FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Yesterday at 11:29 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Yesterday at 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

I am clearing my PF...

+11
Investor99
Namalaka
smallville
player
ashlee
WildBear
wiki
ShareShares
Sasanka De Silva
sajeethk
Tiger
15 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I am clearing my PF... Empty I am clearing my PF... Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:00 am

Tiger

Tiger
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

I am clearing even my long term counters and moving to defensive stocks. The whole world is gearing for a global slowdown and SL may not be immune to that. Current market valuations are not up for value for money.

How you read the market for 2011 second half and 2012?

2I am clearing my PF... Empty Re: I am clearing my PF... Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:12 am

sajeethk

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

but when compare to other country still SL have greater potential to have speedy recovery. after 30 yrs of we just finish 3 year still more are to develop and now only some of the land government releasing to the development project. Even global slowdown we can achieve 7-8% GDP growth. still compare to Maldives SL hotel are cheaper for tourist.

3I am clearing my PF... Empty Re: I am clearing my PF... Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:26 am

Sasanka De Silva

Sasanka De Silva
Manager - Equity Analytics

Tiger wrote:I am clearing even my long term counters and moving to defensive stocks. The whole world is gearing for a global slowdown and SL may not be immune to that. Current market valuations are not up for value for money.
I am in for longhaul. Collect bottom fish now and wait Embarassed

4I am clearing my PF... Empty Re: I am clearing my PF... Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:38 am

ShareShares

It is very unlikely to get short term gains nowadays. I also think of changing to medium term stocks with good financials. Safer option. Shares like HAYL,BRWN, BUKI, CARS,SAMP, GUAR, COMB, are a safer options, remains stable due to good financials slight growth can be expected even on a global recession as the PLCs continue to provide excellent financial results.

5I am clearing my PF... Empty Re: I am clearing my PF... Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:54 am

wiki

Due to global slowdown foreign investor are withdrawing from markets around the globe.... but this could be temporary...

CSE does not represent our economy to greater degree; if market down that does not mean our economy is necessarily down and wise versa. Where as in developed countries capital market represent the economy to a greater degree. So in those countries scenario is somewhat different.

some socio-economic factors of 2008 and 2011 (later half and 2012);

Sri Lankan economy 2008
Inflation around28 %
Minimal foreign reserves
We had to struggle for external barrowings
War in the NE
Political instability
Interest rates were high (around 25% were you had to pay ¼ fourth of capital as interest)
No tourism industry at all

Inflation is below 10
We have descent foreign reserve
Conflict is over
Political stability
Interest rate kept low
Growing tourism industry

So medium term to long term prospectus are favorable

Last edited by wiki on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : editing of wording)

6I am clearing my PF... Empty Re: I am clearing my PF... Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:06 am

WildBear

Tiger wrote:I am clearing even my long term counters and moving to defensive stocks. The whole world is gearing for a global slowdown and SL may not be immune to that. Current market valuations are not up for value for money.

Will we be able to buy again JKH at 60,DIST at 50,DIMO at 150,BFL at 10, COMB at 100 as in those days2008-2009 Very Happy Razz pig

I don't think this going to happen. Question

7I am clearing my PF... Empty Re: I am clearing my PF... Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:26 am

ashlee

WildBear wrote:

Will we be able to buy again JKH at 60,DIST at 50,DIMO at 150,BFL at 10, COMB at 100 as in those days2008-2009 Very Happy Razz pig

If you really dig in, you might see some other shares trading aat discounts which have a great potential.. Smile

8I am clearing my PF... Empty Re: I am clearing my PF... Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:48 am

player

player

good,but i feel you are late scratch

9I am clearing my PF... Empty Re: I am clearing my PF... Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:06 am

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

WildBear wrote:

Only in our dreams bro.. This meltdown is temporary and the impact a global slowdown bring to cse is minimum.. Foreigners may move out if they require money, then fear of our investors may bring down the market a little bit. But we've already seen some adverse effects of investor sentiments these few months bringing the market down to 2009 levels for most counters..

Still after good news we're heading on a wrong directions, it occurs to me that we're now actually like lost in between our investments and returns it gives us.. Evil or Very Mad

10I am clearing my PF... Empty Re: I am clearing my PF... Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:17 pm

Namalaka

Namalaka

wiki wrote:
Inflation is below 10
We have descent foreign reserve
Conflict is over
Political stability
Interest rate kept low
Growing tourism industry

So medium term to long term prospectus are favorable

My analysis

Inflation is below 10 - Don't fully trust on this value Rolling Eyes
We have descent foreign reserve - Of course but, big loans Sad
Conflict is over - Laughing
Political stability - Not sure though Rolling Eyes
Interest rate kept low - Gud factor Laughing
Growing tourism industry - Yeah Laughing

Considering all @ one bucket => yes it is better than wht it ws sm 3yrs back Smile

11I am clearing my PF... Empty Re: I am clearing my PF... Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:49 pm

Investor99

In my opinion when compared with other Asian countries SL is placed in a better position as there are a lot of development activities being carried out by the government and the private sector after the end of the 30 year war. Also last quarter results of most of the listed companies are quite good.

The global economic down turn would impact some of the export related industries like garments as US and Euro zone being major importers of garments and the tourism industry.

In any financial crisis people need to eat and drink so the agri food sector and companies that cater to the local needs would not be impacted much.

Only worrying factors are corruption and the rate of inflation which needs to be kept under control or this might have an adverse impact on the economy.

Medium to long term prospects looks very bright for SL.

12I am clearing my PF... Empty Re: I am clearing my PF... Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:35 pm

Kithsiri

Kithsiri
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Investor99 wrote:In my opinion when compared with other Asian countries SL is placed in a better position as there are a lot of development activities being carried out by the government and the private sector after the end of the 30 year war. Also last quarter results of most of the listed companies are quite good.
The global economic down turn would impact some of the export related industries like garments as US and Euro zone being major importers of garments and the tourism industry.
In any financial crisis people need to eat and drink so the agri food sector and companies that cater to the local needs would not be impacted much.
Only worrying factors are corruption and the rate of inflation which needs to be kept under control or this might have an adverse impact on the economy.
Medium to long term prospects looks very bright for SL.
Couldn't agree more.
The inflation number is to be taken with a pinch of salt.
What is stated and what is out there is far apart.
Companies cater to local consumption is a safe bet at this hour due to the US & EU situation.

13I am clearing my PF... Empty Re: I am clearing my PF... Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:40 pm

Tiger

Tiger

Except Player everyone else is advocating to not sell off my PF. My feeling is that market will go down further after couple of days or weeks, many companies have already fairly valued and investing in those will not create any value. Therefore I will take a defensive position in the short term.

I have already disposed 50% of my PF during March-June and out of Balance I will dispose all counters which has profit and book the profits. My overall PF has 10% profit and I will book all that profit and counters which are trading at loss will be kept on Hold.

I will reinvest sales proceeds in defensive stocks.
This will be my strategy at this market, only time will tell whether its a wise move.

Thanks for all your comments, this is my personal view and please obtain professional advice before making your investment decision.

14I am clearing my PF... Empty Re: I am clearing my PF... Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:44 pm

RockStock

Tiger wrote:Except Player everyone else is advocating to not sell off my PF. My feeling is that market will go down further after couple of days or weeks, many companies have already fairly valued and investing in those will not create any value. Therefore I will take a defensive position in the short term.

I have already disposed 50% of my PF during March-June and out of Balance I will dispose all counters which has profit and book the profits. My overall PF has 10% profit and I will book all that profit and counters which are trading at loss will be kept on Hold.

This will be my strategy at this market, only time will tell whether its a wise move.

Thanks for all your comments, this is my personal view and please obtain professional advice before making your investment decision.

Hi, Did you disposed your portfoio before 2008-2009 recession as well. By the way, let us know the defensive counters you selected...

15I am clearing my PF... Empty Re: I am clearing my PF... Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:55 pm

Tiger

Tiger

RockStock wrote:
Tiger wrote:Except Player everyone else is advocating to not sell off my PF. My feeling is that market will go down further after couple of days or weeks, many companies have already fairly valued and investing in those will not create any value. Therefore I will take a defensive position in the short term.

Hi, Did you disposed your portfoio before 2008-2009 recession as well. By the way, let us know the defensive counters you selected...

In 2008-2009 period I was just a small investor, and my PF was below 1Mn so I just kept on playing in the market through trial and error. Now my PF has grown to pretty substantial level so I dont have the same levy that I had at that time, I must now stick to good PF management techniques.

Any how some of my defensive stocks are DOC, LION, DIAL, and CTC.

16I am clearing my PF... Empty Re: I am clearing my PF... Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:17 pm

player

player

if we think same,we cant be different from others...how you become a player if think like others Question ,no you cant...you have to think logically...

ddnt you guys saw the huge crossings happened before market went down to 6500 level Question ,HNWI was advised to sell off at that time and keep the money for speculation purposes..so many sold off at market bringing steep downwards in some counters...
ex-TRAN,CIND,JKH.etc(in here distribution was done to public).

market may rise after you sold,but dnt worry,it cant pass 7500 mark in this year as i feel bcoz of current trend,but it has over 60% chance to go down to 6500 level,
so i still believe you took the right decision........

btw please be wise to buy cash generating counters from that money,regardless its manipulation or speculation.. Smile
first in first out Wink

17I am clearing my PF... Empty Re: I am clearing my PF... Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:17 am

ShareShares

Medium term investments and profit making PLCs with capital gains are a safer option. From this forum learnt that lot of them exit from speculative counters.

18I am clearing my PF... Empty Re: I am clearing my PF... Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:00 pm

chamith

chamith

I also cashed up 50% of my pf. and put 50% of the remaining to VONE. As i feel its a safe counter with high potential when market recovers.

19I am clearing my PF... Empty Re: I am clearing my PF... Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:07 pm

investor1984

investor1984

You name TIGER doesnt match what u r going to do... Better to change it to CHICKEN ... Smile

20I am clearing my PF... Empty Re: I am clearing my PF... Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:36 pm

Tiger

Tiger

investor1984 wrote:

You name TIGER doesnt match what u r going to do... Better to change it to CHICKEN ... Smile

LOL, Only time will tell whether I am a Chicken, Lion, Donkey or a Tiger. lol!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum