illiquid shares. (Most of us have had experienced losses in our trading periods)

So my opinion is let market forces (supply and demand) to move freely to create free market flow, so that it will help the market to rise from present situation.

Any way a good article with some good points and hope authorities will take some positive measures in the future to disband the Price band and come out with some innovative solution/proposal.

JennyFunny

Yea very good point..Btw just out of curiosity does anyone know if there are any such price bands in more developed Equity Markets like NYSE,SGX,LSE,ASX??

Cheers

tubal

The author seems unaware that stocks cannot be shorted in the CSE yet. Wonder if his brokering firm will take steps to overcome that.

@pushpakumara i have lost count of the number of - reps I have got for answering the question 'why does share x go up' with the answer 'manipulation'.

@sanjivfund
in other countries manipulators are prosecuted. There is no need for price bands. Price bands are imposed when the SEC suspects manipulation. WOnder why they are not prosecuting

pushpakumara

Hi Tubal

If an illiquid share to go up in Price I was thinking what possibilities are there for it to go up? There should be an artificial increase or overall market to go up and then we can think of a slight adjustment to prices or some positive news to come from illiquid company. But most probable cause is "artificial increase" and I used the word "manipulators".

Do not know how you got - rep for using the word. May be a wrong answer to a right question? : the one who gave it may be having a thorough knowledge on stock market. Very Happy : Hope you got it right no offence

JennyFunny

@tubal..good question..well i guess this is Srilanka..

tubal

pushpakumara wrote:Hi Tubal

If an illiquid share to go up in Price I was thinking what possibilities are there for it to go up? There should be an artificial increase or overall market to go up and then we can think of a slight adjustment to prices or some positive news to come from illiquid company. But most probable cause is "artificial increase" and I used the word "manipulators".

Do not know how you got - rep for using the word. May be a wrong answer to a right question? : the one who gave it may be having a thorough knowledge on stock market. Very Happy : Hope you got it right no offence

I think you are new here. If you hang around you will find that the vast majority of people here disagree that prices go up most because of manipulations. YOu talk about educating investors but there people are really not investors and many members hear have tried to educate them and got negative reps. I am not talking of one specific negative rep i have got. I've got bucket loads of them. Many of the others here who speak the truth seem to have got similar numbers.

Gainer

Gainer
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

The SEC continues to impose price bands whenever the price of a stock rises too rapidly. There may be a case to do so in the case of highly illiquid shares. But there is no doubt that it is a deterrent to day trading. The type of trading that most people are familiar with, is buying stock, waiting for its value to increase, and then selling the stock to take their profit (known as buy and hold trading). But today the market is dominated by short term traders who buy and want to sell at a profit in a day or two or even in the same day. There is of course nothing wrong in such trading. Day traders also want to make a profit when a stock’s value is decreasing, so they need to be able to sell a stock, wait for its value to decrease, and then buy the stock back at a lower price (known as shorting a stock). But unfortunately our market has no provision for short selling and hence this trading option is not available. This undoubtedly makes for large increases in the price of a stock which is in demand by short term traders.

You may read and hear many explanations about stock prices and why they rise and fall like they do. You will hear about the influence of company earnings on stock prices or the economy or the credit market. While all of these factors figure into price changes, they have little direct impact on prices. What these and other factors do is change the balance of supply and demand. Stock prices are a function of supply and demand. Other influences such as earnings, the economy and so on may affect the desirability of owning (or selling) a stock.

If a company reports surprisingly low earnings, demand for the stock may wither. As it does, the balance between buyers and sellers is changed. Buyers will demand a discount off the existing price and many motivated sellers will accommodate. More sellers than buyers means there is more supply than demand, so the price falls.

But there are other factors too, like the market for control of companies which also affect the balance of supply and demand. Short term traders can make money only in stocks which have high volatility. It is when a share price fluctuates a lot that the trader can make money. Of course he has to buy when the price is low and sell at its maximum rise. Stocks that have gone up recently, especially those with a lot of press, often attract even more buyers. This obviously drives the price up even higher. People get excited about what they read and see and want a part of the action. They jump into a stock that is already trading at a premium – they buy high. Experienced traders can make money jumping in and out of a stock that’s caught the public’s attention, but it’s not a game for the inexperienced and it’s not investing.

What traders do is to buy a share which is moving rapidly and then sell out when he has made a sufficient profit. There is nothing wrong in that. The imposition of price bands deters such short term trading. High turnover benefit brokers as well as the CSE, the SEC and the government since they get higher income there-by. What then is the rationale for imposing price bands?

The writer is a senior economist and functions as the General Manager at a Colombo based Stock Brokering firm. You can reach him on raja.senanayake712@gmail.com
http://www.news360.lk/in-depth/price-band-impacts-the-%E2%80%9Cday-traders%E2%80%9D-who-dominate-the-market

smallville

smallville

Quite honestly, price bans are imposed on illiquids when those have risen abt 100% in 2-3 days so obviously the ppl who wanted it to drop at the top have already got the gains.. Then comes a price ban and the share comes down abt 50% -70% in the banned 5 days... Then the last day big shots collect again and push up the price from next day onwards.. Ultimately again retailers get caught and end up burning their money..
So these so called price bans are highly speculative in nature too and most probably are biased towards big guns too..

Seemed to me these are pre arrange deals with every1 involved.. ITs just my thoughts I've not implied it is always Wink

So shares going up due to manipulation, speculation of some news, rumors.. And now-a-days most importantly not for good financials Wink There are less investors in CSE now.. its the foolishness of the authorities that take the pride in lettin the ppl down that CSE became a nonsense to many.. And they still trying to come up with some other Gilmarts too as this Gonibilla is not too effectively supporting their goals.. Wink

After all these are Asia's Wonder country.. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Meta Trader

Meta Trader

Here is my own interpretation of price band.

Price band = Curfew

When there is a curfew normal people think it is for there own protection. It may seems technically be true but real purpose of it the protection of VIP and there staff.

and this very same thing can apply to interpret this Price band .

normal retail investors think this price band is for their own protection But what they don't see or ignore is people with special power ( HNWI ) can walk freely during this price band and do what ever they want to do as they please.

StocksWatch

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

mark wrote:actually i lost 80%,because of this price band.... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

That makes me think that you have chased lots of speculative shares Wink

pushpakumara

tubal wrote:
pushpakumara wrote:Hi Tubal

I think you are new here. If you hang around you will find that the vast majority of people here disagree that prices go up most because of manipulations. YOu talk about educating investors but there people are really not investors and many members hear have tried to educate them and got negative reps. I am not talking of one specific negative rep i have got. I've got bucket loads of them. Many of the others here who speak the truth seem to have got similar numbers.

Hi Tubal

No worries, after I completed typing the reply , suddenly logged out automaticaly from forum, may be due to internet problem. So I am re typing the reply.

If you can speak out the truth and share your knowledge in the forum, for me you are a great guy. It is upto inteligent readers to decide whether you deserve a + or - rep.

In my case If I can gain some knowledge from the forum and share my little knowledge that will stisfy me at the end of the day. I am ofcourse not that concerned about -/+ rep. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum