FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Today at 9:08 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Yesterday at 9:13 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by thankrishan Wed May 15, 2024 1:58 pm

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by ChooBoy Fri May 10, 2024 5:29 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Maharaja's Advice

+97
FireandWater
Champ888
gayan1987
Wickyz
shihan 93
subash81
Eranga87
Dharshi
judecroos
Quibit
Mithooshan
hiransilva23
kingraj1
Chithi
geesura
Ruwan925
roshan1039
npgslnawa
Eng Krishantha
Promoney
Kipling
thestock123
Riz123
celtic tiger
xhunter
dayandacool
KavinduTM
Uaecoindubai
hammurabi
God Father
kalu351
ChooBoy
Sstar
mahasona2
dmtmadusanka
arun.cse
prabath
THUWA
AshvineeV
nosf766
janith123
Kokoshka
pererap
Rukshan28
soileconomy
sahan8896
chamith
skyfall
Yahapalanaya
hasitha@CSE
anjelo
Avon
Small Investor
TraderCSE
sampath.anuradha
wisdom79
cechjozef36
lishanthan
kdktec
reyaz
DS Wijesinghe
Ryan Hudson
easthetic
ruwan326
Eugine Fernando
dsam
Lucky Gamage
Rifanmoh
EquityChamp
ranferdi
Chinwi
Miss-Sangeetha
TARGET
Vacations To Sri Lanka
sanjulanka
fireshelter
pure equity
Jaya sri
Suranga malli
nimantha80
samaritan
sureshot
stockback
Teller
Aqua
worthiness
jayathu
EquityChemp
Mubin Mustafa
Nuwan Prasad
Pac-man
chamil1
Gainer
D.G.Dayaratne
TIRAN712
sisira.wijeweera
Maharaja
101 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 23 ... 33  Next

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 33]

301Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:26 pm

Maharaja

Expert
Expert

C.B Governor is only a puppet. I can prove my prediction clearly.

Now he is saying epf is already buying bonds again. Did bond market rise ? No its falling daily. Daily foreign outflow is rising. Result is taxpayer money used to reduce bond market crash. But they are failing to stop outflows from bond market ! Only result is epf looses money which can be invested more profitably.

Same story to CSE now. 

Maharaja

302Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:06 pm

Eugine Fernando

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Maharaja wrote:C.B Governor is only a puppet. I can prove my prediction clearly.

Now he is saying epf is already buying bonds again. Did bond market rise ? No its falling daily. Daily foreign outflow is rising. Result is taxpayer money used to reduce bond market crash. But they are failing to stop outflows from bond market ! Only result is epf looses money which can be invested more profitably.

Same story to CSE now. 

Maharaja
Maharaja I think you don't have any shares in your portfolio, as you have asked forum members to sell you would have sold all your portfolio before any body else., so why are you wasting your time here, why don't you come back in 2020.  I have my doubts you  are doing a contract  of Basil Rajapaksa, how much he is paying for this.  We are Here to earn some money not like you  to promote any politician or any political party. Even  mara has used E.P.F Fund to boost the market during his regim.

303Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:59 pm

ranferdi

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

dsam wrote:
ranferdi wrote:
Maharaja wrote:
ranferdi wrote:
Maharaja wrote:Try to understand - Everyone who has big accounts are finding buyers to exit the portfolios.
Foreigners are struggling to clear accounts.

But no one wants to buy because 98% of company performance is declining. (except exporting companies). Country's economy is collapsing.

Whats the solution ? Putting epf money to this crashing stock market and loosing tax payer money.
It will not stop the market decline. 

eg: JKH Main shareholder wants to sell stake. EPF not big even to buy 20% of that stake. 

Maharaja

You are telling JKH main stake holder wants to sell and EPF is not enough to buy 20% of that...… This is a lie.

JKH total market capitalization is 195 Billion, Total EPF Fund value is 1281 Billion... Your sole intent is to lie deceive and drag the market down. To vandalize economy and then to bring back MARA.....

Its very hard when you dont have proper knowledge. 
Each time like children you cry.

A fund cannot invest like retailers invest. There are rules and committee guidelines.  Khazanah holds 10% + of jkh /19.5 Bn, epf cannot buy such big stake unless their portfolio rules change.

epf Fund value means - epf market cap. and not cash at hand. Learn the difference.

So as i said this is not a solution and will not stop ASI falling 

Maharaja

I know EPF is not going to put all their monies into market. But As I know they have setup guidelines now.. I am not aware what is the cap for Share market investments. But this action will definitely bring life to market. My problem is you always not looking at the positive side but only negative side.
Pls. let me know few positive side of this market.

Market is an indicator of economy...

few positive moves in economy..

Government successfully managing debt crisis created by Rajapassa
Currunt Foreign reserves stands at 9.4 Billion
Year on Year Month on Month Tourist arrivals rising
YEar on year month on month export earnings increasing
Lankan rupee depreciation ratio for the year against USD is lower than of other Asian Peers.

What else you need.. we are on the right track. But Factually we cannot show Majic..

http://::::THIS EMAIL DOESNT WORK.. PLEASE CONTACT ME ON FB ACCO

304Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:32 pm

samaritan

President has at last realized that the UNP hierarchy in order to victimize certain individuals & Listed Companies in the pretext of maintaining highest level of discipline in the stock market caused panic, confusion and uncertainties at the outset to scare away the investors and on the other hand meticulously planned and executed the Central Bank Robbery.

Hope there may be more unforeseeable actions that may benefit the CSE.

305Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:22 pm

dsam

ranferdi wrote:
dsam wrote:
ranferdi wrote:
Maharaja wrote:
ranferdi wrote:
Maharaja wrote:Try to understand - Everyone who has big accounts are finding buyers to exit the portfolios.

But no one wants to buy because 98% of company performance is declining. (except exporting companies). Country's economy is collapsing.

Whats the solution ? Putting epf money to this crashing stock market and loosing tax payer money.

eg: JKH Main shareholder wants to sell stake. EPF not big even to buy 20% of that stake. 

Maharaja

You are telling JKH main stake holder wants to sell and EPF is not enough to buy 20% of that...… This is a lie.

JKH total market capitalization is 195 Billion, Total EPF Fund value is 1281 Billion... Your sole intent is to lie deceive and drag the market down. To vandalize economy and then to bring back MARA.....

A fund cannot invest like retailers invest. There are rules and committee guidelines.  Khazanah holds 10% + of jkh /19.5 Bn, epf cannot buy such big stake unless their portfolio rules change.

epf Fund value means - epf market cap. and not cash at hand. Learn the difference.

Maharaja

I know EPF is not going to put all their monies into market. But As I know they have setup guidelines now.. I am not aware what is the cap for Share market investments. But this action will definitely bring life to market. My problem is you always not looking at the positive side but only negative side.

Lankan rupee depreciation ratio for the year against USD is lower than of other Asian Peers.

What else you need.. we are on the right track. But Factually we cannot show Majic..
according to above positive factors in SL economy,Why foreign still away from our market?I heard month of June nett foreign inflow was USD 300000.

306Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:10 am

stockback

Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

crash landing Talks will be over soon..

start to think in New Path....

307Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:36 am

stockback

Maharaja Gona anna.

EPF and ETF holding 2300 Billions.

EPF and ETF can buy 80% from CSE...

stop Political agenda...

try to make some money and make your political decision at 2020

308Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:42 am

stockback

EPF make nearly 150 Billions from Bond and Bill Investment 
think Interest 10% then easily making 150 Billions.

EPF invest around 50 Billions in stock market. then ASPI will move to 7000 level easily.

when EPF investing. then Local Funds and individual Money will come also. 

Bond and Bill rates are falling now. One year Bill rate is 8.99 now.

CSE should react according to this

309Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:46 am

stockback

Maharaja wrote:C.B Governor is only a puppet. I can prove my prediction clearly.

Same story to CSE now. 

Maharaja

rates falling. that means Value of Bonds are going up.
if you dont understand the subject then dont speak.

how much foreign holding in Rupee Bond. that is less-than 5 Percent.

are  they moving from country or Moving to SLDB (USD Bonds)

310Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:50 am

stockback

Maharaja 2011 di Gran gaththe 232 ta.

JKH gaththe 304 ta sold around 190 level.

nikan Punnaku kana minissu wenne nathuwa as deka rala kiyak hari hoya ganna. 2020 de deshapalana thinduwa ganna echcharai....

311Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Welcome back to SLEF Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:39 am

ruwan326

ruwan326

Good to see Stockback here again Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Some people think they are born with a political party just like their gender Wink Wink Wink

They blame the political parties even they got loose motion Very Happy

As an investor/trader you need to find all the opportunities to make better investment and trading to make profits.

Well, now lets talk about take off instead of crashing lol!

312Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:14 am

ranferdi

ranferdi

dsam wrote:
ranferdi wrote:
dsam wrote:
ranferdi wrote:
Maharaja wrote:
ranferdi wrote:

Maharaja

Maharaja

according to above positive factors in SL economy,Why foreign still away from our market?I heard month of June nett foreign inflow was USD 300000.

I guess you mis quoted foreing inflow to outflow.. Anyways… As I see only reason for this should be political uncertainity.. The ones like Maharaja is fueling the same by posting most unethically biased comments. 

AS what I believe when a government is elected the opposition should be give them support to rule the country but in our country what happens is that opposition doesn't allow government to do their work obstructing each and every possible way.

No wonder we are a third world country,

http://::::THIS EMAIL DOESNT WORK.. PLEASE CONTACT ME ON FB ACCO

313Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:55 pm

Maharaja

Expert
Expert

Some idiots jump and laugh at Maharaja now thinking market turned. 
Market has not turned only foreigners selling and locals buying thinking epf can slow the market crash. Yesterday jkh crossings -all sold by foreigners. 

ASI will hit 5800 as predicted. 

Maharaja

314Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:20 pm

stockback

Most important thing is. Money Inflow to Market.

if Money Inflow then we no need to worry about who is holding it. Local or Foreign.

Cash Inflow is Key factor.

another 50-80 Billions Inflow to CSE. then ASPI move to 7000 level at least.

315Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:07 am

sanjulanka

මහරාජ මහතා හුගක් වැදගත් විදියට අපිට උපදෙස් දුන්න.බොහොමත් ස්තුතියි.දේශපාලනය නැතුව ඔබතුමා කටයුතු කරනවනම් හුගක් වටිනව.දේශිය හෝ විදේශිය මිළට ගැනුම් සහ විකුනුම් වලින් කොටස් වෙළද පොළ පවතින බව අපි කවුරුත් දන්නවනෙ.ගිය වසරෙත් අවසානයට පෙර(සි0ගර් ගනු දෙනුවට පෙර )විදේශිය මිළට ගැනුම් තිබුන.ඒ දවස්වල අපේ කට්ටිය විකුනුව.හැමෝම අඩු මිළට විකුනන්න කැමති නැති නිස මටනම් හිතෙන්නෙ ඉටිෆ් එකත් එන හින්ද ල0කාවෙ ආයොජකයො කොටස් මිළදි ගනී කියලයි.කොහොමත් ල0කාව ටිකෙන් ටික ඉදිරියට යනව කියල පේන නිස 2020දි විකුනන්න හරි දැන් ගත්තොත් අයොජකයින්ට යහපත් කියලයි හිතෙන්නෙ.ඔබගෙ දායකත්වය ඉතා වැදගත් අපිව දිගටම දැනුවත් කරන්න.ස්තුතියි.

316Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:14 pm

DS Wijesinghe

stockback wrote:EPF make nearly 150 Billions from Bond and Bill Investment 
think Interest 10% then easily making 150 Billions.

EPF invest around 50 Billions in stock market. then ASPI will move to 7000 level easily.

when EPF investing. then Local Funds and individual Money will come also. 

Bond and Bill rates are falling now. One year Bill rate is 8.99 now.

CSE should react according to this

This may be basic stuff, but could you please explain as much as possible in plain language, how CSE should react or ought to react when bond rates go down

317Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:18 pm

DS Wijesinghe

stockback wrote:Maharaja 2011 di Gran gaththe 232 ta.

nikan Punnaku kana minissu wenne nathuwa as deka rala kiyak hari hoya ganna. 2020 de deshapalana thinduwa ganna echcharai....

I am baffled.

Maharaja's profile indicates he has joined this forum on 15th May 2015 but you are referring to 2 transactions dating to 2011

Do you know Maharaja personally? Otherwise how do you know that he bought JKH @ 304 and sold @ 190/-

318Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:27 pm

stockback

DS Wijesinghe wrote:

I am baffled.

Maharaja's profile indicates he has joined this forum on 15th May 2015 but you are referring to 2 transactions dating to 2011

Do you know Maharaja personally? Otherwise how do you know that he bought JKH @ 304 and sold @ 190/-

this is different maharaja. Appachi Maharaja.

not this stupid political slave...

319Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:33 pm

DS Wijesinghe

stockback wrote:
DS Wijesinghe wrote:

I am baffled.

this is different maharaja. Appachi Maharaja.

not this stupid political slave...
Sorry not clear to me. Anyway if you don't want to give a clear direct answer, just forget my query.

I have posted another query on your comments about bonds. If you can pls repond

320Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:34 pm

stockback

I am talking about EPF transaction under Mahajano.... Time.,

not this penda

321Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:35 pm

stockback

I will explain at right time. I think it's too early to explain this and promote it.

322Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:40 pm

DS Wijesinghe

stockback wrote:I will explain at right time. I think it's too early to explain this and promote it.

I will not take your explanation as a promotion

But your comments on Bonds give the impression to me that when Bond rates are falling, it will have a positive impact on CSE and CSE should rise.

Theoretically how does that should happen?

323Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:46 pm

DS Wijesinghe

stockback wrote:I am talking about EPF transaction under Mahajano.... Time.,

not this penda
okayy your comment was a Political Comment directed at the former President Mahinda Rahapaksha

Now it is clear to me that you were not referring to a personal financial transaction of Maharaja in this forum

324Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:33 pm

Maharaja

Expert
Expert

Market will fall. Actually it fell down during last two sessions. But ASI adjusted to keep it green by buying CINS,CTC,SLT etc.
Foreign selling is continuing market will turn down soon.

Maharaja

325Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:42 pm

samaritan

Maharaja wrote:Market will fall. Actually it fell down during last two sessions. But ASI adjusted to keep it green by buying CINS,CTC,SLT etc.

Maharaja
The Govt will turn down soon and the market will turn up.Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Icon_biggrin

326Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:01 pm

ruwan326

ruwan326

Maharaja wrote:Market will fall. Actually it fell down during last two sessions. But ASI adjusted to keep it green by buying CINS,CTC,SLT etc.

Maharaja
Wow............. Really they adjust??????? How ????? Did you saw how they did it????? You got any source?????? Is it uncle Sumanadasa??????  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Images15

327Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:46 pm

Maharaja

Expert
Expert

samaritan wrote:

Maharaja
The Govt will turn down soon and the market will turn up.Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Icon_biggrin

Samaritan, 
I expect change after election only. 

Maharaja

328Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:05 am

chamith

chamith

Maharaja wrote:I guarantee you a big market fall. 
Exit Immediately !!!
Buyers - wait till 2020

Maharaja
Invest in Cryptos guys. Buy Bitcoins

329Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Empty Re: Maharaja's Advice Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:12 am

ruwan326

ruwan326

Maharaja wrote:
samaritan wrote:

Maharaja

Samaritan, 
I expect change after election only. 

Maharaja
OR YES Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

If we born this year we will believe you..............
Is there any brain capacity left in your brain Maharaja????????

What is the guarantee that previous government will not do the same mistake they done in 2009/2010?????????

Share market scandal erupts in Sri Lanka-Saturday, 15 September 2012

World Socialist Web Site: A scandal over the manipulation of shares on the Colombo Stock Exchange has erupted in recent weeks, after former Sri Lankan Securities Exchange Commission (SEC) Chairman Thilak Karunaratne accused Government ministers of acting in league with speculators.

Karunaratne was pressured by President Mahinda Rajapaksa to quit his position, just nine months after his appointment. The apparent reason for his ouster was that the SEC had commenced investigations into 17 companies accused of abusing the share market.

Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 01TVMAHINDA_RAJAPAK_909370e

After his resignation, Karunaratne told the media of “daylight robbery” by a “stock market mafia” closely connected to Government leaders, including Rajapaksa.

Karunaratne is a politician as well as a businessman. He was a founding leader of the Sinhala chauvinist Jathika Hela Urumaya (JHU), then joined the right-wing United National Party (UNP). Just before the presidential election in January 2010, he switched to Rajapaksa’s Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP).

The SEC is the “regulating authority” appointed by the president to oversee the Colombo stock market. Rajapaksa has used his powers to install chairpersons loyal to the Government. Karunaratne’s predecessor Indrani Sugathadasa, who resigned in similar circumstances, is the wife of the President’s Secretary, Lalith Weeratunga.

The latest scandal has provided a glimpse into the operations of a parasitic layer of financial speculators who have been nurtured by the Rajapaksa Government since the end of the country’s longstanding civil war. After the defeat of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in May 2009, the Colombo all share price index soared — from 1,631 points in 2008 to 7,800 points in February 2011.

Rajapaksa pointed to the rocketing share prices as proof of his Government’s economic success. The financial press hailed “one of the best performing share markets in the world,” but the “success,” amid the global financial crisis, was built on rampant speculation.

In early 2011, the bubble burst and the index is currently hovering around 5,000 points. Foreign investors have been withdrawing funds and Colombo is rated as one of the world’s “worst performing” markets.

Karunaratne admitted that speculation had been a major factor in the share price rises. “The major contribution came from people who used unfair means in pumping up the market, which made it reach extreme high levels,” he told the media.

Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 IMG_0750The former SEC Chairman has not named the 17 companies that he placed under investigation. But he hinted at their identities by citing cases where prices had dramatically risen between the end of 2009 and end of 2010. Over that year, the share prices of Dankotuwa Porcelain, Blue Diamonds, Asian Alliance Insurance, Lanka Hospitals and HVA Foods stock increased by 226, 270, 177, 204 and 394 per cent respectively.

A Sunday Times editorial last weekend, entitled ‘Jackals and mafia of crooks,’ commented: “It is common tattle that many of the 17 ‘suspects’ are closely linked to the ruling elite. This linkage extends to the level of financing the political campaigns of the rulers, and even more, acting for them as front men.”

In a scheme known as “pumping and dumping,” major dealers encouraged investors to put money into particular shares, promising huge returns. When the share price reached a certain level, the dealers sold out, making staggering profits, and prices fell sharply. Small share holders, who had in many cases invested their savings and pensions, were hit with heavy losses.

The Central Bank encouraged this speculative frenzy by releasing money from the Employees Provident Fund (EPF), the country’s biggest pension fund, to purchase shares, including in ailing companies such as Galadari Hotels, Laugfs Gas, Piramal Glass Ceylon, Ceylon Grain Elevators and Browns. The release of EPF cash for private sector investment was a longstanding demand of the International Monetary Fund (IMF).

The results have been disastrous. For example, the EPF purchased 23.7 million shares in the loss-making Galadari Hotels at a price of 32.50 rupees a share in 2010 from Nawaloka Hospitals. By July 2012, the share price had plummeted to 11 rupees, resulting in a loss of 500 million rupees for the EPF. Overall, the EPF had lost about 6 billion rupees by the middle of this year.

The newly-appointed SEC Chairman, Nalaka Godahewa, is well connected to the Government as well. He was given the job despite heading the Colombo Lands and Development (CLD), which is also under a cloud for share manipulation.

The CLD had been a prominent Colombo real estate developer but was restructured into a joint venture with the Urban Development Authority (UDA). In 2010, the Government put the UDA, a civilian body, under the Defence Ministry, which is headed by Gotabaya Rajapakse, the President’s brother.

Maharaja's Advice - Page 13 Nalaka-GodahewaThe UDA is central to the Government plans to develop Colombo as a major “commercial hub,” primarily through the eviction of some 70,000 shanty dwellers. The security forces have already forcibly removed hundreds of families.

One of those recently identified by the media as a member of the “stock market mafia” also has government connections. Dilith Jayaweera, head of Divasa Equity, recently admitted meeting with Gotabaya Rajapaksa to discuss share market affairs. Gotabaya Rajapaksa arranged for Jayaweera, who was known for demanding a free hand for share dealers, to meet with SEC Chairman Karunaratne.

The eruption of the share market scandal points to deep dissatisfaction among layers of the corporate elite with the Rajapaksa Government and its business cronies. The Ceylon Chamber of Commerce has expressed concern over Karunaratne’s resignation, warning that it would send the wrong signal to foreign investors.

These divisions in ruling circles have opened up amid the worsening global economic breakdown, which is impacting heavily on the Sri Lankan economy through declining exports and an emerging balance of payments crisis.

The scandal has revealed a parasitic layer of speculators and share price manipulators operating in collaboration with the government, which will inevitably attempt to pass the burden of the losses onto the working people.

http://www.ft.lk/article/109712/Share-market-scandal-erupts-in-Sri-Lanka

DS Wijesinghe

3 1/2 years after the biggest financial crime in Sri Lanka’s history, no one in government has been held accountable or successfully prosecuted.

COLOMBO (News 1st) – Today marks the third anniversary of the infamous bond auction of February 27,   2015.
Three years ago the Central Bank of Sri Lanka, under Governor Arjuna Mahendran, advertised a bond of Rs 1 Billion for 30 years. When the auction closed, the Governor decided to take up twenty times that value – Rs 20 Billion.
In the face of opposition from Central Bank personnel, he decided to reduce that to Rs 10 billion. Perpetual Treasuries ended up with the lion’s share of the Rs 10 Billion, and part of it was achieved at an extraordinarily high rate of 12.05 %.
The rate prevailing before this auction was in the region of 9.85%.
Significantly, the Bank of Ceylon, also a primary dealer, made a bid for and on behalf of Perpetual Treasuries.
As public concern grew and the media interest reached new levels, Prime Minister Wickremesinghe decided the matter was worthy of his interest and intervention.  However, the Prime Minister was ambiguous. He said that he ‘insisted’ on a change of system and blamed it on corruption in the previous administration.
Speaker Chamal Rajapaksa invited D.E.W. Gunasekera to be Chairman of COPE in order to investigate the Bond auction on February 27.
On the day the D.E.W. Gunasekera report was to be tabled in parliament, fortuitously for those involved in the bond scam, parliament was dissolved. With that, the inquiries into the bond scandal came to a halt.
A notable feature of the COPE report was that Arjuna Mahendran, under oath, stated that he had ‘only followed the Prime Minister’s instructions’.
Three months after parliamentary elections in August 2015, the Prime Minister Wickremesinghe appointed Sunil Handunnetti as Chairman COPE to restart the investigation on November 26, 2015.
The UNP members of COPE signed off the report by adding what has become known as “Footnotes” challenging some of the conclusions of the COPE report.
On January 27,  2017, responding to growing parliamentary and public sentiment, President Sirisena appointed a Presidential Commission of Inquiry to look into the issuance of bonds from February 2015 through to March 31[size=15], 2016.[/size]
For over eleven months the nation looked on in disbelief as the scale of the bond scam was revealed during the Inquiry.
On December 30, 2017, the PCOI delivered the report to President who sent it to the Attorney General’s Department.
In January,  the report was delivered to the Speaker of the House.

Findings on key people in the report were:

1. Arjuna Mahendran acted mala fide and had shared sensitive information that had benefited Perpetual Treasuries.
2. His son-in-law Arjun Aloysius, part owner of Perpetual Treasuries, was alleged to have used his relationship with Mahendran to obtain inside information and make massive profits at the expense of government institutions.
3. Ravi Karunanayake faces allegations of bribery. He was moved out of the post of Finance Minister and was given the Foreign Affairs Ministry. He then resigned in August 2017, following revelations made during the inquiry.
4. Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe was found to have been ill-advised by Mahendran and Dept Governor Samarasiri.

Two key recommendations were made by the PCOI:

1. A Forensic Audit of all the trades conducted by Perpetual Treasuries and other primary dealers involved in the bond auctions be carried out.
2. To Institute legal action against those accountable.
To this effect, a notice has been issued on Arjuna Mahendran. However, efforts to locate Mahendran in Singapore have failed. He continues to be out of the reach of Sri Lanka’s law enforcement.

Current situation of the said Culprits

Arjun Alosious and Kasun Palisena are currently detained at the Colombo Remand Prison after bail applications were twice refused by the Magistrate.
Ravi Karunanayake is now a backbench MP in parliament, as investigations continue. Ranil Wickremesinghe has now become the Minister of Law and  Order.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 33]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 23 ... 33  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum