FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by samaritan Today at 2:01 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Today at 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by bkasun Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:48 pm

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Day Trading and Profits and full time trading

+10
godswen
rijayasooriya
intelstk
nkalansu
smallville
aladdin
JennyFunny
pushpakumara
invest-abc
Anushka007
14 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Anushka007

Stock Analytic
Stock Analytic

Guys,
Just curious, how much money you guys make during day trading
also any folks doing full time as the job
i want to quit my job and trade (but i have only 1mn) do you think its enough
my job sux

invest-abc

Manager - Equity Analytics

Anushka007 wrote:Guys,
my job sux

I'm a full time trader/investor. But I favor swing trading over day trading...Major drawbacks of day trading at CSE is that
1) Comparatively low liquidity
2) High transaction cost (Commission + taxes)
3) Advance methods such as short selling is not available.

To answer your question, I don't think 1mn is enough to make a living out of full time trading. Also, any type of trading involves high risk. So remember your question asks how much profit you can earn.....but, also think on the lines how much loss you can handle...(more than the profit, important thing for a trader is the amount of loss that you can absorb without being bankrupt..)

pushpakumara

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Dear Anushka

Do not quit the job with that much of money in hand. But I do not know how much you expect for a month from investing in shares. If you are married with kids and paying any rents, loans do not take a chance.

I am telling you this because I did it and I am now without a job and in trouble. (My scenario ofcourse different to you). You know shares are not performing now a days to your wishes. With that money in your hand you can not make a good living unless you are a genius in share trading. (Still I am not sure at present conditions)

Quitting a job is a risky thing as there is no guarantee that you can find suitable job again.

So take a wise decision when it comes to quitting job.

JennyFunny

Day trading is defined as the buying and selling of a security within a single trading day. This can occur in any marketplace but is most common in the foreign-exchange (forex) market and stock market. Typically, day traders are well educated and well funded. They utilize high amounts of leverage and short-term trading strategies to capitalize on small price movements in highly liquid stocks or currencies. Day traders serve two critical functions in the marketplace - they keep the markets running efficiently via arbitrage and they provide much of the markets' liquidity (especially in the stock market). This article will take an objective look at day trading, who does it and how it is done.

The Controversy
Search "day trading" on Google and you will see why there is controversy! The profit potential of day trading is perhaps one of the most debated (and misunderstood) topics on Wall Street. Countless internet scams have capitalized on this confusion by promising enormous returns in a short period. Meanwhile, the media continues to promote this type of trading as a get-rich-quick scheme that always works. The truth lies somewhere in the middle. There are those who engage in this type of trading without sufficient knowledge (or some even admittedly for a gambler's high!); however, there are day traders who are able to make a successful living.

Many professional money managers and financial advisors shy away from day trading, arguing that in most cases the reward does not justify the risk. They often cite that no day trader is world renown, whereas icons like Warren Buffett and Peter Lynch (see The Greatest Investors) are a testament to the success that can be attained by more traditional forms of investing. Conversely, those who do day trade insist there is profit to be made. They say the success rate is inherently lower as a result of the higher complexity and necessary risk of day trading, combined with all the related scams.

Overall, the street remains divided on the issue. At the very least they agree that day trading is not for everyone and involves significant risks. Moreover, it demands an in-depth understanding of how the markets work and various strategies for profiting in the short term. Now we'll take a look at the various aspects of day trading.

Characteristics of a Day Trader
This article will focus on professional day traders - that is, those that trade for a living, not simply as a hobby or for a “gambling high”. These traders are typically well-established in the field and have in-depth knowledge of the marketplace. Here are some of the prerequisites to day trading:

Knowledge and Experience in the Marketplace
Individuals who attempt to day trade without an understanding of market fundamentals often end up losing money.
Sufficient Capital
One cannot expect to make money day trading. Day traders use only risk capital, which they can afford to lose. Not only does this protect them from financial ruin, but it also helps eliminate emotion from their trading. A large amount of capital is often necessary to capitalize effectively on intra-day price movements.
A Strategy
A trader needs an edge over the rest of the market. There are several different strategies that day traders utilize, including: swing trading, arbitrage as well as trading news, among others. These strategies are refined until they produce consistent profits and effectively limit losses.

Discipline
A profitable strategy is useless without discipline. Many day traders end up losing a lot of money because they fail to make trades that meet their own criteria. As they say, “Plan the trade and trade the plan.” Success is impossible without discipline.
Day Trading for a Living
There are two primary divisions of professional day traders: those who work alone and/or those who work for a larger institution. Most day traders who trade for a living work for a large institution. The fact is these people have access to things individual traders could only dream of: a direct line to a dealing desk, large amounts of capital and leverage, expensive analytical software and much more. These traders are typically the ones looking for easy profits that can be made from arbitrage opportunities and news events. The resources to which they have access allow them to capitalize on these less risky day trades before individual traders can react. Individual traders often manage other people's money or simply trade with their own. Few of them have access to a dealing desk; however, they often have strong ties to a brokerage (due to the large amounts of commission spending) and access to other resources. However, the limited scope of these resources prevents them from competing directly with institutional day traders; instead, they are forced to take more risks. Individual traders typically day trade using technical analysis and swing trades - combined with some leverage - to generate adequate profits on such small price movements in highly liquid stocks.

Trading
Day trading demands access to some of the most complex financial services and instruments in the marketplace. Day traders require:
Access to the Trading Desk
This is usually reserved for traders working for larger institutions or those who manage large amounts of money. The dealing desk provides these traders with instantaneous order executions, which can become important, especially when sharp price movements occur. For example, when an acquisition is announced, day traders looking at merger arbitrage can get their orders in before the rest of the market, taking advantage of the price differential.
Multiple News Sources
In the move "Wall Street" Gordon Gekko says that 'information is the most important commodity when trading’. News provides the majority of opportunities day traders capitalize on, so it is imperative to be the first to know when something big happens. The typical trading room contains access to the Dow Jones Newswire, televisions showing CNBC and other news agencies, as well as software that constantly analyzes various other news sources for important stories.
Analytical Software
Trading software is an expensive necessity for most day traders. Those who rely on technical indicators or swing trades rely more on software than news. This software typically contains many features, including:
Automatic pattern recognition - This means that the trading program identifies technical indicators like flags, channels and even more complex indicators like Elliott Wave patterns.
Genetic and neural applications - These are programs that utilize neural networks and genetic algorithms to perfect trading systems to make more accurate predictions of future price movements. (see Neural Trading: Biological Keys to Profit.)
Broker integration - Some of these applications even interface directly with the brokerage, which allows for instantaneous and even automatic execution of trades. This is helpful for eliminating emotion from trading and improving execution times.
Back testing - This allows traders to look at how a certain strategy would have performed in the past in order to predict more accurately how it will perform in the future (although past performance is not always indicative of future results).
Combined these tools provide traders with an edge over the rest of the marketplace. It is easy to see why, without them, so many inexperienced traders lose money.

Conclusion
Although day trading has become somewhat of a controversial phenomenon, its prevalence is undeniable. Day traders, both institutional and individual, play an important role in the marketplace by keeping the markets efficient and liquid. Some argue that individuals should stay away from day trading, while others argue that it is a viable means to profit. And although it is becoming increasingly popular among inexperienced traders, it should be left primarily to those with the skills and resources needed to succeed.

JennyFunny

I personally..do quite a bit of day trading as well as swing trading.
You will need to have a good knowledge of Technical Analysis.
Also try and have a trading strategy-with a set of rules like i have mentioned above.For example:

1)most important thing is to balance your portfolio(ie/your 1MN allocate a particular % for Long term investments and Trading(Day/Swing/Momentum)That way since you are new to trading if you make mistakes and make losses you have some sought of control.Further the amount allocated depends on your risk tolerance level,age,occupation,I also like to look at the overall market to adjust my portfolio.

2)CAP your total portfolio invested in one Stock to 10%(or whatever depending on your risk,etc)

3)If you are day trading you have to make sure by the end of the trading day you have cleared all your holdings.It is critical that you stick to your TRADING RULES.otherwise you will no sooner than later get in trouble.

Let me explain,for example your choose "Equity A",based on your analysis(Momentum,Price,Volatility,Moneyflow,etc).But then for some external reason it falls in price and towards the close you are looking at a loss.you will most likely not sell at the loss.BUT remember the reason you bought the stock is sometimes factored into the price,therefore if you decide to BUY HOLD,you will make severe losses,also then it would not be day trading.

4)Hence Setting a Timeline for you strategy is important

Finally Backtest,backtest,backtest..this the only way of to adjust you strategy and also to track your performance.

Happy Trading

JennyFunny

Sorry one more thing..

I personally prefer Momentum Trading for CSE.
In momentum trading, traders focus on stocks that are moving significantly in one direction on high volume. Momentum traders may hold their positions for a few minutes, a couple of hours or even the entire length of the trading day, depending on how quickly the stock moves and when it changes direction.

This have been giving me a return of about 40%..

Day Trading-30% to about 34%

Swing 3-8%

reason being that swing is so low,because CSE has been in downtrend for the last few months.

*Please do your own research before you start trading.

If you need help,please feel free to ask anymore questions.

Happy Trading...

aladdin

aladdin

my job sux

Investing is not a job. So from the 1st place you have got it wrong. And 1 million is just peanuts in cse and at one or two transaction which goes wrong can ruin your entire life. I know why your asking this question. You might have earn some decent profits in the near future and your mind says that you can live out of this with some easy money rather than working hard at office. This is called the comfort zone in mind. Never get trapped in this comfort zone.

Also in stake of fundamentalism, you should only invest your extra money and not the entire saving or earning or the money you get from debts. Even in budhism it says to invest 2/4 of your earnings. It never says to invest all or to quit from what ever your occupation. I personally know a person who was an engineer. He had invested about 50M or something. But with the LDEV rights issue, he took a high risk and lost about 1.5M in money. So one or two wrong decision can completely wipe you out of the market. In such incident how your gona live ? This is were exsistance of a permanent job comes in handy.

Before completing my comment, i would do one guess, your age should be below 30. This is why you think of quitting the job.

As my signature says I report, you decide.

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

Good posts from all of you..

Be careful when you do day trading.. Minimise your buying on credit as u may have to pay back if something goes wrong..

JennyFunny

Yea..that is good advise from smallville..Smile

nkalansu

Hi there....

If you really think of quitting job.....then have a back up plan as well if your CSE investments do not perform as expected.

Rs. 1 M is not going to be enough for CSE.

Think your job as a cash flow that provide the capital for your investments.

intelstk

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

hey, what is Swing trading??

JennyFunny

This is a style of trading that attempts to capture gains in a stock within one to four days. Swing traders use technical analysis to look for stocks with short-term price momentum. These traders aren't interested in the fundamental or intrinsic value of stocks, but rather in their price trends and patterns.

Happy Trading

JennyFunny

Please refer to this link

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t6787-swing-trading-for-dummies-p#46524

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

my job sux
Day trading is most likely gambling.
So do not quit ur job and put ur money for gambling.
U will definitely loose brother.
If ur job sucks, find another job, till then keep that money.
Share market is not a money machine.
Do not do this mistake buddy.

JennyFunny

ah..not it is not if you know what you are doing..

JennyFunny

it is similar to any type of technical trading.except the time horizon for your trades is LIMITED to a day..as opposed to Swing,Momentum,Trend trading

Having said that if you dont know what you are doing then stay away..

godswen

godswen

I agree smallville, good writing and interesting to read!

RichDad

RichDad

Read RichDad PoorDad

godswen

godswen

RichDad wrote:Read RichDad PoorDad

I've read that! Smile

RichDad

RichDad

godswen wrote:

I've read that! Smile

That's one of the greatest I've read, I am what I am because I read it sometime back. Cheers bro!

JennyFunny

what is it about.?

maheshprabahath

Stock Trader

if i am willing to day trading what is a good sector<<

Aamiable

Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics

overall market need to be upwards,... otherwise it is risky..

Cool

pirate

pirate
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Rich Dad Poor Dad
Try the link..

http://sultanbinnaser.yolasite.com/resources/Rich%20Dad%20,%20Poor%20Dad.pdf

JennyFunny

yea thats correct..since we dont have Short Selling in Srilanka..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum