FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by ApolloCSE Yesterday at 2:01 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by LAMDA Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:58 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

» ASPI: Undoing GR/Covid19!
by DeepFreakingValue Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 am

» Learn CSE Rules and Regulations with the help of AI Assistant
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:47 am

» Top AI tools in Sri Lanka
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:21 am

» HDFC- Best ever profit reported in 2023
by ApolloCSE Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:43 pm

» WAPO 200% UP
by LAMDA Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:41 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is ASI heading to 6500 level???

+22
yoyo
Tiger
smallville
RichDad
ISURU
lokuayya
gann
Rstock
RockStock
ashlee
mono
JennyFunny
sanjeewa88
UKboy
duke
wiki
Light of Hope
Academic
shaankh
Genting
dinusha.kiwulegedara
mra
26 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:19 pm

mra

mra
Manager - Equity Analytics

Is ASI heading to 6500 level???

2Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:27 pm

dinusha.kiwulegedara

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

YES

That's true my broker said It could be dropped around 6500.. level

3Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:06 pm

Genting

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

I think we may see another 50 point drop tomorrow and then bouncing back on the other day. It may not go to 6500 level. even if its goes it may not stay there that long.

This is my view and I am not an expert.

4Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:14 pm

shaankh

shaankh

will come down to less than 5000. then foriegn fuds will come

5Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:17 pm

Genting

shaankh wrote:will come down to less than 5000. then foriegn fuds will come

affraid

6Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:26 pm

Academic

Genting wrote:I think we may see another 50 point drop tomorrow and then bouncing back on the other day. It may not go to 6500 level. even if its goes it may not stay there that long.

Truth is bitter. Realizing bitterness is even more bitter.

ASI was below 3000 in late 2009 when the bull run started. By now ASI has increased more than by 2 times. Do you think companies in the CSE have improved operational performance (after removing non-recurring capital gains) to justify ASI 6500?

Last edited by Academic on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:22 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : early 2009 corrected as late 2009)

7Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:44 pm

Genting

Academic wrote:

ASI was below 3000 in early 2009 when the bull run started. By now ASI has increased more than by 2 times. Do you think companies in the CSE have improved operational performance (after removing non-recurring capital gains) to justify ASI 6500?

You have raised a really good point

Shall we have small survey to find out what should be the correct ASI to represent the correct status of the companies?

Most of us must be having EPS of each company and we can use nominal PE ratio to find out the nominal market price of those shares and then find out what will be ASI.

Once cannot do it alone, few of us can get together and share the calculations.

8Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:59 pm

Light of Hope

Vice President - Equity Analytics

Academic wrote:
Genting wrote:I think we may see another 50 point drop tomorrow and then bouncing back on the other day. It may not go to 6500 level. even if its goes it may not stay there that long.

ASI was below 3000 in early 2009 when the bull run started. By now ASI has increased more than by 2 times. Do you think companies in the CSE have improved operational performance (after removing non-recurring capital gains) to justify ASI 6500?

most of the fundamental stocks have come down comparatively, more than the ASI. Thanks illiquid runs and penny stock runs, ASI still managing to stay up there. if the ASI to drop further more to justify company earnings, I am scared to think where will the fundamental stocks end??? probably at levels where they were, when ASI was 3000???

9Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:18 pm

wiki

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Academic wrote:

Is it always necessary to improve operational performance by two fold to justify price index at this particular moment. Cant it be justified by future earnings..

10Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:41 pm

duke

wiki wrote:Is it always necessary to improve operational performance by two fold to justify price index at this particular moment. Cant it be justified by future earnings..

When you buy a coconut for planting do you pay for coconuts for couple of years of harvest. No. You just pay the price of the coconut. At the moment CSE stocks are like that. You're paying for years of harvest at the present price levels.

11Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:50 pm

UKboy

UKboy
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

duke wrote:
When you buy a coconut for planting do you pay for coconuts for couple of years of harvest. No. You just pay the price of the coconut. At the moment CSE stocks are like that. You're paying for years of harvest at the present price levels.

Good point Duke,
Some investors like to think that all the complanies at cse have only 1000 shares per counter to trade.
So they buy the shares well in advance to aviod the last minute rush.

12Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:17 pm

sanjeewa88

sanjeewa88

Is there a correct way to calculate the over valued level of ASI?

( I meant something scientific or statistical)

13Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:24 pm

Academic

wiki wrote:Is it always necessary to improve operational performance by two fold to justify price index at this particular moment. Cant it be justified by future earnings..

Wiki you have a valid point. Future earnings can justify share prices. That is why I didn't say operating performance should be doubled to double ASI. We may look at macro changes and form expectations on future performance and value shares. That is what happened from 2009 May through 2010 September. And the market has proven the expectations formed didn't realize so far (for example look at BFI and hotel sectors excluding their one time gains). This is, partially, one reason for this decline. Therefore we expect companies to show year-over-year (YoY) growth in performance in order to extrapolate future performance (as speculation period is over). That is why I say current performance is important. See g is a key input for P/E calculation.

Tailing P/E = (1-b)*(1+g)/(r-g)

Forward P/E = (1-b)/(r-g)

Where: b, r and g are retention ratio, required rate of return and growth rate. And g = ROE*b

duke wrote: When you buy a coconut for planting do you pay for coconuts for couple of years of harvest. No. You just pay the price of the coconut. At the moment CSE stocks are like that. You're paying for years of harvest at the present price levels.

I do not agree with you. The parable buying a coconut is not comparable to purchasing a share. By purchasing a share you get exposure to future events of the company. So you buy not only present but also future (even you are a day trader, once purchased a share, you are exposed to any positive or negative events happen in the company until you sell it). That is current value of a share partly depends on future events that would happen in future.

However buying a share is comparable to buying a coconut estate. When you purchase a coconut estate you buy the exposure to future coconut price fluctuations too. If you have any idea into price of one acre of a coconut estate and a bear land you would realize my argument. Even after adjusting for current harvest and wood value of coconut trees, there is a premium on coconut estate. The concept is much more clear if you think of a tea estate.

In nutshell, share valuation is futuristic, however, futuristic view should be backed by current performance or solid arguments, not just mere speculation like we had during last couple of years.

Last edited by Academic on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

14Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:35 pm

JennyFunny

yea lets try and do a ASI fair value calculation survey..

15Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:37 pm

Academic

sanjeewa88 wrote:Is there a correct way to calculate the over valued level of ASI?

( I meant something scientific or statistical)

Yes. Estimate values for b, r, ROE for the CSE as a whole. For this you may take average retention ratio in CSE listed companies form their annual/quarterly reports as b. For r you may take TB rate plus a spread. Also calculate average ROE from annual/quarterly reports. Substitute these inputs into the equations in the above post and get the value for P/E ratios.

If corresponding P/Es in the CSE are greater than calculated value market is overvalued and if smaller CSE is undervalued.

Hope this may help you.

16Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:46 pm

JennyFunny

@ Academic..great piece of info..

17Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:05 pm

mono

mono

academic i don't buy the overvalued argument one bit. I can name a number of shares that are trading 20-30% below fair-value which keep coming down. If the market is fundementally overvalued the first thing that's going to happen is investors moving money from overvalued shares to undervalued shares. But we're seeing selling across the the board shares which are both over & undervalued. I say credit crunch + IPO & right issues.

18Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Comparing Current and Justified ASI Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:07 pm

Academic

Note I made a correction to equations in the previous post.

Further, if you want to see whether ASI is overvalued follow following steps.

1. Get summation of total earnings in all listed companies for the past year.

2. Substitute into E of trailing P/E equation.

3. Take E to right hand side.

4. The value for P you get now is the justified value for market capitalization.

5. Divide it by base market capitalization. This is the justified value for ASI. ( see how to calculate base market capitalization here http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t6328-how-is-asi-is-calculated#42969 )

6. Compare justified ASI with current ASI and take your decision.

19Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:18 pm

Academic

mono wrote:academic i don't buy the overvalued argument one bit. I can name a number of shares that are trading 20-30% below fair-value which keep coming down. If the market is fundementally overvalued the first thing that's going to happen is investors moving money from overvalued shares to undervalued shares. But we're seeing selling across the the board shares which are both over & undervalued. I say credit crunch + IPO & right issues.

Yes. You know during last couple of years almost all shares went up without any concern for fundamentals. This loose connection between fundamentals and share prices would disappear as new market participants and the market mature. But surly not overnight! Also among others what you mentioned, sentiments too play a role that may correct eventually, IMHO

20Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:23 pm

ashlee

Well I should thank both Academic and Mono for enriching the forum.. There is always something new to learn from your discussions.. I have been in the market for 5 years but my knowledge about these technicals is below average.. This is really good stuff for people like us and the newbies.. Good luck..

21Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:24 pm

RockStock

Markets are always intelligent, (not always the investors) In SL as well as globally. When they are over valued then follows the corrections automatically. some times they get over corrected in the same way they have got over heated. Just like a movement of a pendulous. My experience in markets is around 10 years, and I have seen plenty of such pendular movements.
if one can remember the longest bear period from 2007-2009, we know many people/companies who invested in those periods(where others were runing away) earned millions. JKH was below 60 those days with very low P/E.

History repeats and CSE heading another bottom of a sinuous wave and some day will reach the peak as well.

If acadamic was talking only about overvalued stocks like CLND,LOFC,GREG and many hotel stocks etc , then I can agree 100 %. but as mono mentioned there are many undervalued quality stocks with low p/e ratio even you disregard the earnings from non-operating income. My opinion is, at this stage we can't use the blanket statement "CSE is heavily overvalued" which I believe is misleading. we can find plenty of good and great opportunities at CSE

22Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:26 pm

Rstock

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

It has to go up after elections, I think. Investor confidence should be the key.

23Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:36 pm

Academic

RockStock wrote:Markets are always intelligent, (not always the investors) In SL as well as globally. When they are over valued then follows the corrections automatically. some times they get over corrected in the same way they have got over heated. Just like a movement of a pendulous. My experience in markets is around 10 years, and I have seen plenty of such pendular movements.
if one can remember the longest bear period from 2007-2009, we know many people/companies who invested in those periods(where others were runing away) earned millions. JKH was below 60 those days with very low P/E.

History repeats and CSE heading another bottom of a sinuous wave and some day will reach the peak as well.

If acadamic was talking only about overvalued stocks like CLND,LOFC,GREG and many hotel stocks etc , then I can agree 100 %. but as mono mentioned there are many undervalued quality stocks with low p/e ratio even you disregard the earnings from non-operating income. My opinion is, at this stage we can't use the blanket statement "CSE is heavily overvalued" which I believe is misleading. we can find plenty of good and great opportunities at CSE

Who says gems are not there in SL (except Jafna which is a limestone formation). When I say "whole" it is on average. Just calculate and see what is the on average situation. If market is overvalued as a whole, it should go down as a whole. Simple as it is.

Last edited by Academic on Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added two sentences.)

24Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:27 pm

gann

gann

ASI will stop dropping when you stop selling. simple as that. lol!
remember here at cse you cant short. onlyway the market could go down is by panic selling.

25Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Empty Re: Is ASI heading to 6500 level??? Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:21 pm

lokuayya

@gann , said it correctly ,Investors are selling ,Selling no stop.
Why they are selling,because the fear of credit clearance,diluting fear(rights and ipo).lack of confidence in the system.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum