FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Yesterday at 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by ChooBoy Fri May 10, 2024 5:29 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is ASI heading to 6500 level???

+22
yoyo
Tiger
smallville
RichDad
ISURU
lokuayya
gann
Rstock
RockStock
ashlee
mono
JennyFunny
sanjeewa88
UKboy
duke
wiki
Light of Hope
Academic
shaankh
Genting
dinusha.kiwulegedara
mra
26 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:24 pm

RockStock

Manager - Equity Analytics

Markets are always intelligent, (not always the investors) In SL as well as globally. When they are over valued then follows the corrections automatically. some times they get over corrected in the same way they have got over heated. Just like a movement of a pendulous. My experience in markets is around 10 years, and I have seen plenty of such pendular movements.
if one can remember the longest bear period from 2007-2009, we know many people/companies who invested in those periods(where others were runing away) earned millions. JKH was below 60 those days with very low P/E.

History repeats and CSE heading another bottom of a sinuous wave and some day will reach the peak as well.

If acadamic was talking only about overvalued stocks like CLND,LOFC,GREG and many hotel stocks etc , then I can agree 100 %. but as mono mentioned there are many undervalued quality stocks with low p/e ratio even you disregard the earnings from non-operating income. My opinion is, at this stage we can't use the blanket statement "CSE is heavily overvalued" which I believe is misleading. we can find plenty of good and great opportunities at CSE

27Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:26 pm

Rstock

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

It has to go up after elections, I think. Investor confidence should be the key.

28Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:36 pm

Academic

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

RockStock wrote:Markets are always intelligent, (not always the investors) In SL as well as globally. When they are over valued then follows the corrections automatically. some times they get over corrected in the same way they have got over heated. Just like a movement of a pendulous. My experience in markets is around 10 years, and I have seen plenty of such pendular movements.
if one can remember the longest bear period from 2007-2009, we know many people/companies who invested in those periods(where others were runing away) earned millions. JKH was below 60 those days with very low P/E.

History repeats and CSE heading another bottom of a sinuous wave and some day will reach the peak as well.

If acadamic was talking only about overvalued stocks like CLND,LOFC,GREG and many hotel stocks etc , then I can agree 100 %. but as mono mentioned there are many undervalued quality stocks with low p/e ratio even you disregard the earnings from non-operating income. My opinion is, at this stage we can't use the blanket statement "CSE is heavily overvalued" which I believe is misleading. we can find plenty of good and great opportunities at CSE

Who says gems are not there in SL (except Jafna which is a limestone formation). When I say "whole" it is on average. Just calculate and see what is the on average situation. If market is overvalued as a whole, it should go down as a whole. Simple as it is.

Last edited by Academic on Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added two sentences.)

29Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:27 pm

gann

ASI will stop dropping when you stop selling. simple as that. lol!
remember here at cse you cant short. onlyway the market could go down is by panic selling.

30Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:21 pm

lokuayya

@gann , said it correctly ,Investors are selling ,Selling no stop.
Why they are selling,because the fear of credit clearance,diluting fear(rights and ipo).lack of confidence in the system.

31Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:29 pm

ISURU

ISURU

mra wrote:Is ASI heading to 6500 level???
As I feel 6000 is also possible.

32Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:50 pm

RichDad

RichDad

6000 is possible due to panic selling and margin calls.

What can the investors really do without selling their valuable shares at a loss?

Probably you can try margin trading. Some banking and finance sector institutions are offering 1 to 1 MT facilities on a p.a. rate of 18%

This will not only avoid the retailers selling their valuable stocks at a loss, but also you can earn some bucks. Imagine, you earn 19% p.a. still you've 1% profit. But this is not for those who are on sky high margins.

What are the other pros and cons of margin trading?

33Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:08 pm

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

Have any of you thought the damage done by policy makers them selves? I'm thinking if the regulators were strict on the credit period and not dragged till Sep-Dec, by June 30th we'd have seen the market bottom and recovery now..

You can blame ppl who are geard with emotions when they see losing money.. Everybody will try minimising their losses as waiting and selling tomorrow triggers more loss for them.. Market is keep going down for 3 day then come up 2 days and then again 2-3 days down.. This is the pattern..

When ASI was over 6900 and falling we thought it would fall to 6800 then bounce, instead it went down more.. The more we think its bottom we see more bottom that that the nxe day..
How do u find it feasible to hold on to fundamental share when there are no value in holding due to heavy hammering?
Seriously.. now SEC should allow shorting at this bear period if they intend to drag this credit issue more..

34Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:30 am

Tiger

Tiger
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

RichDad wrote:6000 is possible due to panic selling and margin calls.

What can the investors really do without selling their valuable shares at a loss?

Probably you can try margin trading. Some banking and finance sector institutions are offering 1 to 1 MT facilities on a p.a. rate of 18%

This will not only avoid the retailers selling their valuable stocks at a loss, but also you can earn some bucks. Imagine, you earn 19% p.a. still you've 1% profit. But this is not for those who are on sky high margins.

What are the other pros and cons of margin trading?

People should think twice before utilizing margin facilities at this high interest rates. You should be really lucky to earn more than 18% in this market from normal businesses. Also most sectors are either over valued or fairly valued, so earning above this rate will be a difficult task. Invest money only if you can afford to lose the whole capital.

35Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:24 pm

wiki

Friends i missed this valuable thread (I was out of touch due to my accedemic activities )
It seems i have lost the best part in the discussion.

I accept market is over value (not all stocks but many )

What i feel this market down trend due to systematic risk where entire market is affecting such as

foreign investor sentiment
global security uncertainty
Add hog policy change by regulators

Then stuck of funds in IPOs, PP , Right issues
Lack of credit due to change in margin trading rule
Credit clearance dead lines

I think SL is loosing its International reputation little by little (due to poor vision of rulers) this may also play a part.

All these created lack of investor confidence

@ Accademic - Thanks for your explanation

36Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:58 pm

yoyo

yoyo

smallville wrote:Have any of you thought the damage done by policy makers them selves? I'm thinking if the regulators were strict on the credit period and not dragged till Sep-Dec, by June 30th we'd have seen the market bottom and recovery now..

You can blame ppl who are geard with emotions when they see losing money.. Everybody will try minimising their losses as waiting and selling tomorrow triggers more loss for them.. Market is keep going down for 3 day then come up 2 days and then again 2-3 days down.. This is the pattern..

When ASI was over 6900 and falling we thought it would fall to 6800 then bounce, instead it went down more.. The more we think its bottom we see more bottom that that the nxe day..
How do u find it feasible to hold on to fundamental share when there are no value in holding due to heavy hammering?
Seriously.. now SEC should allow shorting at this bear period if they intend to drag this credit issue more..

Hi Smallville, How Shorting can be used to change the down trend market ? Pls explain for our knowledge...

37Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:41 pm

smallville

smallville

I just saw this, the following has been taken from Investopedia for ease of explanation and modified accordingly;

Short selling is the selling of a stock that the seller doesn't own himself. More specifically, a short sale is the sale of a security that isn't owned by the seller, but that is promised to be delivered.

when you short sell a stock, your broker will lend it to you. The stock will come from the brokerage's own inventory, from another one of the firm's customers, or from another brokerage firm.
The shares are sold and the proceeds are credited to your account.
Sooner or later, you must "close" the short by buying back the same number of shares (called covering) and returning them to your broker.
If the price drops, you can buy back the stock at the lower price and make a profit on the difference.
If the price of the stock rises, you have to buy it back at the higher price, and you lose money.

When an investor goes long on an investment, it means that he or she has bought a stock believing its price will rise in the future.
Conversely, when an investor goes short, he or she is anticipating a decrease in share price.
So u can see that short is a good technique to apply when u see a down trend of a stock which can be made coinfirmed mainly by technical analysis, chart pattern analysis.

Most of the time, you can hold a short for as long as you want but
you must pay the lender of the stock any dividends or rights declared during the course of the loan.
If the stock splits during the course of your short, you'll owe twice the number of shares at half the price.

38Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:46 pm

bakapandithaya

bakapandithaya
Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics

Thnkx smallville

39Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:40 am

sas

sas

nice discussion, thanks everyone who participated Smile
I think I saw this before & ignored, what an idiot am I..

40Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:46 am

ranjanie

Ane I agree with U Sas

41Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:51 am

sas

sas

ranjanie wrote:Ane I agree with U Sas

about the "idiot part" right,... he heeeee.. Very Happy

42Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:54 am

Soundchips

it is not easy to ignore official announcements 50 and 25 . it was officially published in CSE web site. only a small amount may be left. market is going to be green again.

43Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:00 am

sas

sas

Soundchips wrote:it is not easy to ignore official announcements 50 and 25 . it was officially published in CSE web site. only a small amount may be left. market is going to be green again.

oh oh buddy, I think you misunderstood me, I said about the ignoring of this thread started 19th July. Smile

44Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:03 am

Soundchips

sas wrote:
Soundchips wrote:it is not easy to ignore official announcements 50 and 25 . it was officially published in CSE web site. only a small amount may be left. market is going to be green again.

oh oh buddy, I think you misunderstood me, I said about the ignoring of this thread started 19th July. Smile

I thought about 25.

45Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:41 am

yoyo

yoyo

smallville wrote:I just saw this, the following has been taken from Investopedia for ease of explanation and modified accordingly;

Short selling is the selling of a stock that the seller doesn't own himself. More specifically, a short sale is the sale of a security that isn't owned by the seller, but that is promised to be delivered.

when you short sell a stock, your broker will lend it to you. The stock will come from the brokerage's own inventory, from another one of the firm's customers, or from another brokerage firm.
The shares are sold and the proceeds are credited to your account.
Sooner or later, you must "close" the short by buying back the same number of shares (called covering) and returning them to your broker.
If the price drops, you can buy back the stock at the lower price and make a profit on the difference.
If the price of the stock rises, you have to buy it back at the higher price, and you lose money.

When an investor goes long on an investment, it means that he or she has bought a stock believing its price will rise in the future.
Conversely, when an investor goes short, he or she is anticipating a decrease in share price.
So u can see that short is a good technique to apply when u see a down trend of a stock which can be made coinfirmed mainly by technical analysis, chart pattern analysis.

Most of the time, you can hold a short for as long as you want but
you must pay the lender of the stock any dividends or rights declared during the course of the loan.
If the stock splits during the course of your short, you'll owe twice the number of shares at half the price.

Thanks Smallville.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum